Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck with your run on Sunday. It can be hard mentally to do a race you have done in previous years so hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck on Sunday! Doesn't sound like heat should be an issue this time anyway. Hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sat 04/05/2019 5km parkrun 33:42
    Splits: 6:41, 6:53, 6:36, 6:50, 6:26
    Probably shouldn't have been running a parkrun the day before a race but we couldn't resist Letterkenny parkrun when we were in the area. It's not the easiest one to do, there's a bit of work involved in it, and a nice climb 3 times. The course goes from 45m to 67m elevation. Tried to keep the pace easy enough, chatted the way around trying to keep pace down. Even though the km splits should have been in the 7:xx per minute range, I didn't feel the need to walk at any stage. The last 300m put the boot down for a last little kick in the legs ahead of the race.

Sun 05/05/2019 Northwest 10k race 1:03:39 official time
    Splits: 6:14, 6:20, 6:25, 6:16, 6:32, 6:20, 6:21, 6:19, 6:14, 5:58, 4:58 (0.15)
    My 5th time I think to do this race and 3rd time on this particular route. Last year's time wasn't particularly great due to it being very warm. Weather forecast was a bit more race appropriate this time around. Got to the start area in plenty of time, collected race numbers and tshirts and chatted a few people we knew. Couple of laps around the next door track with a few stretches in between as the calves felt a bit tight. Set the pacer on the watch for 6:15 per km. We were then called to the start line down the road. The start of this race isn't great (probably the only negative of it), there's no waves or marking to align yourself and there's no great "start" - people in front of you just start moving and you figure "oh right we must be started now..." Didn't get sidelined with too many walkers at the start this year.
    Settled into a pace after 500m of a busy start. Didn't feel the easiest and when the first km beeped on the watch at 6:14 I was a little disappointed, first km is usually a bit quicker and expected that one to be a bit faster than that. Carried on, found the 2nd km still a bit tough, pace for that km 6:21 so behind pace and had me worrying I was a bit over ambitious with my race pace on the watch as I had been swaying between 6:15 and 6:20 per km. Water station at 2.5km and I slowed down to a walk to take a few mouthfuls. 3rd and 4th kms I felt I had settled into my pace and they felt fine.
    5th km I knew was going to be a bit tough for me. There's a gradual incline by the hotel and then around the corner from the roundabout there's a climb by the school. This section got me the past 2 years and while it didn't exactly defeat me again this year, there was a water station at 4.5km so another walking break for some water. At the 5km marker there was a timer and a guy giving encouragement, it was just between 32:30 and 33:00 at this stage and he says you're on track for under 66mins. I felt disappointed, I felt I was behind pace and I had at least wanted under 65mins. Put the head down and carried on, too early to throw the race away yet.
    Next km was fine and steady ahead of the climb up towards to main street. 6km clicked in halfway up the hill, and three quarters of the way up I was reduced to a walk, grrr it had defeated me again this year! I enjoyed the downhill part of the main street to bring me up to 7km and onto more level ground.
    Last year I found the 8th and 9th kms to be tough, you could see people had finished, the kms felt long and the head and tiredness had won out in previous years. I just keep one eye on the pace of the watch and was quite happy with it. Was soon upon a roundabout that felt like miles away last year. Another water station at 7.5km and a few mouthfuls and the next 1.5km felt lovely and steady.
    At the 9km mark there was guy calling times and I think he said 58 mins. OK, I can do this! Tried to keep the pace steady for the next 500m up to a roundabout and then I knew we would be on the home straight. In previous years I would have sprinted from the roundabout and then run out of steam. I picked up the pace but still kept it controlled until 200m to go when I put the boot down. When I crossed the line I felt I should have sprinted earlier but it's a hard one to judge! Done and dusted with 1:03:39 coming in as my official time. My strava says it's a new 10km pb of 1:02:55, I dunno, I'll take that I suppose, the course usually measures long for me!

Well done on the PB. Sounds like a tough race in places but you did great.

Thurs 09/05/2019 7km 52:49
    Splits: 7:18, 7:58, 7:59, 7:40, 7:13, 7:38, 6:42
    Lovely evening out. Jogged over to the local park and did a few laps around it before it closed. Few other people out walking laps but going the other direction and kept meeting at various points around the park. Gets a bit awkward, do you keep saying hi or acknowledging them each time?!

Fri 10/05/2019 6km walk 1hr
    Procrastination walk! Had a free afternoon and lots to do: baking, cooking dinner, cleaning the house. Went out for an hour long walk instead!

Sat 11/05/2019 5km 32:47
    Splits: 6:59, 6:31, 6:17, 6:18, 6:20
    Darkness into Light. The past few years I've walked this but wanted to run this year. We were going to a communion down the country Sat morning so on the one hand I wanted my sleep, on the other hand I didn't want to miss DIL. Parked up 5 mins before the start and walked down towards the start area only to meet the crowd already walking towards me, it must have started early. Turned and headed off running. It was crowded for the first bit naturally but cleared after 500m. It's so different to run around town in the dark on the roads. Not many people were running it so it was a little lonely. By the time you get to 3km you could hear the birds starting. Didn't hang about when I finished up, just grabbed a banana and headed home to my bed for a few hours.

Sun 12/05/2019 9.75km 1:04:38
    Splits: 6:18, 6:40, 6:24, 6:40, 6:41, 6:45, 6:48, 7:03, 6:46, 5:54 (0.75)
    The Irish Wheelchair Association had organised a 5k/10k nearby and I wanted to support a local event. Just back from the communion I said I'd pop down and do the 5km. Quite a warm afternoon and a nice turnout. We set off and I just followed the people in front. I looked at my watch at 2.75km and no one infront or behind me was turning (it was an out and back route)... I said it to the lady behind me and she says I think we go one another bit. Got after 3km and still no one turned. They all seemed to be doing the 10km. I seen a road junction up ahead I said I'd go as far as there and turn back. But when I got that far it was nearer 4km and there were people marshalling there so it would just look like I was taking a shortcut. I decided feck it I'll just carry on and do the full 10km! The route back was a bit of a struggle. Cold water at the turning point did help. I passed two women and tried my best to keep them behind me the rest of the way. Around the 8km mark I had wished I brought my phone and earphones, it was a bit lonely and boring, I'm not a big fan of running on the greenway. The last 750m picked up to a nice pace. Watch measured short of 10km but here, it was 4.75km more than what I had planned on doing!

Mon 13/05/2019 7km walk 1:20
    Usually the youngster has training and I was debating whether to walk or run while he was at training. He had no interest in going training and I was kinda raging cos I was ready and all. He said sure I'll go out for a walk with you instead of going training. Well I made him walk! 7km of a walk! In fairness it was a nice walk and good to spend time with him. For a speedy runner, he's a slower walker.

• Advertisement

I have no idea where last week went!!

Tues 14/05/2019 18.5km cycle 1:15
    Decided for a change of scenery to go for a cycle with the young fella. We live about 2 or 3km away from a cycleway and probably don't make enough use of it. God cycling is tougher than I thought! And the last km to the house is all uphill. Could fairly feel it in my quads the next day. It probably is something I should be doing more often.

Didn't get out for a run for the rest of the week, I can't even remember what I did on Thurs even cos I had got into the habit of a slow run. Got out for a few walks instead. Was run director at parkrun so no run on Sat. Hubbie went for his long run on Sun morn but I stayed in bed. I regretted not going with him after.

Mon 20/05/2019 6.3km 43:53
    Splits: 6:41, 6:30, 7:02, 7:11, 6:50, 6:45, 8:46 (0.3)
    This was no ordinary run for me! This was an actual running session! A local running group had advertised a running session in the park and with a free evening at my disposal I tagged along. I know a good few faces from that group but it was still a bit daunting turning up on my own and also cos I'm a slower runner than most.
    A little warm up and few stretches and into 8x600m with 200m recovery in between. And it was actually good. I needed something like this to push me on a bit. I tried to keep the intervals in the 5:xx min/km which is fast for me but where I'm aiming for pace wise. The guy who took the session was very helpful and gave some little pointers which was new to me, I've never had someone actually look at my running form before.
    And I got to try out my new watch! I got a Garmin Forerunner 35 as my belated Christmas present. It's all fancy with a HR monitor and everything. Not quite sure what the heart rate stuff means as yet but it tells me that most of my run was Z3 153-169 and Z4 169-184 - I take it that was a good effort!

Sat 25/05/19 5.4km 37:41
    Splits: 6:38, 6:31, 7:30, 6:46, 7:38, 6:29 (0.4)
    I was so looking forward to parkrun! It feels like ages since I've ran my local! But when we landed we found out it had been cancelled - the poor core team hadn't been told the grounds were unavailable. But everyone just went and did their own thing, ran the part of the course that was available over and back a few times to get a run in. Running back part of the course felt tougher hence the splits. But you could have easily not run at all and just gone straight for coffee!

Sun 26/05/2019 5.14km 31:06
    Splits: 5:54, 6:17, 6:21, 6:07, 5:44, 5:05 (0.14)
    Local 5km fun run being held. It's on the greenway, a good flat course. Was really hoping for around the 30 min mark on this one. After 1.5km I could already feel myself struggling. It was quite humid out and warm in unsheltered areas. At the turning point I took a bit of a walk. Picked it up and tried to stay behind a guy who looked like he was just out for a leisurely jog. Another walking break at 3.5km and I lost yer man. Had to give myself a kick up the backside to get going again. Spotted a lady ahead and decided she was my target. I caught up with her at the 4km mark and could see she was struggling a bit so I gave her some encouragement. Next thing she took off, I was like here I was being nice, I didn't mean beat me!! So I kept her within reach. At 4.5km she was flagging again after her burst but I knew I could keep going at 5:45min/km. But that finish line felt so far away!! Seriously my watch beeped for 5km and I wasn't near finished! I could see the clock on 30:xx and tried to kick up the legs to get in under 31 mins but just missed it.
    I was happy with my last km and strong finish. But I felt like I had ran quicker than 31 mins so was a little annoyed at the time! But I hit the 5km mark at 30:25 per my watch so that's not too bad.

Mon 27/05/19
    4.75km walk in 48 mins. Missed the heaviest showers.

I've signed up the a 5 mile race this Thurs. I did this route 2 years ago, tough in spots. But I did the 5km run last year and wasn't really a fan even though the last 2kms are the same route. Not many 5 mile races about here so I might as well take the opportunity.

Away on hols the following week. Packing the runners as there's an iconic park nearby I want to get a run in!

Thurs 30/5/19 Tubberclair 5 mile 50:26
    Splits: 6:00, 6:01, 6:12, 6:16, 6:32, 6:13, 6:25, 6:36

There's not many 5 mile races in my neck of the woods so when one comes around it's hard to pass it up. I did the 5km route last year and it felt like torture in the heat. No worries with the weather this year, humid with a fine mist - typical Irish summer's evening.

Collected our race numbers and headed on for the start - 5 mile starting one way; 5km which my son was doing going the other. Nice to see so many familiar faces at the start. Started off fine for the first km - it's so easy to start to fast on this race as the 1st km is all downhill. 2nd km the route settled down and it was nice and steady. 3rd km you could feel a gradual incline on the road coming up to a crossroads - I've driven this road manys a time and never notice the climb in the car. At the crossroads my friend's kids were spectating and I got hi-5's from them. 4th was another steady km and some nice houses to admire.
    5th km was a hairy one! First half of the km is a nice downhill that calls on you to pick up the pace and makes you feel confident but the second half of it just takes the legs from under you! You get a tougher than expected climb towards a left corner to empty the legs a bit and then you turn the corner and bam such a climb in front of you. It knock you down mentally. I just put the head down and pumped the arms and legs up that hill, I would have probably been quicker walking it!
    The 6th km gives you some reprieve as you get your stride back. But then into the 7th km and you are meeting with the walkers from the 5km from here on in. I felt they really had an impact on me this year - many were walking 4 & 5 abreast the full width of the country road and I had to alert them a number of times and try to weave past kids who ran unpredictably in any direction. I just felt that I was losing my stride. It's also a tough part of the course with climb, corner, climb, corner. The last km I thought was never going to end. I ended up having to stop as the road was busy with cars and a bunch of walkers stopped to let them past and I couldn't get by. In the last couple hundred metres I just hadn't it in me to sprint for the finish, I just willed one leg infront of the other! I was a little disappointed with my finish time, I really was hoping and aiming for sub 50 mins. Guess I gonna have to find a flatter 5 miles race.

Great spread of food on afterwards. Presentation then where my son was awarded 3rd male in the 5km (22mins even) - he's so delighted and I've very proud of it.

Well done on your 5 mile race, that sub 50 will be yours the next time.

Congrats to your son too, a great time.

I saw your holiday run on Strava and will be looking for info when you get back :)

Weds 05/06/2019 10.57km 1:39:03
    Splits: 9:58, 8:28, 7:07, 9:26, 9:41, 10:30, 11:27m, 12:14, 7:10, 8:32, 7:49 (0.57)
    We were away on holiday in New York. And sure you couldn't travel all that way as a runner and not jog in Central Park! The Tues we rented bikes and cycled two loops of the Park, one stopping frequently to explore, the second loop to have a good pedal around, it's so safe for cyclists. At least I was more familiar with the Park for my run.

I figured it was just over a km to the Park, I planned on doing 5km in the park and the 1km back to the hotel, making it 7. Bit of stopping and starting with the traffic lights. Also pausing to take photos or check google maps. When I got to my half way point I was at the entrance to the running track around the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir so I hopped on it for a loop which added 2.5km onto my run. When I finished that I could hear crowds and cheering so went for a spy and turns out there was an event on for World Running Day! Had I known that I would have registered but they seemed to be nearly finished up at that stage. Ran back down the park with a few detours to sightsee.

A great experience to run in the iconic Central Park, New Yorkers are very lucky to have it. Seriously contemplating returning to do the New York half marathon in March 2021 - kiddo will be 16 then and old enough to take part.

• Advertisement

Mon 10/6/19 2.19km 13:44
    Splits: 5:46, 6:55, 5:22 (0.19)
    Kiddo was at training but I ended up doing the grocery shopping. Had 15 mins to spare when I went to collect him so I did a few laps of the running track. Quite a humid evening out. First km was a nice speedy one but the second one was much slower.

Fri 14/06/19
    I'd fallen out of routine of fitness classes. I just kept making excuses, I'll go back next week when I'm not so busy, or a class I would put my name down for would be cancelled due to low numbers. I bit the bullet and went to Friday evening class, 4 sections: weights, core, cardio and kettlebells. Cardio was no problem, core wasn't as bad as I was expecting but I've barely any strength there all the same and no strength in my arms! I think my sporadic Joe Wicks workouts have helped a little - I wasn't sore the next day, just the body was tired.

Sat 15/06/19 5km parkrun 32:38
    Splits: 6:05, 6:25, 6:39, 7:20, 6:23
    First parkrun at my local in over 2 months, I've been either away or volunteering. Himself was run director and normally help him out but nope I said I'm running this weekend!
    Was chatting someone at the start of the run and I just assumed that once we got going a bit he would carry on as he runs faster than me but no he stuck chatting me for ages. It was a bit difficult for me running and holding a conversation at the same time at a pace that would not be easy pace for me. At 3km as much as I was enjoyed talking to him, I sent him on his way. After that I missed his distraction and struggled with my 4th km. Body was feeling quite tired after fitness class the previous evening and then a night out Fri night. I could see a guy behind me in a bright top so I tried to keep him behind me but with 200m to go he got past. Glad to be back at parkrun again. Even if I don't get out for a run during the week, it's great that this is a constant each week. 92 parkruns done' getting closer to that 100 milestone...

Going forward: now that it's the summer, routine is a bit all over the place. Kiddo is finished school, his hobbies are on a break. But hubbie has just registered us for the Tullamore half at the end of August so I'm off to research training plans...

A bit of research into half marathon plans. Came across this one and liked how it has paces for the runs.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a760100/rws-12-week-sub-230-half-marathon-schedules/
    Only thing is my last half was already sub 2:30 (at 2:25). I did think about moving up to the sub 2:15 plan, just to try bring myself along but after my first run on plan I'm not so sure...

Tues 18/06/19 5km 37:05
    Splits: 6:56, 7:24, 7:49, 7:10, 7:06 (av pace 7:16)
    First run from my training plan (and realised after that I was looking at the wrong week).
    Was supposed to do at 7:30 pace but ended up a little quicker. But it felt hard in places, hard to keep moving and made me reconsider moving up to the 2.15 training plan.

Sat 22/06/19 5km 31:50
    Splits: 6:03, 6:41, 6:02, 6:24, 6:03
    We were up in Donegal for the weekend at the rally and as the times for the Saturday stages had changed from previous years, it meant I had time to squeeze in a parkrun before climbing the hill up Knockalla (twice cos I needed a toilet break!).
    Beautiful morning for a parkrun, the warmest I think I've ever had in Letterkenny, there wasn't a breeze. I'm not a particularly sweaty person but it was running down my face after. The climbs felt tough and it's so easy to lose the run of yourself on the declines. Km splits look uneven because kms 2 & 4 are mainly uphill from the bottom of the park the whole way up to behind the old hospital.
    Little surprised at my time, I thought it was closer to 31 mins, it certainly felt it. However it worked out at an average pace of 6:15 so I can't complain about that. Off plan but couldn't pass up opportunity for some parkrun tourism and I knew I wasn't going to get a long run in. It was strange not doing it with neither the hubbie or son but I've done LK a few times now and recognise a few people.

There's been no running since. I'm finding it difficult to find the time, get motivated, tiredness, school holidays, manage around my husband's marathon training. I'm probably just making excuses.

Also to add:
    I'm doing the Sliabh Bawn 10km at the end of July, Tullamore half at the end of August and Rosemount half in Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    A bit of research into half marathon plans. Came across this one and liked how it has paces for the runs.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a760100/rws-12-week-sub-230-half-marathon-schedules/
    Only thing is my last half was already sub 2:30 (at 2:25). I did think about moving up to the sub 2:15 plan, just to try bring myself along but after my first run on plan I'm not so sure...

Tues 18/06/19 5km 37:05
    Splits: 6:56, 7:24, 7:49, 7:10, 7:06 (av pace 7:16)
    First run from my training plan (and realised after that I was looking at the wrong week).
    Was supposed to do at 7:30 pace but ended up a little quicker. But it felt hard in places, hard to keep moving and made me reconsider moving up to the 2.15 training plan.

Sat 22/06/19 5km 31:50
    Splits: 6:03, 6:41, 6:02, 6:24, 6:03
    We were up in Donegal for the weekend at the rally and as the times for the Saturday stages had changed from previous years, it meant I had time to squeeze in a parkrun before climbing the hill up Knockalla (twice cos I needed a toilet break!).
    Beautiful morning for a parkrun, the warmest I think I've ever had in Letterkenny, there wasn't a breeze. I'm not a particularly sweaty person but it was running down my face after. The climbs felt tough and it's so easy to lose the run of yourself on the declines. Km splits look uneven because kms 2 & 4 are mainly uphill from the bottom of the park the whole way up to behind the old hospital.
    Little surprised at my time, I thought it was closer to 31 mins, it certainly felt it. However it worked out at an average pace of 6:15 so I can't complain about that. Off plan but couldn't pass up opportunity for some parkrun tourism and I knew I wasn't going to get a long run in. It was strange not doing it with neither the hubbie or son but I've done LK a few times now and recognise a few people.

There's been no running since. I'm finding it difficult to find the time, get motivated, tiredness, school holidays, manage around my husband's marathon training. I'm probably just making excuses.

Based on your 10k time at the race above (the one organisedmfor the Irish Wheelchair Association), the plan you’ve linked looks okay. If you want to link to the 2:15 plan, I can take a look?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Based on your 10k time at the race above (the one organisedmfor the Irish Wheelchair Association), the plan you’ve linked looks okay. If you want to link to the 2:15 plan, I can take a look?
    This is the 2:15 plan
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a760101/rws-12-week-sub-215-half-marathon-schedules/

I think my post last week was good for me, it got me up off my backside!

Thurs 27/06/19 3km 19:30
    Splits: 6:25, 6:32, 6:25
    I figured any run was better than none. It's so easy just to not bother, say ah sure I'll do it tomorrow. I stood infront of my husband saying I know I should run - tell me to go out and run!!
    A late evening run, perfectly timed as the heat had just gone out of the sun. Didn't go out with any set pace or distance, as I was going along decided to run to the bridge and come back so a nice enough 3km.

Fri 28/06/19
    Early morning exercise class. Trying to get myself back into this habit as well by committing myself to the class in advance. The brighter mornings are making it easier to get up. Tough enough class, arms were tired after.

Sat 29/06/19 5km parkrun 30:59 (parkrun time 31:01!)
    Splits: 5:51, 6:26, 6:10, 6:40, 6:07
    It's strange - my parkrun last week felt quicker, felt like I was trying harder and yet this one turns out to be faster!
    I wasn't setting out to run this one fast, just to run it. Was quite surprised to see the first km time! 2nd km felt good but it was starting to feel very warm. 3rd km felt pretty alright. 4th km was another story. Legs started to feel quite tired on the hills, the sun was fairly beating down and was glad to get some tree cover at 3.5km. Onto the last km and I could sense there was a guy behind me. I tried to keep in front of him as long as I could but he passed me with about 300m to go. At 200m to go I realised I was under 31 mins and really tried for the line but was just over.

Sun 30/06/19 12km 1hr 31mins
    Splits: 7:31, 7:14, 7:22, 8:01, 7:02, 7:35, 7:35, 7:33, 8:04, 7:34, 7:21, 7:16
    I think this is my longest run since last October! Plan (which I seem to be very loosely sticking to!!) said 11km but himself had 24km to do so I told him to plan a 12km loop and I'll do a loop with him. All in all it was actually quite enjoyable, I could have gone on but I was glad to finish. Started off fine then 1.5km out the rain started and didn't ease off until we had about 5km done, but long enough to soak us. Didn't really feel like I needed a walking break, few pauses when meeting traffic on narrow country roads or to cross over a road.
    Average pace was 7:31 which was a nice pace for me, bit faster than prescribed and himself should have probably been going slower too. Not the best idea to curl up in bed after while himself did his second loop, was a bit stiff in the afternoon.

I looked at this and completely forgot to respond. It's up to you, I guess. The 2:15 plan has two sessions a week which seems like a lot for a plan with four runs a week. I also don't think I would go near a half marathon time trial at any point in the plan. The 2:30 plan is fine but a fourth run, if you could manage it, would certainly help.

I looked at this and completely forgot to respond. It's up to you, I guess. The 2:15 plan has two sessions a week which seems like a lot for a plan with four runs a week. I also don't think I would go near a half marathon time trial at any point in the plan. The 2:30 plan is fine but a fourth run, if you could manage it, would certainly help.
    Thanks. When I converted the pace times over to kms I realised that in particular the long run paces were too quick for me. The long run pace seems more like my h/m pace! Will try stick with the 2:30 plan

Mon 01/07/2019 5km 32:43
    Splits: 6:43, 6:36, 6:44, 6:41, 5:51
    Session in the park with a local running group. 2 laps fast, half a lap walk. I must figure out is there something I can do on my watch to split out the fast and slow sections, my km splits don't really show how "fast" I go in the fast sections. Lovely breeze coming off the river, it was a good evening for running.
    900m cool down @ 6:43/km - bit fast for my pace of a cool down but chatting and trying to keep up with the others.

Tues -rest, Weds - bbq, Thurs - 5km walk with a friend.
    Fri morn - fitness class, was really tough, found the weights too heavy, I feel like such a weakling!

Sat - was run director for parkrun. Still get nervous beforehand, there's so much to do and remember. This time around I forgot to get a photo of the volunteers and at the first timer briefing I forgot to actualy explain how parkrun worked with finish tolens, barcodes etc. From looking at the results after, it seems most of the first timers had parkrunned (?) (parkran?) before.

Sun 07/07/2019 13km 1hr 38mins
    Splits: 7:08, 8:02, 7:13, 7:11, 8:09, 8:00, 7:41, 7:25, 7:46, 7:27, 7:22, 7:37, 7:27
    Was at Westlife on Sat night so I was in no fit state to run on Sun morn! Went out that evening after 7pm. About 1.5km in and I was already walking, it was so humid out. I wanted to turn and go home. At 2.3km I used the loo at the petrol station and again I wanted to turn back and go home. But I kept on going along my planned route, walking breaks here and there but as long as I kept myself moving forward! Got outside the town and onto country roads. However the sun was dropping, the shadows were getting longer, I wasn't wearing a hi-vis and the flies were out. I didn't think that the next 6km which I had planned to be rural were going to be a good idea so I turned at 6.5km which coincided with a junction and decided to run back the route I came, at least most of my run would be town/main road based and safer with the light dulling. Just kept plodding along with a few walking breaks was the jist of my run.
    It felt like a hard enough run, I don't remember it being this hard last year (or the year before) - how on earth have I done 3 half marathons?!!

• Advertisement

Mon 08/07/2019 5.5km 31:56
    Splits: 5:56, 5:38, 5:44, 5:42, 5:34, 6:29 (0.5)
    Nope my watch isn't acting up! Never thought I'd see a row of 5:xx like that!
    Hadn't planned on a run this eve but my husband's thing was on later than planned so he said are you going to the running group in the park and I didn't need to be told twice! The session involved 750m warm up, stop for stretches, then 4 x 1km run with 2-3 mins rest between each km, 750m jog back and cool down stretches. The group is faster than me (as most people are!) so I found it really pushed me along to try and keep up with them. Fair play to one of the girls who stayed with me and it really helped me along. I paused my watch at each rest stop. It was actually a lovely running loop, down roads I've never been on before. I'm really going to try make more of an effort to get to these Monday sessions and hopefully my paces will improve.
    Edit to add: it feels like a stark contrast to my previous day's run!

Mon 01/07/2019 5km 32:43
    Splits: 6:43, 6:36, 6:44, 6:41, 5:51
    Session in the park with a local running group. 2 laps fast, half a lap walk. I must figure out is there something I can do on my watch to split out the fast and slow sections, my km splits don't really show how "fast" I go in the fast sections. Lovely breeze coming off the river, it was a good evening for running.
    900m cool down @ 6:43/km - bit fast for my pace of a cool down but chatting and trying to keep up with the others.

Tues -rest, Weds - bbq, Thurs - 5km walk with a friend.
    Fri morn - fitness class, was really tough, found the weights too heavy, I feel like such a weakling!

Press the lap button on your watch when you start and finish each rep.

Press the lap button on your watch when you start and finish each rep.
    Is that the top right button (Garmin forerunner 35)

Edit: it's ok, I figured out how to do it last night. Will test it out next time I'm doing intervals or something that needs a split that's not per km.

Weds 10/07/2019 - hill repeats
    I've met up with a running group the odd Monday evening, very casual like. They had announced that they were doing a hills session on the Weds. This got my interest. I hate hills, I'm allergic, I just switch off when I get to them, I cave in and walk them. I figured I was either going to love or hate this session. Weds don't normally suit me but I moved a few things around to give it a go.
    750m warm up run, again too fast for me.
    8 hill repeats of about 250m in distance rising up about 15m per garmin. Walk back down the hill to recover. First one I thought ah that's fine. Second one I thought oh that's a little tougher. Each one after that I was like jeez this is tough going. As I'm a newbie he said 6 reps would be fine. I got to 6 and no one else was stopping so I said I'd do one more, and another. The last two were my quickest reps. I was quite happy that I never stopped once going up the hill to walk, might have thought it once or twice though. I actually felt stronger on the hill than what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised. And I wasn't miles behind everyone else.
    Afterwards 750m jog back and stretches.
    Covered about 5.5km in about 46 mins including the recovery walks, warm up and cool down.

Today is most certainly a rest day!

Well done on the hill repeats. I keep meaning to try them as I really hate hills too. Not brave enough yet!

Fri 12/7/19 2.5km 19.24 mins & 4km 30:52 mins
    Got nabbed yet again for a charity treadmill run. Was kinda dreading this one as the last time I did one in this location I really struggled, there was no aircon in the place. Figured this would be even worse with the summer humidity but it was actually ok due to having better treadmills.

My run was in 2 parts as someone else who had volunteered had arrived as I had just over 2km done but they were a little stuck for time. So I let her on the treadmill for a bit and took over again after. Bit of a walk for a while on my second go as I was chatting someone. At the end it felt like I hadn't really got a proper run at the treadmill due to the break in the middle. Oh don't worry I'm sure I'll get caught again in the coming months to do another one!

Sat 13/07/2019 5km parkrun 30:16
    Splits: 6:00, 6:17, 5:58, 6:12, 5:40
    My second quickest parkrun I think! I hadn't planned on going this quick, I just wanted a decent run and not to walk the hills. I stuck behind a girl I know for at least half of this parkrun and tried to stay with her. I did have to pause twice for water but I kept it super quick! At around the 3.75km mark I passed her. I seen another woman ahead who would be around a 30min runner but didn't think I'd catch up on her when I did at 4.25km. I passed her and kept on going. At 4.5km I could really feel the tiredness and thought I might have pushed to soon passing out N but I knew I hadn't far to go so I tried to hold on in there. A quick glance at the watch and I thought I could be around the 30 mark so I just tried to push on as best I could. Quite happy with that time at the end and I didn't walk any hills! Even a few people commented after about how strong I looked out there on the course. parkrun cake was enjoyed after that!

Sun 14/07/19 8.5km 1:06:50
    Splits: 7:07, 7:59, 8:28, 8:10, 7:51, 7:41, 7:56, 7:54, 7:26 (0.5)
    A not so good run, plan was 14.5km, cut it short. I should have got up earlier that morning when I stirred at 6:30 but fell back asleep until 9 so it was nearly 10am before I got out, far too late with the heat! 1km out and both calves were cramping, 2km mark and the left calf was still tight and I was walking. Got to 2.5km and considered going home. Once I got out of the town after 3km, the side of the road I was on wasn't sheltered and the sun was beaming down. I turned after 4km and at least the other side of the road was sheltered a bit. Felt like there were walking breaks every 500m. I had planned to call into the house at the 8.5km point, get fresh water and a jelly. But the last bit was a struggle and I really didn't want to go any further. I thought I might have got out for another run that evening to make up the miles but it didn't happen.
    I dunno - maybe I did too much this week, maybe I went too hard at parkrun. Just a little worried that it's been my second disappointing long run. I know the half is 6 weeks away but I'm with my inlaws at least 2 weekends and am registered for a 10km one other weekend. I haven't many free weekends for long runs so I should be really hitting them fine at this stage.

Missed Monday's park session and didn't get out for a run on Tues either - both due to bringing the turf home - surely that counts as a workout - it certainly uses your core throwing it into the shed!

Weds 17/07/19 6km 40:31
    Splits: 6:49, 7:02, 7:42, 6:30, 5:56, 6:22
    I think this could be best described as a run of two halves! Set out for an easy enough 6km. But the calves had other stories, paused at 1km to stretch them, again at 2km, a walk at 2.5km, another pause at 3km for more stretching. I figured at this rate I could be doing a bit of walking on my way back. Not long after the turning point and a person I know passed me and I said something along the lines of me having to move a bit. He slowed down and ran with me and chatted and I completely forgot about my calves. I actually enjoyed the run then, the pace was lovely and I was still able to chat. We parted ways about 500m from home and my form dropped off, bit annoyed I didn't make it up the hill to the house without walking. I think I might try another hill session close to home some evening.

Gym class Fri morn, mainly doable but some sections were just a hard exercise to do.

I'm not at home this weekend. Planning on doing parkrun on Saturday morning anyway. Not sure about how to manage the long run yet. However, there is a 15km run/race nearly on the Sunday morning that I'm quite tempted with as my plan says 14.5km (9 miles) anyway... Thinking if I do it, I'd go at an easy-ish pace of 7mins/km. And I'd have to ask the inlaws if they would mind kiddo for the couple of hours. And I'm signed up to a 10km the next Sun (Sliabh Bawn) although it's not a goal race or pb attempt for me. Eh to be sensible or to take the opportunities to run as they arise?

Sat 20/07/19 5km parkrun 31:50
    Splits: 6:06, 6:24, 6:02, 6:40, 6:04
    Letterkenny parkrun again! Feels like I've run here nearly as much this year as I have my local one, will be back again in a couple of weeks! Just tried to keep the pace manageable, brisk but not too fast. Was happy enough with the effort and helped the hubbie to a course pb.

Didn't manage to get out for the 15km run/race on the Sun. We were only up in Donegal for a short weekend, had a bit of visiting to do and catching up with people meant late nights. We couldn't really ask the inlaws to mind the child and be away for 3 or 4 hours.

Mon 22/07/19 6.45km 44:16
    Another park session of a warm up then 6 x 800m with 2 mins recovery walk. Was thinking of giving it a miss as I was tired after a busy weekend and flat out at work but himself ordered me out the door.
    Paces for the 6 x 800m were: 6:00/km, 6:09, 6:05, 5:53, 5:35, 5:33
    Pretty happy with those, wasn't really paying attention to my watch so was pleasantly surprised to see after that each interval getting quicker. Feels like the guys running the sessions are miracle workers, I'm really surprised at myself in these sessions, didn't think I had those paces or abilities in me - I don't know how they are doing it!

Was busy doing house things and that took up most of my evenings this week.

Fri 26/07/2019
    Gym session on Fri morn - was fine.

I knew I had a free afternoon on Fri so I was looking forward to getting out for a run. But I ended up having to work late and was annoyed by the time I got home and not in running humour. But at the same time I needed some fresh air so I ended up going for a long walk instead - 8.5km.
    Then as the hubbie was running a race on Sat I went out fro a quick walk with him that night, another 2km walked.

Sat 27/07/2019
    I had volunteered to do tail walk at parkrun. I'm nearing the milestone 100 parkrun but I didn't want to be going quickly as I was doing a race on Sunday. However they were short on volunteers (nothing new there) and I ended up timekeeping instead. I'm not gonna lie - I was secretly fuming that no one else would step up to volunteer and it now means that I won't get my 100 parkrun milestone before the end of the summer like I had hoped.
    I went out for a 5km walk that evening to try and get out of my bad mood!

Sun 28/07/2019 10km race Sliabh Bawn 1:09:14
    Splits: 6:59, 7:13, 6:32, 7:28, 5:53, 7:41, 6:35, 7:46, 6:02, 6:55
    Wow this was a race like no other! It certainly was an experience! My husband did the back 2 back 10k option. Anyone I spoke to in the days before the race - as soon as I mentioned the race you could see it in their faces; best of luck, enjoy the views, i don't envy you etc.

So well organised from start to finish, couldn't fault that. Parked up, tshirts collected and on the shuttle bus out to the start. Fab location in the wind farm on a hill. Plenty of time to use the portaloo, do some stretches and have a chat. Cheering on people who were doing loops for the half and full marathons.

So we set off and first km was all climbing. Not bad climbing, just needing a little effort. After 1km I was already sweating, it shouldn't feel this tough so early. 2nd km was still climbing. People ahead were walking. Oh my god, please keep going. I did walk briefly around the 1.5km mark and set off again as the climbing eased off a bit.

3km was actual fine, along this km there were a few styles to negotiate which required some fancy footward to side step. But we could see the big climb ahead...

Starting in the 4th km and it was up and up. I really keep running it as long as I could, passing people walking as I went, I was happy I ran as long as I could before having to walk. As soon as there was a little reprieve, back to running again. An out and back by a wind turbine and we had reached the highest point of the course. 5th km was all downhill, it was lovely, made sure to watch the footing as the course was largely gravel and also not to go too mad running downhill and burn out my energy.

6th km there was another climb, not as bad in height but by effort it felt was worse. The legs just weren't having it, I was a bit worried cos we were just over half way but everyone around me was in the same boat.
    7km was enjoyable, first half was all downhill and into a forest where we had some trail run, loved this bit.

8km was another story. Out of the forest, loop around another wind turbine then turn a corner and it was just up and up. Trying to run but could only manage in bursts, the power wasn't in the legs. Water station at the end of this km (think this was the 3rd one we met) and I filled my water bottom and took one of the cola shots they had.

9th km was fine, bitta downhill so went with them. Some support along the course here which was nice. Looked at my watch at the start of this km and seen I had 8km done in 56 mins and figured I was on target for 1:10.

Last km the body just wanted done! There was a section of the course of mulch and it was so hard to get your rhythm on it, it was spongey and such hard work on tired legs. After that any little climb at all felt like a mountain! 500m to go, one final wind turbine to loop around, another corner with an uphill and I really wanted this to be over. Met a guy walking back the course I knew and while I appreciated his words of encouragement and stuff like that near the end normally gives me a little boost, there just wasn't anything left. 200m to go and we turn where we started and where the bus stop was and it was great to have the support there. I knew I had a small incline (compared to the rest of the route) to the finish but the sprint at the end wasn't there, it was just putting one foot infront of the other.

Bit of a wait for the bus after but it was a good chance to stretch out and chat a few people while doing so, I think that's why I'm not stiff or sore (yet) today. Nice spread of food in the clubhouse after, bit of pasta, sandwiches, profiteroles! Also there were calypso ice lollies at the finish, they were the business!

Was so glad to have that over with. Was happy to have done it, thankful I didn't do the back to back (cos I had been tempted with it). Glad I did it, it was an experience but it's like a bucket list item for me, not sure if I'd do it again. If I did, I would run it a lot slower and more relaxed. But I hate hills and I did it!!

• Advertisement

Well done. Sounds like a tough course on a hot day and you smashed it!

Advertisement