Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Delighted to hear he is enjoying the training and that you are still talking! Hope you both have a great half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sat 18/08/18 5km parkrun 31:32
    Again another quicker than it should have been parkrun, the legs just wanted to be going. T'was a warm one, it got humid going around. Don't know what my splits were like, I wasn't passing much heed on my watch going round and when I tried to connect my garmin to the laptop at home, it wasn't transferring the run across to my strava. The garmin did a software update and now there's no sign of the run on my watch. At least parkrun is timed (and free) and proves that I ran!!

Sun 19/08/2018 10.11km 1:12:08
    Splits: 6:49, 6:58, 7:17, 7:11, 7:35, 7:10, 7:04, 7:17, 7:23, 6:54, 5:42 (0.11)
    A shorter long run for this weekend, only 10km! Decided to try this at half marathon pace just to get used to the pace, to be able to lock on at the feeling of our planned pace. Easier said than done! The watches did a lot of beeping at us, ahead of pace, behind pace, on pace! I picked a 10km loop near the house which I hadn't done in years and it's a nice country route. However from looking back over the strava, it was climbing from 5.5km onwards! The weather was really humid out, causing us to take a few walking breaks, I'd have loved a breeze or a shower of rain tbh, the sweat was running off me. Average pace for the run was 7:08/km, not far our planned half marathon pace of 7:05/km.

Plan for the week is fitness class tonight, easy 5km tomorrow, 3km walk on Thurs.

You are as ready as you can be for the half now. Enjoy your tapering.

Sat 25/08/18 Tullamore Half Marathon official time 2:34:11
    Splits: 7:11, 6:54, 6:38, 6:50, 6:48, 6:41, 6:38, 6:53, 6:54, 7:10, 6:59, 6:47, 7:14, 7:39, 7:08, 7:30, 8:14, 9:19, 8:58, 7:38, 7:35, 6:30 (0.2)

I'm only getting around to writing this report now as I went away for a few days straight after this race, so hopefully I've remembered some of it!

This half was about my husband. He decided at the start of this year that he'd like to do a half marathon before a significant birthday. He has a medical condition, luckily has been in good health the past few years and said sure if I can, why not?! I said I would do it with him, help him train and run along side him on the day. He actually got on well in training.

The day itself was spot on for a race. It was dry and warm, but a little breeze and not as high humidity as there had been recently. We got there about 10am for 11am start. Plenty of parking, seamless registration and tshirt collection and plenty of toilets. Nicest race tshirt I've ever got. Little warm up jog around the grounds and a few stretches by the wall. Short walk up the road to the start and we weren't kept long before we were off.

Km 1-5
    First few kms there was so much support out on the roads. First km flew by, trying to keep the pace in check. I missed the watch beep for the second km and didn't notice til 2.6km! Pace was still faster than planned but it felt good and enjoyable. Liked taking in our surroundings and the support, we just went with it. When we took a left at 5km I check timing against the pace band and we were about 1 minute ahead for 5km. That was ok.

Km 6-10
    Again the pace was quicker than planned. Few climbs along this part but nothing to complain or worry about. One guy was out with a hose around 7km, that was enjoyed. Out in the countryside there was still great support. We were passing a couple of people, it kinda felt good! Checked pace band and we were a good minute or more ahead of pace.

Km 11-15
    At the 10km point there was another left turn and the road climbed a bit. At the relay transition, there was a lot of support there and a couple of people we knew were here so it was nice to hear them cheer. Ticking off the kms, soon we were into single digit km's left to go. From the 13th km hubbie started to struggle a bit. Took a walking break just to regain composure and got going again. Few more very short walking breaks, I tried to keep him moving and ticking along. We were really out in the country now but I noticed a few elderly people standing and sitting outside their gates watching it all go by and offering words of encouragement which was one of the highlights of the race for me. At the 15km mark we were just on pace and schedule for 2:30 but I knew by himself that the last section that sub 2:30 wasn't going to be likely.

Km 16 - finish
    I said to himself, we've a parkrun to go. Tried to get him to visualise where we were on our regular parkrun course. Few guys up and down the course on bikes with water, gels, jelly babies, words of encouragement etc. Hubbie's stomach was at him, he'd nearly stop dead every so often and a few times I was worried he'd either puke or collapse. Tried to make sure he kept sipping water, he would have a sweet and tried to keep him moving, even at a slower pace, just to get him to the finish line. I was a bit worried about him. I'm not gonna lie, I was a little frustrated at having to stop and start, I wanted to keep the legs going. When we got to 19km we were running back the first 2km which we knew were fine, we were on the home stretch then so he picked up a bit then. My own legs were getting a bit tired at that stage. Quick peek at the pace band at 20km confirmed we had no chance of sub 2:30 but that we would certainly finish with a great time. At the turn in for the stadium we got a cheer from a friend of the hubbie and on for the final part of the race - one lap of the track. Such a lovely surface to run on and the commentary was great. Eyes on the finish line and we seen our son waving and cheering from the sidelines.

Tad emotional crossing the finish line. Got hubbie to sit down for a bit, have some water and a banana and get himself settled. I found it a little difficult to breathe for some reason, my breaths were short and sharp even though I felt I didn't overly exert myself at the finish, kinda panicked me a little. We headed over to the disco hall (of my youth!!) and met with a few running buddies there. They are more experienced at running than us, and they looked after us by getting us tea and sandwiches while we got our bearings back, guys ye were god-sends! A sugary cup of tea, a chat and a (cold) shower made all the difference and I felt grand after, except for the big blister on the side of my big toe!

Such a well organised event, I can totally see why so many people raved about it and return year on year. It would be difficult to not do it again next year, maybe the relay part of it, we shall see. Taking this week off running with a few days away, then easing back into school and work as the week goes on. I've been lined up for my first parkrun run director stint this Saturday, I'm really nervous about that. Race-wise, there's a local 10km and half in October, I want to support it but not sure which distance I want to do - 10km would be the sensible option but there's a little itch there for the half to see if I could run as well as I did last weekend and would I get sub 2:30? But I dunno do I want to get back into half training so soon.
    (Jaysus sorry that was a long post!)

I was waiting for you to post. A great race report. Well done to both you and your hubby, a great time for his first half.

It sounds like you felt strong throughout, no reason why that sub 2.30 should not be yours next time. You did it before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congratulations to you both, what a great achievement and there's something lovely about doing it together (my OH wouldn't run unless it's to chase a ball around a field :rolleyes:).

ariana` wrote: »
    Congratulations to you both, what a great achievement and there's something lovely about doing it together (my OH wouldn't run unless it's to chase a ball around a field :rolleyes:).
    I quite enjoyed having the company on the half marathon route. But I found it difficult when he struggled cos I wasn't and I wanted to keep it going.

Took last week off running. Along with that all my good habits went out the window resulting in lots of eating, lots of junk food, no water. By the end of the week I felt lethargic and woolly headed. Had my first experience of run director. I was quite stressed about it but it seems to have gone off ok. I also made a decision about whether to do the local 10k or half marathon - decided to go all in and do the half - there doesn't be many half's on my doorstep so I couldn't really pass up the opportunity.
    So new week and back into training.

Mon 03/09/18 9km 1 hr 7 mins
    Splits: 7:01, 7:11, 7:21, 7:45, 8:00, 7:28, 7:36, 6:52, 7:22
    First run back after the half marathon. Decided on an easy run out the greenway with company while the evenings were still bright. I did find it a little tougher than easy, the legs felt tired and I took a few walking breaks. But it felt good to get back out there again.

Delighted to hear you signed up for the Half, you will do great. Good luck with the training.

Well done on your stint as run director, glad it went well for you.

Weds 05/09 7.2km 55:54
    Splits: 8:01, 7:12, 7:57, 8:18, 7:21, 7:52, 7:55, 6:35 (0.2)
    Bit of an unplanned and unscheduled run. Got an unexpected few hours off work without notice. Laced up the runners but I wasn't sure if I wanted to walk or run and how far I wanted to go. Got into a slow jog, didn't feel the most comfortable, the legs felt a bit tired. But it was lovely to get a run during the day midweek - that never happens and I felt a little smug heading back into work!

• Advertisement

It's hard to get back into it again. I did manage to get back to my fitness class, it's the first morning since it started that it's been a bit dark so it's gonna be fun getting up early all winter in the dark for it.

Sat 08/09/18 5km parkrun 32:42
    Splits: 6:18, 6:39, 6:38, 7:12, 6:30
    Little chilly this morn but after a little jog I was rightly warmed up. It was a grand run, a bit non descript. I had a long run to do this weekend, knew I wouldn't get out on Sun morn so had planned to get out for another run when I got home, therefore I didn't push too hard on this parkrun. I did kinda feel like I was running nearer to 32 than to 33 mins! I didn't really bother looking at the watch when I was going around, I getting good at ignoring it!
    I didn't end up getting out for a run when I got home, few things came up. Likewise with Sunday. I know I should have got out for something, just to even make me feel like I was in training for a half but it wasn't the weekend for it.

Mon 10/09/18 8.75 km walk 1hr 24.
    It was such a pi$$y evening. Got wet walking home from work and was in no humour to go running in it. But I knew the kiddo had sports and I had to do something productive with my free time. Figured if I wrapped up I'd go walking in it. The weather wasn't too bad once I got going, the rain eased off but I wasn't in the humour for picking up the pace beyond a brisk walk. Feels this morning like my calves got some workout though!

Sun 16/09/18 16km 2:04
    Splits: 7:09, 7:46, 8:06, 7:15, 7:46, 8:28, 7:55, 8:02, 7:39, 8:30, 7:51, 7:24, 7:03, 7:35, 7:47, 7:04
    It was time to bite the bullet and get back to the long runs. I had put off the previous week's long run as I had been on the sauce the night before. Still had a few drinks on Sat but I finished up and was in bed early.

The thoughts of doing the long run were worse than the run itself - I knew it would be like ripping off a plaster.

Got going later in the morning as I got watching the Berlin marathon. Was aiming for 15 or 16km and not to worry about the pace. Was ticking on ok but when I got to 6km I could feel myself getting tired already. When I got to 8km I couldn't believe I was only half way there, felt like I'd be running for forever! Had started taking a few fruit pastilles at that stage. When I got to the 10km mark I couldn't believe how difficult it had been to get that far and how long it had taken me (1hr 20). But I knew from there that I had an out and back from that point to bring me to 3km from home.

At 12.5km I decided I would try one of the gel cubes I brought with me. I'd never tried gels before, I'd been to scared. But I didn't want liquidy sticky gels cos they would just annoy me, I wanted something more solid so I found Cliff gel bloks. I tried one and it was fine, reminded me of eating jelly cubes as a child. It was pleasant and went down ok. Except when I had just taken it, something flew at my neck, I swiped it away and it went down my top! Cue me stopping on the side of a busy road peering down my top and sports bra trying to get rid of whatever it was!

I didn't notice a mad rush of energy but I did notice that I didn't feel as tired as I was expecting and didn't look for another sweet until after 15km when I was near home. Glad to have gotten my first proper long run done, feels like I'm back training properly again! A bit strange going out on my own, having company definitely makes a long run easier.

Mon 17/09/18 8km 1hr 3 mins
    Splits: 7:09, 7:49, 8:29, 7:57, 8:35, 7:12, 7:48, 7:37
    Really wasn't feeling this run. Not an ounce of energy or motivation. I just seem to be getting slower on all my runs. Got soaked from kms 3 to 6. I think that was the first rain shower I've run in for quite a while. I may get used to it! I'm wondering why on earth I signed up for another half marathon. I think once I've it done, I might ease off the running for the rest of the year, I'm at the stage where it feels like I'm running cos I have to, rather than I want to.

I'm finding it difficult to get into my stride with training. I seem to be squeezing it all into 3 consecutive days with a parkrun, long run and a run while kiddo does training. Had a few things come up this month which has meant that schedules for everything are all over the place.

Fri 21/09/18
    Early morning fitness class. Was late for this which so I got the last available station which was a heavier kettle bell and a bar I don't like. That'll teach me to be on time in future.

I had agreed to do a charity treadmill run in the afternoon. I just could not get into my stride on the treadmill. 20 mins and I was goosed! I swapped over to the exercise bike for a while. Back on the dreadmill for about 40-45 mins where I just walked at a brisk pace and I don't think I've ever sweated so much, there wasn't a breathe of air in the shopping mall we were in.

Sat 22/09/18 5km parkrun 32:04
    Splits: 6:17, 6:45, 6:32, 6:53, 6:14
    I wasn't really in the humour for a run so I was hoping they needed an extra volunteer but no they had a full rota. It wasn't a bad run once I got going. It makes a difference when you run with others, I had people close in front and behind me and found it really kept me going. Good conditions for running, still tshirt weather.

Mon 24/09/2018 10.16km 1hr 15 mins
    Splits: 7:45, 7:12, 8:14, 6:57, 7:57, 6:48, 9:04, 7:04, 6:44, 6:33, 5:31 (0.16)
    First time I've ever gone for a run where I've forgotten my running watch. Found an arm strap in the car so used strava on my phone. As a result I couldn't see my distance, time, pace etc while running and it was actually enjoyable. Lovely evening out for a run. Had to stop after 2km to stretch out the calves. Took a walking break after 6km where I was too busy chatting and forgot to pick up the pace back to a run. Got back to the car just after 8km and had 15 mins before kiddo was finished training so I did a few laps on the outside lane of the track while the athletics club was training. For my last lap I took the inside lane as I thought they were finished. But no a few of them decided to do a cool down lap and I pegged it around the track trying to stay ahead of them while they chatted. Strava tells me I hit 4:52/km at one stage! It was nice to finish off the 10km with a bit of a kick.

As you can see there was a big fat gap between Sat and Mon with no long run done. Hubbie was away for the weekend last minute and when he returned I had to sort out the child's birthday stuff. By the time that was done I had a migraine and could hardly walk, never mind run. Have visitors flying in for this weekend and a big get together being planned, and I don't know how I'm going to fit in my long run. Could I do it Sun eve tired and hungover?

Was a busy week with work, visitors and a get together. Had planned on doing my long run on Thurs eve but our visitors' flight was due in later than I thought so by the time hubbie left for the airport, it was too late and dark to go out for a run on my own.

Sun 18km 1hr 19 mins
    Splits: 6:47, 7:00, 7:49, 8:08, 7:19, 7:56, 7:37, 7:58, 8:26, 7:26, 7:34, 7:38, 7:27, 8:25, 7:54, 8:21, 7:26, 7:57
    The run I wasn't in the humour for - are we ever in the humour for a long run?! Got out later than I had planned - caught up watching the Russian Formula 1 Grand Prix. Started off ok, about 1.5km into the run I found myself fairly warming up, by 2.5km the running jacket was off. It was annoying tied around my waist with my pack of gels hitting off my leg. But by the 8th km the jacket was back on again and there it did stay. Few walking breaks scattered along my run. My head was fine after the busy weekend but my legs were tired, it was hard to lift them. But I kept moving anyway. I used Clif Bloks on my run, I took 3 of them, not sure how many you are supposed to take and when.
    Still feels like my pace is too slow. After Tullamore Half I felt I was strong during the race and could have gone quicker (I was supporting someone else's run). But now that this Half is in less than 2 weeks time, I'm not sure now, I just have visions of being all on my own at the back of the field.

Mon 8km walk 1hr 17mins
    Usually go for a run on Monday while kiddo is at training. But had been ordered (and it was probably the right idea) to take a rest that evening. Hubbie was to bring child and go for his run. Then a last minute change of plan seen me go instead of him (which I wasn't best pleased about). Nothing for it only lace up the shoes and go for a walk instead. Got soaked towards the end of my run which just put me back in the mood my walk had taken me out of!!

The only bit of running I got during the week was 2 x 1km of XC running with the junior AC - you gotta have someone tail running behind them or they'll just slow right down and chat and mess, it's like herding cats at times! Back to fitness class on Fri morn - I enjoyed it but I'm really going to have to be doing them more than once a fortnight.
    Thought I might get to run parkrun but an extra marshal was needed and I didn't mind doing it, I actually really enjoyed it, the crowd taking part were just a fab lot!

Sun 16 km 1hr 56mins
    Splits: 6:45, 7:15, 6:44, 7:24, 7:18, 7:25, 7:13, 7:14, 8:01, 7:19, 7:45, 7:23, 6:54, 7:31, 7:01, 6:50
    I have to say the hardest part of training for this half has been getting out for my long runs, and it's not even the actual long run, it's the getting out for them part!
    Last long run before the half and only thought the day before that perhaps I should do some of the race route seeing as I only live a 10 min drive away! I know someone who has done a run of the whole course and said it's tough enough so this was scaring me. I figured the easiest was to run 5 miles from the start and turn and head back. I'm actually not sure which direction the race loop is, if it's clockwise or anti clockwise. It looks to be the toughest part of the course so I figured if I had it covered in both directions I would be somewhat prepared.
    There was a lot of stopping and starting as I had to keep checking my phone to make sure I can going the right way. It was my first time wearing a flipbelt and it was quite handy for getting things although my back was sweating where the belt lies.
    When I reached 7.5km, near my turning point, I noticed a road which would have brought me back to my car in about 500 mtrs - oh it was tempting to cut short here. But I knew it just would be of no benefit to me so I ran down to the turning point and back past the turn off again and kept going back the way I came. Busy back roads, all the people I met were so friendly giving me a wave! It was my 3rd quickest 10 mile, didn't feel like it at all!
    Glad to get this done, at least I know what that part of the course is like so it mightn't be too bad next time I run it. If that section is at the start of the race it'll drain your legs, if it's towards the end it will be even tougher on already tired legs.

Usually I do 8-10 kms on a Mon eve, legs and body are tired so I'm not sure yet whether to do an easy run or to just go for a walk. Hubbie is doing a 10km on Thurs so he needs a run this eve.

Well done on running part of the route of the half. What day is the half on?

gypsylee wrote: »
    Well done on running part of the route of the half. What day is the half on?
    It's on Saturday morning.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    It's on Saturday morning.

Oh I didn't realise it was that soon. Hope it all goes well for you.

• Advertisement

Mon 08/10/18 8km 1hr 2mins
    Splits: 7:37, 7:33, 8:16, 7:36, 7:19, 9:04, 7:52, 7:12
    My last run before the half. Probably one I should have walked instead but I didn't want to hold the hubbie up. The legs felt very heavy and tired, it was such a effort to lift them. Plenty of walking breaks and calf stretches. I thought when I had worked in a 2km stretch of the cycleway into the route from 4.5km to 6.5km that would be easy but I ended up walking a lot of it, thinking I was never going to get to the end of it. That doesn't bode well for the weekend where 5km of it is on cycleway. Legs were elevated last night, so will foam roll them a bit over the week and get out for a 2km run or walk around the block on Thurs or Fri, depending on the weather.

Realised last night that all 3 of us have races this week: hubbie is doing An Costantoir 10km in Phoenix Park on Thurs (it's only for members of the Defence Forces), I'm doing Rosemount half marathon on Sat and the child is doing the County XC on Sunday. So we all have to eat well and get plenty of sleep!

Good luck with the Half tomorrow. Hope the run goes well for you. Most of all enjoy it!

Good luck in the half Sunny Dayz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck this morning Sunny Dayz! Hope you have a great race :)

Half marathon 2hr 25 mins 35 sec - PB
    Splits: 6:56, 6:46, 6:45, 6:40, 6:35, 6:31, 6:40, 6:44, 6:49, 7:18, 6:55, 6:38, 6:26, 7:21, 6:59, 7:19, 7:05, 7:10, 6:56, 7:15, 6:54, 5:59 (0.1)

Damp and drizzley morning. Very heavy shower just before I left the house so I figured this was gonna be a tough run. Luckily it lightened off and it was just light drizzle or stopped for most of the race.
    Part of me wasn’t looking forward to the race – I was worried that it would be mainly faster runners and I would be all alone. Chatted a few people I knew, a lot of local runners were there, I’d say the parkrun attendance was fairly down! Had enough time for a little warm up, I positioned myself right at the back and we were away.

Km 1-5
    In the first km the two women I started beside passed me out after 500m and headed off. I knew I was last. Everyone was heading further away in front of me and I thought this was what my race was going to be like and I was out of my depth. During the 2nd km I passed a lady who was doing a run/walk approach. During the 3rd km I passed another lady who seemed to have started too fast and was struggling a bit. Got chatting to a lovely older gent on the 4th km who put me to shame with his nonchalant approach to running, no bother to him. 5th km saw me pass another lady and then we were onto the cycleway section.

Km 6-10
    This whole stretch was along the cycleway. I have mixed feelings about the cycleway: it’s a nice flattish surface for running on, but at times it can seem boring and never ending. To keep me going there was a lady in a local running group top that I kept in my sights. I did get near her at one point but later on in the race she pulled away. Looking at strava there was a gradual climb the whole way along this section but you wouldn’t notice it at all.

Km 11-15
    Off the cycleway after 10.5km. Few climbs along here, especially at 11.5km, that was tough. Was ticking off the kms, keeping an eye on the pace, knowing I had to hit target for 15km to stay in a shout of sub 2:30 finish. Few hills, few corners, indicative of the course to the end really. Another tough climb on the 14th km and then on was on familiar turf – the route I ran last Sunday. I knew what was ahead of me and that I could do it. Think I passed someone on the 15th km?

Km 16 – 21.1
    Legs were starting to feel tired. Mind was starting to win out a little and a few walking breaks were had. Got chatting to a fella on the 16th km, and he had an inspiring story to tell of his running. Trying to tick off the kms, anticipating what was ahead. I can’t remember what distance I was at when I had 2 hours run but when I checked my watch I realised that I quite surely would be in under 2:30. Just kept it going as best I could, few walking breaks but trying to get to the finish as soon as possible. I know I checked the watch at 20km to see if I was under 2:20 guide pace but I couldn’t tell ya what time it gave, only that it was good and I really pushed on then. Could see myself catching up on people but only got past one before the finish. Couldn’t believe I was seeing a 25 on the clock and I’ve never smiled so much crossing a finish line.

I cannot believe I got a 5 minute pb! How is that even possible? Race was well organised, surprising large crowd taking part, many people had traveled for it. A challenging route, if it was run the other direction it might be a little easier. Good spread laid on after, bit of a catch up with those who did the 10km and half. It was great to be home so soon after!

Will be taking it easy running wise for the rest of the year. I’ve no more races planned for the rest of the year or even into next year. I just want to get out and run when I want to, not when I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ah - congratulations on a huge PB. Well done.

Huge congrats on your PB, great result. Well done on a great run.

• Advertisement

That's a great PB, really well done!

Advertisement