Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named driver on provisional got 3 points. How much will it cost me?

• 18-08-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

As the title says...

My partner was speeding, got three points. He only has a provisional licence cause although very experienced driver he's foreign and we don't have the spare cash to pay for all those lessons to be allowed do Irish test... I'm the main driver/my car. Both of us driving 5 or 6 years in this country, no claims.

I known it's all guess work but how much extra is it likely to cost me when we renew next month???

Friends have said you're not obliged to inform insurers at renewal, but that surely, is daft? (or is it? *scheming face*)

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You are obliged, and it's impossible to say how much it will be.
    Try all the listed companies in the sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭misshaversham

Hmmm. so that means there could be consequences - likely consequences - if it isn't disclosed.

I know it's impossible to say but we are very poor. Really worried that this might take us off the road, and with small children and rural area we really really need car. Latest quote without points is 820 which is pretty good for a 15 year old car.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The consequences is that the insurance will be voided

Tbh, your insurance will probably increase anyway, because it does for everyone regardless
    Start now to get quotes, no need to wait.

biko wrote: »
    The consequences is that the insurance will be voided

Tbh, your insurance will probably increase anyway, because it does for everyone regardless
    Start now to get quotes, no need to wait.

Would that insurance be voided even while I, the penalty-point free one, was driving?

That 820 is a quote I got this morning, although likely to rise again by my renewal date at start of Oct. It's pretty good for a 15yr old car.
    I suppose I'm just wondering would those 3 penalty points for named driver on provisional do something really mad and game-changing like double our insurance cost and take us off the road?
    Or would it add an extra 300, or less?

I know you can't say but dealing with a bit of anxiety here...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would that insurance be voided even while I, the penalty-point free one, was driving?

That 820 is a quote I got this morning, although likely to rise again by my renewal date at start of Oct. It's pretty good for a 15yr old car.
    I suppose I'm just wondering would those 3 penalty points for named driver on provisional do something really mad and game-changing like double our insurance cost and take us off the road?
    Or would it add an extra 300, or less?

I know you can't say but dealing with a bit of anxiety here...

Failure to declare the points in the event of a crash would void your policy regardless of who is driving. Start checking online quotes with all the companies in the links in this forum

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Failure to declare the points in the event of a crash would void your policy regardless of who is driving. Start checking online quotes with all the companies in the links in this forum

Ok, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

As the title says...

My partner was speeding, got three points. He only has a provisional licence cause although very experienced driver he's foreign and we don't have the spare cash to pay for all those lessons to be allowed do Irish test... I'm the main driver/my car. Both of us driving 5 or 6 years in this country, no claims.

I known it's all guess work but how much extra is it likely to cost me when we renew next month???

Friends have said you're not obliged to inform insurers at renewal, but that surely, is daft? (or is it? *scheming face*)

TIA

When renewing you will be asked if either party has any accidents, claims, convictions or penalty points.
    As a matter of interest, how is your partner able to keep driving on a provisional licence for 5 or 6 years? I realise you are in a catch 22 situation with not being able to afford lessons and therefore not being able to apply for the test, but to get a third learner permit he had to have shown evidence that he has applied for the test?
    He is also taking a big risk driving unaccompanied on a learner permit....(if that is the case)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Aviva are the only company that I know for sure apply a loading for PP's. Most other insurers allow up to 6 without any loading.

It's best to include them in any quote you get.

As others have said, in the event of a claim it could cause issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

If you are driving on a foreign license can you actually get points? If you are insured with a foreign license you are already getting a loading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

If you are driving on a foreign license can you actually get points? If you are insured with a foreign license you are already getting a loading.

Yes, you get points and these days, they do even expire.
    They may be fooled by change of address and such but otherwise you definitely get them (personal experience).

Not sure how it works if you get enough the get a ban but luckily, I never got there ...

In this case, I think the OP's partner is not driving on a foreign licence but on a Irish learner (you obviously could not legally drive on a foreign learner or equivalent).
    Maybe he's from a country for which licence do not transfer or maybe his original licence has expired and he cannot renew it or ....
    But by the look of it, it's only valid licence in Ireland is the learner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭ATMatm

As the title says...

TIA

There's a general increase in the market but a higher increase for cars over 15 years old, policies with provisional drivers etc. In 90% of the renewals I see, penalty points make no difference as long as no driver goes above 3. Liberty and Aviva are specific exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

RSA also load for them. For a provisional driver it could be anything from 150-250

Advertisement