Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sat 05/05/18 5km parkrun 35:52
    Splits: 7:06, 7:22, 7:01, 7:08, 7:04
    Was in two minds about doing this considering I had a race the next day. But after a 4 hour journey the night before, the race not on until the following afternoon and the chance to do a different parkrun I couldn't resist. Kept the pace nice and slow, probably could have been slower. I was already quite warm at 9:30/10am. Good hill work in this parkrun and it did help to loosen out the legs.

Sun 06/05/2018 Northwest 10k 1:10:56
    Splits: 6:41, 6:44, 6:40, 6:24, 7:04, 7:26, 7:58, 7:00, 7:42, 6:37
    Turned out to be a very warm day by Letterkenny standards! Got to the start area in plenty of time, picked up our race numbers and rested back in the car for 20 mins. Then went to the track did a bit of a warm up and plenty of stretches, especially my calves which thankfully didn't give me any trouble during the race. There was a good crowd running the race so we tried to position ourselves as near to the back. Race started off and it was slow to get going over the start mat. The first corner was 100m from the start and already I had met 5 people walking abreast.

First km felt ok, making sure not to start out too fast but it didn't feel like I was holding back either. 2nd km felt like I was settled onto a pace but the whole km was exposed to the sun. Pace felt like 10km effort but the watch wasn't agreeing with me so I figured 1:05 was on it's way out the window. 3rd km there was a water station at 2.5km and I made use of that, slowed down to a walk to have a drink and set going again. 4th km was steady pace but still exposed to the sun. 5th km I could start to really feel it now. Any little climb felt like a hill, any bits of shade I could find I was in them, even if that meant running on the footpaths. I was still running with my husband and I could see he was starting to struggle. They had a timer at the 5km point and it said 34:xx so I figured 1:10 was now slipping away now that we were only starting to struggle.

The 6th km involved the big climb that led up to the main street. I was happy that I ran the whole way up last year and I told himself that we were going to do the same this year but nope the hill won out. Up on the main street there was another water station at 6.5km so walk and a sip before heading down the main street and making use of the downhill. Another walk at 7km and a water station at 7.5km. Just after 8km there was an ambulance putting a guy on a stretcher in, there was another guy in a ambulance around the 9km mark. It was run/ walk with my husband for the 8th and 9th km, I'm not gonna lie it was starting to annoy me and I was tempted to run off and leave him! There was a person calling times at the 9km mark, this was actually quite helpful, we were on 64:xx so I knew we weren't going to get under 1:10. Last 500m finally had a bit of shelter and scraped in under 1:11

I found that tough. It was 20c heat out there. Wish I coulda done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Don't be disappointed with that finish time. Sunday was extremely hot and to actually run at all was quite an achievement. Well done on getting to the finish line.

Didn't manage to get out for a run during the week. Got back to my GAA fitness class on Fri evening and I'm only about right now (Monday).

Sat 12/05/18 5km Darkness into Light
    5th year in a row doing DIL. It has built up great support in my home town now that for the 2nd year in a row we couldn't run or jog it, there was such a crowd walking. Not to worry, once the event was well supported, that's all that matters.

Sat 12/05/18 5km parkrun 32:38
    Splits: 6:38, 6:42, 7:05, 6:51, 6:18
    Was pretty tired after minimal sleep, 5 km walk and gym class. First km felt so long, as did the 2nd one! Rest of the run was just keep going, the sooner I finish the sooner I'm done! Was actually surprised at my finish time, I thought I was definitely over 33 mins, it felt like it. I wore my DIL tshirt to parkrun and cotton is not conducive to running on a warm morning!

The planned run for Monday eve went by the wayside as the child didn't feel like going to training, turns out he was coming down with a sore throat.

Weds eve after helping out at coaching I got in the door and decided that as it was a nice evening and I still has my sports clothes on, I would do a quick loop around the block which is 2km. Done in 13:07 and splits were 6:14 and 6:24. Second km was slower as it was uphill and I had to slow right down to cross over the road.

Being good and went to the gym class on Fri night - sweated something serious!

Sat 19/05/2018 5km parkrun 31:26
    Splits: 6:09, 6:24, 6:16, 7:06, 6:20
    Fairly happy with this run, a decent time given how close and heavy it was. First 3 kms were a lovely time but as usual my 4th km was my poorest, I really seem to struggle with this km as it's tough and the body is tiring.

Sun 20/05/2018 5km race/fun run 31:14
    Splits: 5:58, 6:00, 6:34, 6:34, 6:16
    Found out Sat morn that my son's old school was doing a fundraising 5km so we decided Sun morn that we would take part and support it. Turned up wearing a singlet and everyone else was in long sleeves or jackets. So glad I did cos I was roasting after 1.5kms. Started off too fast initially but reigned it in to a nice pace for the first 2 kms and right up to the half way point although the elevation as slightly downhill the whole way. There was a water stop at the turning point and I had to stop here to drink as I knew there were no bins on the way back and I wasn't going carrying an empty cup all the way back. 4th was a bit more of a struggle as it was getting up warm and you could really start to feel the inclines now. But happy out with that time for an off the hop run/race.

Mon 21/5/2018 5km 37:49
    Splits: 7:29, 8:17, 7:46,7:38, 7:44
    It felt like one of those runs where I was wading through treacle, felt like the effort didn't reflect in the time. Obviously it was only a bit of a training run but still. Did something a little different and maybe that's why - I ran my local parkrun course going the opposite direction. 2 of us did it and we set off with a 10 minute interval to suss out if the parkrun was done in reverse some day, where might there be issues, bottlenecks, people meeting, lapping etc. It was actually difficult trying to remember which way to go/not go and the going felt harder than usual.
    Warm up of 1.3km and cool down of 1.4km also done.

Sat 26/05/18 5km parkrun 31:53
    Splits: 6:22, 7:05, 6:28, 6:42, 6:09
    Didn't get out to run again until parkrunday. Was a lovely morning out and I got my first wear out of my new parkun purple 25 volunteering top! First 1km was ok, 2nd ok the sun came out and the person I was running with started to get calf trouble. During the 3rd km I ditched my running partner and headed on. Was slightly amused for the second half of my parkrun - I spotted a girl up ahead alternating between run/walk. I thought I hadn't noticed her at the start or anywhere else on the course up to now. I passed her just after 3km and around 3.5km she popped out through some gap a bit ahead in front of me on the course and she went booting off. Cheeky mare! She slowed back down to a walk again around 4km and I passed her. I kept looking back to see where she was after that and I was determined she wasn't going to finish ahead of me by any means! She did finish a little bit after me. Well that was something to amuse me going along.

Sun 27/05/18 5km 30:16 race/fun run
    Splits: 5:56, 6:12, 6:10, 6:18, 5:51
    Another local school 5km. This one had a good crowd, even had a timing clock and was along a good flat route. Started off too fast but reigned it in after 500m and avoided running over some of the small kids who would stop suddenly, already exhausted! It was quite warm out and while the route was sheltered from any breeze it was not sheltered from the sun! Two walking breaks along my nemesis of a 4km. At 300m to go I glanced at my time and saw that I was in fighting difference of sub 3-0 and tried to dig in. But naw it was after 30mins by the time I got to the line. Me and my bloody 4th km! I think I need someone with me around that point just to give me a little kick up the tail end! I know it's in me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

The 4th km gets us all... I tell myself whatever i need to hear to get me going. I remind myself how chuffed i'll feel if i don't succumb to the pain, i remind myself how good it'll feel reporting here with a good report.... whatever works to get you through that tough patch. Well done none the less, sub 30 is very close no doubt about it. And it was a well paced run, your splits look pretty even and you pulled a fast last km out of the bag, good running :)

Tues 29/05/18 6.24km 46:19
    Splits: 6:56, 6:59, 8:12, 8:13, 7:24, 7:09, 6:00 (0.24)
    Beautiful evening for this run, left it until 9pm when the husband got home and the heat had gotten out of the sun. Paused around 1.5km for a calf stretch, they were fairly tight. On an out and back route and debating whether to do 5 or 6km. Got to 2.5km and walked a bit while deciding, figured I could see the 3km point so I might as well keep going to it. The run back to the house was grand.

Thurs 31/05/18 5km race 32:19
    Splits: 6:15, 6:00, 6:19, 6:33, 6:44
    Fundraising 5km and 5 mile for a local school. Great set up and chip timed. The start line was about 500m from the registration so that served as a nice warm up on an already warm evening. The first 500m of the race was down hill with many small kids milling about so it was difficult to lock in on pace. By the end of the first km the pace was a bit more steady although the road was narrow and uneven. It felt like a tough km and when I seen the time I knew I had no time banked to get under 30 mins but I knew this was never gonna be a sub 3-0 course. 2nd km felt ok, still on narrow and uneven roads. The 3rd km brought us out onto a wider road so less sheltered and getting a bit warmer. One walking break at the start of this km but got going again. The 4th km seen us join up with the 5 mile to take us home. I did the 5 mile last year so I knew what was ahead of me - 1.5km of a climb... It was a struggle the rest of the way. I was tired, it was warm, the first of the 5 milers had passed. When I got to where we started I though grand, the finish is just around the corner, I had forgotten the finish was 500m away and it was a struggle here as I was being passed by a few more 5 milers and it just felt I'd never get to the finish!
    Bit disappointed in my time, I would have preferred to be around the 31min mark. Bloody hills!!

Tues 05/06/18 12.9km cycle
    It was a gorgeous evening, hubbie was busy so myself and the young lad went for a cycle along the Greenway. Nice to see it busy enough for that hour of the evening. Bit of cross training as they call it, backside was a bit sore from the saddle.

Thurs 07/06/18 3.4km 23:30
    Splits: 7:03, 6:58, 6:55, 6:21 (0.4)
    GAP : 7:14, 6:48, 6:39, 6:19 (0.4)
    I've included the GAP splits here as I was going up and downhill. 1st km was easy downhill from the house. 2nd km was back up the hill and half ways back down again. 3rd km was rest of the way downhill and back up the hill quicker this time. 0.4km was just from the top of the hill back towards the house. So two uphills. It was a good workout, will try for a 3rd hill climb the next time.

Fri 08/06/18
    Fitness class in the morning time instead. First time I've done a morning class, I much prefer staying in my bed. Hardest part was getting up out of bed. Sweated something serious in that class.

Sat 09/06/2018 5km parkrun 31:32
    Splits: 6:11, 6:23, 6:26, 7:14, 6:23
    While the sun wasn't out for parkrun, it was so humid and heavy, there wasn't a breath of air out. I still had virtual pacer set on my watch for 5:55 splits from the race the week before and had forgot to switch it off. So my watch was beeping at me a lot more during this run. It was nice when I was "on pace" a few times but I know that pace isn't sustainable for me on this parkrun. Few walking breaks as per usual. I ignored the watch for the later half of the run and I was kinda surprised to see my finish time, I thought I was much nearer to 32mins by feel.

Half Marathon training
    I loosely did a plan up a few weeks ago but hadn't really got it nailed down. So I sat down last week in the sun and put it all down on paper. Much tougher to do out a plan this time around as my husband is also doing the half - it's his half really and I'm just doing it with him. So I had to do out his plan first, then try to work mine around his. Then take into account a family wedding, other commitments and social plans. It was quite hard to do out a plan for someone else, I'm no coach or trainer, neither experienced nor qualified, I can only go by what I've picked up myself over the few years and my own limited personal experience of doing my only half last summer. Himself has a medical condition so him doing a half is quite an achievement in itself and I hope that the plan will be ok for him. His plan is based around HH Nov1 where mine is more HH Nov2 but I've stretched out his last few long runs a little as I think an extra mile on the longer training runs will make a difference on the day. I personally found that from 10 mile onwards on the day was very tough but knowing that I had completed 12 miles in training helped me along.

Mon 11/06/18 10.12 km 1:17:33
    Splits: 7:13, 7:24, 7:02, 7:00, 8:19, 7:51, 8:14, 7:08, 9:20, 7:15, 6:29 (0.1)
    I've had better runs. It felt cooler this evening even though the temp in the car read 16c. I think the easiest way to describe that 10k was running with cement in my shoes! I literally could not lift my feet or legs, it just felt like I couldn't propel my body along. I was running with himself for the first 8km of this, and I kept having to apologise for slowing him down. When he went back to the car at 8km I just walked for most of the 9th km. The last km was actually slightly downhill, I've never noticed it as I usually drive along there. It was a struggle to climb the stairs in work this morning. 5km on the plan for tonight but it will have to be forgone for a trip to the bog instead - I'm sure that bending and lifting counts as cross training, right?!

Busy week last week took up a lot of time and energy. Was away for a long weekend and while I was outdoors for most of the days and walked a good bit, I didn't get out for a run, despite my good intentions of packing my runners. I went over a bit awkwardly on my foot on Weds night at coaching and my calf felt a bit achy on Thurs but I think the walking helped.

Tues 19/06/2018 8km 1:08
    Splits: 6:55, 7:59, 8:43, 7:23, 10:39, 8:42, 9:23, 8:06

Unfortunately that reads more like a walk than a run. The first km I couldn't get into my stride, I was heading on the back road out of town and was meeting the traffic coming home from work and on a narrow road with no hard shoulder or verge I kept having to hop into the ditch! The 2nd km is a gradual incline and the legs were having none of it, likewise with the 3rd km. When that km beeped on the watch I seen a herd of cattle sheltering under a tree and debated whether to nip back into our estate at 3.5km. Nah I said I'd keep going I had a bit of a downhill I'll do 5km instead of the planned 8km. But I turned off for my 8km route and decided with stubbornness that I'll do 8km as per the plan, even it that means walking it. Hubbie and son were out for the evening so I was in no rush home and I was enjoying listening to the new parkrun podcasts. So the rest of the route involved mainly walking with a few bursts of running. I just felt like I had no strength power or energy in my legs, feet or glutes. The rain came just as I was approaching the house but in typical runner style I couldn't stop the watch at 7.8km, I had to run up the street in the rain to round up to 8 even, my neighbours must think I'm mad!

• Advertisement

Fri 22/06/18 13.5km 1hr 40mins - treadmill
    I had got nabbed the previous weekend to help out at a charity treadmill run. I was scheduled to do an hour but ended up doing a bit longer as a few people didn't show so I stuck around for a bit longer and just kept going. Luckily my treadmill was positioned near the door so there was a nice breeze anytime someone walked in. I think I managed a bit better on the treadmill this time around, it was only my second time on a treadmill and am happy enough with this time.
    However I probably should have done a little warm up and cool down. On top of this I also did a fitness class that morning, walked in and out of work and then walked around town after the treadmill run so by night time I found my hips were achy. Feeling like an auld one. I decided to volunteer at parkrun the next morning instead.

Sun 24/06/18 5km 32:23
    Splits: 6:15, 6:31, 6:58, 6:44, 6:32
    My home GAA club were having a fundraising 5km. It's been a while since I ran that route but it's a road I know so it was grand for a run. First km felt ok, there was one climb after the church but it was fine. Just one little water break on the 2nd km but it still felt ok. Also the 3rd km was going ok til I got to the water station, slowed down to walk to take on water and found it hard to get going again. From the turning point at 2.5km and for the next km it was fairly open, there was no shelter and the heat was starting to get to me. Few more walking breaks until I got to 4.5km and I knew I was nearly finished so I dug in.
    I have to say I was a bit disappointed with my time. My strava tells me the last time I did that route was over 3 years ago and my time hasn't changed since then.

Didn't get out for a run at all during the week. 1: it was quite warm, 2: I was too busy with work, housework and trying to get a bit of sun and 3: few issues at home at the minute and I wasn't in the right mind to go running.

Sat 30/06/18 5km parkrun 34:14
    Splits: 6:22, 6:55, 6:43, 7:38, 6:55
    Tried to inject a bit of normality and routine back into our lives with a parkrun. Wasn't sure what way this was going to pan out with the head. I got chatting to 2 others at the start and we ended up chatting the whole way around which distracted from the heat.

Sun 01/07/2018 13km 1:42:49
    Splits: 7:45, 7:34, 7:51, 8:02, 7:49, 7:57, 8:02, 8:07, 7:40, 8:09, 7:23, 8:09, 7:55
    As much I wasn't in the humour to do this run, I knew my husband needed to start getting long runs done for this half marathon. This was his longest run to date. And I was hoping it would get me into half marathon mode. We set off early enough and it was nice and cool to start with, got warm towards the end. The run went ok, himself was happy at the 10 km mark but I've warned him that it's the 2nd half of HM that's tough. He did struggle a little after but he was delighted he did it.

Around 7km I got a soreness on the top of my right calf on the inside of my leg. It wasn't enough to stop me running and it was forgotten about after a while. Since I got home, it's also in the same spot on my left leg also and is a little tender to touch. I soaked my calves in a shallow Epsom salts bath last night and might take the foam roller to them later today.

Not much running done this last week or so. Busy with all that life throws at you! Also away with family so tried to enjoy the catch up. Had a free evening where we all did our own thing and what do ya know - there's a 5k on nearby, sure it'd be rude not to when we had our runners packed....

Fri 13/07/18 5km 29:58
    Splits: 5:55, 6:00, 6:15, 6:12, 5:33
    Friday the 13th, unlucky for some but apparently the day that I officially broke the 30 minute barrier for 5km! Had no intention of trying for sub 30, when we chatted about pace while warming up, I said I'd aim for around 31 but in my own head I thought I was being a bit ambitious. We had been on the sauce since Sunday, plenty of drinks, late nights, dancing and chatting was done all week.
    It was a little strange me being at a race and not recognising anyone, himself however knew a few. Registered and got an ankle strap as the chip timer, that's a new one for me. Quite a lot of club vests, seemed more like a proper race than a run so I positioned myself at the back.
    1st km started off fine, kept an eye on the pace so we didn't start too fast and got comfortable enough.
    2nd km was more of the same, still felt nice and comfortable, down a road I'd never been before so a bit of a look around!
    In the 3rd km there was a water station with cups so I grabbed one and slowed to a quick walk to take on a few mouthfuls.
    4th and usually the hardest km of a course. We had driven in this road and I knew there was a gradual incline for about 500m. Tried to focus on keeping moving but took a brief walking break to sip some water and got going again. We were getting back near the village, surely we were near the end.
    When the last km hit I knew it was just gonna be around the village and the support was great. Just dug in but still I wasn't thinking of sub 30, I knew the finish was where we started at the pier and the last 500m were along the waterfront. But about 300m before the finish there was traffic backed along the road, my pace slowed as I was concentrating on trying to squeeze between traffic and parked cars. Suddenly I noticed the finish sign the other side of the road and swerved across, surprised to see 29:xx on the clock and booted it, I think I closed my eyes crossing the finish line hoping for the best! Official time time through later at 29:58:04.
    Finally sub 30 minute 5km!! :D

On the half marathon training front, not much has been done, energy and motivation is low at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Finally sub 30 minute 5km!! :D
    Fantastic!!!! Well done you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Brilliant! No better feeling than that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done!

"We had been on the sauce since Sunday, plenty of drinks, late nights, dancing and chatting was done all week."

If that's what it takes to get a pb I might give it a go!

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done!

"We had been on the sauce since Sunday, plenty of drinks, late nights, dancing and chatting was done all week."

If that's what it takes to get a pb I might give it a go!
    I know! I've tried (and failed) a few times to go sub 30. I've trained for target 5km races and courses, really focussed on my pace, put pressure on myself etc. And no joy.
    And when I go out and do a race at 7:30pm that I only decided at 5pm to run, being relaxed and not really trying - I end up getting a pb! Screw training and race prep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats! Maybe the fact that you weren't putting any pressure on yourself to go sub-30 made the difference :)

Not having any motivation of late to get out for a run during the week. Nor have I been to the local fitness class either, just not in the humour for it.

Sat 21/07/18 5km parkrun 35:04
    Splits:6:55, 7:29, 6:56, 8:05, 6:24
    Wasn't expecting a whole lot from this run as I hadn't been out for a run in just over a week. My husband was doing parkrun to round off his long run so I used that as a great excuse to take it handy enough.

Sun 22/07/18 15.15km 1:53:53
    Splits: 7:03, 7:14, 7:18, 6:56, 8:55, 8:07, 7:12, 7:46, 7:24, 7:33, 7:13, 7:28, 7:37, 7:23, 7:31, 7:34 (0.15)
    Urgh, I didn't want to do this run but I knew I had to if I wanted to at least make a half-assed attempt at this half marathon. I'm not just doing the half for me, I'm running with someone else and I don't want to let them down or have them carrying me (metaphorically speaking). I knew I had skived off a few long runs in the past month but there's not many weekends left between here and the half so I really have to do them.

Didn't arise bright and early, just got up when I woke and got ready so I was on the road shortly before 9:30am. It got more humid as the run went on. Was going ok for the first few kms. After 4km I just felt a little fed up, I hadn't gone too far and I just felt like packing it in, turning and going home. But look I kept going and when the watched beeped for 5km I realised I had 10km to go and that was doable. Usual spiel of walking breaks for water, just keeping plodding along. Was glad when I hit the outskirts of town again and knew it was 3km from that point to home.

It felt like a harder run than I was expecting. It's the longest run I've done on my own since last summer and I kinda missed the company but a joint long run just didn't suit us this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I missed your sub 30 while i was on holidays, only spotted it now!! Super PB, well done, congratulations :)

• Advertisement

Tues 24/07/18 4.3km 30:57
    Splits: 6:56, 7:14, 7:20, 7:22, 6:41
    I ended up getting out of work early for a change and as I had a spare hour before the child was dropped home I decided to make good use out of it instead of doing housework or getting on the dinner. Laced up the shoes and got out on the road for a bit of a run. I don't know when I last went for a run in the late afternoon but it was warm enough at that time.

Fri 27/07/18 8.4 km 1hr 25 mins
    Had Friday afternoon to myself. Again not sure what to do with myself so stuck on the earphones and a podcast and went for a lovely walk along the cycleway. Enjoyed the relaxation and fresh air.

Sat 28/07/2018 5km parkrun 32:33
    Splits: 6:34, 7:07, 6:26, 7:01, 6:02
    I think at this stage it wouldn't be Saturday without parkrun! I don't know what I set out to do on this run, just complete it really. Ran with some else for most of it, until the last km where they got chatting with someone else and I pushed on ahead a bit. Was a little pleased to see my 4th km not being my slowest km for a change!

Sun 29/07/2018 17km 2hr 20 mins
    Splits: 7:25, 7:22, 9:03, 7:41, 8:32, 8:04, 7:42, 9:17, 7:22, 8:41, 8:44, 8:01, 8:07, 7:51, 9:14, 8:08, 7:45
    The long runs are really stretching out now, mad I've only a few left before the half. Wasn't in much humour to do this one, as usual, but I knew it had to be done, I've missed a number of runs both long and short on this plan and certainly cannot afford to miss any more of the long ones at least.
    Perfect morning for a run, bit cooler and overcast. I took so many walking breaks on this run, not because I needed to but because I wanted to which is worse. Just not in the humour, doing the run cos I had to, not cos I wanted to. Just couldn't get into the zone, you know where your legs just keep ticking over and you forget you're running - nah that didn't happen. I did the same route and distance last year, earlier in the month and did it in 2hr 5 mins last year. I was starting to think about times for the half, was planning to aim for 2hr 30 again but after that run now I'm not so sure.

Had a busy week and didn't get out for a run all week, no surprise there. I did get out for a long walk with a friend and a 22km cycle on the Friday. Legs were a bit tired after the cycle, gave me an inkling as to what I'll be like after the half!

Sat 04/08/2018 5km parkrun 31:18
    Splits: 6:02, 6:19, 5:51, 6:41, 6:15
    parkrun near my husband's homeplace this weekend. A nice run but not an easy one with 3 laps and a few nice climbs. 3rd km shows up fast as most of it was downhill, 4th km was all uphill plus I was lapping someone I know so slowed down to chat and encourage them for a bit. (Yes I know, me lapping someone!)

Mon 06/08/2018 10km 1:16:04
    Splits: 7:37, 8:02, 8:10, 7:43, 6:32, 6:56, 7:40, 7:33, 8:23, 7:18
    This run was supposed to be done on Sun morning. But went out for a few drinks Sat night and was just too tired/not in the humour the next day for a run. Went out again Sun night but was designated driver and was still tired the next day. But I knew we had to get out and do some sort of run. A long long run was out of the question, but felt 10km was enough.
    Oh the first few km were really hard, tempted to turn back a couple of times. Could not get into my stride at all, it felt like such a struggle. When I look back on my Strava data I can see why, it was all climbing for the first 4.5kms! But look after 4kms I kinda got into my stride a bit. From 6 km onwards was stride was broken a bit by being on narrow roads and having to stand in for traffic.

Half marathon is 2 and a half weeks away. I'm feeling less fit, less prepared and less motivated than my first half marathon last year. Not sticking to the plan at all apart from my weekly parkrun and some of my long runs. Going to have to try get some weekday runs done, eat better, sleep better and get water into me.

Tues 07/08/2018 4km 28:39
    Splits: 7:04, 7:04, 7:09, 7:05
    I went out during the week and the day after a tough long run - who am I?! It was late when I went out last night for a short run, I figured any run was better than the usual none I've been going midweek so far. As I had been thinking about times and pacing for the half, I decided I would do the 4km at my proposed half marathon pace of 7:15 per km. The aim was to see can I keep it steady and doable at this pace. First km came in at 7:04, that's ok, much of that km is downhill. For the rest of the run, it felt fine, my splits look steady but pace was a bit up and down, trying to reign in the speed even though I had virtual pacer set up on the watch. I didn't quite nail the half marathon pace though, and I doubt if I could maintain an average of 7:05/km for a half. But it's the first run I've done in a long time where I felt happy after it, I felt comfortable. I just wish I had felt like this all summer.

Thurs 09/08/18 3.8km 38 mins
    Just went out for a walk. I felt I needed to get out but I wasn't in the humour for a run.

Sat 11/08/18 5km parkrun 31:10
    Splits: 6:07, 6:24, 6:29, 6:54, 6:20
    This run was faster than what it should have been, which you don't hear me say to often! Was keeping up with a fella I know is usually around the 30 minute mark and going along at a decent pace. I was heading for the halfway mark when I was meeting people going the other direction who are normally much quicker and they were jogging and chatting. I realised they were taking it easy as they are marathon training and had long runs to do over the weekend. And it dawned on me that I had a long run myself the next morning and I should be going slower too. Tried to ease it up for the rest of the run but kinda forgot about that on the last km! One of my better parkrun times in a while.

Sun 12/08/18 19km 2:26:53
    Splits: 7:21, 7:06, 7:39, 6:56, 8:22, 7:51, 7:49, 7:56, 7:17, 8:03, 7:56, 7:15, 8:04, 7:59, 8:49, 7:41, 7:34, 7:44, 7:23
    The last longest run before the half marathon. This was the dress rehearsal. Learned 1) I need more water, 2) I'm going to wear a light singlet on the day instead of the sleeveless top I wore at last year's half and 3) I prefer Rowntrees fruit pastilles instead of Lidl's own brand.
    It was a grand run, the weather was humid but there was a breeze and some mist every so often to cool things down. Little disappointed that it was 10 minutes slower than the same distance last year and I was just over 2:30 on the day for the half. I am kinda hoping for 2:30 on the day and for my husband too. Must make an effort now over the next 2 weeks to drink lotsa of water, eat right, plenty of sleep and get out for my weekday runs. Kinda didn't do that after the run yesterday, was at a kids birthday party so it was fizzy drinks, sweets and cake and a bouncy castle. Woke up this morning with a sugar hangover and a sore left butt cheek.

Well done on your long run. You will be well able for the half and hopefully the buzz on the day will help you both get your sub 2.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sun 12/08/18 19km 2:26:53
    Little disappointed that it was 10 minutes slower than the same distance last year

I wouldn't worry about this at all. It might be because of the humidity or because of this:
    Sat 11/08/18 5km parkrun 31:10
    One of my better parkrun times in a while.

The main thing is you've another decent long run under your belt before the half.

Tues 14/08/18 5.5km walk approx. 1hr
    I don't think I could physically run last night. I settled for a walk and a podcast.
    Went back to the gym class Mon night for the first time in a few weeks. I knew it would be hard as I'm out of practice but good lord they had a really tough session set up. Of course I gave it my best shot but I think I was overly ambitious, my arms are still sore from lifting the weights. On the plus side, one of the girls said she noticed my cardio parts of the class were quite good so the bit of running must be paying off! Just a pity that what little core I had seems to have disappeared.

Thurs 16/08/18 5.18 km 36:56
    Splits: 6:59, 7:18, 7:29, 6:52, 7:02, 6:47 (0.18)
    This was a 5km run at planned half marathon pace of 7:05min/km. Pace was a bit up and down, had digestive discomfort all day, didn't bring water with me on the run and it was getting dark. But average pace in the end was 7:07 so I'll take that.

Gym class early this morning (Friday), wasn't as bad as Monday night. Plan is parkrun in the morning and 10km @ hm pace on Sunday as I head into the taper, eeekk!! Can't believe I'm going to do another half marathon, what on earth was I thinking?!

You are doing great. I swore after last years R & R Half that I would never do another one and here I am training for the marathon! We are definitely loopy. You will have a great half next week. The miles are in the legs now. How is your husband finding the training?

• Advertisement

gypsylee wrote: »
    You are doing great. I swore after last years R & R Half that I would never do another one and here I am training for the marathon! We are definitely loopy. You will have a great half next week. The miles are in the legs now. How is your husband finding the training?
    I've been following your marathon training gypsylee, you've been doing great!

I'm kinda surprised the husband found the training grand to be honest. He's not speedy for a guy of his age (late 30's), he's about my pace (30mins 5km) and he has a medical condition but has been in good health the past few years. But between myself doing up his training plan, bringing him along the long runs and he started going to a personal trainer earlier in the summer, he's found the training fine actually, it's hardly knocked anything out of him, he's been well able for it and at times I found it tougher than he did! And we haven't killed one another yet on the long runs, let's see if we can make it to the end of a half marathon with the wedding rings still on!!!

Advertisement