Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow what a fabulous update. That is some improvement, well done, super time & performance on the 5k. I wonder if you went out at 5:05-5:10 pace what would happen 😉 Not that is matters really, what matters is the happiness and pure joy that oozes from that update, wonderful to read. It sounds like joining the Athletics Club was a real turning point for you? You definitely deserve new runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That's a brilliant result!! Absolutely delighted for you, talk about smashing a target. Well done ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going there, super parkrun time(s), congrats!

No doubt the club training will bring you on a lot if you approach it properly.

And sorry again about Raheny. 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

21 - 27 March

Not been the most active of weeks. Had a bit of a head cold on me at the start of the week and restricted my movements "just in case" despite daily negative antigens. So I gave the 2 training sessions a miss and just hadn't the energy for the online exercise classes, just a slow walk. By Thurs I was feeling better and a friend suggested I join her for an exercise class that evening and I felt so much better after it, back to normal.

Parkrun Sat morn done in 28:47 - my second fastest for that course. Happy with that time, wasn't racing it and spent all bar the last km chatting. A nice 5km walk along the river in the afternoon sunshine.

Sun long run 11.2km 1 hr 18mins. It had been well over a month since I'd done anything over 10kms so I wanted nice and easy for this one. Very warm morning out, dusted off the shorts. Since my running has improved (fingers crossed) I find I'm enjoying the long runs with company more, I like that I'm now able to chat and run and not feel like I'm struggling, I like that they finally feel easy and doable.

28 Mar - 3 Apr

Mon - Training on the track, intervals of 8mins hm pace, 5 mins 10k pace, 8 mins hm pace and 3 mins x 2 of hill repeats. Lovely session, loving getting a variation in runs at training and trying to get a feel for paces. With a warm up and cool down I covered 8.3kms.

Tues - just out for a walk that morn

Weds - training, speed session of 8 x 2 mins and 4 x 1 mins. Didn't really go fast on these, I fell into conversation with someone and enjoyed catching up with her. I suppose that's the social side of an athletics club. Covered 8.3km again.

Thurs - I wanted to get 5km done to hit my target of 100kms run for the month of March. So dragged husband out for an easy 5km on the nice evening where we alternated between sunshine and hailstones!

Fri - online workout. Missed Mon and Weds morning ones.

Sat - got an early morning workout done in the gym studio, who am I doing a circuits class at 7:15am on a Sat?! Over to parkrun then as I was the run director. Afterwards straight over to a local Climb With Charlie event which was just lovely, welcoming atmosphere, chatting to strangers.

Sun - no long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats on the 5K!! great to see another log back up and running.

4 - 10 April

Mon: training on the track - 10 mins, 8, 7 and 6 with 2 mins recovery after each one. With warm up and cool down covered 5 miles.

Tues: online workout that morn. A late evening 4.4km run in 28mins after dinner settled.

Weds: morning workout. Evening track speed session of 6 x 2 mins and 6 x 1 mins. The wind was unreal and at one section of the track it was a battle to stay upright and moving - urgh and knowing you have to face into it on every lap! 6.8km in 45mins including rest periods and fighting the wind.

Thurs: I don't normally run these many days in a row and during the week. But missing out on a few long runs this month and it was a nice evening also. 6kms in 40mins, tried to keep it easy enough.

Fri: online workout

Sat: parkrun 27:05. Splits: 5:24, 5:28, 5:17, 5:28, 5:09. We were away visiting family so I managed to pop out as there was a parkrun not far away. Did about a mile warm up beforehand. I've done this course before and got 29:30 so wasn't really aiming for much except to beat it and get under 29mins. First km was fine settling into pace, bit of climbing on the second km but sticking with those around me, 3rd km a good downhill I made use of, 4th km I passed a group of about 5 men which never happens to me, 5th and final km was to reel in their friend who was ahead of them and then keep them all behind me to the end! I hadn't really planned on going that fast or getting competitive - it just happened! Really enjoyed it though!

Sun: the sabbath day of rest and eating!!

11 - 18 April

Mon: track training that evening. Warm up, 8mins x2, 7mins x2, 6mins x1, cool down. It's sometimes hard to know what pace I should be doing on these longer intervals, I do hear mutterings of 10k pace, half marathon pace, but at this moment in time I don't know what those paces are for me! So it's "just keep going" pace for me! Covered just over 5 miles in 54 mins including walking the rest intervals.

Tues: tried out a bit of yoga, not sold on it yet. Not as flexible as I thought I was!

Weds: workout that morn. Track running that eve. Warm up, 3mins x2, 2mins x 8, cool down. Lovely warm evening for a run. Covered just over 7kms in 45mins including walk intervals.

Thurs: 5km walk that evening to stretch out the legs and get some fresh air.

Fri: Busy day, off work. Did online workout early morning. Went for a 5km walk after, town lovely and quiet at 7:30/8 am! 5km race that evening. Warm up of one mile beforehand. Race: 26:56. Splits: 5:20, 5:37, 5:27, 5:24, 5:04. A route I've covered a number of times so I knew the lay of the land so i was interested to see my improvements (if there were any!). First km ok, trying not to start out too fast. 2nd km felt tough, legs felt tired already, was regretting that early morning walk. 3rd km ok, out and back route so were meeting the ones ahead of me and also encouraging those behind me. 4th km trying to hang in there. I had passed a lady and then a minute later I could hear someone breathing behind me, thought it was her so was trying to stay ahead but turns out it was a guy who had been running with his friend and had pushed on himself for the second half. Last km and trying to push on but not go too soon. Wasn't really paying attention to my time until the finish line was in sight and someone shouted at me that I was nearly under 27mins. Last time I ran this route last summer I did 29:26!

Sat: rest. volunteered at parkrun.

Sun: 12km 1hr 24mins. Meeting with a few who were planning on doing 10km. So I parked up a little earlier and got 2km done before the rest had arrived. Nice easy paced run, weather was miserable enough but it was good to get a wet run done and with company it's more difficult to bail out cos of the weather.

19 - 24 April

Mon: Bank hol so I went to a circuits session in the fitness studio as I was off work, a good all rounder of a session. No training on the track this eve with the bank hol, short walk around the block.

Tues: my usual rest day and I did just that.

Weds: missed my online class as I slept out. Did a bit of yoga stretching instead. Run on the track that evening: speedy session 3 x 3mins, 5 x 2 mins and 3 x 1 mins. From looking at my paces, I think I went too fast for the 3 min intervals as the pace is much the same as the 2 min intervals.

Thurs: online fitness class to make up for missing one yesterday. Out for a walk that eve.

Fri: another 5km run in the race series. Was feeling nervous about this one. I'd done better than I had expected the previous week, just not sure if I was able to match it this week. Time: 26:46. Splits: 5:21, 5:31, 5:21, 5:22, 5:05 - 10 seconds quick than the previous week. Happy enough with this, means last week wasn't a fluke! But it felt tougher, the climbs felt harder. The second half of the race felt hard going. 1 mile warm up before hand, not sure should I should make that shorter for the next one?

Sat: online workout I was supposed to do Fri morn. Didn't really enjoy it (no reflection on the instructor), my body was tired and I only really liked the stretching at the end. Back a little achy.

Sun: 10.25km 1:12. Such a perfect morning for a long run, setting off with blue skies and smiles on our faces. Warm enough out, wishing I had a singlet on instead of a tshirt. Greenway was busy with the good weather. Body and legs felt tired enough, glad it was a fairly relaxed pace. Sat down the watch the Formula1 in the afternoon and I stiffened up after. My back loosened up pottering around the house but I went out for a walk that evening and I was practically waddling the last km.

Well done on the 5k PB! It's great to be able improve week on week, enjoy that buzz!

Happy enough with this, means last week wasn't a fluke! But it felt tougher, the climbs felt harder. The second half of the race felt hard going. 1 mile warm up before hand, not sure should I should make that shorter for the next one?

The advise I go by is the shorter the race, the longer the warm-up. So 1 mile is probably bare minimum for a 5k. You need to hit the ground running fast and to do that you need to be well warmed up, there's no time in a 5k to slowly warm into the race like you might in a half-marathon/marathon. Do you do a few strides in your warm-up? That might help to really wake up the lungs and legs, even 3 * 100m strides. At the end of the day I think 5ks are supposed to feel tough, that's the nature (and joy for some people 😂) of them, they hurt like hell but are over quickly 😆

• Advertisement

Thanks @ariana` . i don't do strides in my warm up so I might try them this week for the last of this race series, will stick with the mile distance jog also.

Best of luck with it, if it feels tough just remind yourself that it is supposed to 😀

25 April - 1 May

Mon: Gave the fitness class a miss this morning as my back was a little stiff, sitting at a desk all day didn't help it either. I went to running training and planned to take it easy enough. Was ginger on the first couple of laps but loosened out and hardly thought of my back after that. Warm up, intervals of 8 mins, 7, 6, 5, 4 with recoveries and a cool down. Covered 6.5kms in 45 mins. Bit more stretching done when I got home.

Tues: walk that eve, slow enough

Weds: Fitness class that morn, was a bit nervous with my back but no issues. Training that eve - speed session of 8 x 2 mins and 6 x 1 mins. Tried to give it a good go at this session, get good consistent fast paces.

Thurs: Early morning short walk and a bit of stretching that evening.

Fri: Debated whether or not to do my early morning fitness class but I figured sure I'd try not to go too mad with it, and maybe a few squats might fire up the legs a bit!

Last event in the 5km race series. Arrived a bit later than I had planned to the race HQ, but had just enough time to get a mile warm up done, with a few dynamics - high knees, kick backs, surges - made sure no one was looking cos I'm not sure if I'm even doing them right!

5km 25:41- PB!! Splits: 5:00, 5:17, 5:13, 5:07, 5:00

Well I wasn't expecting that!! Ariana's word were in my head : "At the end of the day I think 5ks are supposed to feel tough, that's the nature (and joy for some people 😂) of them, they hurt like hell but are over quickly 😆 " Decided féck it, last 5km of the race series, beat the last 2 weeks. First km started too fast, but I felt I couldn't really back off too much. 2nd km of this route seems to be my slowest each week so I pushed on here, not wanting to be losing precious seconds. I was trying to keep up with another girl and it kept me pushing it for the 3rd km. I had my watch set for displaying average pace and knew this was quicker than previous weeks and not far off my pb. Not long after 3km I passed her as we climbed over a bridge. Up ahead I seen another girl, this lady I knew and that she was a good runner so I vowed to kept tabs on her. But I caught up with her at 4km marker, couldn't believe I was passing her! But she got me again with 500m to go and I tried my best not to let her get too far ahead of me. Coming in near the finish and I could see the clock showing the low 25:xx - couldn't believe it, thought it would be nearer to 26:xx. Pushed as hard as I could just to see a 25min on the finish line. Official net chip time 25:40. I really was so shocked - I thought I was in around my pb time but I didn't think I was half a minute quicker and almost a minute quicker than the previous week. Thanks so much to the two women whom I paced off - they hadn't realised until after the race what an influence they were.

Sat: well deserved rest day. Volunteered at parkrun handing out the finish tokens.

Sun: 10 miles ran in 2 sets 10km plus 6km. A girl I knew wasn't long retuned to running after injury and was doing a virtual 10km and looking for some company as she could only do very early morning and didn't really want to be out on her own so early. Was a bit nervous about doing this - what if I started too fast and messed up her run, what if I pushed her too hard and she got injured again. In the end I ran by her lead, and tried to chat as much as I could. The last km I gradually upped the pace a little bit by bit. In the end it was a really enjoyable run and it felt strange and good to be in a position now to be able to help and support someone else on their run. 10km ran in 1:07. After the run I felt pretty good so decided I was go 2kms out and back myself to bring it up to 14km, just to get a little longer of a run. But at 2km I figured if I ran on another km and then turned that I'd bring it up to 10 miles altogether. So 6kms to add on and done in 41 mins. So 10 miles in about 1 hr 50 - felt lovely and easy but not long ago this wasn't far off my race pace...

Now that made me smile today! Congratulations on the shiny new 5k pb 👋 You have come on in leaps and bounds recently and it's fantastic to follow along. Working hard and reaping the benefits 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on your PB, great to see hard work paying off😊

You have absolutely found your groove with the 5ks! Savage stuff. Also a reminder that practice with that distance goes a long way. Your running is really strong at the moment and seems like you're really enjoying it too, makes for great reading!

2 - 8 May

Mon: Bank hol Mon. Met a few girls for an easy 5km that morning. Nice chatty run done in 33mins. After that I nipped over to my fitness club for an in-house circuit class - I normally do their fitness classes online so nice to do one in person for a change. The afternoon was spent in Lough Boora for a walk with the youngster. We did the forest trail covering about 6.5kms in an hour and half wander, lovely and peaceful.

Tues: rest day

Weds: Morning fitness class online. Evening running speed session. Warm up, 5 x 2mins, 5 x 1 mins, 5 x 30 sec, cool down. A good session, I enjoyed that. Covered 6.3km in 45mins including recoveries.

Thurs: bit of yoga stretching

Fri: online fitness class.

Sat: Did Darkness into Light walk, foggy morning but a nice walk. Went for a 6km easy-ish run in 41mins after dropping the young lad to work and then onto parkrun to volunteer.

Sun: 5km race 26:34 official time. Splits: 5:16, 5:15, 5:23, 5:29, 5:10

It's great to have these opportunities to race again after the restrictions the last couple of years. But I feel after this one I'm possibly over doing it a bit. But not being near Dublin and when a race is on near enough I don't want to be passing up opportunities. Very warm morning out. Got just over a mile warm up done, probably a bit quicker than I should have as I was a little behind time myself and then trying to get parking - mental note to be earlier for any races in future. 1st km felt ok, first 300m trying to get around people. 2nd km I got into stride with 3 ladies from another club during the first km so tried staying a-pace with them but by the end of this km they were split up. At this stage the route had veered off onto a bog road which was narrow, you had to watch your footing and plan any overtakes as there was room for one person either side of the road with grass down the middle. I did get slowed down a little in a few spots. At 2.5km we got off the bog road and onto the canal which was nice and open. Sun beating down, I really wish I had brought water. 4th km felt really tough, at 3.5km we had looped back around to an earlier part of the route so I knew the way back from there. Little water station there which I was very grateful for. Followed by a climb I don't remember being so hard in my warm up, it felt like it went on forever so I took this time when I was slower to get my water in. Last km I tried to push on but I felt like I hadn't it in me - I was being overtaken a bit on this last km by ones I had passed earlier, felt like it took forever to get to the finish line. Was glad to be finished. Even though it was still a very good time for me, I just didn't feel that elation after. I wasn't properly hydrated beforehand and I think my body was tired after racing a 5km a week for 4 weeks. Didn't feel well Sunday afternoon into Monday - think it was dehydration. Will take a break from racing for a bit, next goal is a sub 60min Women's Mini Marathon on the June bank holiday.

9 - 15 May

Mon: no workout or track running. Was up sick during the night and back quite sore.

Tues: sickness abated, trying to get back eating again. Out for short walks in the morning and afternoon and a bit of gentle stretching that evening, back improving.

Weds: chanced a short easy run that morning. 4km in 27 mins. Once I got going I felt fine - relief. Walk in the afternoon and plenty of yoga stretching that evening.

Thurs: Back a little stiff so a walk that morning. Out for another run that evening. 6kms in 43 mins, dragged the husband along and enjoyed it.

Fri: a rare free afternoon. Nice weather so went for an easy run on the greenway. 8km in 51 mins. It's mad that before this used to be a 5 mile race time for me. Melted in leggings though - what was I thinking!

Sat: Hubbie was RD at parkrun and stuck for volunteers so I was ever the dutiful wife! Went for a run after dropping junior to work early and got another 8km done before donning the hi-viz vest. Same time again as the previous day 51 mins.

Sun: Long run 10km in 1hr 1 min. Couldn't believe this time! Met a friend for the long run, sun was out and it was warm enough. Bar glancing at the watch the odd time to get our 5km turning point I wasn't looking at the watch at all, we just ran along chatting. Bodes well (I think, I hope) for a sub 60 mins at the Mini Marathon the June bank holiday. I'm a little nervous about this - not sure what time to aim for other than sub-60 mins.

In other news I've registered for a few longer races over the summer - Roscommon 10 mile, Kilbeggan 10 mile and Tullamore half. Raging to be missing Clonown (Athlone) 10 miler in June. Little nervous about increasing the distances but sure we'll see how it goes. I'd been offered a DCM spot for this year - not gonna lie I've been tempted with it. But for my first official marathon I'd rather do it in my own name, it might be the only one I ever do. Also himself is supposed to be running it and I'm not sure I could concentrate if I knew he was doing it too, I want to be selfish and think about my own race, not him aswell!

Exciting have those races lined up. They will have you in a great position to take on an official marathon next year, much better timing for you than this year I think. Think of this year as building a really strong base and getting lots of race experience and enjoyment at the same time.

I'd say you're well set for sub 60 at the WMM! Hopefully will be nice running weather for it. I'm volunteering that weekend but no clue yet what I'll be doing or what day

• Advertisement

Two weeks of an update - few things going on in the background which affected my being able to get out for runs.

16 - 22 May

Mon: online workout that morn. Track running that evening - 2 x 10 mins and 2 x 8 mins. I think the 8 min sets felt longer than the 10 mins! 7km covered in total in 47 mins including warm up, cool down and recoveries inbetween.

Tues: a short walk that morning and a bit of yoga stretching in the evening.

Weds: online workout that morn

Thurs: 5km walk that morn. 8km easy run that eve in 56mins (had a free hour as the youngster was doing his first driving lesson!). A lovely, clear the head, type of run.

Fri: just a short walk around the block before bed.

Sat: 9km run in 57 mins. First half of it felt a bit slow and sluggish but the second half felt I'd more energy and the body loosened right up. Had planned 8 but pushed on for another km. Online workout done after as I'd missed Friday's one.

Sun: went out for an easy 20 min or so run and ended up getting 2 miles done and felt enjoyable. 15 mins stretching after.

23 - 29 May

Mon: a 3km walk that evening, I don't even remember it!

Tues: online workout

Weds: online workout

Thurs: nothing

Fri: 5km walk and then a good half hour of yoga stretching after, outside in the sun

Sat: I had volunteered to help at parkrun so I went out for an early 5 miles. Like the previous weekend it was slow getting started but after a few kms I had settled into it. 8km done in 53 and a half mins. Got back to the house to freshen up and change for parkrun to find a message from one of the core team who couldn't find a child minder and wanted to know if we needed any help - we actually had a full roster but you can't very well turn away help as it might not be as forecoming again - so I asked if she'd cover my marshal spot for me and I could run instead. So an unscheduled last minute 5kms done in 28:41 - which I was delighted with, my second fastest parkrun on our local course, missing my pb by 4 seconds! Went for a long scenic 10 km walk that afternoon, canal walk from car park to coffee hut and return.

Sun: my last 10km before the mini marathon! Ended up being a solo run as the rest of the gang were meeting a little later but I needed an early run. Like my runs the last week or two I seemed to be slow enough for the first half but flying it for the second half - I wonder is it because I've been running out and back routes? 10.1kms done in 1hr 5 mins.

Nervous excitement about the mini marathon this weekend. I'm confident I can get my first official sub 60 min 10km which is a good feeling. But I am hoping to go out and run my best to see where I am really with a 10km time, I just don't know what that could be!!

30 May - 5 June

Mon: early morning online workout. Track running that evening. 5 x 3 mins and 3 x 1 mins. 90 and 60 sec recoveries respectively. Warm up and cool down. Covered 5.5kms in 37 mins.

Tues: rest day

Weds: 3.5km walk that morning. Track session that evening. 2 x 8 mins with 3 mins recovery. Tried to keep the pace around what I was hoping my 10km race pace would be. 2 x 400m to fire up the legs and then easy jog to cool down. 5kms covered in 35 mins.

Thurs: 4km walk

Fri: online morning workout. Tried not to go too hard at it with the upcoming race but I could feel it in my core the next afternoon.

Sat: Was run director at parkrun that morning. Afterwards I took to the cycleway where it's relatively flat to do an easy 5km to shake out the legs. 33 mins and that was trying to keep it slow but it felt good. Sorted out my race gear, food, transport, timings etc for the next day.

I hope we're getting a race report 😁

Sun 5 June 2022 - Women's Mini Marathon (10km) official time 53:21 (pb)

Splits: 5:25, 5:25, 5:27, 5:22, 5:27, 5:18, 5:14, 5:23, 5:25, 5:19

Was nervously excited about this race. It's such a great event - I love how women of all ages, abilities and walks of life take part. I appreciate that so many charities benefit from the event and that so many women get enjoyment out of the day.

Parked up early in Heuston and weren't waiting long for the Luas into the city centre. Walked from O'Connell St to St Stephen's Green - a nice stretch of the legs. Munched on a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. At the top of Grafton Street myself and himself departed - he was given a backpack with a hoody etc and I popped on a bin bag - wasn't a good look but I'll tell ya it kept me warm and dry! Himself headed to a pub to watch a match. Bumped into some women I knew from home and we walked to the starting area, queued for loos and then into our starting pens. One of the girls from the athletics club was there and it was great to have the company and chats while we were waiting. First time for me to be in the runners section and to see the start line so close! Eeeek!!

First km started off ok - I was mindful of getting pulled along with a crowd too fast but no I started off at I think an ok pace. Not much congestion or dodging around slower movers. 2nd km felt I had settled into a pace - it was a little faster that my planned pace but it felt ok. That was what much of the race was like - pace faster than planned but feeling ok!! 3rd km felt a little tougher. A little drag as you come out of Donnybrook and past the bus depot. Starting to feel a little warm out. 4th km onto the Stillorgan road and soon we are starting to see the front runners passing on the other side of the road. Passed my Alma Mater of UCD!

5th km a little slower coming up under the UCD flyover and a little climb up to Fosters Avenue. During this km I feel into step with two women and chatted for a min. Watched beeped for 5km in 27 mins - ok that was quite good, hopefully not too fast, hoping I can get through the next 5km ok. 6th km heading back up the Stillorgan Road and spotted a lady from my athletics club so big cheer and wave across the divide! Paced with the two women still from 5km but they dropped behind me at the end of 6 km at the turn for Nutley Lane. 7th km somehow ended up being my quickest km - I don't know why. I guess I knew that when you get to the end of that road past Vincents Hospital that after the next junction you were faced for home really. 8th km was when it was starting to feel tough. I remembered I had fruit pastilles in my pocket so had one of them. I was well passed the 8km marker when my watched beeped at me for the km and even shortly after that was two lads holding a big balloon with 8.5km on it. I panicked a little wondering was the course going to measure up really short or had something gone wrong with my watch. Nothing I could do at that stage - just keep going. 9th km was getting tough mentally - I was glad of the music blaring and the crowds cheering in Ballsbridge. Watched beeped for the 9th km in the right place and ok this was it one km to go.

I don't think I picked up the pace massively or that I was able to. One last sharp climb over the canal to Baggot St and this was when I could really feel my mental and physical strength as I powered up over that bridge. After that I could see the finish but I didn't have much push on left in the legs. Really couldn't believe that I crossed the line on 53:xx!

Stood around the finish for a couple of minutes chatting to girls from the Athletics Club. Dandered on then to get medal, tshirt (which was really nice) and got the medal engraved. Bag of salty chips from Supermacs after hit the spot!

I still can't believe I got that time! Had thought I'd finish around 56-57 mins - was secretly hoping for 55:xx. I just ran at what I felt was a good but manageable pace for me. I really enjoyed that run!! 😁 This was my first official 10km under the hour. The last mini marathon I did was in 2017 and just under 63mins.

Class, well done! That was a brilliant and much deserved PB. It sounds like you ran the perfect race, you even ran a negative split! 10ks are not easy to pace (at least I have yet to manage to pace one well) but it sounds like you totally nailed it 👏

Aaaaah that is SUPER running and a great time!!! So delighted for you, and so well deserved. You've put in the work this last while and it's paying off so much. You even had a chat in the middle of it?! More there I reckon 😉 I was marshalling at the 1km mark... it was nicer weather for running than standing around anyway 😂

I'll try and do an update of the last month

6 - 12 June

Mon: a bit of yoga stretching and a walk

Tues: Met with a friend for a run and catch up. 5.2km in 31 mins - I was supposed to be taking it easy but we were chatting and not passing any heed on the watches! A year ago it would have taken a huge effort to run that!

Weds: morning workout. Evening running session with tempo intervals. Kept the intervals relaxed enough. 6.45km 45mins

Thurs: walk and stretch

Fri: workout

Sat: parkrun. 5km in 27:53 - a new pb for me on this course. I didn't even set out to run fast, I just wanted to get around steady. But the legs felt good so I went with it!

Sun: Long run 13.8km 1hr 27 mins. A speedy enough long run after a 10km pb the previous weekend and plenty of running in between. Met with a friend for a good catch up. Tried to take it easy enough but were just running along chatting and not looking at the watches. Last km or 2 the legs were definitely tired and heavy.

13 - 19 June

Mon: Tired legs, slow walk

Tues: nothing, complete rest

Weds: morning workout. Evening track session. Temp intervals grand and then a spicey set of 400ms to finish. Wanted to round up to 5 miles as I missed a few miles on Monday so an easy steady 2km after. 8km 57mins incl rests

Thurs: walk to stretch out the legs

Fri: morning workout. Day off work so went out for my long run after as I would be away for the weekend. 10 miles in 1hr 45. That was so tough after my workout but it was the only time I had to get it done Also conscious that I'd a 10 mile race at the beginning of July and felt I needed one 10 mile training run in the bag before it. Was a bit showery on and off. There was something nice though about being out for my run while everyone else was going to work and school and the town was starting to get busy.

Sat & Sun: away

20 - 26 June

Mon: 5km 35 mins - got out for an easy run before heading home. Nice to have a change of scenery.

Tues: walk

Weds: morning workout. Track run was a pyramid session. 5km in 35mins

Thurs: walk

Fri: morning workout. That evening there was a local 5km race. Didn't planning on flat out racing it but wanted a decent time. 5km 26:39. I should be happy enough with the run. But I was hoping to be closer to 26 mins even. The legs felt tired after workout that morning and 2km warm up. Also it was warmer than I had been expecting as it was raining all day but cleared up rightly for the race. Still a good time, I put in a good effort. A very fast field of runners, I thought I placed myself rightly in the start but had quite a few pass me by in the first 500m which was a bit tough mentally, I was afraid to look around incase there wasn't anyone left behind me!

Sat: an unplanned parkrun! Thought I would miss it as I had to bring the young fella to work but he wasn't in til the afternoon and they had a full roster of volunteers so I took the opportunity to run. 5km in 29:41. Made sure to take it handy enough after racing the previous night. Not easy, was tempted to chase after a few people but had to tell myself to go easy and let them go! Little push on at the end to get under the 30 mins.

Sun: Long run day. I had signed up to Roscommon 10 mile for early July but found out during the week that I would have a family thing on so I'd have to give the race a miss. Not to worry - I'll look forward to next year's one. Next race is Kilbeggan 10 mile and with July being a busy month for me I didn't want to ease off the gas too much. Was away Sat night and Sun for a family thing so I got up early Sun morn for a run in a different location. Plotted out a 10km route to try and avoid the hills and run near the water. 10km in 1hr 10mins. Quiet route, bit overcast and showery. Lovely stretch of the legs.

27 June - 3 July

Mon: track session speed session 5km 34 mins including rests

Tues: walk

Weds: a good track session with 800s bookended by 5 mins tempos.

Thurs: walk

Fri: morning workout

Sat: away

Sun: Busy weekend so managed to squeeze a short slow run in the warm afternoon. 6.7km in 47mins

04 - 10 July

Mon: track session: warm up, 3 x 5 mins of hills with a 2 min recovery, a set of 90sec faster runs with a minute off. 6km covered in a 45min session.

Tues: short 2km walk before Love Island!

Weds: morning workout. running session that evening: a pyramid session which is tough but interesting, requires a bit of work to manage your pacing. 5km covered in the session in 35mins including recoveries.

Thurs: met with a friend for an early morning run. 5km in 30 mins, tried to keep it easy enough but I think we were both a bit mindful of the time and having to get to work so will go out earlier next time.

Fri: morning workout. 5km walk in the early evening.

Sat: run director at parkrun so no run for me. A 5km walk that afternoon.

Sun: 16.12km 1hr 59. Had planned on running 7 miles but was feeling ok so when we got to the end of the 7 mile loop I stuck with the gang instead of heading back to the car. Nice enjoyable easy run with lots of chatting. It was very humid and heavy out, thankfully not sunny yet, but still around 9km we took a bit of a walking break to regroup. Nice to get 10 miles in the legs.

• Advertisement

11 - 17 July

Mon: track session: warm up, tempo session of 2 x 10 mins with a 2 min recovery, then a speedy set of 90sec faster runs with a minute off. About 5km covered in a 35min session.

Tues: nice early morning 5km walk.

Weds: morning workout. running session that evening: another pyramid session. found it tough enough as it was done twice. Hard to "climb" the pyramid the second time. 5.7km covered in the session in 35mins including recoveries.

Thurs: 2 x 4km walks, one before work and one in the evening waiting to collect kiddo.

Fri: morning workout. 6km walk after as I had a day off work and had some free time before getting ready to head away.

Sat: short walk that afternoon waiting to collect kiddo.

Sun: 16.12km 1hr 51. Out nice and early for this 10 miler. Finished up at the right time before it got too warm. Couple of new faces on the run with people starting their marathon training long runs.

Advertisement