Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

18 - 24 July

Mon: 5km walk in the morning.

Tues: another early morning 5km walk.

Weds: morning workout. Running session that evening: a lovely session of 5 x 2mins plus a speedy bit at the end with a few 90secs, hard to get the push for these at the end, practically clung to another runner to get around! 5.5km covered in 35mins including recoveries.

Thurs: nado.

Fri: Away for a few days so got out for a run before breakfast to the nearby park. A little unsure about running in a park I didn't know on my own in the early morning but there were a few others in walking and running. 5.75km 37mins.

Sat: nothing

Sun: zero

A planned off week for me between the weather, trying to get work done and some annual leave to go away. Nice to take a step back now and again. My first official 10 mile race is in less than 2 weeks.

25 - 31 July

Mon: nothing

Tues: 5km run with a friend. Was pretty tired all day but still got around in just over half an hour while chatting. Hubbie was going out for his run later that evening, I knew he'd be a very easy pace for me so I decided to join him. Not a great idea as I wasn't long after the dinner. 6km in 45 mins not feeling the most comfortable. Total 11km 1hr 15mins

Weds: missed track as I was on the bog

Thurs: the last of the turf home, as good as any workout!

Fri: not an ounce of energy for my workout so went for a short morning walk.

Sat: 5km 29:11mins. Drizzly day. Was run director at parkrun that morning so a friend arranged to meet me that afternoon for a bit of a run. It really should have been a lot slower with the long run in the morning.

Sun: Long run 10 miles 1hr 50 mins. In my mind this should set me up for the 10 mile the following week. Not a bad run, but a few things from the run I've learned: 1. Bring fuel with me. 2. don't go for a fast-ish run the day before. I suppose that's the point of training runs - to learn from them so you don't make the same mistakes in the race.

10 mile race this coming weekend. Bit nervous if I'm honest. I've run quite a few 10 milers now at this stage, I know I can cover the distance comfortably. But I've never raced one before so I am nervous about pacing it. I have a target time in mind (1:30) but I think it's too ambitious, I'm still very tired and my legs don't feel like they are ready for go. Any time is a pb I suppose so once I can duck under 1:40 I'll be happy, maybe closer to 1:35. We shall see....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Good luck with the 10 mile race.

01 - 07 Aug

Tues: 2 mile morning walk.

Weds: Morning workout - first one I think in 2 weeks. On a roll and made it to track training that evening. Tough session 5 mins temp, then 5 x 4 mins tempo all with 2 mins recovery. Warm up and cool down covering 6.25km in 45mins. Legs felt pretty heavy and tired.

Thurs: 2km lunchtime walk

Fri: Went to do the workout I'd missed that morning but after 15 mins didn't feel great. Went for a 3km walk instead.

Sat: 3.2km 22:20. Stretch out of the legs ahead of the 10 miler the next day. Pace was fairly easy although the legs still felt heavy. I wished I had that "raring to go" feeling!

Sun: Kilbeggan 10 mile race 1:36:21 gun time (time per watch 1:36:10)

My first real 10 mile race, a distance I've run quite a bit in recent years but never really thought to race it. It's a grand stop-gap between a 10km and a half marathon distances. Got there early enough, stood around chatting a bit and visited the loo about 5 times. So many people there that I knew and loads from the club. My first time in the club singlet (borrowed) - felt like a real runner!

1 - 5km. Getting up quite warm by 11am - usually by this time on a Sunday I've finished my long run, home and showered. Stayed with a few of the running girls for the first 2km. I'm a divil for starting off too fast so this kept me in check and enjoyed the chats. After 2km my average pace was behind what I was aiming for so I pushed on a bit, one of the girls came with. We had a nice run over the next few kms and by the time we got to the 5km mark we had brought the av pace up to 6min/km, I have to say she was a great help me. The first 5km were quite open - while the breeze we got now and again was lovely, there was no shade from the sun.

5-10km. Turn off the main road and now onto country roads. Only a small bit of shade here and there as the sun was so high. The route was a bit undulating, just enough to start to tire the legs a little by the 10km mark. I was very glad of the company in this section. While we weren't chatting as much, it was nice to have some companionship. We passed by a few on this section, a nice little boost. Hit the 10km marker on the hour. Coming up to the water station my friend said she was going to pause at the water station and for me to go on, she gave me a bit of a pep talk and sent me on my way.

10km - finish. Felt a little strange for the first half a km then, trying to find my pace on my own. Then I started to pay a bit more attention to others around me. And began the challenge of gaining on and picking off other runners gradually. Kept an eye on the watch to ensure I was keeping the 6min/km pace average. Trying to stay hydrated with sips of water with a hydration tablet in it - but my bladder felt quite weak and honestly didn't know if my shorts were damp from sweat or wee! Thankfully much of this part wasn't too hilly although the legs were wrecked at that stage so any climb at all was felt! Then came the big one just after the 9 mile marker. I knew once I was over this I was on for the finish. A small bit of a walk on it - I had hoped I'd have been able to run up the whole thing - but everyone else around was walking too. Ok, a km to go, get it done! Lovely support from locals here on in, couldn't pick up the pace as much as I'd have liked for the last km, 500m but I had a respectable 200m finish at least. Pretty happy with my time. Pace calculators had given me closer to 1:30 based on my 5km and 10km times - but I've put on a bit of weight and not been as focussed on my training as much for this one. So 1:36 is still a pretty good time that I'm happy with. Great spread of food and drinks laid on after with plenty staying around to chat with the weather being so good and everyone quite spent!

Well done. Very warm at the moment for races starting at 11am. You did well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks, enjoyed that read, would have loved to have been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great read! Well done 😊

25 - 31 July

Mon: body tired after 10 mile race the previous day. Gave the track training a miss that evening. Went for a walk that morning to stretch out the legs and did a workout in the evening out in the sun, weights based rather than cardio and felt like it gave my muscles a good stretch out.

Tues: 3.25km run in 23 mins. First run since the race, legs felt like Bambi for the first 500m. Slowly got into it, nice little stretch out although the legs still felt quite tired.

Weds: Morning workout followed by a 3km walk after. Glad I didn't go to to track training in the evening, the heat would have been brutal.

Thurs: 5km walk that morning. 8km run in the evening in an hour. Waited until nearly 9pm for this run, lovely temps at that time. But the legs still felt quite tired. Fun trying to get to sleep after!

Fri: Morning workout followed by a 3km walk after.

Sat: parkrun! 5km in 33:14. Feels like the first parkrun I've run in ages. With a long run the next day I probably shouldn't have been running but they had plenty of volunteers. Vowed i'd take it very easy and happy I stuck to that. Serious heat out.

Sun: Long run 20km in 2hr 17mins. A 7am start for this run, perfect running conditions at that hour. Got 8km done before looping back to the car park to meet those running at 8am. Kept the kms good and slow. I still found that the legs were tired enough. Was getting warm out by about 8:30am and in a muck of sweat by the time we finished. Few stretches after while we chatted, and done and dusted by 9:30am! Looking forward to a shorter long run next week to taper for the half marathon the following week.

15-21 August

Mon: up early for my morning workout. Enjoying the format with the weight focus. Track running that evening, felt like ages since I'd been at training. A good session of 15 mins running, 2 laps on/1 lap off. Then 3 x 3mins with 2mins rec. Legs felt tired at that stage. Covered 5.25kms in 35 mins including recoveries. When I got home husband was out for his long run and before I hopped into the shower I went out and did the last mile with him.

Tues: rest day. 5km walk

Weds: morning workout. Evening training, bit of a different session. We did a fartlek session where we ran a different route and were instructed to faster up hills and easy/recovery on downhills. Mixes it up a bit and a nice little bit of hillwork. I used to hate hills and couldn't deal with them but hill training over the years I've seen an improvement with them mentally and physically. Covered 4.35kms in 28 mins. Did a little cool down jog after to round up to 5kms.

Thurs: rest day 4km walk.

Fri: morning workout. Glad to get all 3 done this week.

Sat: Nothing. Was away on a shopping expedition.

Sun: Short long run. The marathon runners had planned 2 loops 12km+10km so I joined them for the first loop of 12km. 1hr 22mins. I did find this tough enough, the legs and body felt tired. It has me nervous for the half this coming weekend. It's my last goal race of the year. I'm confident I'll beat my pb of 2hr20 but I would like to do well enough in it all the same, fingers crossed. Based on my 10 mile race the other weekend, it points to 2hr 9mins half so I might side up with the 2-10 pacers and see how it goes. Eeekk!! 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on your 10m, you're making great progress lately. Don't over think the half, just keep it steady and relaxed, you will do great! Will you taper back on your gym classes this week?

• Advertisement

I wasn't planning to taper back the gym this week, my last class of the week is early Fri morn. Now I'm wondering should I switch it to Thurs morn?

I would move it or skip it but maybe that is just me being lazy 😂 Give your legs a chance to feel a bit fresher!

Might move it to the Thurs morn so. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

If it’s a target race I’d do Wednesday’s workout and leave it after that and really give your legs a chance. Plenty time to do the workouts after the race.

22-28 August

Mon: Morning workout. Enjoying the format with the weight focus. Out for a little walk at lunchtime. Track running that evening, interesting session where the focus was on identifying and running different paces based on effort and control. Cool down jog to bring it to 5km in the half hour.

Tues: rest day. 5km walk.

Weds: morning workout. Evening training, tried to keep the pace control enough, not going too fast. 2 x 8 mins with 2 mins recover. Then 3 x 1 mins with 1.5min recovery. I did allow myself one push on the last rep! Warm up and cool down brought me to 5.4km in 38 mins.

Thurs: rest day 4km walk.

Fri: From the advise here and from my fitness instructor, I didn't do the morning workout. Went out for an early morning walk instead to stretch out the legs.

Sat: Race: Tullamore half marathon 2:08:12

Will do race report in the next post.

Sun: nada! Body not too bad, quads a tad sore going down stairs, hips a little stiff if I sit down for a while. 

Tullamore half marathon - 2:08:12 - PB

Splits: 6:09, 6:08, 5:58, 6:10, 6:06, 5:59, 6:07, 6:04, 5:56, 6:21, 6:13, 5:54, 5:56, 6:03, 6:09, 6:12, 6:12, 6:09, 6:09, 5:54, 5:39, 4:49 (0.1)

Felt quite nervous about this race, the final race signed up for the year. Also my longest and while I've a few 10 mile runs under my belt this year, I hadn't really done much past that distance so I didn't feel the best prepared. Had plenty of time that morning to get ready. Met with a few from the running club, short jog around and queue for the toilet. Weren't waiting too long at the start, the sun came out and I slotted in behind the 2:10 pacers.

Stayed with the 2:10 pacers for the first 2/ 2.5km. There was a bit of a crowd around them and I had to watch my footing a bit. I also found I had to keep pulling my pace back a bit. I think after 2km I'd pulled ahead of them and felt a bit better with less of a crowd around me and a bit more breathing room. Before 3km I fell into step with a few people and chatted a bit and in step with one guy in particular and we chatted and ran together until the 5 mile marker. I wasn't really watching the clock. After 5 mile we caught up with someone he knew and he stayed with them and I pushed on a little. I knew around the half way point was tough enough. And it was, felt like such a climb to the water station and I slowed up here to refill my bottle. There was some heat out at this stage.

After the half way mark my next milestone was to make it to 10 miles, but each km seemed to go by slowly! Kinda enjoyed passing people on the route. This was my 3rd time to run this half and somehow the route felt hillier than before, especially on kms 15 - 18. From about the 14th km I fell into step with a woman, sometimes in front, sometimes behind. We didn't speak much on the course but I found her pace to be good and stuck with her until about the start of 19km. The last 2 kms of the route are the first 2kms out and a nice enough finish. But I just found I couldn't really get the push I wanted. Kept telling myself not to slow down, try and push on. Even as I turned into the athletics ground and the final lap of the track to finish it didn't feel like the energy or strength was there. Now when I look back on my splits I had a good finish.

A PB of 12 minutes compared with my last and best half marathon in 2019. I'm pleased with it, I was confident I'd get a pb, plan was to finish ahead of 2:10 pacers which I did. But I dunno, I'm not ecstatic, maybe I thought I'd do better but maybe this is a realistic (and good) time for me.

No more races signed up. A busy couple of months ahead with life and work. The plan is to stick with the 2 track sessions, 3 morning workouts, parkrun when I can and few miles on the Sundays with the marathon runners for company and support.

but maybe this is a realistic (and good) time for me

I think it's a good time for you right now but I also think it's very likely you can and will improve on it. You've had a busy Summer with lots of races and it's hard racing at this time of year in the warm/humid weather. You hit your target by a long way and it was a big PB, enjoy and celebrate that for what it is. Too often we move on too quickly I think, we can all be very hard on ourselves, I know I've had PBs over the years that I haven't celebrated and I regret that now at a time when PBs are not really in my sights at all so well done you!!

Well done. Your splits show you finishing the race quite strongly. Definitely be proud of your PB.

29 Aug - 04 Sept

Mon: morning workout. Evening - 5km on the track just over 30 mins, legs still work after the half marathon!

Tues: morning and afternoon walks

Weds: morning workout. Evening shorter session but plenty of drills beforehand. 4km in 27 mins.

Thurs: afternoon and evening walk

Fri: morning workout and evening walk.

Sat: a new parkrun for me. Out and back along a canal. 4.88km in 25:58, measured a bit short as the turning point as in the wrong place, sure what harm! Hadn't planned on going that fast but as it was a smaller field I think for the first time ever I was in the top 10 in parkrun so I kinds wanted that. Also it was raining so I wanted to be done. I'll be back to do that route again, please with that time 1 week after a half marathon.

Sun: Lovely relaxed 10km in 1hr 10mins. Lovely group of women to run with, very experienced runners but have all had health, fitness and injury struggles over the last year or so on and off. So it was strange for me to be the most springy out of them all and to support and encourage them for a change. But they have each been a fantastic support to me over the years, it was the least I could do and I was just happy that I feel like a strong enough runner to now be able to support others.

05 - 11 Sept

A busy week where I was travelling abroad for an event later in the week. Mon morn did my workout. Was working late so didn't get to track running. Tues morn got out early for a 5km run. Weds morn a short early walk and into work early. Got a running session in on the track to burn off the excited energy! 2 x 8 mins followed by some 60 sec intervals - session suited me perfectly! Away the rest of the week.

12 - 18 Sept

Back from my trip in the first half of the week, busy few days in work and then off for a wedding. No running or workouts until Sunday. 10km in an hour with a running buddy, started a bit too fast for the first half but we were chatting, second half was a bit of a struggle back to the car.

19 - 25 Sept

Week started off well on Monday - morning workout and evening track session, lovely session of 3 x 8 mins. But the rest of the week was a write off. I was up to my eyes in work, had a lot on my plate and was physically and mentally exhausted. Healthy eating which I knew would help was thrown by the wayside replaced with comfort eating. Because I have no events signed up I figured I don't need to run if I don't want to. Volunteered at my local parkrun on Sat morn and did a workout that afternoon. Didn't go for a run Sun morn, instead I watched the Berlin marathon until the live stream was cut a few kms before the finish! Did a local charity walk Sun afternoon and it was a great boost. Head feels a lot clearer now.

26 Sept - 02 Oct

Not a particularly active week running wise. Was up the walls in work with a last minute urgent job. Milestone birthday for the child mid week and then a family wedding that weekend.

Mon morning workout and track session then that evening. Warm up followed by a spicy pyramid session - increments of 2 mins from 2 up to 8 and back down to 2 again and then a cool down. Total covered 8kms in 50 mins including rest periods, a decent training session.

Tues walk that evening to clear the head.

Weds - morning workout.

After that nothing - busy with birthday, finishing work, packing, wedding prep, travel, celebrating! However after the "day two" wedding drinks I had a quick nose on facebook and seen that Tarmonbarry were closing their entries so I bit the bullet and like an eejit - registered for the half marathon for the following weekend!

• Advertisement

03 - 09 Oct

Mon: nothing as I was travelling.

Tues: it had been over a week since I last ran. Went out for a slow run 5.4km in 40mins. Legs felt a little stiff and rusty but good to get moving at least.

Weds: back to track training. A nice tempo session of 6 x 3 mins with 2mins recovery. I wasn't on time for a warm up jog so did a couple of laps cool down to bring it over 5kms. 5.25km in 34:30 mins including recovery and cool down.

Thurs: an early morning 5km walk and then another bit of walking 3km while kiddo was at the dentist.

Fri: morning workout.

Sat: now a sensible person would rest the day before a half marathon, especially one they only signed up for at the beginning of the week and hadn't really done any training for. But no, not me! I'd heard that Sonia O'Sullivan was making an appearance at Tullamore parkrun and as it's not too far away from me I tipped over that far. Got there good and early and did a short jog out and back to keep warm.

Parkrun 5km 29:14. Splits: 5:40, 5:41, 5:53, 5:43, 6:08. Yeah take it nice and easy she said!! A lovely flat route bar a little climb at the canal lock. Hard to pull the pace back when there was such a good atmosphere and lovely morning for running. At the start of my last km I caught up with some people I knew so the chatting slowed me down on the last km.

Sun: Tarmonbarry half marathon. 2:14:17

Post edited by Sunny Dayz on

Tarmonbarry half marathon: 2:14:17

Splits: 6:11, 6:12, 6:15, 6:15, 6:25, 6:33, 6:21, 6:23, 6:22, 5:56, 6:37, 6:18, 6:01, 6:07, 6:07, 6:23, 6:21, 6:36, 6:36, 6:39, 6:26, 5:46 (0.21)

Himself was registered for the 3/4 as part of his DCM training, so I decided to go with him for the spin and last minute reg for the half. I'd not done much long running since Tullamore half at the end of Aug bar two 10kms so I knew I was being a bit stupid. But I said to myself I was running it, not racing it, just getting it done and not chasing a time or pb - just doing my long run. Morning was grand weather wise. The 3/4 crowd set off at 9:30 and half wasn't until 10:30. So I spent the time getting myself sorted out, few toilet checks and a mile easy warm up.

Started off near the back of the pack which suited me perfectly and tipped along. Pace felt fine about 6:10 / 6:15 average. Took off my rain jacket after 2km but put it back on again around 7km and had it on the whole run until about 2km to go. The first 2 miles was just the half running and then the 3/4's joined for the rest of the route which was nice that there were plenty on the road but at the same time they were passing me having run an extra 7 miles before.

At about 7km, just after the rain started, so did the hills. And both didn't really let up and when they did a bit it didn't really matter because you were fecked! First big climb from 7-9km. Then a turn and a lovely downhill hence why I had a 5:xx km in the middle of my run! Then after that another climb for another 2 km and it felt never ending. A few more climbs up to 15km. They were deceiving, you think you were nearly up and then there was a another up, and another. For the rest of the race, the climbs weren't as bad, but because my legs felt fecked by 10 miles they felt like mountains rather than molehills. The kms did tick by and while it was a little disheartening to be overtaken by 3/4 runners it was good to see friendly faces from the athletics climb and cheer them on their way.

I'd seen a sign on the course saying 5km and in my head that read 5km to go, I looked at my watch to estimate my finishing time and was disappointed that I seemed way off. Then I copped that the sign was for the 8km race and that I correctly had 3km to go and was bang on for my planned finish time of 2:15. A few half runners who I'd either passed earlier in the race or was running in and around for the race all seemed to push on and I hadn't it in the legs to stay with them. Was passed by a lady I knew and it was a struggle and a push to keep her within reach. Was never so glad to finish a race and it really felt like my hardest half marathon, being number 7.

I was pleased that I'd finished just inside my planned time of 2:15 which I felt was a decent target seeing as I hadn't done the training and it was still my second quickest half. A full change of clothes and tea and bun saw me right after it, legs quite sore. Little wait then for husband to finish, god love him he was like a drowned rat as he'd gotten caught in a really heavy shower that I'd just missed!

10 - 16 Oct

Mon: Jaysus I wasn't able for anything! My quads were so sore, sideways walking down the stairs!

Tues: a morning walk to stretch the poor legs out

Weds: Interesting training session "Fartlek" he called it, to me is was practice controlling your run at different pacing. A good one. Paces were slightly slow on account of the poor tired legs. 7km in 48 mins incl rest intervals and cool down.

Thurs: Nothing

Fri: Still nothing, up to my eyeballs in work.

Sat: Run director at parkrun. Thought I might nip in early a run a bit before setting up but it was lashing. Thankfully it stopped at exactly 9:30am!

Sun: Long run 12km 1hr 20 mins. Grand morning for a run, first one in the long sleeves and bottoms. It took me a good while to get into this run and I was trailing a bit at the back of the pack. I don't think I really got into it until about 8km out. I'd have liked to run longer if I'm honest but mammy taxi duties were required.

Himself is into his marathon taper now, the madness hasn't set in with him as yet. I'm glad now I didn't sign up for DCM this year, I wouldn't have gotten enough training done and this would have really stressed me out.

17 - 23 Oct

Tues: another nothing

Weds: track training in the evening. 5 x 5 mins with 90 seconds recovery. I covered 5.25km in 34mins including recoveries. It was actually a lovely session, the coach is mindful that there are a few doing Dublin. Plenty of faces missing as it wasn't a great evening weather-wise.

Thurs: Nothing

Fri: Still nothing.

Sat: Had volunteered to do either barcode scanning or marshalling at parkrun. But I also wanted to run and was kinda hoping that more people would come forward to volunteer so I could skiive off my duties but it wasn't to be! I ended up getting up early and getting a run done before parkrun. I was conscious that I was running on my own early in the morning (and got rewarded with a lovely sunrise for my efforts) so I ran the main road into town, right up the centre of town and back in on the greenway as it had brightened up by then. Got 9.45km done in an hour which I was happy with.

Sun: The weather cut short my long run. In fairness the people I was meeting had only planned on doing 5km or so. I did 2km beforehand and back to meet the rest. Weather wasn't too bad but we were about 1.5km out and it started getting heavier and heavier. Turned around 2.75km and it just was getting heavier, there was no let up, the only saving grace was that it was neither windy nor cold so it wasn't actually that bad. And when you're wet, you're wet! Got back to the car and ran on just another bit to round the watch to 8km in 56 mins. I wasn't going to run much more in that rain.

Himself is registered for DCM. At this moment in time I don't know if he's doing it or not. I know he wants to do it but he's not been in the best form the last few days with his stomach and appetite isn't great. I think it will be very much a head or heart decision to make. Regardless we are going to Dublin anyway as the hotel is non-refundable!

24 - 30 Oct

Mon: track training, pace session. Different feel paces for different parts of the track. I enjoy these sessions cos it makes me focus more on what 5km, 10km etc pace should FEEL like and not be relying on the watch. Covered 4km in 25 mins including recovery. Shorter session this week as there was a photo call for club members doing the marathon.

Tues: rest

Weds: Didn't go running as I thought the weather mightn't be great. I decided to do a workout instead from home. It was good but I'm just struggling to find the time for them lately with work.

Thurs: rest

Fri: Nothing.

Sat: Got to run at my local parkrun for the first time in ages. Yes it was still as tough as I remembered. Did 1.5km warm up. Rain stopped just in time. Started off run well, just kept it easy-ish and ticking over. After 1.5km I fell into step with a visitor and stayed with them for the rest of the run chatting. While it was a bit slower than I had planned, it felt good to chat with someone, guide them around the course and not have to worry about my time or pace. I've no races coming up, I'm up to my eyes in work so I don't need to worry about paces or anything - just get out when I can, get some air and stretch the legs. Parkrun 32:58

Sun: DCM Day! No running for me but almost a half marathon done in walking around the city to different view points! Himself completed the marathon after being doubtful the week before, it was a tummy bug that was doing the rounds and he was in better form by midweek. Really enjoyed spectating, such a crowd doing it and a great atmosphere. I was wearing my newly acquired club gear and it got a great response from fellow club members taking part. I was around mile 25.5 for the last part and it did look tough going then, not too many smiling faces and many digging deep or walking.

Edit to add: let me know when DCM Novices 2023 thread is set up.....

31 Oct - 06 Nov

Mon - Thurs : not a thing done. No run, walk or exercise class. Literally working, eating and sleeping. No training due to bank holiday and the weather but not sure I'd have been able to make the sessions anyway and had no time or motivation to get out myself.

Fri: got a notion around 9pm to go for a walk and get some fresh air

Sat: was run director at parkrun. Had a bit of free time in the afternoon and it was a nice day so decided to go for a run. After 2km I felt I was struggling already and wondering who on earth I was going to manage 40km more for a marathon! But I brought the pace back, still felt like the longest run ever, got my feet soaked in the park and probably ran faster on the last km to dry out the shoes and to get finished! 6km 42mins

Sun: I had arranged to go for a long run with a few others but was starting to regret it. Was worried I would be struggling for pace with them after the previous day's run plus a last minute decision to go out for drinks Sat night. But it was grand - they had run DCM the previous week so they were taking it handy - plus the chat was an indepth marathon debrief so the kms fly by. Glad to get it done. 10km 1hr 5mins

07 - 13 Nov

Mon - Fri : nothing done bar a couple of very short walks when I had a spare 20 mins. Up the walls and out the door with work deadline.

Sat: Had gotten enough work done during the week to be able to take the weekend off. Volunteered to marshal at parkrun as there was a local 5km on that afternoon. A charity untimed run/walk but you know yourself you like to give it a good run out. Start was delayed over half an hour due to the crowds turning up - a good complaint! 5km 29:03. Splits: 5:15, 5:31, 5:36, 5:48, 6:06. Started off down hill - a great way to run away with your pace! Next 2 kms settled into my pace. After 3.5km there was a good left turn and a climb. Well that was it. Just a climb, and another, and another. Not a fan of hills but I remind myself that what goes up must come down. Nope, we got the respective downhill at the start it seems. I didn't realise it would climb so much, and when I thought it was near finished, there would be another. Not mad hills but just enough on a tired body on a warm November afternoon. A little disappointed that I walked a little, I'd have hoped I would have been a bit stronger mentally. But it was nice to run a completely new to me route and I think I'd go back out there again myself someday to use it as a hill work training run.

Sun: 10km 1:05. Another change of scenery for me. A neighbouring athletics club put up that they were doing a 10km run, not a race and posted up the route and invited non-club members to join so a few of us went over. Even though I know that town, I was still out country roads I'd never been on before. It was hilly in spots so good training. I'd forgotten my water and it was a fairly warm morning - sweating like mad in tshirt and shorts in November. Lovely for a change - I think over the winter I'm going to try do different routes for the Sunday long run, to keep things interesting.

14 - 20 Nov

Mon - Fri: Not a thing done all week, busy week with deadline. Up, work, home, dinner, work, sleep. Was away Weds night/ Thurs on the road - had packed my runners thinking I'd be awake early on Thurs and go for a run but my exhausted body slept on.

Sat: Run at my local parkrun. Even though they were stuck for volunteers I didn't put my hand up, I volunteer nearly more than I run. 5km 32:31. Splits: 6:09, 6:37, 6:36, 6:46, 6:19. Ran with a friend and her daughter. We took it handy for the young one and a bit of coaxing and encouragement along. I still can't get over that this was an easy run for me - a year or two ago this would have been my actual parkrun time. Did a workout when I got home, first one in weeks.

Sun: Feels like we run the same one or two route for long run on Sundays so I'm hoping over the winter months to change it up a bit and try a few different roads. So I mapped a 12km run local to me and a few others in the running group, not where we'd normally meet. One or two had never run these roads before. Most of it was quiet country roads, few hills to keep us honest. 12km 1hr21mins

In other news - I didn't getting into Dublin Marathon in the lottery. Fingers crossed for round 2.

21 - 27 Nov

Mon: Had to bring someone to an appointment in Galway and while I waited I did what any other sensible person would do - went for a run! I've always wanted to run from the Claddagh out along the Salthill Prom. Nice and quite on a Mon morn. Bar getting my right leg soaked when a car went through a puddle I was lucky enough with the weather. Took it handy as I'd my long run yesterday. Continuing my theme of running somewhere different. 13km in 1hr 29mins.

Tues: rest

Weds: first night back at the track in ages. Was lovely to see those familiar faces and to catch up with a few whom I hadn't seen since their marathon. Wasn't a bad session, bit of a rain shower in the middle. I did find the session tougher than I expected, I guess fitness is down a little.

Thurs: a 2km walk at lunch time. Trying to get back into the habit of a km or 2 on my lunch break.

Fri: online workout in the morning. Afternoon a bit of free time so went for a short run after work. Found it tough enough going, the legs felt tired. 4km 28 mins.

Sat: Was on the road early on Sat and had planned that we would stop off on the way and do a parkrun, it was a good excuse to get on the road early. The aim was Sligo parkrun and made it there in plenty of time. Not a bad route, met beside a playground, run along a path and into a park for 2 loops and back again. Bit of a climb for the first part of the park which I wasn't expecting but was prepared for it on the second loop. 5km 28mins 24sec - not bad.

Sun: Had packed the runners and the good intentions but didn't get out. Was out for drinks the night before so the head was a bit fuzzy. Plus we were on a flying visit so I needed the time for tea and chats. Went out for a 2.5km walk when we got home to stretch the legs.

Also - I got into Dublin Marathon in the lottery round 2!! Relieved TBH - when I had been telling people I didn't get in on round 1 I got well meaning replies such as you can get a charity entry, people will be selling their entries, etc. I have now taken the "maybe" out of the equation. Nervous I'm not going to lie - but it will be a good motivator now to get back to my workouts, keep the weight in check and get the legs moving over the winter months.

• Advertisement

28 Nov - 04 Dec

Mon: short walk at lunchtime. Didn't get to track training in the evening, school meeting.

Tues: Did Mon morn workout on Tues eve.

Weds: Body was tired after workout the previous evening so gave the Weds morn workout a miss. Track running that evening - 3 x 8 mins with 2 mins recovery. A good tempo session, put a bit of pace into the legs. 6.3km in 41 mins

Thurs: just a short lunchtime walk

Fri: Up early for the live morning workout, enjoyed it! Had planned a run over in town in the afternoon but I was delayed leaving work and got out later than I'd planned. I just did 1 of the 2 laps I'd planned as it was getting dark and not the best lit area and fairly sped around too. 2.75km 15:23. The reality is unfortunately this time of year as a woman you are restricted where and when you can run.

Sat: no running. Was parkrun director that morning. Was out the Fri night for the first of the Christmas parties and hadn't thought that through until it was too late to find a replacement director! It was grand though, I'd everything planned and organised on Thurs/Fri and much of the event tends to run itself. Love the community and ethos behind parkrun and I wish more people get involved in it.

Sun: An unplanned night out Sat night but still committed to my Sunday morn run. Much better form this week! The ladies I was meeting do a lovely relaxed pace so I was looking forward to it. Nippy enough morning, bit of sunshine at times, one brief light shower that felt icy cold. 8.1km in 59mins. I did a good long stretching session when I got home. My right quad was a bit sore the last few days when I kneel down and I've found lately that my left hamstring is tight compared to my right when doing stretches at training or workouts. Quad much better after but hamstring still needs a bit more work.

Edit to add: I don't pay too much attention to heart rate on my watch (Garmin Forerunner 35). But I'd noticed that my run on Sunday read at 183bpm average. In comparison my faster run on Fri was 133bpm average. By feel Sunday's run felt so relaxed and easy going I could have gone the distance again while Fri's run I felt slightly anxious and panicked as it was getting dark and a route I'm not overly familiar with so I wanted finished asap.

Post edited by Sunny Dayz on

Advertisement