Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clueless 29 year old 1st car to learn to drive in

• 18-08-2016 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

What would you guys recommended? I want something safe, reliable and easy to learn in. Would ideally get car first then take lessons in it. Living in Dublin so would mainly be for short drives but would need it to go on motor way once a month to get to Waterford and back.

Budget pretty flexible up to 20k. Would you recommend getting somthing good right away or get something closer to 5k and then trade up after a year or 2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'd go and take lessons in an instructors car and get the license first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'd go and take lessons in an instructors car and get the license first.

Completely agree - there are a number of advantages to this route:
    • You don't learn any bad habits by driving without your instructor
    • You give yourself time to find a car that really suits what you want
    • You postpone getting insurance until you have a full licence - that'll save you a few quid.
    As for the car, get something that's easy on fuel which probably indicates a small engine, is reliable and is comfortable (if you're 6'7" you don't want a Micra). For your first car you want something that's essentially boring. Given your lack of experience, you will probably dent it, so try not to spend much - I wouldn't spend anything like 20K on a first car. You'll find something for 3-4K that will be in good condition and will do just fine for a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not go spending 20k on a first car that you will be learning to drive in. I'd stick my budget to under 5k.

Also have you priced insurance on it yet? Insurance has gone through the roof in the last few years in Ireland so many people end up buying a car that they can afford to insure. With no previous driving experience or claims free driving in your own name, I cannot imagine insurance being cheap even on the cheapest and smallest sized car.

So I'd recommend a smallish type car with either an engine size of maybe 1.0 litre to 1.2 litre, something like a Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta, up to about 10 years old maximum (as insurance companies load older cars). Their compact size makes them easy to learn to drive in and are reliable enough. Have a look at the likes of donedeal for examples that are for sale. Then get a few insurance quotes on them and that will give you an idea of what sort of money you will be paying to put one on the road. No point going out buying a car first only then finding out you cannot insure it. Keep the car for 2 or 3 years so that you can build up your claims free driving (insurance give a discount for every year you have a policy without making a claim) so that your insurance starts to come down (hopefully) in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SarahVOW

Taking the lessons in the instructors car might be best option. I was worried I wouldn't have enough driving time/experience to pass the test that way.

As for 20k that would be my max not what I want to spend. I guess just trying to get across my budget is more flexible than most first time drivers so I'm not stuck with what I can afford rather what's the best option for a first time driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Do what most of us did, become a named driver on someone elses policy. Also if your budget is 20k I'd say just buy what you want/like. Starting driving is fun and you may as well be comfortable on your long cruises. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't see the need for people to stick to 1-1.2 L engines for learning to drive. I think it just happens that a lot of people start with a small engine car because of the cost of insurance. If you can afford the insurance, then you can learn in any roadworthy car that you find comfortable.

Bear in mind that Dublin to Waterford, avoiding motorways, is a 3+ hour drive, which can be a lot for a learner, so it would be worthwhile making sure that your accompanying driver is also insured to drive your car so that you can swap if necessary.

Something like a Volvo S80 would certainly tick the safety box.

Thoie wrote: »

Bear in mind that Dublin to Waterford, avoiding motorways, is a 3+ hour drive, which can be a lot for a learner, so it would be worthwhile making sure that your accompanying driver is also insured to drive your car so that you can swap if necessary.

Oh this would not be happening until test passed and experienced gained just would want a car that can handle it easily . I got a lift from a friend on that journey before and her car (old and always giving trouble) went on fire with us in it. Rare I know but scared the life out of me.

Can you provide a link to an S80 you'd recommend to a learner.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to an S80 you'd recommend to a learner.

Any manual. I'd avoid an automatic, purely because if you sit your test in an automatic you're more limited.

Here's a random one off Carzone. If you can afford the insurance, what does it matter?

I mightn't go for that specific car due to the age, but if you're not a complete eejit, the engine size or physical size of the car doesn't matter (as long as you can keep it insured).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Think I have seen it all now, a learner driver being recommended a Volvo S80 :pac:

Seriously, don't listen to a word Thoie says. If you're learning, you want something small, easy to drive, safe, manoeuvrable, and cheap. If you're driving around Dublin, which can be very built up with narrow streets, driving a bus of a car is just not going to be comfortable for a learner. I have a niece just out of college who started a sales job and she was given a new Skoda Superb as her first car and it's covered in dings and dents after half a year of driving. A Yaris, a Fiesta, or a Polo would be grand cars to start on. Get your test, drive it for a year, and then if you want something bigger, move up. At that stage, your insurance should be that bit cheaper, and you'll have an idea of what car you actually need.

• Advertisement

Any manual. I'd avoid an automatic.

Was there even a manual s80? I can't see a learner driver getting insurance on a 2l turbo petrol s80 nor would I think it in any way a sensible option for a learner starting to drive in Dublin.

That's one of the worst suggestions I've seen on here for a while.

Think I have seen it all now, a learner driver being recommended a Volvo S80 :pac:

Seriously, don't listen to a word Thoie says. If you're learning, you want something small, easy to drive, safe, manoeuvrable, and cheap. If you're driving around Dublin, which can be very built up with narrow streets, driving a bus of a car is just not going to be comfortable for a learner. I have a niece just out of college who started a sales job and she was given a new Skoda Superb as her first car and it's covered in dings and dents after half a year of driving. A Yaris, a Fiesta, or a Polo would be grand cars to start on. Get your test, drive it for a year, and then if you want something bigger, move up. At that stage, your insurance should be that bit cheaper, and you'll have an idea of what car you actually need.
    This is all sensible good advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ask yourself this question, what's easiest to learn to drive in. Something small and nimble and lots of visibility to pass the test in. You don't see driving instructors in big saloon cars.

Fiesta, Clio, Polo etc etc

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Ask yourself this question, what's easiest to learn to drive in. Something small and nimble and lots of visibility to pass the test in. You don't see driving instructors in big saloon cars.

Fiesta, Clio, Polo etc etc

If I went for one of these 3 what year should I look at? Obviously how much it's been driven before would come into it to.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i leraned to drive in an 84 fiesta and an 87 309, on bald tyres, if u can manage that you can manage to reverse an artic with two trailers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

My seventeen year old learned in a toyota rava 2l and got the test first time.

The gears in the bigger cars can be easier to use,I was told this when I started to drive.

I don't have anybody's insurance policy I can go on. It would be my own so I don't think 2l cars are the way to go. (Again my car knowledge is very limited)

I'm 5'6" too if that matters somebody mentioned height earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

Get the lessons first that way you learn everything right. I wouldn't buy a crazy expensive car for your first car. I would decide on what you would like to buy after the lessons that way you will already have a feel for what ever you learn in and will know if you would like a similar car or something a bit different or maybe bigger. A Vw Polo is a nice started car though and they hold their value well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Have you anyone to practice with outside the lessons? If not, and you're not willing to risk driving alone, there's no point buying a car til you've passed the test.

I got a Polo after 10 or so lessons and drove about in it solo for 6 months before passing the test. Bad role model, but the experience and familiarity of the car definitely helped in the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

SarahVOW wrote: »
    I don't have anybody's insurance policy I can go on. It would be my own so I don't think 2l cars are the way to go. (Again my car knowledge is very limited)

Don't forget that until you pass your test you are not allowed to drive on your own. You are supposed to be accompanied by someone with a full driving license.

• Advertisement

TPD wrote: »
    Have you anyone to practice with outside the lessons? If not, and you're not willing to risk driving alone, there's no point buying a car til you've passed the test.

I got a Polo after 10 or so lessons and drove about in it solo for 6 months before passing the test. Bad role model, but the experience and familiarity of the car definitely helped in the test.

Yes my boyfriend who I live with has a full driving licence for over 10 years and drives semi regularly but never had his own policy or car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Yes my boyfriend who I live with has a full driving licence for over 10 years and drives semi regularly but never had his own policy or car.

In that case, spend a few grand on a small engine polo, get as much practice in as you can, and buy something nicer in a couple of years.

My insurance went from 1400 on the learners permit to 950 on the full licence, 1.0lt 2001 Polo, 25 years old male, a year and a half ago. Back up near 1400 again this year, but that's another rant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I like the idea of you getting some driving lessons first. At least that way, when you go car shopping you'll be able to take it for a test drive and see what you think of it.

Do you have anyone in your life who you could bring along with you to look at cars? Your boyfriend? Or even a friend of his if he has any mechanic pals. When you're looking at older cars, there is a greater chance of something being wrong with them so you need to keep your eyes open. That's not to say there aren't decent older cars but be careful.

Being 5' 6" isn't going to make one bit of difference when it comes to driving. Even the most basic car seat can be adjusted for leg length. I think looking at a small car starting off is the best way to get started. If you're getting an older car, steer clear of Renaults. They had electrical issues during the 2000s and I know half a dozen people who had significant problems with their Renaults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

*Cough cough*

I've never understood the obsession with shoving learner drivers into a tiny car, but grand, wisdom of crowds, OP, ignore me, Volvo was apparently an insane idea.

Joshua J wrote: »
    *Cough cough*

So you're saying that even though he's never had his own insurance policy (he's been on his parents) us taking out the policy together would help?

Lads I have no clue

Do you have anyone in your life who you could bring along with you to look at cars? Your boyfriend? Or even a friend of his if he has any mechanic pals. When you're looking at older cars, there is a greater chance of something being wrong with them so you need to keep your eyes open. That's not to say there aren't decent older cars but be careful.

I do have somebody who's knows their stuff but I haven't said anything to them yet cause they'd get too excited about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Do the lessons first. find a good instructor, (aviva approved ones tend to be good from what I've heard also they used to get ya a discount with aviva for insurance) get plenty of lessons to get used to the instructors car, things like clutch biting points vary from car to car so its important to be aware of things like this.

Then when you have the test passed buy a nice handy sized car with a small engine (1.4 or under) and make sure its well up in the years. First time drivers trying to insure 15+ year old cars can forget about it. go for something simple and reliable preferably 2005 or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

If I went for one of these 3 what year should I look at? Obviously how much it's been driven before would come into it to.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/fiesta/used-2010-ford-fiesta-style-1-25-meath-fpa-201617243222365

i am biased because i drive one of these (this is not mine though almost identical) i think the fiesta is a lovely little car and nippy in the 1.25l

i am 32, have been driving more than a decade, bought one of these new in 2010 have never found it wanting on the motorway, have driven around france twice with mine heavily loaded.

there is a cheaper one with low enough mileage on the same site but it is the 3 door, i have a son so i find the 5 door more sensible

but as a lot of others say try some lessons first and see what you like, i wouldn't buy a car without being able to take it for a test drive, and if you are that much of a novice it might not be feasible.

I've decided to take all the required driving lessons and pass the test (hopefully) before buying. Thanks for all your suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I've never understood the obsession with shoving learner drivers into a tiny car, but grand, wisdom of crowds, OP, ignore me, Volvo was apparently an insane idea.

I learned to drive in my own 2l skoda octavia. Op don't let anyone sway you. And yes that was in Dublin and no my car didn't end up dinged and scratched. Get what you want op. Just be careful and listen on your lessons

With the price of petrol and rising car insurance, I dread to think what a 2.0l petrol car would cost a first time driver to insure and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

I learned to drive in my own 2l skoda octavia. Op don't let anyone sway you. And yes that was in Dublin and no my car didn't end up dinged and scratched. Get what you want op. Just be careful and listen on your lessons
    Fair point.
    What I'd say absolutely is don't buy a large car unless you've test driven it or a similar unit. Some big vehicles are harder to get around in than others (I drove a dog of some Opel MPV that I got given at a rental desk in Germany once, arrived at hotel car park very tired at about midnight, and discovered it was a real old place where carpark was incredibly tight and spaces at odd angles... no parking sensors, poor visibility, big lump of a vehicle and I'd have given anything for even a punto as it'd have gotten me out from behind the wheel with less effort!) That said, nicely put together large vehicles should be no deterrent, and ultimately it's about what works for you.

And I learned in an Avensis. I still can see that a large 2 liter Turbo petrol automatic as a first car for someone on a provisional license getting insurance under their own name might be a completely unnecessary large expense and a waste. Now if they had their license, confidence and a little bit of experience I'd say buy what you want or can afford. And let's not forget your large Octavia is a slightly longer Golf.

In this instance it's simply not good advice.

OP the best thing to do is pick a couple of different cars and get quotes. I'd generally stick to common cars for a first car as they tend to be less hassle to own and insure and easy enough to sell when the time comes. Clios, Yaris, Polo, Fabia, Golf, Auris, Focus would all be perfectly fine cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It was a good starter, have a 3l Quattro now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Those advising to do lessons and pass the test first before buying a car are you assuming that there's still some practice going on between lessons by getting insured on someone else's car ? Or do you think it's possible to pass the test based solely on the 12 lessons ?

I'd prefer to wait until I have a full licence before buying a car but everyone has told me the lessons are not enough. It even says it in the booklets that 3/4 hours practice should be done before each lesson. Problem is I don't live near friends or family where it's possible to be a named driver on someone else's car. I'd have to buy a car or just go for the test based on the 12 lessons or whatever extra lessons I do.

• Advertisement

In that case, do you have anyone you could bring along with you to buy a car and try it out for you? And then accompany you as you practice? In an ideal world, it would be better to be able to try the car yourself seeing as you're going to be paying through the nose for it. But it's not a dealbreaker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't forget that until you pass your test you are not allowed to drive on your own. You are supposed to be accompanied by someone with a full driving license.

You can pass your test and still only be on a learner permit. You have to receive the full license before you can drive unaccompanied without L-plates and under N-plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You can pass your test and still only be on a learner permit. You have to receive the full license before you can drive unaccompanied without L-plates and under N-plates.

If you pass your test, you're a full licence holder. Novice / N plate drivers are entitled to drive alone. They just can't act as an accompanying full licence driver for another learner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

alastair wrote: »
    If you pass your test, you're a full licence holder. Novice / N plate drivers are entitled to drive alone. They just can't act as an accompanying full licence driver for another learner.

Not until you have your license issued by the NDLS. The cert issued upon passing the test does not count. This is explicitly stated upon submitting a booking for the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

find farmer

put old car in their field

practice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd prefer to wait until I have a full licence before buying a car but everyone has told me the lessons are not enough. It even says it in the booklets that 3/4 hours practice should be done before each lesson. Problem is I don't live near friends or family where it's possible to be a named driver on someone else's car. I'd have to buy a car or just go for the test based on the 12 lessons or whatever extra lessons I do.
    I'm in the exact same boat, Thelomen. Plus I've taken lessons before and never bothered seeing them through, so I think I will have to bite the bullet and get a car to practice in so there's an incentive!
    After reading this, and a lot of other threads here on this forum, a 1.25L Fiesta or a VW Polo seem to be the way to go. :)

Any engine sizes/years of Polos better than others?
    My budget is 3-4k because I'd rather not splash mad cash on a first car!

Advertisement