Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composting and water collection solutions for those who rent

Options
  • 18-08-2016 10:30am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts or ideas on composting or water butts for people who rent?

Is there any point to setting up a composter if you have to move again in 12 or so months (and can you move it or do you leave it behind?)? Are those of us who rent better off just getting a bin service that collects grass clippings? (seriously, so many bin companies only collect food waste in buckets for building sandcastles).

What about water collection systems? Can you get portable ones to bring from house to house? Or do you set up a cheap one and leave it behind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Tree wrote: »

Is there any point to setting up a composter if you have to move again in 12 or so months (and can you move it or do you leave it behind?)? Are those of us who rent better off just getting a bin service that collects grass clippings? (seriously, so many bin companies only collect food waste in buckets for building sandcastles).

What about water collection systems? Can you get portable ones to bring from house to house? Or do you set up a cheap one and leave it behind?

The composter I could see being moved if it was one of the smaller ones but most rain water collectors I've seen need you to cut into a down pipe and I think that'll be your problem - it would be an unusual landlord that would allow you to cut into the pipe. And when you leave you'd have to install a new pipe as the old one is cut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unless you ask the landlord to install a water butt, or allow you to, but the expectation that it'd be left if you move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Set up a worm bin compost flow through system. Small and better quality soil. And fast turn around .that you could take with you

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

unless you ask the landlord to install a water butt, or allow you to, but the expectation that it'd be left if you move out.

Maybe the landlord would welcome the addition of a waterbutt and/or composter to their property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Defo go with the composter, if you'll use it.
    The water butt shouldn't be a problem either but get permission if you'll be making a hole in a downpipe to fill it. The hole would be easily patched up after - just use a similar piece of pipe.

If you bring something in, you can take it away with you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The water butt shouldn't be a problem either but get permission if you'll be making a hole in a downpipe to fill it. The hole would be easily patched up after - just use a similar piece of pipe.
    no so much a hole like you'd make with a drillbit - any water butt i've ever fitted (well, two) has required sawing clean through the pipe and taking out a 1" length of it to fit a diverter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Thanks all.

I'll look into worm composting. Fast turnaround would be great for renting, I've plenty of potted plants, and there's loads of grass wouldn't mind a topup.

Not sure how much the LL will want the downpipe cut, they're planning to sell after my tenancy.

Advertisement