Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What plant is good for real shady indoor places

Options
  • 18-08-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi, can someone recommend a plant that can thrive in a shady area on a north facing window sill? I have a window that faces the back of the house and trees block out a lot of light so it is kind of shady but some light does enter. I put a small fern there but it is not really liking the space as it is looking a little bit droopy and brown-tipped

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sometimes you just have to accept that an area is too gloomy for plants :) I have a window ledge like that and I just don't put plants on it. Aspidistra might be an option, but I don't find them attractive enough to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

looksee wrote: »
    Sometimes you just have to accept that an area is too gloomy for plants :) I have a window ledge like that and I just don't put plants on it. Aspidistra might be an option, but I don't find them attractive enough to bother.

but I need one! :D

ok so what is the gloomiest plant in Ireland? Surely there must be so many for being such a gloomy country

I was not joking about the aspidistra, it is pretty much unkillable. However I have remembered that I have a philodendron - aka sweetheart plant - growing down a poorly lit, northfacing stairwell. It is on top of a chest of drawers and several stems go over the bannisters and down the wall, it must be 7 or 8 feet long at this stage, is healthy and even has retained its varigation, so that is another possibility. I also have a zebrina there but it is struggling a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

looksee wrote: »
    I was not joking about the aspidistra, it is pretty much unkillable. However I have remembered that I have a philodendron - aka sweetheart plant - growing down a poorly lit, northfacing stairwell. It is on top of a chest of drawers and several stems go over the bannisters and down the wall, it must be 7 or 8 feet long at this stage, is healthy and even has retained its varigation, so that is another possibility. I also have a zebrina there but it is struggling a bit.

I like both of those, thanks! I will go buy some soon. Are thye easy to find?

Philodendron is easy to find, garden centres will have it. Not so sure about aspidistra, you might have to search a bit for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement