Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Education Policy will leave me penniless

Options
  • 18-08-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

I am happily resigning from my current position in a large organization to take on a new role.

I owe €1700 in education fees for a Diploma I completed last year.

The company provided funding in full for 4 years and in line with the policy I have to remain in the company for as long as funding was provided. As I'm not, I understand that the funding will have to be repaid.

My problem is that the employer wants to take the full amount from my last paycheck. This, along with a VHI subsidy which has to be deducted will leave me with nothing. Actually less than nothing - a negative balance.

The policy states as follows:

"If a course of study is not successfully completed, they must reimburse the Company for any outlays. Any outstanding monies owed will be deducted from salary if they leave the employment of the Company."

I have offered to repay the amount in installments however the above has just been quoted back to me. Can a company do this? I have a very young child and like everyone I have bills to pay. I am willing to sign whatever mandates are necessary for the money to be deducted from my account over time but can they get away with leaving a person practically destitute? Anyone else experience anything similar?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Usually companies are very explicit about this policy in your contract. As such it's an authorised deduction. You are not entitled to a loan courtesy of the company.
    A bit of personal responsibility comes into it. You took the course. You signed tge contract. You chose to leave.

Some points. 1. Is there Actually a written contract or policy in place that authorises the deduction?
    2. Don't worry about the amount exceeding your paycheck. The balance may be written off. Don't let your company bully you into repaying the shortfall according to their schedule.
    3. You may be entitled to an unemployment benefit. Don't worry about excludion periods. Just get your p45 and required documents such as proof of identity and address and make the claim asap.
    4. You may have overpaid tax. It might not be possible to get the cash repaid straight away but worth pleading your case to the tax office.
    5. Do you have any savings? They'll keep you ticking over. If not, get yourself to mabs. you may need to rely on overdrafts, credit cards, pay some bills late, accept help from family. Cancel expensive mobile phone contracts and tv subscriptions.

Good luck

Edit: missed the bit where you said you're moving to a new job. Not much point contacting the tax office or some of the more extreme measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The company is not "leaving you pennyless". You signed the contract with them. You did the course. You chose to leave for another job before the payback period was over. And you chose to live without any savings. You made yourself "pennyless".

Responsible adults work towards having enough money to live on for 12 weeks in a fairly accessible savings account - so that if they get sick and cannot work, they have money to tide them over until social welfare assistance becomes available.

Since you are moving to a new job, I suggest you ask a bank or family member for a small loan to tide you over until you start getting paid from the new job. And as soon as you have that paid back, take a good hard look at your own financial management.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FitzyLee

Thanks bonyn

I fully understand that it's my responsibility. Just after a loyal 10 years with the company I (perhaps naively) thought there would be some leeway. The company have an excellent reputation, fantastic CSR etc., even an employee assistance scheme when staff are in financial need. I've brought in my share of business also over the years. It's just proving how the tables turn the second you hand in your notice.

I just spoke to HR who advised that it's payroll, not them, that have the problem with paying over time. Apparently it has tax implications. I pleaded my case so they said they would speak to payroll again.

Here's hoping!

Thanks bonyn

I fully understand that it's my responsibility. Just after a loyal 10 years with the company I (perhaps naively) thought there would be some leeway. The company have an excellent reputation, fantastic CSR etc., even an employee assistance scheme when staff are in financial need. I've brought in my share of business also over the years. It's just proving how the tables turn the second you hand in your notice.

I just spoke to HR who advised that it's payroll, not them, that have the problem with paying over time. Apparently it has tax implications. I pleaded my case so they said they would speak to payroll again.

Here's hoping!

To add, family loans are unfortunately not an option for me. There's a million reasons why I don't have enough in savings. My own view of a responsible adult is someone who provides all their child/children need. This doesn't always leave enough for a rainy day fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Responsible adults work towards having enough money to live on for 12 weeks in a fairly accessible savings account - so that if they get sick and cannot work, they have money to tide them over until social welfare assistance becomes available.

Since you are moving to a new job, I suggest you ask a bank or family member for a small loan to tide you over until you start getting paid from the new job. And as soon as you have that paid back, take a good hard look at your own financial management.

What a rude and unhelpful post. You have absolutely no idea what the OP's circumstances are. Well done for being a responsible adult and having three months wages stashed up but the ability to save that money is a privilege that many don't have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Your company are entitled to do this. It's near impossible for a company to pursue an employee for any outstanding balances once an employee is no longer with the company. And to be fair, it's not unreasonable of them either.

These schemes are commonplace and a great way for employers to financially invest in their employees. Hence why they want employees to stick around afterward.

There are tax implications of an interest free loan, but mainly i reckon if they don't deduct it theyre afraid they'll never see the cash again.

Can you write a letter to a senior manager (cc HR), simply stating your record with the company, and that you'd appreciate if they would consider gifting you the exam fee in acknowledgement of your service with the company. Mention that it would alleviate some financial pressures and allow you to transition to a new life post-companyName

It might sound bizarre but it's your best hope. If nothing else it will give someone a laugh

Ultimately, you are taking the training you signed up for and using it to benefit another employer. It would make more sense to ask your new employer to advance you a salary and deduct it from future payslips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for all the comments.

I've just heard back from HR and they have agreed to let me make repayments over 12 months.

What an absolute relief.

I realize entirely that they didn't have to do this and it's outside of the terms of the policy I signed up to. I am appreciative of their flexibility.

Must now remember to take a "good hard look" at my own financial management and save up 3 months salary in order to become a responsible adult. :)

"Yes, children, it's beans again tonight...."

Wow, that's decent of them. Glad it worked out! And yea, it's so important to have a rainy day fund.

I'd also recommend getting the credit limit on your credit card bumped up so that if you ever have a liquidity problem you can stick essentials on it during the month and once you pay the bill on time the purchases will be interest free. It can be much harder to get credit when you actually need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

RWCNT wrote: »
    What a rude and unhelpful post. You have absolutely no idea what the OP's circumstances are. Well done for being a responsible adult and having three months wages stashed up but the ability to save that money is a privilege that many don't have.

Not rude, not unhelpful. Just realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

FitzyLee wrote: »
    Thanks bonyn

Here's hoping!

FitzyLee if you are the employee that shouted at my HR admin yesterday because you neglected to give the correct notice and/or read your contact and the addition you signed in regards to outside funding get your ass to my office pronto and we can have a nice chat. ifs not payroll she just wanted to get you out of her office.

if youre not apologies, its just a bit weird i have the same issue with one of my staffers atm whos surname is very similar to your username.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Great outcome for you OP well done

Thanks for all the comments.

I've just heard back from HR and they have agreed to let me make repayments over 12 months.

What an absolute relief.

I realize entirely that they didn't have to do this and it's outside of the terms of the policy I signed up to. I am appreciative of their flexibility.

Must now remember to take a "good hard look" at my own financial management and save up 3 months salary in order to become a responsible adult. :)

oh okay good to know your not the same person.

savings hard, your company seem sound. best of luck in the new job!

and beans on toast is my favourite dinner! rich or poor.

FitzyLee if you are the employee that shouted at my HR admin yesterday because you neglected to give the correct notice and/or read your contact and the addition you signed in regards to outside funding get your ass to my office pronto and we can have a nice chat. ifs not payroll she just wanted to get you out of her office.

if youre not apologies, its just a bit weird i have the same issue with one of my staffers atm whos surname is very similar to your username.

You're mistaken I'm afraid.

The plot thickens.

To be honest this isn't the tone or forum for HR managers to use when addressing employees ... ever! And livedadream you sound like a real mother-hen in that post.

If the op is leaving your company, let her go without this nonsense as the situation seems to have been remedied.

You're mistaken I'm afraid.

already spotted and addressed it before. :-)
    bonyn wrote: »
    The plot thickens.

To be honest this isn't the tone or forum for HR managers to use when addressing employees ... ever! And livedadream you sound like a real mother-hen in that post.

If the op is leaving your company, let her go without this nonsense as the situation seems to have been remedied.

dude chillax, do you really think im that stupid, that id summon someone to my office via boards.ie?

jesus...

bonyn wrote: »
    The plot thickens.

Thanks bonyn. Just to clarify, I am definitely not the same person. I don't shout and we don't have offices. :)

dude chillax, do you really think im that stupid, that id summon someone to my office via boards.ie?

jesus...

Well, i don't know ya. And i don't want to... sounds like you have some weird little fantasies and I'd rather not hear the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm sure they'd appreciate beans on toast more than having to go into a homeless shelter if you get sick and cannot work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I've brought in my share of business also over the years.

I wonder why people mention stuff like this? It's irrelevent. You brought in business? Great, i'm sure you've been paid for it by means of a wage/salary...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I'm sure they'd appreciate beans on toast more than having to go into a homeless shelter if you get sick and cannot work.

Time and time again you post the most ridiculous things, it's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Why so flippant... you just dodged a bullet here but another one can actually put your kids at risk if you continue with this attitude?

Mmmm, because living on the edge to totally rad right? Safety net? pffft...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RWCNT wrote: »

Bumble has a tendancy to do that.

Get the feeling she operates in a world somewhat different to most. 12 weeks savings in an account. Epic lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

TheDoc wrote: »
    Bumble has a tendancy to do that.

Get the feeling she operates in a world somewhat different to most. 12 weeks savings in an account. Epic lolz

Not 12 weeks savings, but enough to cope for a couple of weeks in the event of unforeseen circumstances like illness or loss of a job. It is important to have an emergency fund when you have kids.

davo10 wrote: »
    It is important to have an emergency fund when you have kids.

Or when a leak takes down half your ceiling
    Or when the car calves
    Or when laptop explodes
    Or when xyz.

Bit silly really to have nothing set to one side for the unforseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

bit of a strange post to make in this thread. :confused: -especially if you dont mean it as your subsequent posts say.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    . 12 weeks savings in an account. Epic lolz
    davo10 wrote: »
    Not 12 weeks savings, but enough to cope for a couple of weeks in the event of unforeseen circumstances like illness or loss of a job. It is important to have an emergency fund when you have kids.

I'd agree. you need to have some savings behind you incase of emergencies. what if somebody had to go to hospital/ boiler broke/washing machine flooded the kitchen/fridge broke overnight & all frozen food thawed out?

I know its particularly difficult for some people to save given their income and required outgoings...but surely people can save something small each month to have an emergency fund?? I'm conscious that may mean doing without...it might mean no tv subscription, or going to bed a little early each day to save on light/esb costs (little things like that can save a couple of euro off a bill which can then go into savings). Unfortunately that can be the only way for some people to get ahead -making sacrifices.

In the op's case belittling people who have no choice but to eat "beans again" is very bad form. Maybe the op needs to have a long hard look at themselves and ask if a small sacrifice from time to time would be worth having a safety net and not go through this stress the next time they move job (or be reliant on the good will of the company)?

daheff wrote: »
    bit of a strange post to make in this thread. :confused: -especially if you dont mean it as your subsequent posts say.

http://bit.ly/2buhvmE

bit strange to address a post that has already been addressed, for no other reason than getting your post count up as well though right?

fact of the matter is not every family can afford a safety net, how about we try to be less judgemental of the stranger asking for help...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Well, this got weird pretty quick.

Congrats OP. Your employer must know you pretty well and are good sports.

Advertisement