Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better console for kids??

• 18-08-2016 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.
    So I'm already thinking Xmas and the all important santy gifts. (Not out of choice. Gonna be strapped for cash so the earlier the better).

Anyways. I have 2 boys ages 4 and 7. We've decided to get them a 3ds each (please note they will NEVER play in 3D while under 13ish yrs old... they prefer the circle pad). So my question is this..

Would the 3ds be better for the smaller hands or would the 3dsXL be the better option.. Or does it even make a difference.

Tia

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The current New 3DS is the perfect size, and it comes with customisable face plates.
    You can make them easily distinguishable from each other with them and turn off the 3D and protect it with a Pin number.
    They aren't too expensive and play everything from DS to 3DS, so plenty to occupy them.
    I'd watch both Smyth's and Argos for package deals on the run up to Christmas, starting now, you could save a few bob on a console with a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I would get the Nintendo 2DS its exactly the same as the 3DS but doesn't have 3d on it and its more bulkier so won't break if they accidentally drop it. And its a bit cheaper as well so will save you a bit of cash :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The 2DS has both screens exposed, so that can get scratched easier, also they aren't terribly comfortable to hold.
    The 2DS is also based around the same hardware as the normal 3DS and 3DSXL, and isn't as capable as the New 3DS and New 3DS:XL.
    If this doesn't bother you, I would buy a cheap 3DS:XL instead, they are around €120 each in Smyth's with a free game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Thanks for the input guys. I swear I'm running out of things to get them. I sing but then much but they are the only nephews and grandchildren on both sides. They are spoiled rotten with gifts. I'm grateful and all but it IS such a pain. The charity stores are well stocked around here.

Advertisement