Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for Manufacturing Facility Building Refurbishment - Horizon 20

Options
  • 18-08-2016 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just asking if any of you have heard of any grants available for rural manufacturing facility refurbishments.

We are a small family owned 1982 facility based in rural munster. Most of our competitors are situated in industrial parks around the Galway/Cork region - however, I cannot for the life of me figure out how they can manage to dramatically improve the face of their buildings without colossal bank loans.

I am very aware that its just a building, however, as globalisation has brought us an ever competitive environment, the introduction of google street view has done us no favours!

Any information in relation to the above would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

No such grants that I ever heard of. TBH, a few timber planks and some metal deck sheeting seconds can't cost that much to clean up your facade. Ask you local LEO office if there are any other supports you can avail of.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__Robinhood__

When it comes to attracting the attention of international customers.....timber and metal sheets do not cut it.
    Will do on the LEO though - Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

When it comes to attracting the attention of international customers.....timber and metal sheets do not cut it.

Do many international customers really cross-check the appearance of their suppliers manufacturing facilities against Google street view when deciding where to place their business?

I guess I'm really asking, is a face lift of your premises really going to make a difference when it comes to 'attracting the attention of international customers'?

I am not talking about corrugated iron sheeting but rather powder coated modern box profile sheeting which can be bought as seconds for small money. It is what new buildings use.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__Robinhood__

Graham wrote: »
    Do many international customers really cross-check the appearance of their suppliers manufacturing facilities against Google street view when deciding where to place their business?

I guess I'm really asking, is a face lift of your premises really going to make a difference when it comes to 'attracting the attention of international customers'?

I would be as surprised as you but yes, believe it or not global supply chains from many international companies dig out all the info they can. One area that we need to improve upon, as they put it - 'move away from looking like a mom & pop shop' - to me it has no immediate benefit as at the end of the day its the same product, same prices they are receiving. However its getting harder and harder to get contracts as this is a recurring issue.

• Advertisement

Google street view in my area, urban coastal south county Dublin, is well more than 5 years old. Cant imagine rural areas getting re-recorded very frequently or any time soon. Reclad, take photos and put them up prominently on your website. Get creative with the naming of your published address........Widget Mfg Ltd Widget Works, obscure local townland name , Co XXXX

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mrawkward wrote: »
    Get creative with the naming of your published address........Widget Mfg Ltd Widget Works, obscure local townland name , Co XXXX

I prefer Widget Artisans Ltd, Widget Farm, obscure local townland.

No cladding required :)

I'm only being half tongue-in-cheek, there may be an opportunity to play up the location/operation rather than trying to disguise it as a soulless business shed operation.

Graham wrote: »
    I prefer Widget Artisans Ltd, Widget Farm, obscure local townland.

No cladding required :)

No kiddin, no claddin? Photshop some other punters factory for the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

How much do you think you would need to spruce up your place?

It might be a hard sell to get funding specifically for that, but have you looked at other grants available? If you got some funding in other areas you could divert funds you are currently spending there to invest in the building

Here are some export related grants from EI:
    https://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/Export-Assistance/Funding-for-Export-Plans/

Advertisement