Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loose Skin on stomach

• 18-08-2016 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)

I went from 220lbs (15st, 5lbs//99.7kg), to 140lbs (//63.5kg 10st) due to medical reasons, really quickly, and i can just pinch myself and see waves of loose skin which really brings me down. I look at fitness pages on instagram a lot and it seems like they're based on people who are looking to lose weight and I just want something to tone me up. Am I a lost cause right now? The severity of course is on my lower stomach down to my crotch region.

Any advice would be appreciated. Due to medical reasons, I did not expect how quickly it would happen and always heard if you lose weight too quickly, then you're pretty much screwed. Time frame of the weightloss is 8 months

I'm hoping to also, be more involved with this community as I want to be in the best shape i can possibly be. And reading through this thread, I know there will be someone or some people who can give me excellent advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Congratulations on the weight loss.

Sorry to say it but there is no form of exercise that will tighten loose skin. You can tone muscles or lose fat but your skin sits on top of all that and is unaffected by exercise. You could have rock hard washboard abs but the skin sits on top of that.

A main factor for this will be your age. While you are still in your twenties your skin still has good elasticity, therefore it should tighten back up of its own accord, though it will take a long time. Once you are in your thirties your skin starts to lose its elasticity and may not recover. If you are forty or over then forget about it. I would recommend taking a photo of your belly each month so that you can recognise if it is tightening(less wrinkles).

If it doesn't tighten back up and you are positive that you will never put the weight back on and you can't just live with it then you could consider surgery at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Hi everyone :)

I went from 220lbs (15st, 5lbs//99.7kg), to 140lbs (//63.5kg 10st) due to medical reasons, really quickly, and i can just pinch myself and see waves of loose skin which really brings me down. I look at fitness pages on instagram a lot and it seems like they're based on people who are looking to lose weight and I just want something to tone me up. Am I a lost cause right now? The severity of course is on my lower stomach down to my crotch region.

Any advice would be appreciated. Due to medical reasons, I did not expect how quickly it would happen and always heard if you lose weight too quickly, then you're pretty much screwed. Time frame of the weightloss is 8 months

I'm hoping to also, be more involved with this community as I want to be in the best shape i can possibly be. And reading through this thread, I know there will be someone or some people who can give me excellent advice.
    surgery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

Thanks DMcL and Transform for your input. I will continue to workout, even though it may be a little too late for me, but at least this may stop any more damage from happening. I've learned to love the skin i'm in so if i have a few waves so be it!

Thanks so much guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Does Bio-oil help with this at all? I have heard it can help with stretch marks etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I doubt that Bio-oil would help in this situation. Here we are talking about an actual excess of skin. Bio-Oil might be of use for changing the appearance or texture of skin, it might even tighten some pores or slightly remove texture marks. But it is not going cause the excess skin that has been present for years to contract back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

hemorrhoid's cream works wonders.

i am in the same boat after 7 stone weight lost.

its a pain in the hole.

im looking at surgery for when ive maintained for longer but have been told ill have to wait to see if i want to have kids or not.

there is also non surgical skin tightening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Preparation H is an old bodybuilding contest way of tightening that last bit of flab, but I'm not sure how it would go for the OP.. Tbh I doubt it would make much difference at all.

One thing I would suggest OP, since you mention you check out fitness sites ~ don't compare yourself to the unrealistic fitness models you may be viewing on these sites, thats a recipe for disaster.

Advertisement