Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yay, five-minute PB - well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I’ve never smiled so much crossing a finish line.
    Brilliant! You deserved to be smiling too - 5 minutes off your PB is huge! Congratulations Sunny Dayz!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sat 20/10/18 5km parkrun 32:22
    Splits: 6:33, 6:59, 6:38, 6:55, 5:58
    Wasn't really planning on running again so soon after the half marathon. Had planned on volunteering instead but for once they were inundated with helpers so I said I'd take it handy - easier said than done! Was just behind one of the regulars for the first half of the route, was nearly passing her at 2.5km but decided against it as I felt I wouldn't have able to stay in front of her. She got away on me after 3km but I was caught back up with her at 4km and decided to pass her then. I didn't want her overtaking me again so that's why my last km was so quick! So much for taking it easy, and rest a day for every mile raced! Legs felt heavy going around and didn't think I was that near to 32 mins, felt more like over 33 mins. Body was stiff after parkrun, I was waddling just like after my half marathon the previous week, - quarter the distance but the same effects!

Sat 03/11/18 5km parkrun 31:37
    Splits: 6:05, 6:09, 6:13, 6:33, 6:05
    Ended up missing parkrun last weekend due to a funeral so this weekend we decided on a bit of tourism. The course we did was fairly flat, one or two very slight rises. But it was mainly all on gravel which made it a bit tiring but good all weather course. First km flew by, it was difficult to try and hold back. 2nd km again still flying it and that brought us to one full loop of the outside of the park. 3rd km was another run around the perimeter still going a good pace. However 3.5km seen me taking a walking break which I probably shouldn't have done, and again another little walk after 4km - I think these cost me a sub 31 mins which was a little disappointing. However it was a parkrun, not a race, there's always next time.

Bar the odd parkrun, running has been pretty non existent for me the past month. I did need a bit of time off running and following a plan after 2 half marathons in 6 weeks. Madness... but I was so glad to do them. Work had taken over the past month and it really was a case of up, work, home, eat anything, bed - rinse and repeat. There's a been a few things going on and a few changes with family and home. I haven't been able to make gym sessions or junior coaching and my routine has been completely out of snyc. I'm hoping this week will see a bit of a return to normality.

In the middle of all the madness and tiredness I managed another stint as parkrun run director. I think it went off ok, there's a lot to juggle, but luckily the volunteers I had on the morning have plenty of experience and were a great help.

Thurs 15/11/18 12.4km walk 2hrs approx.
    Had the morning off work so rather than have a lie on in bed like any normal person, I laced up the runners and got out for a big long walk to combat the cabin fever. Listened to the longer parkrun podcast. Made it home just in time before the rain. Was wrecked for the afternoon in work though and my feet were sore!

Sat 17/11/18 5km parkrun 31:18
    Splits: 6:09, 6:29, 6:19, 6:36, 6:09
    Such a lovely mild morning for a run. It felt like ages since I ran my local parkrun and it was good to catch up with a few people. Started off fine, not too fast. After a km I found that a woman who usually does my speed or quicker was in my sight so I said I'd stick with her. However after 2km I found myself passing her out which initially was a bit worrying but I knew I wasn't going too fast. Fella in a red parkrun top further up was my next carrot. Around the 3.5km mark I found myself struggling a little, I was gasping for a drop of water, my water consumption has been pretty poor this past while. Managed to distract myself my focusing on red parkrun top. Passed him out after 4km and then just tried to stay ahead of him to the finish.

Sun 18/11/2018 15km approx cycle
    Lovely bright afternoon so we went for a family cycle. Legs on the return journey were a bit tired but a stop for some hot chocolate cured that.

• Advertisement

Mon 19/10/18 9km 1hr 10 mins
    Splits: 6:54, 7:28, 9:06, 7:43, 8:14, 7:36, 8:58, 7:02, 6:59
    Trying to get back into some sort of running routine again after the break. The usual run while child at training. Might need to change up the route a bit, I'll be honest I found it a bit boring. I am limited in where I can go so it needs to be lit up and safe for a lone female jogger. I was a little disappointed to see the slow time but I have to remember it's my first longish run since the half and I'm only getting back into things again. Body felt fine, just tired, sluggish and jingly (and not in a festive way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Mon 19/10/18 9km 1hr 10 mins
    Splits: 6:54, 7:28, 9:06, 7:43, 8:14, 7:36, 8:58, 7:02, 6:59
    Trying to get back into some sort of running routine again after the break. The usual run while child at training. Might need to change up the route a bit, I'll be honest I found it a bit boring. I am limited in where I can go so it needs to be lit up and safe for a lone female jogger. I was a little disappointed to see the slow time but I have to remember it's my first longish run since the half and I'm only getting back into things again. Body felt fine, just tired, sluggish and jingly (and not in a festive way!)

I can empathise with this. There's no footpaths or street lighting in my village. Is there any group or club near that you could join? I have acquired a few running friends over the last couple of years and it's a life saver this time of year as we feel a lot safer going out in a group and the combined light from all our torches makes it a lot easier to see the road too. Chatting might help with the boredom factor too.

ariana` wrote: »
    I can empathise with this. There's no footpaths or street lighting in my village. Is there any group or club near that you could join? I have acquired a few running friends over the last couple of years and it's a life saver this time of year as we feel a lot safer going out in a group and the combined light from all our torches makes it a lot easier to see the road too. Chatting might help with the boredom factor too.
    The athletics club has adult sessions on beside where my son trains. But the session that would suit me ability wise doesn't suit time wise and the session that suits time wise is too advanced for me. Plus they mainly use the track and I'd be bored doing laps! I sometimes rope in the husband but he's getting busy with different groups he's involved in and the meetings seem to all be on a Monday night.

Boards is being a PITA - I had typed up a log post and Boards decided just to time out or not post it or whatever. So here I go again....

Fri 23/11/2018
    Gym session, first one in weeks. It wasn't as bad I expected, my core and arms have weakened and I had forgotten what some of the exercises were called. I figured I really should be doing some of these at home a few times a week.

Sun 25/11/2018 8km 52:08
    Splits: 6:13, 6:26, 6:24, 6:51, 6:18, 6:35, 6:48
    A local group had organised a few distances for charity. I decided to do the 7km which was a bit of a strange distance but I'm guessing country roads dictate the distances! Around the first corner to be greeted by a hill and that's more of less how the race went! Hills rolling into more hills, little respite with a downhill.
    At the 3km point we turned off and the 10km route carried on. Had an actual downhill at this point but by 3.5km we were back to constant climbing and it was starting to get tiring so I ended up taking a walking break. At 3.5km our route joined back up with the 10km route so this pushed me on a bit. A long straight stretch of rolling rises, I just put the head down and tried to keep going. A few walkers must have started early as I was passing them out here. The route then joined the main route and this was a better surface and not as hilly. However when I passed the 8km sign (for the 10km) my watch was just over 6km so I thought something might be amiss. By the time the route turned off the main road I was at 6.8km and I was nowhere near the finish. 7km came and went and I didn't know was I anywhere near the finish. I have to say I started to feel demotivated then. However I then spied 2 houses I recognised from near the start and pressed on and passed a woman. I ran to what I figured was the finish line but I wasn't sure. I stopped and someone said people were just going by their watch and running up further up the road to get to 10km. My watch said 7.5km so I decided feck it I'd round up to 8km.
    Great spread of food laid on after. Happy enough I think with that time on sore legs and a tough course, at least it's given me a time to gauge for 5 miles (thinking of doing Raheny end of Jan and hoping to get sub 50).

Sat 01/12/2018 5km parkrun 32 mins
    Splits: 6:01, 6:50, 6:34, 6:53, 6:20
    Usual parkrun, mild enough morning, I was still running in a tshirt and it December! First 2km were grand, nothing worth noting. At the 3km mark I caught up with a teenage girl I didn't recognise and I could see she was struggling a bit. I got her to fall in line with me, I tried to keep the pace steady and easy and to keep her going. I chatted to her a bit to keep her distracted. She was finding it a bit hard to run and talk at the same time. She was doing so well but unfortunately I lost her just after 4km.

Sat 08/12/2018 5km parkrun 33:19
    Splits: 6:53, 6:43, 6:40, 6:28, 6:21
    We were away visiting family and convinced them to do parkrun with us! They were a bit curious about parkrun and why we liked it so much. They couldn't get over the fact that it's completely free, my bro in law asked that surely you have to pay when you register? Naw all free and volunteer lead!
    A bigger crowd than my usual parkrun, nearly 200 people but it didn't feel like it. An out and back course along a lake with a loop from km2 - km3 to manage the crowd on the turnabout. I ran with my sis in law who was excited but nervous about parkrun so I let her set the pace. She did so well, she only showed signs of struggling for the last km and she was well chuffed to have run her fastest ever 5km! It was a lovely flat course, a little congested for the first km. I would have liked to have run it faster but I was more than happy to run with M and give her a positive experience of parkrun. I can't get over the splits - I don't think I've ever run a progressive 5km before, it wasn't intentional! I think that was my 10th different parkrun.

I've been finding it difficult to motivate myself to get out for a run. A few times I've said to myself I'll get out for a run in the evening, then when I get home from work I'm either too busy or too tired to go out. I think it's just the time of year, work takes over in Oct/Nov and then it's hard to pick up the momentum again. I had targeted to hit 1,000km by the end of the year and I'm on 940km. Before the end of the year I have 2 parkruns to run (as I'm volunteering at 1), 2 charity 5kms, a charity 3km and a 3km race. So I'm hard pushed to make my target.

• Advertisement

Sat 15 Dec 2018 - 5km parkrun 34:07
    Splits: 6:38, 6:55, 7:18, 7:28, 6:52
    god why on earth did I do this parkrun? The weather wasn't too bad leaving the house but by the time we got to the start area the rain was starting to come down. I didn't bother doing a warm up, I just stood in the shelter near the start. After starting, I'd say I wasn't even gone 500m when I thought what on earth am I doing this for, what has possessed me, how am I gonna do this for the next half hour, should I just call it quits? But I figured the volunteers came out to help out when they could have baled on us runners, so I wasn't going to bale on them. The rain eased off a bit after 2km, it just came and went over the course of the rest of the run. Just after 2km there was a climb and that's where my calves hurt cos I didn't do a warm up or any stretches. Just walked it out and got going again. The more I keep moving, the sooner I'll finish. The last 200m I just put the boot down and went for it, I was getting cold and fed up, most of the previous finishers were heading back to their cars and I just wanted to be done. After finishing I collected a few signs on my way to the car via the store room, just so when the parkrun was over that the volunteers could get going asap.
    The 3km charity run that was supposed to be on that afternoon was cancelled. It was probably for the best but I was looking forward to it - I wanted to use it as practice for the 3km race I'm thinking of doing at the end of the month.

Mon 17/12/18 4.8km 35:43
    Splits: 6:45, 7:11, 7:46, 7:48, 7:50 (0.8)
    A local running group had organised a charity run on the track called the 12 laps of Christmas - 12 x 400m, not quite 5km but close enough!
    Had said I'd take part in it but haven't been well the past few days, trying to stop a cold developing further. My head was telling me rest up with hot fluids, my heart was saying I was looking forward to running this. So I ran...
    First few laps started off ok, but after 4 laps I just wanted to peel away and hide. My calves were sore, my legs were like lead, I was barely lifting my feet and really just getting nowhere. The wind didn't help, running against it was very draining. I was lapped multiple times by people and even lapped once by someone I usually would be quicker than. Think I was near enough the last to finish. I probably shouldn't have run that event, clearly my body wasn't able for it. But it did clear my head a bit, physically and mentally and I slept better last night.

I've neglected my poor log! I actually did a bit of running over the Christmas. I said when I got back to work I'd update it, then I was busy at work (I'm still busy at work) and then each week passed by and I realised I had more to write. Procrastination!

I took an intentional little break from running. I was trying to prevent myself getting sick right before Christmas plus I was busy with Christmas prep. I volunteered at parkrun the Sat before Christmas doling out hot chocolate at the finish line, that seemed to go down well. I actually enjoyed the break and not putting pressure on myself to run and not feeling bad cos I haven't run.

Weds 26/12/18 5km race/fun run 31:05
    Splits: 5:55, 6:03, 6:20, 6:38, 6:03
    A local GAA club was having their annual 5km run. It's along the cycleway which is grand cos it's flat but it's just a straight out and back so it can be a bit boring. I was giving it a good shot cos it's a flat run but at the same time I was mindful of the amount I've had to eat and drink over the previous few days. Probably could have shaved a few more seconds off it but I was just happy to have a decent run again.

Weds 26/12/18 1 mile 9:42
    km splits: 5:55, 5:49 (0.62)
    Another GAA club were hosting the GOAL mile so we went there after the 5km run (and after tea and the chats). It doesn't be a fast mile here, it's mainly locals, club members and families having a wander and then a catch up in the stand. It wasn't too busy when we landed so after 1 lap walk to warm up we set off. Not my quickest mile but a decent run all the same. The corners of the track that go around the pitch are too tight, you have to slow down to get around them. Still it was a good stretch out, for a good cause and a nice catch up with a few people after.

Fri 28/12/2018 3km race 17:01
    Splits: 5:37, 5:55, 5:28
    An A.C. up near my husband's neck of the woods do this 3km each year whereby they take your 5km race time and then start runners off at intervals - slowest first, then faster and faster runners - the idea is that you all kinda finish around the same time. This is my third time doing this race and I wanted to get around 17 mins.
    The first few times I've done this I've been passed out by most of the field, and it's not the nicest to hear all the feet coming behind you and passing you out. However this time I was only passed by two people in the 2nd km and 2 or 3 people in the last km. Little disappointed I dropped the pace a bit one the middle km but glad to see km's in the 5:xx. I found it so well organised and well timed with the intervals this year.

Sat 29/12/2018 5km parkrun 33:21
    Splits: 6:16, 6:57, 6:38, 6:53, 6:19
    A different parkrun to my usual, again up around my husband's part of the country. A tougher parkrun with fair climbs and drops but a better surface. I have done well at this run in the past and probably should have aimed for 31:xx. But I had a good race the day before and a late night the Fri night so I was just going to enjoy and complete the parkrun.

And there ends my running for 2018.
    Distance 965km (goal was increased from 750km to 1,000km)
    A new 5km pb
    A new half marathon pb with 2 more halfs under my belt.

Not sure what the running goals really are for this year. Improve my times for 5km and 10km really. No major race to work towards like the last few years. I've registered for Raheny 5 mile and the Lough Boora half marathon relay so far. But I started 2019 with a bang with a double parkrun on New Year's Day!!

01/01/2019 5km parkrun 31:48
    Splits: 6:18, 6:24, 6:17, 6:42, 6:03
    Was toying with the idea of trying the "parkrun double". But it meant an early start on new year's day and also the co-operation of the child. When the child realised that he would get 2 run credits and bring him much nearer to his 100 run milestone he was on for it (kinda).
    We enjoyed the nibbles and drinks and rang in the new year. The child travelled in his cosy dressing gown! We rocked up early enough so we could have the chats. Run started on the button as the RD was aware a few people were going to trying make it to the other parkrun after. My leg was a bit sore as I banged it off the table the night before (not drinks related) but after 3 km it was ok. First half of the run was along a canal and it was lovely to just see the spread of people running along the bank. The return journey was along the cycleway, I'm developing an aversion to running on a cycleway, it's just straight ahead and feels slow. The last km I had to give myself a kick up the ass and try and claw back a few finish positions that I lost in the previous km. Such a buzz at the finish line, plenty of people about, met a few from my local parkrun and a few I recognised from other parkruns. And then it was on the road for the next parkrun.

01/01/2019 5km parkrun 33:10
    Splits: 6:40, 6:25, 6:43, 6:38, 6:30
    Rocked up to the next parkrun to see a few familiar faces from the last run and some faces from my regular parkrun. It's a little strange running with parkrun buddies at a different run! Another good route to run and good conditions and a great little cheerleader along the route. Run was manageable considering we had already run a parkrun that morning. However I miscalculated the route - it's two large loops and two small loops and on the first small loop I was putting a bit extra in to finish when the person running in front of me turned for the loop again. Was annoyed with myself as I've done this run before. But head down and keep going.
    Turns out this was my 5th different parkrun in a row.

03/01/2019 3km walk 31 mins
    Just needed a bit a fresh air after a busy day in work but wasn't in running humour.

04/01/2019 2km walk 27 mins
    Set off for a walk but was only down the road when I met my teenager heading home so I had to turn back. For a fella who can fairly run, he walks as slow!

05/01/2019
    Was at parkrun but no running for me - I was run director! I'm nervous before doing this but on the day it is enjoyable and everyone was in good form for the first parkrun of the year.

07/01/2019 8 km 1:17
    Splits: 7:46, 9:30, 10:26, 10:20, 9:04, 7:45, 9:59, 10:26
    Back to running while the youngster was at training. I wasn't even a km in and I just wasn't feeling it, just wasn't in the humour or motivated to run. I dunno was it the route, if I was under or over dressed, if the playlist wasn't right - I just wasn't in the humour. But I wasn't going to let this time go to waste so I figured a walk would be just as good and would have to be brisk to cover the route and be back to collect himself. I think I managed about a km of running after that and then the last 200m as it was time for collection. Must do better next time.

12/01/2019 parkrun 5km 31:05
    Splits: 6:21, 6:23, 6:15, 6:40, 6:12
    Pleasantly surprised at this. Good running weather if a little slippy in spots underfoot. Started off well and even passed a few people and extended a lead over them. I passed a fella around the 2km mark and after I thought I might be going too fast and that he would pass me again. So him behind me was my motivation to get around the rest of the course! I know it's a run not a race...

12/01/2019 4.8km walk 46 mins
    My local town had organised an operation transformation walk so we made our way back over after parkrun to do this. Enjoyable brisk walk and we bribed the child to take part with the promise of lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on great runs over the Christmas break and on the Parkrun double. I don't think I would be able to run twice in one day!

A good start to 2019 for you too. Good luck in Raheny. I ran it last year and it is a lovely course and great atmosphere.

14/01/2019 10km 1hr 21mins
    Splits: 7:17, 7:59, 8:15, 8:44, 8:32, 8:19, 8:03, 8:32, 7:46, 7:54
    Changed up my route hoping a change of scenery would improve my run. A more enjoyable run than last week. Right up through the middle of town, easier to run now that the main street paths have been upgraded. I wasn't looking at my watch bar to check distance and what time of night it was - didn't really pay attention to pace. Turns out it was a fairly slow pace. Few pauses along the way to stretch the calves a few times. Think I was a little overdressed with a long sleeve, a running jacket and hi vis but it did turn a bit cooler for the last 2 or 3 km. Coming back near the car it was 8.5km with about 10 mins til himself finished training. Went down the road past the car a bit and back up and was at 9.5km so ran around the car park keeping an eye out for himself while around up to 10km!

19/01/19 5km parkrun 31:57 per results
    I was too busy chatting at the start that by the time the run director's briefing had started I realised that I hadn't switched on my garmin. It was searching for signal while she spoke and for one lap of the course. When I eventually got signal I recorded what was left of the run, but it was strange with my watch beeping at different km markers. A fairly non descript run. The numbers at my local have increased since Christmas and more runners around my speed which is nice for company and some friendly competition and motivation.

27/01/2019 5 mile race 50:41 (official)
    My splits: 6:20, 6:23, 6:25, 6:02, 6:24, 6:10, 6:50, 6:03
    Overall feeling, it was a grand time but could have done better. Was there in plenty of time, got nicely warmed up, it wasn't as cold as I was expecting. Got to the start near the back but that suited me fine.
    First 1km was congested but to be expected but the second km was the same. 3rd km the field started to spread out a bit. 4th km was lovely. On the 5th km I could feel myself starting to struggle just a little. 6th km brought us around by and into st Anne's park - a lovely spot with great support. I made a mental note to try out the parkrun here sometime. I found the out and back section in the park tough. I spent the whole out scanning the crowd for my son. I didn't see him so I took it that he's either having a pretty good race or that I missed him. I found the back section here tougher going, I was nearly going cross eyed with the flow of people going the other way. I just found this 7th km tough, I knew I wasn't going to get sub 50 mins and I felt I was struggling. When the watch beeped for the last km I decided I would try to get as near to 50mins as I could. I got to the corner of the small park and though ah I'm just around the corner here and on for the finish. But no I'd forgotten I had to go right around the park and was running out of steam. I didn't feel like I had the kick in the legs for the finishing straight.

One of those races where I felt I could have done better. Bar parkrun I haven't really been running much this month, had I been doing even a bit during the week I might have felt fitter. I got lunch when we got to Dublin and had a gorgeous Panini - but the pesto in it kept repeating on me along the run. And lastly - sorry for the TMI - but I had a bit of a lady problem along the way. Even though I went to the loo before the start, I still suffered a bit of leakage along the run. I usually wear a sanitary or tenna pad but I didn't think of it this time and I have to say the last 2 km in particular I did not feel comfortable at all. Few lessons to learn from this race and a bit of a kick up the backside for me to start doing a bit more.

Well done on a great run yesterday.

You'd think since getting a race done (Raheny 5 mile) that it would have fired up the belly and got me out running again. Short answer: No.
    I had contemplated signing up for the Maher 100 mile event for Feb, then considered doing a modified version of swapping the miles for kms. Then I missed the start of the challenge cos I'd a hen party, then it took a few days to recover from the hen, then I was a few days behind and literally couldn't bring myself out to make a start. Excuses excuses. I'm feeling guilty when I see others posting their miles on facebook.

28/01/2019
    Post Raheny recovery 8km walk around the town while the kid was at training.

09/02/2019
    6km walk while I had an hour to myself at home in the afternoon. I had volunteered for parkrun that morning but arrived dressed to run in the hope that someone might volunteer on the day but I was handed the hefty responsibility of the timer. Eeek!

16/02/2019
    Missed parkrun as junior had a xc race (and got through to the all Irelands). So a 6km walk in the afternoon.

18/02/2019
    With himself at training, had a 10km route planned out to run. Started off nice and easy, conversational pace. Once I got over the 2km mark I started to feel light headed. Walked a bit, tried to start up running again a couple of times but couldn't get back into it. Shortened my route and settled for a walk instead. Disappointed myself. I just haven't been able to get back into running.

Was supposed to have a local 7km race on the previous Sunday but a water leak in the house where a bathroom became a proverbial wet room put paid to that.

I do have one race signed up for. I'm doing a half relay in Lough Boora at the start of April. I should be training for that now, especially when the two weekends before the race are completely taken up.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering how your running was going!

It is so hard to get back at it once the mojo is not there. I was like that a few weeks ago. Then the guilt kicks in!

It sounds simple but the only way to get back running is to get back running! Plan your week, decide the days you will get out no matter what happens and stick to it. It is amazing how your mojo will return once you get out for a couple of runs and you realise that you really missed it.

You have time to get the training in for the Lough Boora Half so lets focus! Happy training :)

Sat 23/02/19 4km 27:37
    Splits: 6:29, 7:04, 6:49, 7:01
    I know - an actual run! Gyspylee you were so right - the only way is just to get back running. It can be so hard to get out the door, put off your run until another day, and another day, it gets easier to just put off a run and harder to get back into it.
    I was to run parkrun. But when I got there they were short on volunteers so I quickly put myself forward - another excuse not to run. While I was glad to help out and enjoyed what I did - I found that it's become too easy to find excuses and I'm only affecting myself. My husband is getting into his running and when I went out with him last Monday I just held him up.
    Home from parkrun, made dinner and was still in my running clothes so said feck it I'm dressed, I might as well go. Picked out what I thought was a 3km route but turned out to be nearer 4km. No pressure, just go, don't look at the watch, just enjoy a podcast. I did enjoy the run.

Mon 25/02/209 5km 37:01
    Splits: 7:19, 7:40, 7:27, 7:09, 7:14
    I usually go for a run on a mon eve when the child goes to training but he was too tired to go. Usually then I would stay home, do housework, watch tv etc. But I had geared myself up to go for a run and it was a nice evening. Myself and the husband set out to do a 5km route down the town and back. Tried to keep it manageable enough and chatted along to pass the time, and distract myself from overthinking or walking. Glad to get 5km in the legs. Fairly slow time but I just have to build the body back up to running again before I look at my pace.

Delighted to see you back at it. Keep it up now! :)

Thurs 28/02/2019 3km 19:48
    Splits: 6:31, 6:40, 6:31
    Such a nice evening for a run. Decided I would do a shorter, slightly faster run to get the legs going, to remember what it's like to run! Pretty happy with my run and please to get it under 20 mins. Had to pause briefly just about 1.25km out as the calf was tightening up. Few stretches and back out on the go again. Have to say I think I enjoyed it and the time flew by. It's nice to get that little buzz again after running.
    I finished it off with a 15 minute work out from Joe Wicks. It's started doing a couple of his work outs from his youtube channel as I haven't been able to get to gym classes recently.

Mon 04/03/2019 5km 35:44
    Splits: 7:04, 7:52, 6:56, 7:00, 6:26
    I didn't get to run at parkrun on Sat - I was run director - it seemed to pass off well - I'm always nervous that I'll mess it up, that I'll forget something important in the run brief, I won't have explained something properly to a volunteer, a volunteer makes a mistake and I can't fix it or a runner gets hurt or injured. I did think about going for a run that afternoon but it was a dirty day out. Likewise with Sunday, you wouldn't put an animal out in it, never mind yourself!

So kiddo went to training and I set out for a run. I planned to keep it fairly local to the car and just out and back a few local roads a couple of times rather than a longer loop or a longer out and back - to me it felt less daunting. Was going grand for 2km - I got into a day dream along my 2nd km and started stroll at the turning point until I snapped myself out of my daze! After 2km I could feel a few drops of rain, ok fine. By 2.5k it was really starting to come down. And I just kept on going!! I could have turned back to the car but I just kept going further out, I went far enough that by turning and heading back would have brought me up to 5km at the car. I was soaked right through to my knickers and frozen! Had a few mins to spare so drove to the nearest petrol station for a takeaway tea to warm my insides. The me of 2 or 3 weeks ago wouldn't have run in that!

I'm still here!
    I did put up a post a while ago but for some reason Boards never posted it and I just couldn't be ar$ed typing it up again.

15/3/19 3km 20:48
    Splits: 6:41, 7:01, 6:54
    I had planned on going to a gym class cos I hadn't been in ages but our water was acting up again and my husband came home to me in a tizzy! Turns out everything was fine, I just got myself worked up that there was another problem - so he sent me out the door for a run! I set off not knowing where I was going or how far so I ran out so far, looked at my watch to see it was nearly 1.5km then turned and headed back. A grand 3km really cleared the head.

16/03/2019 5km 34:17
    Splits: 6:23, 7:10, 7:17, 7:35, 6:42
    First time to run parkrun in about 2 months. Not the best weather for it and the course was fairly greasy and mucky. 3km in with one large lap left to complete and really did feel like stopping. But I knew the volunteers had come out in that weather so I had to stay going. As always you are glad to have done it when you are finished!

18/03/2018 - 3.5km walk. The young lad was out with his friends for the afternoon so it would have been the perfect time to get out a run but staying close to home. Do you think I could muster up the energy to get out the door. I eventually got out much later than I had planned and just had a short walk. Was sorry I didn't go out earlier as a long walk would have been great.

Probably no more running til April. We've a lot on the mid to end of March and I'm afraid running just cannot be squeezed in. But with one, perhaps 2 races lined up and the hubbie starting to get some mileage in for DCM which I hope to do a bit of the training with him, I'm a bit more optimistic for next month.

I really think the change in time has made a difference.

Thurs 4/4/19 4km 28:39
    Splits: 7:16, 7:11, 7:28, 6:32
    A lovely evening so I got out for a short run along the cycleway. Took it fairly easy as it's so long since I've ran. It was a nice run but it felt logn enough!

Fri - just got out for a 20 mins walk

Sat 06/04/2019 5km parkrun 31:35
    Splits: 6:18, 6:44, 6:28, 6:45, 6:26
    Feels like ages since I've ran at parkrun. Conditions were just right for the run although I was more than half way around before I could shed my jacket. Kept swaying between wanting a decent run and being sensible cos I had a race the next day. Overall happy enough with this run.

Sun 07/04/2019 10.1km 1hr 03 min 38 sec
    Splits: 6:04, 6:10, 6:04, 6:05, 6:10, 6:28, 6:27, 6:20, 6:42, 6:29, 6:24 (0.1)
    Really enjoyed the Lough Boora half marathon relay last year so we signed up for it again this year. This time around I was the first leg and I think I preferred the route for the first leg although you do miss the buzz of making your way to the finish line.

Weather was cool enough waiting around trying to warm up and keep warm. They had pacers this year and I positioned myself at the very back, as I usually would. But then I realised that I was only doing 10km so I could move up a bit! So I set myself up behind the 2:10 pacers. We set off and after 500m I found one of the pacers stretching away on me but I think he was maybe a little quick. Just after 2km I had the 2nd 2:10 pacer pass me and dug in a bit, I wasn't letting him away on me too. So I passed him and made up some ground. It was great to have a crowd around me running, usually the back of the pack is a bit lonely. Each km ticked away, the scenery is lovely, the route fairly flat except going over the level crossings. Passed the 5km mark at 30:41 - mighty pleased with that time.

However 5.5km in and I could feel the legs getting a little tired. By 6.5km I could really feel the lack of mileage in the legs, they were getting harder to lift. Tried to keep the head going and keep on pace with others around me. I kept reminding myself that I was only doing 10km, I could keep it going for another few km, those around me had a lot longer to do. Around the 8km mark the second 2:10 pacer passed me and I had to let him go. A walking break around 8km and another around 9km - I was struggling to lift the legs and I'd say those around me were probably thinking what was I doing around 2:10 time walking. After my break at 9km I dug in, I'd approx 1.5km to go, I could do it. First target was to get to 10km, then to get to the changeover.
    Hit the 10km mark in 1:02:58 and just up ahead was the changeover so my runner partner had 11km to do.

We were bussed back to the start/finish and I enjoyed cheering people I knew and people I had started with over the line. Would highly recommend this race - the route makes such a change from main roads, streets, traffic etc. Instead you have bog, wind turbines, sculptures, fields, cyclists, fellow runners.

My 10km time is actually a new pb for me. It's been a while since I've raced 10km and I'm happy enough to get it even though I haven't trained much this year. It's a bit strange to get a pb that I haven't trained for. It's been a good running week for me, I'm hoping that it means I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Was delighted to see your time for this run on Strava yesterday. Great running, well done to you both and congrats on the 10k PB.

8/4/19 7.5 km 1hr13
    This was supposed to be a recovery run. But 1km in and I had to stop to stretch out the calves. Another stop half a km later with the calves still quite sore so I decided to just walk it.

11/4/19 6km 50 mins
    A very slow mix of walking and jogging. My watch was going haywire and it was so distracting. I thought I must have messed up the settings from coaching the previous evening. But it turns out it just couldn't lock on a signal. It was very off putting as I had an hour free and my first time trying to run from that point so trying to suss out the distances, the loops etc.

13/4/19
    Did photographer at parkrun.

14/4/19 5km race 30:19 (official time 30:08)
    Splits: 5:36, 5:49, 6:09, 6:09, 6:19
    Had signed up to a local 5km race. I did the same one last year and was already looking forward to the spread in the hall after! Woke up that morning and it was wet, cold and miserable out - I think if I hadn't registered in advance, I probably wouldn't have done the run.
    Got there in plenty of time, we stayed in the hall where it was warm and dry for as long as we could. No delaying at the start, we were away. As it's on narrow country roads, I got caught behind 3 slower people running 3 a breast and had to go into a puddle at the side of the road to pass. I think I did the first km too fast. I wasn't sure what pace I was doing, it was too cold and wet to pull up my sleeves and look at the watch! Spent the first km or 2 avoiding puddles and potholes, the joys of a narrow country road beside the Shannon.
    At the 2km mark I had to take a small walk, kicking myself for starting too fast. Tried to carry on as best I could but another walk at the 3km point, 3.5km, 4km and 4.5km. I've no doubt those walks probably cost me a sub 30 mins and a possible pb. But it was rotten out and it was good enough IMO to have ran at all!
    Great to see so many familiar faces before and after the run - that's one thing I've learned is that running and parkrun has helped me make a lot of acquaintances.

Mon 15/04/19 8.5km walk
    After doing a cold and wet 5km the previous day, it was still bitterly cold on the Mon. I wanted some fresh air and decided wrap up good and warm and go for a walk while kiddo was at training. Cos it was a bright enough evening, we went off track and explored a few roads I don't think I've ever walked on before.

Fri 19/04/19 5km race 30:00 official time
    Splits: 5:37, 5:55, 6:14, 6:14, 5:53
    When I learned I was going to have a child and husband free few hours, I could have relaxed at home with a book! No, I decided to nip over to a town about 45 mins away to take part in a race from their race series. It's a town I've run in before and enjoyed them, but I've never done this full route. Lovely evening out, the glare of the sun had gone but the heat was still there and there wasn't a breath of air out which made the run a bit more difficult.
    Good turnout, we lined out, I slotted in about 3/4 of the way back, which was probably too far forward and we were off. Started off way too quick, I glanced down at my watch at one stage and seen "4" as the first number and had to try and pull back. First km was far too fast but it was difficult at time to put the brakes on. 2nd km I found myself settling into the pace, still a bit quicker than my usual pace but I was happy. But getting to the end of the 2nd km and there was just a long gradual climb which I could feel draining the legs a bit and with no air out I could feel the struggle.
    Once I got back going the 3rd km felt ok, but I was finding that those in front of me were getting further and further away.
    4th km same as the third, felt like I was moving but not getting far. I was having more people pass me at this stage and getting further away and I couldn't find it to dig in. A little breather at 3.75km.
    At the 4km marker I took another walk and the last of my water. When I started back I knew I had less than 1km to go, I just tried to count down the metres, 800m, 700m etc. Thought I might make some ground on those who passed me but they were too strong. I could see one woman who was running a bit and walking a bit and decided I would aim for her. I caught right up to her with 300m to go and gave her some encouragement. I had one eye on the watch and thought there might be a chance of sub 30 and god did I push! I could see the finish line clock with 29:xx and dug right in. My view of the clock was obscured when I crossed, last I seen was 29:58 but when I checked my watch it said 30:00:3! I'll take that and the official time came through at 30:00. Now I want to do that run again this week for the last run of the series!

Sat 20/04/19
    I missed parkrun. Child not able to run so we had a rare Sat morn lie in. I missed the run and the easter treats. I just went out for a 30 min walk.

Mon 22/04/19
    Was away for a night and on the way back we stopped off by the coast. Went for a walk for what I thought was going to be 5 or 6km and turned out to be nearly 10km. I hadn't a watch or fitbit with me, I didn't bother with strava on the phone, just said we'd enjoy the brisk walk. It was lovely but now I've a blister on my sole as we hadn't planned the walk and my footwear accordingly...

• Advertisement

I don't know where last week disappeared to!

Got out for a quick walk around the block on Thurs eve to clear the head - 2km 19mins

Fri 26/04/19 7.3km 55mins
    Someone I know does fundraising runs on treadmills and had asked me to do an hour's stint. Got in a bit later than planned that afternoon and started off. I'll not be converted to treadmill running. I find it difficult to figure out my pace. I'm scared of putting a foot wrong and going flying off! Also because it's inside a shopping centre, there's no air and it's really warm. Wasn't the quickest of runs, a bit a walking involved also.
    After then other people took over I stayed around for a bit chatting and there was a half hour free booking of one of the treadmills so I hopped back up for a half hour, mainly walking as I was still chatting. No idea of the distance covered but it was quick enough so I'd say 3.5km.

I had planned on doing the 5km race series I had done the previous Friday but I was later than planned finishing the treadmills and it's surprising how much the treadmills took it out of me.

Sat 27/04/19
    No running as I was parkrun run director. I think it went ok.

Mon 29/04/2019 8.4km 1:02
    Splits: 6:57, 7:23, 7:18, 7:30, 7:58, 6:51, 7:59, 7:35, 8.08 (0.3)
    An ok run, I think I went out too soon after dinner. A few more walking breaks than I should have. Got back to the car at 8km and usually I would carry on another bit or do laps of the track to bring it to nearer to 10km or until the child was finished training but I was done tbh.

Thurs 02/04/2019 6km 44:56
    Splits: 6:58, 7:59, 7:17, 7:51, 7:18, 7:21
    Again another ok run. Chose the cycleway for this one and although it's grand and flat, it's as long as the day and feels like I'm getting nowhere fast and I find myself taking walking breaks.

Plan for the bank holiday weekend is a slow parkrun in Letterkenny on Saturday followed by the Northwest 10km race on Sunday. I think this is my 5th year doing it - I'll admit I'm nervous about it. Some parts of the course are tough mentally, other parts physical (no such thing as a flat course in Donegal!). Last year wasn't a great finishing time for me, it was boiling hot and medical crews were up to their eyes so I took it sensible and easier. My pb for the race is around 1:05 from 2017 so I would like to beat this.

Advertisement