Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrangeas

Options
  • 18-08-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi, just checking if anyone can help, my Hydrangeas didn't flower this year and the leaves have started to go very dark....any suggestions as to what I should do with it, leave it and see what happens, prune it right back or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

jrby wrote: »
    Hi, just checking if anyone can help, my Hydrangeas didn't flower this year and the leaves have started to go very dark....any suggestions as to what I should do with it, leave it and see what happens, prune it right back or something else?

How old is it?

Generally I prune mine right back when all the blossoms are gone and the next year they all shoot back up. Mine's a couple (15?) Years old and that seems to have worked so far. I picked some load of snail's off them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

about 6 years old in our garden, not sure how old it was before then.....

when I say it didn't flower, it tried to, but it kind of came out dead or the flowers didn't develop (not sure how to describe it), and the same happened to two other hydrangeas as well....

I was thinking it was either weather related or I didn't feed it properly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

jrby wrote: »
    about 6 years old in our garden, not sure how old it was before then.....

when I say it didn't flower, it tried to, but it kind of came out dead or the flowers didn't develop (not sure how to describe it), and the same happened to two other hydrangeas as well....

I was thinking it was either weather related or I didn't feed it properly.....
    What are you feeding it? Too much dark green foliage would suggest too much nitrogen in the fertiliser. Try one that's higher in phosphorous. The weather did no favours this year and could be a contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

just some general all purpose plant food.....leaves weren't dark green, more black and diseased looking......but not sure, as the rest of the plants are doing ok.....

any thoughts I want I should do with it, cut it right back and take the hit next year on it flowering, or cut it back to the nearest bud, and depending on option, whats the best timing.

its looking quite unsightly at the moment, and its normally a focus for the garden.....

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

I could do with some advice too, my hydrangeas fell over this year and I am never sure when or how much to prune!

• Advertisement
Advertisement