Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold and Tonsillitis

Options
  • 18-08-2016 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

My bathroom has been full of mold for January and it is now nearly September. My landlord said it is nothing though it is black and quickly spreading on top of the paint in the bathroom. He then gave me a long stick with a makeshift hook on it to open the ceiling window.

I keep asking for the mold to be removed and he says okay, only to not do anything. He does not mention the mold again unless I do, but nothing gets done.

My lungs have been hurting and I have pus on my tonsils along with sweating much more at night, rashes on my legs, cough, stomach pain.The doctor didn't diagnose me, just said it is common and gave me a pregnancy test(negative) and antibiotics. From checking my symptoms online and by Google images, I have Tonsillitis. I will try to find another doctor to help me out.

Tonsillitis can be caused by toxic mold so this makes sense. I never had such issues breathing before the mold in the bathroom got so bad. There seems to be mold spots under the paint in the bedroom which is forming more and more. Mold is in the kitchen, painted over as well.

I need out, but I can't just easily walk away as I am poor. I want my deposit back, not pay the month's rent, and scram. Is this possible? I can only see it possible if I get a mold test on the samples from the bathroom. Are they expensive?

Can a doctor find out if any health issues I've had here is linked to the mold? I never been so lethargic and out of breathe before.

Note: I contacted the tenancy board and they said I can set up a day of mediation with my landlord in attempt to agree on him fixing the black colored mold overtaking the bathroom. This seems ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is extremely difficult to pin a diagnosis on mould. Generally, mould growth is down to the habits/practices of the inhabitants of the house - although no ability to open the window does give you an excuse there.

Why haven't you just cleaned the mould away yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 frolic

At first, I could easily smudge it off, but over time it spread faster and higher. I told him the moment it started so he said open all my windows and keep the bathroom door open when I shower. The intense spread within the bathroom and mold formation in other rooms prompted him to finally give me the hook for the ceiling window in May. It was months of me badgering him. He said the hooks are expensive in the store so that he was going to make one is why I never bothered getting a very long ladder or finding a place to get a long sticked hook.

Board will allow picture sharing after 25 posts. When I get there, I'll add pics.

Oh, and thank you for your swift reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to clean mould with bleach, not just wipe spores away.

Considering he finds hooks that are about 2.50 for 2 (http://www.diy.com/departments/rothley-plastic-coated-red-steel-screw-in-hook-pack-of-2/192729_BQ.prd) 'expensive', don't expect him to clean it properly if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PedroDublin

HG Mould remover, you can buy it on a DIY shop for a tenner. I used that when mould starts accumulating, it eliminates it instantly, doesn't damage the wall paint, and you are mould free untill the next winter.

I think is an easy and cheap solution, as opposed to a battle with your LL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

frolic wrote: »
    At first, I could easily smudge it off, but over time it spread faster and higher. I told him the moment it started so he said open all my windows and keep the bathroom door open when I shower. The intense spread within the bathroom and mold formation in other rooms prompted him to finally give me the hook for the ceiling window in May. It was months of me badgering him. He said the hooks are expensive in the store so that he was going to make one is why I never bothered getting a very long ladder or finding a place to get a long sticked hook.

Board will allow picture sharing after 25 posts. When I get there, I'll add pics.

Oh, and thank you for your swift reply.

Does the bathroom not have an extractor? You need to remove the mole with bleach and then ensure that there's an extractor running for a very long period after you use the shower irrespective of whether you like he sound or not (a common reason why people turn them off). Even if you have to leave the extractor on all day, you should do this. Mold likes a nice damp environment. If you don't eliminate it, all your other efforts will be in vain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

1-Clean away area with detail wipes and then dry
    2-use HG mould spray, spay and leave for an hour-the clean
    3-if some still there repeat step 2 and use toothbrush
    4-repeat step 1

This was shown to me by a tenant and it works wonders but the secret is (as well as proper ventilation) to wipe the area once a week with a wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

All the above posts are very helpful.
    My concern would be your health, the landlord didn't attempt to help and didn't commit to make the house mold free, I consider this to be the landlord's responsibility.

I would check with a solicitor/citizen info to see what action you can take and whether you can sue him in a court regarding his negligence to your health and to the mold in the house he's renting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

alwald wrote: »
    All the above posts are very helpful.
    My concern would be your health, the landlord didn't attempt to help and didn't commit to make the house mold free, I consider this to be the landlord's responsibility....

If there is a building problem, like a leak or ventilation. Then its the LL problem. But most of the time I've seen mould its due to the person living in the house.

You would be want to be sure which it is, before going down a potentially very expensive legal route.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement