Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Fri 16 Sept 4.3km 28:14
    Splits: 6:53, 6:08, 6:26, 6:36, 5:34 (0.3)
    Surprisingly good run. Had agreed earlier in the day to go running, but by the time I got home from work I was wrecked (didn't sleep right the night before) and was nearly falling asleep. I decided I would go anyway and just do laps on the track around the pitch. Ah this was so much easier than the road, the surface is nicer. Usually it's boring but there were a lot of people about so I was kept amused watching all that was going on. Didn't bother with operation slow down, instead went with take each lap at a time, keep going and see how it goes!

Sat 17 Sept parkrun 30:51 (woohoo pb for this parkrun!)
    splits: 5:58, 6:29, 6:21, 6:57, 6:02
    Nice morning for it. Made sure to start at the very back this time and not pass any remarks on anyone else, usually I'm trying to keep up with the rest of the pack. Normally my first km for this parkrun is way too fast but this time I actually got it right. I had put on headphones and music for this run and I think this distracted me, I didn't hear my head telling me to walk! On my 4th km i did stop to take some water and walked some of the hill but up to then I was doing well. My last km the song Satisfaction by Benni Bennasi came on and I just worked with that to get me to the finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on your Parkrun pb. Great to see you enjoying your runs again.

Tues 4.7km 31:44
    Splits: 6:40, 6:29, 6:41, 7:26, 6:20 (0.7)

Very tired for this, contemplated not going but needed to clear the head a bit. Again just laps around the pitch but there was a kiddies match on in the middle of the field so was keeping an eye on that and looking out for stray footballs!
    4th km much slower as walked a bit and had some water, I hadn't drank much all day. Calves were pretty sore this evening after.

Might be something to do with the fact I was at the Ploughing also yesterday, phone tells me we covered 15.5kms at it! With all my other moving about, by 8pm yesterday evening I had covered 21.41kms - so I practically did a half marathon yesterday. My legs are feeling it today, no heels for me today!

That was a long of walking yesterday, no wonder you felt tired last night.

Friday 5km 34:37mins
    Splits: 6:14, 6:54, 7:04, 7:07, 7:00
    Out the road for this one, getting conscious that the evenings are closing in and with the running out in the sticks, it soon will be too dark to run the roads at nighttime. So it's time to make the most of it! An ok run, probably not much to report. Was tired after working late and was lucky I got some food in my mum's after work as I didn't take a lunch break.

Saturday parkrun 33:25
    Splits: 5:56, 6:48, 6:50, 7:12, 6:54
    Yucky morning out. Contemplated not doing this. But the hubbie was doing run director so I kinda had to support him! Also cos he went in earlier I ended up being bloody late cos I couldn't find my car keys! So my parkrun time is 3 mins slower than my actual time. Ah sure look at least I completed it. It was miserable enough at the start, blustery and showery, had to hold onto my baseball hat a few times! But it cleared up as the run went on. An ok time, I just tried to keep her lit. Some parts of the course are mucky already so old runners from next week on, and slowed on these parts as I didn't want to slip.

• Advertisement

5km 35:15
    Splits: 6:24, 6:51, 7:08, 7:31, 6:49

Perfect weather for a run! However the calves tighten up for a bit on the 4th km but loosened out again.
    But I think I have to buy new sports bras. Most of mines are from Penneys but in fairness I've had no problems with them up to recently. This past week or so I haven't feel supported in them. Now I am small chested but I could feel that the girls were moving about and not held down, at one stage during the run it actually hurt.

2.9km 19:41
    Splits: 7:12, 6:07, 6:40 (0.8)

Had to get out as cabin fever was getting the better of me. Hadn't been out in a week as the youngster got injured so trying to manage himself, work and life in general. Was late out of work this evening so was late over to the pitch. I got 6 laps around the pitch by the time the rest were finishing up their run. I decided I would do the group cool down for the chats and then go back out for another few laps. But it was getting dark and cold and I was tired after not sleeping properly last night so I called it quits. Ah sure look it was better than flaking on the sofa and I got to see a gorgeous sunset!

Well done on getting out Sunny after a tough week. Hope your son is recovering.

8km 57:19
    Splits: 6:59, 7:49, 6:49, 6:39, 6:54, 7:04, 6:56, 7:07

Said I would try and get out tonight as hubbie away all weekend so I wouldn't get out over the weekend and I'll miss my parkrun. First run I've had in a while where I've been pretty happy. 2nd km was slower cos I slowed for a bit to try set up the Beacon on strava where it messages a link to your chosen safety contact that they can follow where you are. Thought it would be handy and sensible as it was after 7 when I got out but he knew exactly where I was going and when I would be back so I would be ok anyway.

Yep happy with that run, paces felt nice, calves and ankles were a little sore a few time but I was bold and didn't warm up as I was rushing out the door.

Now to stare out the window for the weekend at the good running weather!

Monday 3.4km 20:40 mins
    Splits: 5:38, 6:07, 5:59, 6:10 (0.4)

So things have been shaken up a bit! The usual routine at the GAA club has changed and it was great to see some new faces and old ones return. Last night was a taster night so we did 20 mins running and 20 mins circuits. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Cos I knew we were only running for 20 mins I gave it a bit more effort and was pleasantly surprised with my pace. My right shoulder was a bit tense for some reason (well I'm guessing it's cos I work in an office, desk bound) so I slowed down once or twice very briefly to a walk to massage and swing my arm a bit. Shoulders feel better today, less tense.
    Then to circuits - really enjoyed this, good atmosphere. As the saying goes "A change is as good as a rest". Body doesn't feel too bad this morning, I was expecting much worse!

Last Saturday with it being such a nice day, myself and the youngster went to a nature reserve and hired bikes. Just took our time, few stops to admire the scenery, have a snack etc. 15kms in 1 hr 8 mins. Enjoyed hot chocolate out on the deck overlooking the lake after.

• Advertisement

Fri eve 3.3km 20:17 mins
    Splits: 5:57, 5:59, 6:21, 5:49 (0.3)

Haven't had time to bless myself since Friday morning! A weekend jam packed with my inlaws but I warned the hubbie that I wanted to get out for the usual group run on Fri eve. Still taster week at the clubhouse so we had 20 mins running and then 20 mins HIIT. Again another enjoyable run laps of pitch. It's strange seeing kms in the 5 mins (just about). It would be great if this could be the norm for me! HIIT session after - turns out I have absolutely no core strength! Something is going to have to done about that.

1.9km 11:25 mins
    Splits: 6:05, 5:50 (0.9)

Not much running to report on. With the evenings getting dark there's a move to indoors and circuits. So warm up, 10 mins of laps of the pitch and 30 mins circuits. The past week because we've been doing a shorter time on the laps, I've just pushed myself a bit faster. Kinda like seeing the "5"s on my splits! I don't know why but I don't like feeling out of breath so I'm hoping by doing a few short fast runs that I might a) get used to going a bit faster and b) get used to being out of breath and to be able keep going.
    We shall see...
    Arms are sore today. I've learned from doing circuits this past week that I've very little strength in my upper body and an non-existent core.

Fri 21/10 2.4km 14:49
    Splits: 6:05, 5:49, 6:10 (0.4)

Bit of the different run this evening at the clubhouse. Running laps around the pitch in 2 min intervals, then a whistle is blown and you go to the nearest station which is set up along the pitch and do a few reps of whatever instruction is there, eg jumping jacks, mountain climbers, lunges etc. Rinse and repeat. Enjoyable and something a bit different. I initially had considered cancelling going as I left work quite late, worked through lunch, hadn't time to eat, grabbed a quick cuppa in my mum's, had a headache couldn't find pain killers, couldn't find any of my long sleeved running tops which I has put away somewhere safe at the start of summer - everything was going against me and I was so close to tears. Got out of the house just about and realised I forgot water and my tummy was growling!

Sun 12km 1hr 25min 59 sec
    Splits: 7:15, 6:45, 7:20, 7:20, 7:08, 7:03, 7:05, 7:11, 6:44, 7:06, 7:15, 6:59

Really needed to get out for a long run. Hadn't a long run in ages and with things changed at the clubhouse I've been doing a lot less mileage this last week or two. One of those runs I probably shouldn't have done but glad I did it anyway. Woke up tired and I've not been 100% all week. But said I would get out anyway and go, even if I just walked it. Just toddled along with a few walking breaks and sips of water but I was surprised at the splits looking so good! It was actually a nice run, I didn't push myself hard, I just let my body and legs go at the pace they wanted and felt comfortable. Glad that I can do more than 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Congrats, that is good going. Can be hard sometimes to get out if things are not ideal but a great pick me up when you do.

Mon 2.9km 18mins
    Splits: 6:05, 6:07, 6:13 (0.9)

Still quite tired in myself, up to my eyes in work and the 12km the previous day wouldn't have helped.
    Same routine as last Fri, laps of the pitch interspersed with circuit stations. It is still good an enjoyable session but I found this time that I would be just getting into my stride running and the whistle would sound and, circuit and then try get back into your run again. I found it a bit draining. But that's good cos it forced me to push on through it. Mat work after, finishing with the dreaded plank!

5km parkrun 30mins 34sec
    Splits: 5:35, 6:26, 6:02, 6:25, 6:07

Parkrun in my husband's hometown this week as we are visiting him family for the long weekend. His parents thought we were mad getting up at 8am to go running when we only landed in with them around midnight!
    This parkrun route is not the easiest. It's a tarmac surface which is good but bloody climbs, my legs are more accustomed to the flat Midlands. But it was a good challenge, 3 loops of the course and enjoyable. I thought I had packed my armband and headphone but couldn't find them so ran with my phone in my hand. My first loop I knew was way too fast. 2nd loop I wished I had gone to the loo before we left the house so distracted myself thinking about breakfast after the run. Last loop I keep telling myself nearly there, keep going. There were a couple of very small walking breaks on the 2nd and third loops, the climbs really drained the legs.
    A PB time for me on this parkrun route. Feels, I dunno, strange writing this log entry - there were so many people taking on the challenge of DCM today and here's me posting about 5 kilometres I did yesterday!

Well done on a great parkrun. Its nice to run a different route now and again.

I hear you about the DCM. I did my LSR of 9.1 kms on Sunday morning and thought I was great til I thought about all those running 42 kilometres. Tis all relative I guess.

Well I've been a bit MIA over the last few weeks. Been up to my eyes in work - work, home, eat, sleep - rinse and repeat. Hadn't an ounce of energy to get out, even for a walk. During this time though I did volunteer at my local parkrun.
    So back into it last Saturday - as a parkrun tourist. Yes, we actually looked at where to do a parkrun and planned our weekend away around it!

Saturday 12/11/16 5km 32:17
    Splits: 6:26, 6:11, 6:46, 6:33, 6:04

New course for me to run on (Lough Key). First run in 2 weeks so I'm happy enough with this time. It's such a scenic run that I didn't bother with my earphones, I put the phone on silent with strava running in the background, and enjoyed the run, looking at the lovely surroundings and new people to run with. Only negative was that as I wasn't familiar with the course I didn't know how far along I was. There was a marker at 2km and I didn't see another until 4km and that felt like such a long 2kms. I did have to take one short walking break during this. But when I saw the 4km marker I said right I'm nearly there and pushed on a bit. Would love to run this one again, jealous of those who run this every week! The views were great, lovely forest track, so scenic and colourful.
    We made use of the facilities after and did the indoor Boda Borg - it's a lot more difficult than I expected but enjoyed it. Zip wire next time maybe (although I'm not good with heights).

Monday 14/11/16 2.9km 17:18
    Splits: 5:53, 6:00, 5:51 (0.9)

Back with the local GAA club after missing what 2 or 3 weeks of it! Was dreading it, thought I would be right back to square one. The instructor did interval running which was tough but good. The intervals were progressive ie each fast interval was longer on each lap (I'm sure there's a technical running term for it!) Was really surprised when I got home to see my splits. After the running it was into the gym for circuits, again I thought I would really struggle but I actually got on alright!

A tentative but happy start back into it!

Weds Run in the Dark 5km 32mins 42 sec
    Splits: 6:08, 6:14, 6:38, 6:28, 6:46

There was a pop-up Run in the Dark event organised in the nearby big town so we said we would sign up for it. Pricey enough at €25 each, and the speed my son runs at worked out at a euro a minute! But it was well organised, good atmosphere, flashing armbands, a patterned R.I.T.D. head warmer and a few nibbles for after. And a worthwhile cause to support. Started on time and the km markers were bang on.

First km was good but tough. It's a road I know well, a few of my friends grew up in the area and we walked this road between the school and their houses many times in the (distant) past. But turns out there's a hill by one of my friend's estates which I don't remember when we were young! But the view of all the hi-vis and flashing lights away on up the road was a great sight. Next km had another hill I had forgotten about but passed by my old secondary school! Then a drop in towards town direction. Next km was handy along the street although now we had to stick to the footpaths as this is a busy road out of the town. 4th km was fine heading for the college with a downhill and an uphill after which I pushed on for. Last km was around the very outskirts of the college and I found this the hardest. I would have driven the road so many times but not walked or jogged it and the long drag on the hill was tough for your last km.

By the time we got in and did a few cool down stretches it started to turn very cold, I did want to wait and cheer the 10km runners in but it was turning baltic and it was a school night. Glad we did it. Legs are tired this morning.

Well done Sunny. Sounds like a good run. Great times too.

• Advertisement

Saturday parkrun day 4.7km 31.56
    Splits: 6:22, 6:40, 6:32, 6:54, 6:26 (0.7)

Had this post all done up but Boards app is gone to ****e and it didn't post. Pain in the arse to go and do it all again on my phone so I'll do my log post later on a computer.

Ok here i go again, laptop booted up, webpage is slow. I was one of those eejits to get out of a warm bed yesterday morning to do parkrun. Few others like myself it seems! The body was quite tired as I was in the gym the previous night and that was a struggle itself. Was good to start off easy but soon realised that I was actually very tired. Oh oh - this was going to be a long one and I didn't even have headphones to distract myself with music! So I noticed one of the other ladies was going a nice steady manageable pace so I said to myself I would try stick in and around her. And I have to say it really helped, otherwise I would have really struggled, my head would have won out and I would have taken multiple walking breaks. It still felt like a sluggish run around and stubbornness and determination made me stick with her, sometimes in front, sometimes behind. It was only about 0c or 1c so few layers were shed and kept pulling up and down sleeves, warm arms, then cold arms! The last 200m or so I just gave it was little was left in me for the finish.
    Afterwards I was chatting the lady I was pacing and she said she was pacing me throughout the run! When I looks at my times later I didn't realise it was that good, I thought it was around 33 mins. Body has been very tired since. Fell asleep watching the rugby and legs have been sore especially on the stairs.

Still really not doing as many runs lately compared to what I had been doing. It's just getting harder to get out. Mon & Fri are with the GAA club and for the winter we have migrated indoors to the gym for circuits. I am enjoying them and one of the instructors said it should assist in my running. Tues & Thurs hubbie goes to the gym and Weds I visit family. I should maybe try and get out Tues night when himself gets home from the gym but that could be 8pm. Then that just leaves Sat which is parkrun. Sun should really be long run but ends up being a lie in, house work, visiting etc.

Anyway...
    Sat 26/11 5km 33:06
    Splits: 6:11, 6:43, 6:59, 6:52, 6:31

Were away visiting family this weekend so we were parkrun tourists for another weekend. Took in Newcastle West parkrun. A fairly small parkrun (attendance wise) which is a pity cause it's such a nice setting. Course consisted of 3 laps, first one took in a further loop out of 500m to bring the total course to 5km. A really nice park, plenty of native trees, different paths and walkways, bridges over streams, little robins, exercise stations. Fairly flat course, one "hill" but it wasn't much of a climb IMO and I'm not a fan of hills by any means.

However with Friday consisting of a day in work, 2 hour drive, few drinks, and plenty of chat until 3am I certainly wasn't planning a 5km pb!! First lap was fine, taking in my surroundings plenty of twists and turns and directional arrows so trying to keep an eye on the person ahead of me to make sure I was going the right route but that was difficult. I was just finished the first lap when I was overtaken! That person had done 2 laps of the course (he was around 3.5km and I had done around 2km!). I did expect to be overtaken on my 2nd loop but not quite so soon. :( 2nd loop around was harder, body was already starting to get tired from the lack of sleep and further along that loop I was lapped by a few more runners. One person said when passing me: "No pb today then". I replied, "no, not today" and he replied "at least you came out". I thought afterwards that was a bit cheeky of him, for all he knew that could have been a good run for me, god I know I'm slow but I didn't think I looked that slow running! Feckers were through the finish line when I passed for my final loop. Again I was tired and feeling rather lonely, I knew there were 3 more runners behind me but a bit back. But I knew I only had one loop to go, was more familiar with the route at this point so I was running to corners, direction arrows etc just to get myself around. All the rest of the runners were gone when I came in, except my young lad.

Have to say I did enjoy the route and would love to run it again after getting a good night's sleep. Back to the relations feeling a bit smug myself after having a run while they were still in their pjs!

Well done on doing the Parkrun after a late night Sunny.

Your times were fine too. I'd be happy with that time. They must all be super quick in Newcastle West!!

No running to report : I haven't run in two and a half weeks! Don't know when I last had such a gap in running, certainly not this year, maybe a week but not this long.

Hubbie picked up a dose so I couldn't get out much of that week. Then I ended up getting it and it just floored me, I don't know when I last had such a dose and when I just didn't feel like myself for so long, normally I would be unwell a day or 2 and then back to normal. This just dragged out: flu, downgraded into a head cold, then into a sinus infection. Wiped every bit of my energy, couldn't manage a full day of work last week. Set me back in the Christmas preparation also! And I still don't feel back to myself 100%, still quite lethargic.

The closest I've gotten to running in the last few weeks is volunteering last weekend at my regular parkrun, I picked the marshalling role so there was less chance of me passing on my germs! And I bought some new running leggings in Penneys.

In 2 minds about running at parkrun this weekend, might volunteer again if they are stuck. Part of me wants to run, just to get out, move and get some air. But I know I'll be shattered after it and I have to get the rest of the Christmas shopping done this weekend. Plan is to run the Christmas eve parkrun, do the Goal Mile on St. Stephen's Day and parkrun again on NYE.

I know it's not exactly a running update but I suppose it's a log of my running thoughts as much as a calendar of my physical runs. Sorry if you took the time to read that rambling post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Get well SunnyDayz and be ready to hit 2017 strong. I got a head cold a month ago and i rather stupidly ran through it (on the advise of dr. google :rolleyes:) and i'm still not 100%. Looking back wish i had just taken to my bed for a week, i'd have been a lot better off :o

Sorry to read that you have been under the weather SunnyDayz. Nothing worse than feeling miserable expecially at such a busy time of year. Relax for the rest of December and be ready to face 2017 with all guns blazing. Hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Sun 18/12 4km 29:30
    Splits: 7:00, 6:50, 7:14, 7:36

I did it, I finally got out for a run!! Had planned on doing parkrun on Saturday but the youngster was under the weather. Kept saying to my husband over the weekend I must try and get out for a run, I should try for a run. I was starting to get a bit worried cos it was 3 weeks since I last ran and I had a few runs pencilled in for over the Christmas period. So Sunday evening I just went down the town as far as 2km and turned and headed back. I took it slowly and it was still tough enough. But glad I went out and made a start back into it again.

Tues 28/12 3km 17:05
    Splits: 5:11, 6:06, 5:44

Away staying with the husband's family for a few days. Their local AC was having a 3km. It starts in reverse order. Everyone has given their average 5km time at registration, then people are set off at intervals with slowest going first and fastest starting last, culminating in everyone finishing around the same time.

Was a cold enough day out and like an eejit I wore a tshirt and me trying to fight off head cold mark 2!
    The group I was started with were faster runners than me, around 27/28 min 5km where I'm more 31min 5km. So that explains why my first km was so fast. I knew I should have been a bit slower but I didnt want to lose them too early and I didn't want to be overtaken too soon.

2nd km was tougher. There's a bit of a climb up along the main road to where it turns off and heads towards the town. I was caught out with this climb last year so I was better prepared for it this year. Once off the main road it's all left and right corners which I normally like but at that stage 1.5 to 2 km I was being overtaken so I was conscious of not weaving over and back on the road and getting in anyone's way.

Last km was heading into the town. When you know you only have under the km to go and are on the home straight it keeps you going. I probably was one of the last to finish though. Still, I was 25 seconds quicker than last year. I found my breathing a bit laboured on this run, probably to do with this head cold as I've had a little cough too. Fresh air will do me no harm.

That looks to be probably my final run for the year. I'm going to be taking part in the Lust for Life 5km a day challenge for the month of January. I did it last year and found it very good, easier to do than I thought it would be, the Facebook page was very motivating and also stubbornness on my part to do it!

Happy New Year to you all!!

I might as well set out my opening post of the year with my goals for the year ahead:
    5km - try for another sub 30 (29:59 pb only managed once).
    10km - get near the 60 min mark (currently just under 65).
    Clock up 1,000kms.
    Get my 50 tshirt at parkrun (currently 33 done)
    Run a half marathon.

So a bit of running this past few days while I've had some free time.
    31/12 5.4km 41:30
    Splits: 7:03, 7:39, 7:47, 7:18, 7:44, 8:01.

Santa brought me a garmin forerunner for Christmas so this was to test it out. I still need my phone with me for music and safety. Was a bit tired as I had driven to Dublin and back that day for some sales shopping with mam and hadn't drank much water so it was a bit of a struggle but I took it handy.

1/1/17 4.2km 43:27
    Ok this was a walk with the young fella. Bit of fresh air and tired after late night, early morning and too much food and wine!

2/1/17 6.1 km 44:12
    Splits: 7:30, 6:26, 7:06, 7:10, 7:22, 7:21, 7:03 (0.1)
    Such a bright crispy day out, loads of people out walking, jogging and cycling and all in good spirits. Still feeling quite sluggish, probably due to being off work and eating everything in sight!

I've signed up for a 5km a day challenge for the month of January. I did it last year and it was fantastic. But back to work today and have a wedding at the end of the week so gonna have to squeeze them in when I can. As from next week onwards I'm gonna have to start getting up early or go out very late if I want to get my 5km done as all back to school, work, gym (me & hubbie separate evenings), athletics club (for son, just got word this morning that he's in!) and foroige. Not planning on running every single day at 5km, will be days of walking and days of different runs, hills, faster, slower, different routes etc.

So hopefully this log will be busy this year!

Sunny Dayz

• Advertisement

Good luck with your goals for 2017. Same ones as me!

We can do this.

Advertisement