Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Stew Stock

Options
  • 18-08-2016 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have saved all the bones from lamb and made lamb stock but it's quite dark.
    It's in the freezer at the moment.

I was thinking I would use the stock for lamb stew but any lamb stew I've seen is a light nearly clear colour.

Do you think I could use the stock for stew or would I be better off using it for a pie maybe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I wouldn't worry about the colour as long as it tastes good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it's Irish Stew and you want it to be traditional, it should really be a light pale stock but you can do any sort of stew with lamb that you would do with beef - it'll just taste of lamb rather than beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I was hoping for the pale colour alright.

If you have a recipe for the traditional style and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be delighted.

I wouldn't worry about the colour as long as it tastes good.

Tastes lovely, thankfully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

I have saved all the bones from lamb and made lamb stock but it's quite dark.
    It's in the freezer at the moment.

I was thinking I would use the stock for lamb stew but any lamb stew I've seen is a light nearly clear colour.

Do you think I could use the stock for stew or would I be better off using it for a pie maybe.

You could try clarifying the stock here is just one result i found for this when searching.
    http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-clarify-stock/#page=0

• Advertisement

You could try clarifying the stock here is just one result i found for this when searching.
    http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-clarify-stock/#page=0

Thanks Robbie but the colour is still dark.

I was hoping my stock would look something like this:
    Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.46.28.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ellejay wrote: »
    I was hoping for the pale colour alright.

If you have a recipe for the traditional style and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be delighted.

I don't have a recipe - more of a handed down from my mother to my sister and adapted by me. Funny thing is, I don't use stock when making an Irish stew. I use lager or a light golden ale. It doesn't make it beery at all just gives a lovely depth of flavour.

I have a local butcher who does really good value "lamb pieces". It's a mix of shoulder, shank and other lovely trimmings which has a nice balance of lean, bone and connective tissue - I love it. You could use shoulder chops or the like but you really do need some bone.

Firstly (if I think of it) I put a half a cup of pearl barley to soak in a cup of boiling water.

Put a heavy pot or casserole on a lowish heat.
    Trim excess fat off the meat and put it in the pot and allow it to brown just a little. I just throw the pieces in as I have them trimmed. No need to add oil - the fat will render out of the meat. Don't worry about even or deep browning - this is just a little frying for some flavour.

Chop up a few carrots, a large potato chopped up small, a large onion, a stick of celery and a leek and add to the pot (a little turnip or parsnip can go in too). Add a good sprig of fresh thyme (essential) and some parsley stalks (if you have them) and a few black pepper corns. Pour in a whole can of cheap lager:eek:. Add some water, if needed to just cover the meat and veg and add some salt.
    Add your barley. Bring it to a simmer, skim it, cover it and simmer on a low heat (or put in oven @150c) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the meat is tender.

Check for seasoning and skim off the fat that will have come to the surface (if you allow it to go cold, this is much easier - and it tastes better the next day, anyway). Serve with steamed potatoes and a good scattering of fresh chopped parsley (always flat leaf for me).

THat's my somewhat traditional Irish Stew.
    You could use stock instead of or as well as the beer but the beer really does work.

Thanks a million
    Think I'll try your recipe rather than the one I had

Advertisement