Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike with passanger seat for elderly person

Options
  • 18-08-2016 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I want to take my aged mother on the new Deise Greenway, but she is too wobbly on her pins to cycle it herself. I have looked all over for something like the bike in the start of this Dutch video but I cant find anything.

https://www.facebook.com/lovethenetherlandsforever/videos/1124188397640491/

Ideally I would like to hire it for a day in Waterford. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

There's a page of them here

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/356839970447967031/

I hate Pinterest with a passion, but if you don't, you might find some leads on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

You want something like a Nihola Family as they are more readily available than bespoke mobility type bikes:

http://www.nihola.com/home.html

I'd highly recommend contacting Astrid at the Dutch Bike shop www.dutchbikeshop.ie, or there is also www.greenaer.ie

They are both involved in the Irish Cargobike championships and are really helpful when it comes to Cargobikes!

Green aer do allow trials of some bikes and The Dutch bike shop may also do hire - No harm giving them a ring and checking it out.

Edit:

The Dutch Bike shop actually have a rental option on their website:

http://dutchbikeshop.ie/cargo-bike-rental/

Edit again!:

Ability Ireland have links on their website relating to the mobility type cycle you mention so may be able to help if that is the only type that will fit the bill:

http://www.abilityireland.com/draisin-plus-wheelchair-cycle.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't know the Deise Greenway, but my first question to myself, as a cargo bike owner and trailer user, when looking at any route that isn't based on roads is "are there kissing gates on the route, and is there a detour to get around them if there are".

You know, these things:

063627_5afb09bb.jpg

The ones on bike routes are usually more rectangular than these, but they're about as impossible to get through on a longer or wider bike.

Good point; *gatehorror*.

Deise Greenway have a Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/deise.greenway/

Would it be possible to get together with a few people, and maybe even get some Council funding, to share the cost and the use of a wheelchair-bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I think renting one of the cargo bikes is a good idea. Get plenty of photos of the two of ye in it and get them online (if you're OK with that kind of thing). Failing that, would she be able to go on a tandem/

It might not help you, but it might inspire a bike rental shop in the Deise to buy one to rent out.

I know somebody in England who built something similar to this to bring his parents around in, but he needed two to cycle. This one below id for a velorail, but what he had was a bit lighter than this. It's essentially two MTB's welded together with a platform in the middle. Or you could always build a simple light "side car" like a motorbike for her.

v%C3%A9lo_rail_pr%C3%A9sentation.jpg

This isn't the clearest, but it gives you an idea. There's instructions available online for stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Would it be possible to get together with a few people, and maybe even get some Council funding, to share the cost and the use of a wheelchair-bike?

Looking at the cost of a new bike, this might be a a great idea. I will try that but I suspect they will push it out to the bike rental companies. I will see how it goes.

I have asked a Waterford rental shop if they have the like, hopefully they will eply in the positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You probably won't be able to get one of those wide bikes on to the deise greenway as there are gates a long the way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You probably won't be able to get one of those wide bikes on to the deise greenway as there are gates a long the way
    Of course there are.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you do succeed in getting a group together, it might be possible to persuade the Deise Greenway authorities to take the pretty but pretty unfeasible gates down along a specific section to be used for disabled cycling, or to edit the openings to make a wide side gate specifically to be used by these bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Chuchote wrote: »
    If you do succeed in getting a group together, it might be possible to persuade the Deise Greenway authorities to take the pretty but pretty unfeasible gates down along a specific section to be used for disabled cycling, or to edit the openings to make a wide side gate specifically to be used by these bikes.

i didnt think of this issue and im not even sure the council did either, it certainly wasnt mentioned at the public meeting. the greenway isnt finished yet, but i can think of one section that you could access with a wide bike as mentioned. there maybe others but im not sure what plans the council have for these access points, but i wouldnt be surprised if they put bollards and/or gates in that area. it was decided to put these gates in to prevent unwanted use of the greenway. apparently horses and traps have been spotted on sections that currently do not have gates.

• Advertisement

When the gates were mentioned I thought of drag races; didn't even occur to me to think of sulkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just came across this: (not sure if its suitable but maybe they might have suggestions for adult size bikes?)

http://www.abilityireland.com/piggy-24.htm

ahh...here you go! ( expensive though!)

http://www.abilityireland.com/captain-duo-tandem.htm

Made it at last.

38918510_1733309483464016_6332475995693514752_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1930d4b4d1089dd882f46a22d2d594cf&oe=5C086583

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

fair play, that's class.

Come up to Dublin for the pope's visit and make a fortune ferrying people to and from the Phoenix Park all day. Cost of bike recouped in no time :)

De Bhál wrote: »
    fair play, that's class.

Come up to Dublin for the pope's visit and make a fortune ferrying people to and from the Phoenix Park all day. Cost of bike recouped in no time :)
    These yolks cost about €10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

BlueSpud wrote: »
    These yolks cost about €10k.

you'll have to up the price a bit so and pedal faster...

seriously, 10 grand, wow

They are typically funded by county councils or companies, and used by nursing homes and old folks day care centres. Awesome machines.

See cyclingwithoutage

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

That's cool! Did you rent it or buy it?
    Is it electric?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was on the greenway recently and saw someone cycling a bike with 2 elderly folk sitting down near the front. I think they were covered too. It must be sort of ricksaw.

If it is 10 grand I presume it can hit 60km/hr on the flatter straight sections!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BlueSpud wrote: »
    Made it at last.

Savage. Did you rent that out. My mammy might be up for that!

• Advertisement

Rented, they are electric assisted and limited to 25km/hr

Advertisement