Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh Cheoill proposed for Galway in 2020

Options
  • 18-08-2016 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think Galway would be like with the All Ireland Fleadh, its kicking off in Ennis this weekend and I'm going down for a few tunes, but I think it would be great craic as I go to them anyway where ever they are. I know this is old news now but I'll link to the Connacht Tribune article.

http://connachttribune.ie/galway-city-sets-sights-on-all-ireland-fleadh-cheoil-909/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Galway would be ideal for the fleadh. The NUIG facilities and campus are perfect for events and competitions and are so close to the city centre. If Galway can handle the crowds during race week than the fleadh should be no problem. Derry got the fleadh during its year as European capital of culture so hopefully Galway will get it for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I think it would be great for Galway. It would be similar venues to the arts festival so Galway is well able to host it. Traffic management on competition days would need to be addressed though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Maybe leave it to Ennis, let them have a small bite of the cherry instead of taking there major tourist attraction away from them we should concentrate on making any one of our many festivals bigger and better. Maybe provide something a little value for money rather than the mentality of squeeze every penny out of tourists approach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Maybe leave it to Ennis, let them have a small bite of the cherry instead of taking there major tourist attraction away from them we should concentrate on making any one of our many festivals bigger and better. Maybe provide something a little value for money rather than the mentality of squeeze every penny out of tourists approach

It's moved around so nothing to say Ennis would have it anyway. Would be great to see it in Galway. Fantastic event. But plenty would say Galway has enough in the summer already.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

No county get the fleadh for than two years in a row. Ennis has 2016 & 2017. Here's hoping Galway gets it for a year at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

It's a great idea and I am confident it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

No county get the fleadh for than two years in a row.

Cavan had it 2010, 2011 and 2012.
    Tullamore had it 2007, 2008, 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_venues_for_All_Ireland_Fleadh_Cheoil_na_h%C3%89ireann

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Maybe it'll be like the oyster festival and we'll just keep it .

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Or have the fleadh in Clarinbridge as an apology for stealing the oyster festival

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

While I have no doubt that Galway would put on an excellent fleadh, having it in towns which get (compared with galway)little in tg way of tourism is a better fit as

1. It has a huge effect in local businesses
    2. Would be the only show in town and so would get massive buy in from locals.

Galway does so well over the summer period, why not have small towns reap the benefits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I agree Bogsnorkler. I think Galway is a bit too big, you'd have people on here moaning about traffic delays because of "some Irish music thing". It has to be a big enough town to accommodate it but still be the main focus of that town for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

2020 is countywide... maybe Balinasloe or Tuam?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Greaney wrote: »
    2020 is countywide... maybe Balinasloe or Tuam?

There's a Comhaltas branch in Ballinasloe alright, but not Tuam

AFAIK, the plan is to host it in NUIG - the county version was held there i 2014 as a practise run.

Advertisement