Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

gypsylee wrote: »
    Good luck with the Clontarf 5 mile. Having a race to aim for will help keep you focused. I have never ran a 5 mile so I am going to sign up for the Raheny 5 mile at the end of January.

Do you have any thoughts of doing DCM yourself?
    Thinking of signing up for Raheny also.
    I'd be fairly doubtful about doing DCM.... I'd say it would be some achievement. But the half I did in the summer, it was no mean feat. I'm not sure I would have a full marathon in me and that I could commit to the training it needs, my work is busy for Sept and Oct. I'll never say never though...

What about yourself Gypsylee?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

After the half in August I swore I would never do a marathon. Watching it on Sunday gave me an idea that maybe I could. It would be a very slow one and I would like to build up my fitness a good bit before starting a plan. Hoping to do the Wexford Half in April so I can improve my Half time and will make the decision then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'd be fairly doubtful about doing DCM.... I'd say it would be some achievement. But the half I did in the summer, it was no mean feat. I'm not sure I would have a full marathon in me and that I could commit to the training it needs, my work is busy for Sept and Oct. I'll never say never though...

Raheny is a great race and, even if it wasn't, the goody bag alone is worth the entry fee ;)

Gosh it makes such a difference when you have signed up to a race and have downloaded a training plan. I suppose that fact that yesterday evening was lovely running weather and I had seen a friend post up on social media that he had just been for a run also helped me out the door!

01/11/17 4km 27:38
    Splits: 6:33, 6:56, 7:02, 7:02

Not much to say, glad I got out the door. Was overdressed for this run, running jacket not needed as yet, so I was sweating buckets. It was ideal running weather and great to see so many other people out walking and running last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

After the half in August I swore I would never do a marathon. Watching it on Sunday gave me an idea that maybe I could. It would be a very slow one and I would like to build up my fitness a good bit before starting a plan. Hoping to do the Wexford Half in April so I can improve my Half time and will make the decision then.

A couple of weeks before DCM i had a flash-back to my first and only HM which was last October... After i finished it i told my OH that any notion i had of ever doing a full marathon was well and truly out the window as there was no way in heaven or earth i could run a mile further never mind another 13.1 miles further :pac: I actually enjoyed the full much more than the HM, the support is unreal, it's hard to explain the difference it makes :)

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    A couple of weeks before DCM i had a flash-back to my first and only HM which was last October... After i finished it i told my OH that any notion i had of ever doing a full marathon was well and truly out the window as there was no way in heaven or earth i could run a mile further never mind another 13.1 miles further :pac: I actually enjoyed the full much more than the HM, the support is unreal, it's hard to explain the difference it makes :)

Now you are sowing the seeds well and truly in my mind!

Well done on your run yesterday Sunny. What plan are you going to follow?

Well done on your run yesterday Sunny. What plan are you going to follow?
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51096/8K-Novice-Training-Program
    Loosely following the Hal Higdon novice 8km plan, might have to chop and change the days a bit, eg Tuesday's run was done last night! Skipped ahead to week 5. I probably should have picked the intermediate plan but I'm going to be busy with work over the next couple of weeks so this one might suit me better time-wise.

A plan well executed so :D

Stop trying to tempt us ariana!! :P

• Advertisement

Well, it's been a while....
    Due to the nature of my job, end of Oct to mid Nov tend to be quite busy, this year seemed to be the one of the more crazy ones I've had in a number of years. Anyway it resulted in no time for running, between work, family stuff and all the rest.

Mon 20/11/2017 9km 1:06:44
    Splits: 6:37, 6:09, 7:51, 7:58, 7:38, 7:42, 8:11, 7:21, 6:50
    So start of a new week, child had training as usual so I decided to get back into the habit of going for a run at this time. Was all fired up and ready to go. But after 2km I went downhill. I got too warm - it was too mild for the long sleeves. I had no water with me and was gasping. I felt tired after being on the go all day. I took loads of walking breaks and found it difficult to get settled on a pace, it was very stop/start and I couldn't even find a slow pace to tick over with. I put it down to not having run in a while.

I'm doing the Clontarf 5 mile this weekend, was hoping to do well in it but I think after that run and the break it's gonna be just complete it and try not to walk.

Clontarf 5 mile 55:06
    Splits: 6:28, 6:33, 6:23, 6:49, 7:00, 7:04, 7:29, 6:54

Wasn't really sure how this was going to pan out. I had printed off a training plan with a min number of days as I knew I was going to be busy in work. But I ended up being busier than I anticipated and it was literally sleep, work and squeeze in eating somewhere. Then the week leading up to the race was just catching up on everything else in life. I got one run done before the 5 mile and that didn't go well.

Night before I didn't sleep well at all. Luckily we were travelling by bus, the roads were snowy and frosty and I wouldn't have been able for travelling to Dublin in that by car. Bus parked up and nipped down to get race numbers. Was starting to warm up a bit on the brisk walk back to the bus. So I decided to just have a long sleeve top and forego the tshirt over it. Back down to the start area, short queue for the toilets as the half runners were gone and into the start area where we did some stretches and jog on the spot to keep warm.

Started off and went with the flow. Many people went on the grass to bypass the crowds but I didn't bother, too much effort! Just went along, trying to pass groups of 3 or 4 abreast running on the prom. First km time came in and was happy enough with that, didn't go out too fast anyway. There was a bit more room for running and passing now and settled into a nice rhythm, was nicely warmed up now and had to take the gloves off. The 3rd km brought us across the bridge and onto Bull Island. Just as I finished this km the leader of the 5 mile passed heading back the way already! The 4th km was where it got tight. The path got really narrow, you were meeting the pack coming back the way and there was only enough room really for one going in either direction. This made it nearly impossible to pass anybody, you had to just go at the pace of the person in front of you and try not to clip their heels. It was nice though meeting the people coming the other direction and saying hi and exchanging words of encouragement.
    Turned at 4km and headed back, we were on the home stretch now. The crowds heading out to the turning point were starting to thin out so you had a bit more room to try squeeze past people. But wind was something else. It blew in across you, biting. The gloves had to go back on and the headband was pull down over the ears completely. It was starting to get harder to move, running felt like it needed more effort. Back over the bridge and a little walk as we were turning onto the prom. Grabbed a jelly from the kind people of, I think, Waterstown and tried to get going again. 2 more walking breaks along my 7th km. Legs felt tired and heavy and the body felt cold, I shouldn't be cold having ran 7kms. Last km and there were some great supporters which helped us along. I tried to pick it up for the last km but again it felt like I was running and getting nowhere!

Was glad to have completed it. I was too cold to admire the scenery along the way. I would like another crack at it again next summer but turns out it's the same day as the Michael Buble concert I'm going to. Lovely route, not a hint of a climb. By right I should have been around 50 mins, had to make do with 55 mins.

Lessons learned:
    1. Get a good night's sleep
    2. Need to up my water intake
    3. Get out for more runs, they don't have to be long or fast, just get out more.
    4. Don't do a gym class the night before a race, I think this is why my legs felt heavy.

Well done on the run. The route is on my old stomping ground and the wind can be tough on the return leg. 50 minutes would be a nice 2018 target for you :)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Well done on the run. The route is on my old stomping ground and the wind can be tough on the return leg. 50 minutes would be a nice 2018 target for you :)
    Thanks. I did my first 5 mile race earlier this year locally and was around 51 mins with the last 1.5km all uphill. I thought with a flat course like Clontarf I would get closer to 50mins but running has fallen by the wayside this past month.

Looking forward to getting back to parkrun this weekend, I have actually missed it. Hoping to give 5 mile another crack with Raheny at the end of Jan. I'm a bit conflicted though. The past 2 January's I've done the Rhythm challenge, 5k a day for the month of Jan cumulating in a 5km group run at the end of the month. The facebook group is brilliant for motivation and the 5km run at the end of Jan has a great atmosphere. But I've heard great things about Raheny....

http://lilliputadventure.com/bressies-rhythm/?mc_cid=a4df63c2a7&mc_eid=064fbf3dad

Saturday - parkrunday! 5km 31:51
    Splits: 5:47, 6:41, 6:39, 6:56, 6:32
    My local one - gosh it's been so long since I ran this - on the one hand I was looking forward to it, on the other I was dreading it cos I feel out of practice!

Started off ok, a bit too fast in hindsight. One of the ladies who runs just sub-30 was just infront of me for the first short loop, I stupidly thought that I would try to hang on to her. But after 1.5 km I realised that was not going to happen. Found myself struggling with the hills, I had a gym class the night before I dunno whether that tired out my legs, it should be strengthening them! I had a small water bottle stashed where we loop around and when I went for it, it was gone. Mouth was as dry as the Sahara! The last 1.5km was spent checking over my shoulder to see was the lady behind me catching up on me! We joked about it after: her behind me pushed me to keep going I didn't want to her to catch up on me and her saying she was trying to hold onto me as best she could to keep herself going!

Mon 4th Dec 10km 1hr 12m 28s
    Splits: 6:35, 6:36, 7:39, 7:11, 7:40, 7:04, 7:49, 7:24, 7:14, 6:54

What's this? Two log posts in a row!

The child had training and I had gotten out of the habit of going for a run during his Monday session. I didn't want to go, you know that feeling, even the hubbie said sure drop him off, go home and collect him after. But I knew I had to go out, even if I was to walk.
    Had an 8km route mapped out in my head. First 2km were along cycleway, flat, straight, boring. I knew I was too fast along this and shouldn't have been struggling that early. Once I got off the cycleway I slowed it right down to a pace above walking, a pace I could maintain, this was much better. Just kept moving and spotting houses with Christmas lights or trees up. Got back near the car with 8km done and 15 mins before the child was finished so I knew a 1km loop close by, did 2 loops of that and back to the car just as training was finishing.
    I did notice it easier to move on that run, I think because I did parkrun on Sat. I am going to have to get out more frequently, even if it's just for 2 or 3 km. But we've quite a few things on this coming week and some bad weather forecast, we shall see.

It's been quiet on this log - almost a month without a post!
    I wish I could say I've loads of runs to post here but I don't. I just lost my motivation in December. Between work, getting Christmas sorted, family stuff etc I just managed a few walks.

I did attend parkrun but it was only as volunteering as they've been tight on numbers. I did hit my 25 volunteer milestone in Dec so I think I'll try and be a bit more ruthless in 2018 and get more runs done at parkrun.

Tues 26th Dec - 5 km 31:12
    Splits: 5:55, 5:55, 6:25, 6:27, 6:27
    We heard on Christmas Day that there was a 5km in my local town the next day, we had already signed up to do the Goal Mile so we juggled our schedule and realised we could do both! A little voice inside me said this could be your last shot at getting sub 30 this year... The run was along the cycleway which I'm not a fan of, I find it quite monotonous. The first 2.5km I was bang on target for squeezing just under the 30. Then (as usual) the 4th km fell apart, I felt tired, I hadn't run in a while. Still 31 mins is grand but I could have done better, sometimes I feel like I need someone around that point in a run to give me a kick up the ar$e!
    Goal Mile after, done in 11:28 as it's not raced as such at our local, it's just an excuse for locals to catch up after the Xmas and walk off a few sweets. I jogged around with a few and had a chat.

End of Year Review:
    • Covered 755kms
    • Didn't break sub 30 for 5km but got 30 on the button at one parkrun
    • PB's twice in my 10k's - 64:02 in April and down to 62:56 in June.
    • Completed a half marathon in 2:30:45
    • Did two 5 mile races

2018 plan:
    • Really want to get my 5km times down - really going for that elusive sub 30!
    • 10k - not really thought of this - I won't be able to do the VHI mini marathon this year as I've something else on that weekend and that's been my goal 10km that past few years.
    • Half marathon - yes I am going to do another one this year - my husband has a milestone birthday this year and has a half on his bucket list so I said I would do it with him. We haven't decided which one to do yet but it won't be run for time, just for completion.

Mon 1st Jan 5km 38:09
    Splits: 7:10, 7:13, 7:55, 8:04, 7:45
    This was never going to be fast as we did have a fair few drinks the night before. Trying to train the husband to run slower! Managed to squeeze it in between the showers.

Have signed up for the Raheny 5 mile, I can't do any worse than 55 mins in Clontarf, I should, by rights, be closer to 50mins.
    I've also signed up to a 5km a day challenge but missed yesterday because of the weather and did a 30 HIIT workout instead.

Good luck with your goals for 2018, that sub 30 5km is there for the taking.

I am doing Raheny as well, have not done a 5 mile before so I am sure of a PB. Would love a sub 50 but doubtful.

Good luck to you and your husband on the half marathon plan. I am so jealous of your 2.30 time!

I've started off my new year with a resolution to walk more to work. My workplace is in walking distance of the house. But with typical Irish weather and dangerous roads, I tend to really only walk to work in the summer when it's bright morning and evening. However measures have recently been put in place which makes it safer now so I've been doing that the last few days while it's still a novelty. It's not perfect but it's a good deal safer than what it was.

I'm behind on my 5k-a-day challenge so I supplemented my 2km walk to work with an 8km jog, I think that leaves me 1 day behind on the challenge.
    Thurs 04/01/2018 8km 1:05
    Splits: 7:30, 8:31, 8:23, 8:33, 8:24, 8:09, 8:01, 7:45
    Did a bit of exploring in my town and managed to stretch out a 6 km running route to 8km by going up and down a few side streets. Happy with this route as it's all on footpath and streetlights which is great for running in a small town on winter's evenings. I've been out of regular running this past month or two, I've felt it in my more recent runs that my fitness, love and motivation for running has slipped. So I brought it back to basics with a slow (and I was hoping steady) jog. I just wanted to be able to keep going and build up some endurance again. It felt largely comfortable which is what many of my runs have not been lately. My slowest run in ages and yet the one I've been happiest with! And the little tingle in my legs this morning when I got out of bed, I think my legs are happy they are starting to remember what it's like to run again!

I'm liking that this 5km a day challenge is getting me out the door. The support and motivation on the facebook group is great.

On Friday I was back to my usual fitness class, mainly weights and it felt like they got heavier as the circuit went around! When I got home, I figured while I was still in my gym gear, sure feck it, I'll pop out for quick walk, rack up a km or two! Who is this?!!

Sat 06/01/18 parkrun 5km 33:51
    Splits: 6:39, 7:06, 6:57, 7:05, 6:41
    Certainly wasn't going to set the world alit with that run, I did feel quite tired and the legs felt heavy. But with one short walking break and two small bits at walking pace as I struggled up the hills I kept it moving. Good to be back running at parkrun again, it feels like ages.

A 6km walk after dinner on Sunday, even though I wrapped up well, it was fing Baltic out!! As soon as I got home I climbed in under the duvet with the electric blanket!

• Advertisement

I enjoy reading other people's logs but I forgot all about updating my own log in the past week!

Mon 08/01/18 10km 1hr 20mins
    Splits: 7:42, 7:58, 8:36, 8:25, 7:17, 8:15, 8:45, 7:12, 8:41, 7:28
    First 10km of 2018 and boy was it a tough one. After a day's work, rushing to get dinner made at home and out the door again all I wanted to do was take a nap! I had company in the form of my husband but I was the slow one for a change and if I was on my own I think I would have cut the run short. In my slowness I just made in back in time to collect the child from training.
    Also I walking in and out of work - 2km

Tues, Weds and Thurs - walking in and out of work - 2km walked each day

Weds - juvenile athletics training - back in at it again! Was kind of dreading it, I don't mind helping out but when I'm given a group of kids and have to train them myself I get nervous and worried I'll do it wrong. But once I got into the swing of things it was ok. Think I might have tugged my left glute during training, I get a little dart now and again, often if I've been sitting on my tush for a while.

Fri 12/01/18 - no run on Friday but went back to the local GAA gym class. Enjoyable, good craic but it was tough. It was largely focused on core which mine needs a lot of work. I could hardly plank or do bicycle crunches and normally I can do them no problem - I didn't realise I had gotten so bad.

Sat 13/01/18 - volunteered at parkrun. I could have brought running gear and done a run of the course afterwards but the lure of breakfast and errands to do in town won out. I could have gone for a run when I got home but I didn't.

Sun 14/01/18 - I could have gone for a run - but I didn't. Motivation to get out the door is low this past few days, procrastination seems to have taken over. I'm doing the Raheny 5 mile in 2 weeks time and do not feel prepared at all. I had a headache going from dull to painful all weekend. It was raining all Sunday afternoon. I got fed up of making excuses, put on my runners and a raincoat and went for a brisk 3km walk and it cleared my head a good bit, and I didn't melt away in the rain!

Sounds like you had a busy week! Well done on getting out yesterday, sometimes it hard to push ourselves.

You'll be grand for Raheny though I admit I am a bit anxious about it too!

Mon 15/01/2018 8.4km 1hr 1min!
    Splits: 7.01, 7:26, 7:01, 7:05, 7:17, 7:28, 7:39, 7:24, 6:01 (0.4)

Decided on 8km this time while the kiddo was at training just so I wouldn't be stuck for time. Did an out and back route to make up the 8km, just measured slightly over as I started the watch at an earlier point than I normally do. Had to pause for a calf stretch at the 2km mark, they were very tight. The next 2 km it started raining and it was that ice cold stinging your face rain, probably why I was a bit quicker! The way back was ok, the rain had stopped but I was feeling the cold even though I had wrapped up it was from the rain. A bit of a run-to-this-building, run-to-the-next-junction type of return. The last 500m I said f-it and pegged it. Had a 15 min wait for the kiddo to finish training, I should have drove down to the nearest garage and got a hot drink as I was quite cold.

Tues 16/01/18 - 3 km walk in the snow! Wasn't even going to attempt a run or jog in that, so dragged the family out with all the layers and enjoyed the snow!

Started thinking last night about a possible target time for Raheny. I've run two 5 mile races so far - my first was last June in 51 mins and then Clontarf in Nov was 55 mins.

Unfortunately a few days got away from me and I didn't manage as much running as I'd like. Still doing a bit of walking in and out of work.

Sat 20/01/18 5km parkrun 32:56
    Splits: 6:18, 6:50, 6:56, 6:52, 6:33
    I know I've done better times here but the course was fairly waterlogged, Few parts were mucky and slippy but sure that's all part of the fun, ya know something a bit different. Usually my mind wanders to breakfast when I'm doing this run but not today, full concentration on not slipping, staying going and not losing the person in front of me!

Sun 21/01/18 - I should have gone out for a walk, run, something in the afternoon when it stopped raining and was still daylight. But I had got into a major house sorting mode so I wasn't going to break my stride!

Mon 22/01/18 8.3km 58:35
    Splits: 6:56, 6:45, 6:49, 7:15, 6:52, 7:34, 6:47, 7:31, 6:08 (0.3)
    Same route as last Monday. Little bit shaved off the time. I've had better runs. I was up to 90 all day and as a result hadn't time for food when I got home as had to bring kiddo to training. After 3km I could feel the energy levels go down. The last 2km felt like I had nothing left in my legs, it reminded me of the last few km of the half last year. When I had finished I had 15 mins before collecting kiddo so I walked 2 laps of the outdoor track as cool down.

Sat 27/01/18 5.3km 36:15
    Splits: 6:18, 7:13, 7:03, 7:11, 6:32, 6:21 (0.3)
    Volunteered at parkrun this morning. After I had to bring the child to music so I went for a bit of a run. I was quite near to the cycletrack so I headed out there as I had daylight for a change. Realised that running on the cycleway on your own with no music is bloody boring. It was warmer than I expected and felt I struggled a little which left me nervous about doing the Raheny run the next day. But on the plus side it made me realise that I should be wearing a tshirt when it's warm and that served me right in Raheny!

Sun 28/01/2018 Raheny 5 mile official time 50:31 (watch read 51:05)
    Splits (per watch): 6:15, 6:22, 6:24, 5:55, 6:16, 6:38, 6:23, 6:21
    Was both excited and nervous about this run. I hadn't a good run in Clontarf last Nov which lead me to believe that the good 5 mile time I got last summer was a fluke. Raheny is not an area of Dublin I know at all but we were lucky to get parking quite nearby. We had plenty of time to get our race numbers, do a decent warm up and few stretches. There didn't seem to be any starting pens for times so we just joined in the crowds, think we did start about the right place in fairness.
    Off we went, I started my watch as soon as we started moving and a bit before crossing the start line so that's why there's a difference in my recorded time. Was a bit congested for the first km. I didn't realise what distance I had gone until I checked the watch to see if we had done 1km yet and I had nearly reached 2km! Felt I had settled into the run by then, anytime I checked my pace it seemed to be faster than what I was aiming for, but because I felt comfortable I kept going. Couldn't believe how quick my 4th km was, apparently it was all downhill - I didn't even notice! At the start of the 6th I got a stitch on my right side just before St Anne's Park, I rarely get stitches, I don't go fast enough. I tried to slow it down but I ended up walking a bit in the Park. When I got to the out-and-back section I picked it up again, looking at the crowds and by the time I got to the other side of the out-and-back I felt back on stride again. Once you get out of the park, you are nearly at the finish line.
    I was surprised at my time when the official results came through. Made me wonder could sub 50 be possible... A good start to the year, time to figure out what's next...
    The race was well organised, the running crowd were lovely, plenty of chat in the starting area and there was such great support all along the route.

Sat 27/01/18 5.3km 36:15
    Splits: 6:18, 7:13, 7:03, 7:11, 6:32, 6:21 (0.3)
    Volunteered at parkrun this morning. After I had to bring the child to music so I went for a bit of a run. I was quite near to the cycletrack so I headed out there as I had daylight for a change. Realised that running on the cycleway on your own with no music is bloody boring. It was warmer than I expected and felt I struggled a little which left me nervous about doing the Raheny run the next day. But on the plus side it made me realise that I should be wearing a tshirt when it's warm and that served me right in Raheny!

Sun 28/01/2018 Raheny 5 mile official time 50:31 (watch read 51:05)
    Splits (per watch): 6:15, 6:22, 6:24, 5:55, 6:16, 6:38, 6:23, 6:21
    Was both excited and nervous about this run. I hadn't a good run in Clontarf last Nov which lead me to believe that the good 5 mile time I got last summer was a fluke. Raheny is not an area of Dublin I know at all but we were lucky to get parking quite nearby. We had plenty of time to get our race numbers, do a decent warm up and few stretches. There didn't seem to be any starting pens for times so we just joined in the crowds, think we did start about the right place in fairness.
    Off we went, I started my watch as soon as we started moving and a bit before crossing the start line so that's why there's a difference in my recorded time. Was a bit congested for the first km. I didn't realise what distance I had gone until I checked the watch to see if we had done 1km yet and I had nearly reached 2km! Felt I had settled into the run by then, anytime I checked my pace it seemed to be faster than what I was aiming for, but because I felt comfortable I kept going. Couldn't believe how quick my 4th km was, apparently it was all downhill - I didn't even notice! At the start of the 6th I got a stitch on my right side just before St Anne's Park, I rarely get stitches, I don't go fast enough. I tried to slow it down but I ended up walking a bit in the Park. When I got to the out-and-back section I picked it up again, looking at the crowds and by the time I got to the other side of the out-and-back I felt back on stride again. Once you get out of the park, you are nearly at the finish line.
    I was surprised at my time when the official results came through. Made me wonder could sub 50 be possible... A good start to the year, time to figure out what's next...
    The race was well organised, the running crowd were lovely, plenty of chat in the starting area and there was such great support all along the route.

Of course it is ;)

Well done, great running, despite the stitch you got it back together

Sub-50 is absolutely possible. Well done on your run. I get cursed stitches all the time, even when doing an easy run. It's a cursed nightmare. I think it's potentially related to eating to close to a run, but I haven't been able to pinpoint a cause yet.

Looking forward to hearing about your plans.

Well done on a great run yesterday. That sub-50 is yours for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well done! Sub 50 is definitely possible, you're so close!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately there's not been much running this past week due to a sick child. Still keeping the walking going in and out of work. Went for an hours long walk on Sat evening s cabin fever was setting in!
    Gonna try get out maybe tomorrow for a short run and I'm looking forward to some parkrun tourism this weekend.

Advertisement