Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer not Working

Options
  • 18-08-2016 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with the electrical timer for our immersion (standard mechanical dial-type). It was newly wired in about 3-4 years ago and initially worked fine. A year or so ago we found that the timer part had stopped turning and was always stuck in the same spot. I asked an electrician I know and he said it was probably just an old timer that had worn out, so I went out and bought a new one and replaced it. Things worked fine for 9+ months until the same thing happened again. No movement of the clock dial. It's a different model timer but still has the same mechanical rotary timer face.

Has anyone any ideas as to what might be causing this? It appears to be all working fine, except for the timer not rotating; always on works, always off works, in timer mode it's on when opposite a pulled out pin and off otherwise. I'm at a loss to what could be the cause.

Would moving to a digital timer fix the issue?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In my opinion many of these analog type timers (such as Apt) are low quality, this is most likely your issue. My advice would be to replace with a digital unit. Ensure that the replacement unit is suitably rated (don't use a timer that is only rated for a smaller load such as a boiler).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    In my opinion many of these analog type timers (such as Apt) are low quality, this is most likely your issue. My advice would be to replace with a digital unit. Ensure that the replacement unit is suitably rated (don't use a timer that is only rated for a smaller load such as a boiler).

Yea the mechanical ones are very crude really.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not a fan of the analogue ones either but that's all I could find locally the day I looked. I'll have a look online for a digital one. Didn't want to do that until I was convinced there wasn't a bigger underlying issue.

My central heating timer is beside the immersion and also analogue. Any thoughts on if I should take this opportunity to merge them into one digital timer? I'm a bit loath to do it since I'd also have to patch up the hole for the removed timer.

Any irish online retailers I could order from? I've no interest in a Nest or similar. Just something that does the job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could merge once the replacement timer has enough channels. However the timer would have to control a contactor for the immersion. I would insist that the immersion has an isolator installed local to the immersion element.

2011 wrote: »
    You could merge once the replacement timer has enough channels. However the timer would have to control a contactor for the immersion. I would insist that the immersion has an isolator installed local to the immersion element.

Cheers for that. Not 100% sure what a contactor is but that's why I'm here asking :D. I might just get one timer for now to fix the immersion and can replace the central heating timer at a later date.

If anyone knows of a decent timer please let me know. I just want something that'll work and doesn't need a manual every time I want to set/change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A lot of times aren't supposed to be fitted in the hot press. As far as I remember Flash timers say in the fitting instructions not to fit in hot press. I can't say if this is why you are having issues but it's worth thinking about.
    There are some great digital timers designed for immersions with a boost button. The boost button is a must if you have teenagers imo

Agree with the above, a higher ambient temperature can cause devices to expire prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,590 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am going to unhelpfully point out that I have had one actual fire in a house, and one potential fire (different set up) due to immersion timers. I don't trust them at all and avoid even using the immersion if I can - which is now about 100% of the time.

looksee wrote: »
    I am going to unhelpfully point out that I have had one actual fire in a house, and one potential fire (different set up) due to immersion timers.

This is not unhelpful at all. It is important to remind people of the dangers of electricity.
    I don't trust them at all and avoid even using the immersion if I can - which is now about 100% of the time.

Apart form anything else heating water electrically is very expensive. However it is possible to do this safely with a timer using quality components. As stated in my earlier post in my opinion many of the analog type timers are low quality, I certianly wouldn't recommend using them.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A lot of times aren't supposed to be fitted in the hot press. As far as I remember Flash timers say in the fitting instructions not to fit in hot press. I can't say if this is why you are having issues but it's worth thinking about.
    There are some great digital timers designed for immersions with a boost button. The boost button is a must if you have teenagers imo

Good advice but it's not in the hot press. The area it's in has not been noticeably warm/warmer.

looksee wrote: »
    I am going to unhelpfully point out that I have had one actual fire in a house, and one potential fire (different set up) due to immersion timers. I don't trust them at all and avoid even using the immersion if I can - which is now about 100% of the time.

It's a new tank and wiring so I think we should be okay. As okay as anyone can be anyway :D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement