Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FitBit Alta or Charge HR

• 18-08-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion on both devices.
    From a very basic point of view, the difference I can see is that the Charge HR tracks your heart rate.
    I'm in the middle of trying to decide which one to buy.

I have started a new healthkick, working out most lunchtimes and want something to help track my progress.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What do you want to track, exactly? The only useful measure they track is steps, which doesn't really represent your workouts. I have a Charge and stuck in a drawer after a couple of months and haven't looked back. Nifty novelty but the technology isn't really advanced enough to give particularly useful information.

If you want feedback on the effects of your workouts I think a mirror and a scales are still probably your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zillah wrote: »
    but the technology isn't really advanced enough to give particularly useful information.
    I find tracking calories burned during a workout and sleep hours/quality to be useful.
    Not too bother about steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

Like Mellor, I would like to see how many calories are burned throughout the day. My quality of sleep is also of interest.
    do other people find the Heart Rate function good?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JeffCash

streetcar wrote: »
    Like Mellor, I would like to see how many calories are burned throughout the day. My quality of sleep is also of interest.
    do other people find the Heart Rate function good?

I have the FitBit HR and find the heart rate component very useful. When you finish exercising it will give you your average heart rate during that period so you can tell whether you've really applied yourself or just dialled it in. Also the resting heart rate feature is great. Normally I'm about the 55 mark but after an unhealthy weekend it's fairly mental seeing it rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

+1 on the HR. I use mine in spinning to make sure I'm working hard enough to stay in my target heart zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

Thanks - I think the HR functionality is what will swing it for the charge HR for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Depends what you want it for. I have found that FitBit HR is not very accurate, particularly if running. HR chestband is much more accurate. Step tracker is about the only useful function of the FitBit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depends what you want it for. I have found that FitBit HR is not very accurate, particularly if running. HR chestband is much more accurate. Step tracker is about the only useful function of the FitBit.

Accuracy is not really a massive concern imo.
    Whether it gives medical grade heart rate readings, or rough number within a few BPM is really going to affect your training or results.
    Consistency is more important for comparing trend over time.

Advertisement