Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EBS - buy to let

Options
  • 18-08-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I have a buy to let property with EBS and got a letter from them today to say there has been an error with the interest rates and they are reducing it from4.8% to 1.5%! Of course I am delighted about this but unsure about what the likely outcome will be. They said that it will take a few months to sort it out. Has anyone any idea what the likely outcome might be? I have a mortgage of about 150k. Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move it to a more relevant thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

appleb wrote: »
    I have a buy to let property with EBS and got a letter from them today to say there has been an error with the interest rates and they are reducing it from4.8% to 1.5%! Of course I am delighted about this but unsure about what the likely outcome will be. They said that it will take a few months to sort it out. Has anyone any idea what the likely outcome might be? I have a mortgage of about 150k. Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move it to a more relevant thread.

Did you have a pre-crash tracker that they took off you at some point? 1.5% is seriously good.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

No, I never had a tracker. It was interest only for the first 5 years and for the past 6 years, I have been paying over €1250 per month , which has now dropped to just over €1000. This is quite a substantial drop. Just wondering if I am going to get a big refund. Not wanting to get too excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,901 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you been using the interest as an expense against tax on the income? Expect to have to pay a substantial amount of the refund to Revenue

Yeah, I expect a lot will go to revenue. However, anything is a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 billymc1

any update on the ebs mortgage redress ?

• Advertisement

I have heard nothing since. Anybody else heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

If they were charging you the wrong interest rate then you would be due money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fender543

Hi,

Got this letter also two months ago, nothing since.
    I have not contacted a solicitor yet but I think its the best option.

Great to have the boot on the other foot this time.

Has anyone else contacted a solicitor yet ?

Never crossed my mind to contact a solicitor. I was just planning to wait and see how it all plays out and take it from there. Maybe we should join forces - strength in numbers and all that! Anyone else out there??

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Got one of those letters myself.Interest rate has now been adjusted to 1.25 per cent happy days.Took the mortgage out in 2005 at variable rate and cant understand where this tracker rate /adjustment/compensation is coming from.Moved into the property about 4 years ago and notified the bank maybe its something to do with this .
    willing to sit tight and find out in November as stated in the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Can't believe that EBS would have sent out this letter without there being something big behind it. There must have been something in the original contract about tracker rates. If I'd received this letter (wish I had!) Id be going through the contracts with a fine toothcomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

There was a case recently enough, I know one of the Barristers involved. I've not caught up with him of late, given I've not seen him recently I'm assuming it went rather well! :pac:

Just a quick update .got a letter from the ebs today ,saying that they were still investigating the matter and will get back in touch in the new year.
    very disappointed .

I got a letter yesterday to say I would hear in December or January. Anyone any idea how much we are likely to get back? I know it will depend on the amount of mortgage etc. But some rough idea per €1000 borrowed??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tippbiffo

My wife had a right go at them yesterday. We originally took out this buy to let mortgage 10 years ago as a poor punt for a long term investment. We understand that it was a risk that went wrong on us but the EBS have literary put our life on hold trying to pay back the mortgage under the wrong interest rate. We thought it would be sorted this month but it's now dragging onto the new year. With the amount that we will get back I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Affy

We got a letter earlier this week too which added nothing to the August letter....except to say we are now to wait until Dec/Jan. If the shoe were on the other foot, we would not be able to stall the EBS the way they are stalling with us - and they have NO idea of the impact this has had over the years.
    Appleb thank you for the original post - it was so nice to see it on a Google search, even if we are all in the same boat.
    Btw has anybody sought legal advice? We spoke to a solicitor briefly in September and he said wait until the November letter arrives. Don't know what he'll say this time!! I was thinking of contacting the likes of New Beginning too though they may just be interested in Owner Occupier cases. Whatever I hear back, I'll post here to share.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Affy wrote: »
    We got a letter earlier this week too which added nothing to the August letter....except to say we are now to wait until Dec/Jan. If the shoe were on the other foot, we would not be able to stall the EBS the way they are stalling with us - and they have NO idea of the impact this has had over the years.
    Appleb thank you for the original post - it was so nice to see it on a Google search, even if we are all in the same boat.
    Btw has anybody sought legal advice? We spoke to a solicitor briefly in September and he said wait until the November letter arrives. Don't know what he'll say this time!! I was thinking of contacting the likes of New Beginning too though they may just be interested in Owner Occupier cases. Whatever I hear back, I'll post here to share.....

Ask bank to see your bank files via the FOI. I say it will be interesting to see your bank files to see what their internal files ie it will show what they have been saying/doing on your files

You might be entitled to redress for overcharging. Most of the other banks have been giving customers compensation for overcharging. I would very careful to incase you sign away the right to sue in return for your overcharging

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Ask bank to see your bank files via the FOI.

It's a data protection request.

just had a look at my mortgage account and see 8500 sitting there with b d ref adj as the reference.this is on a 150000 mortgage.am delighted but confused as I only got the letter about the delay last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Boy_le

I had a buy to let property which I purchased in 06..... I since had to sell the property in 2013 due to not being able to afford the mortgage.... now today I get a phone call from the ebs regarding the mortgage they informed me that I was on a tracker mortgage but was getting charged the wrong rate..... I sold the property on their advice basically they told me to sell it and I was told by them to kick out my tenants and sell up, which I did.. I ended up selling at a massive loss that I was liable for... Depending on the rate I should have been on I figure I might have been able to sustain the mortgage repayments...Did anyone else encounter this problem or can anyone advise me on this thanks

• Advertisement

Boy_le wrote: »
    I had a buy to let property which I purchased in 06..... I since had to sell the property in 2013 due to not being able to afford the mortgage.... now today I get a phone call from the ebs regarding the mortgage they informed me that I was on a tracker mortgage but was getting charged the wrong rate..... I sold the property on their advice basically they told me to sell it and I was told by them to kick out my tenants and sell up, which I did.. I ended up selling at a massive loss that I was liable for... Depending on the rate I should have been on I figure I might have been able to sustain the mortgage repayments...Did anyone else encounter this problem or can anyone advise me on this thanks

I would stop speaking to them immediately. I would apply for a data protection request which will get you all your files and then find a good solicitor. This is not legal advice but looking at the fact you suffered a loss you might be entitled to compensation. By compo I mean decent compensation for the loss you suffered and not the token amount that other banks are offering

They said that they were going to write out to me this month should I wait to see what the letter says before I get legal advice

They said that they were going to write out to me this month should I wait to see what the letter says before I get legal advice

I would seek legal advice immediately .I think they will be liable for all legal and financial advice you receive up to a certain amount .i went in today and was told as much.
    To add to the circus ebs are creating.the money was taken out of my account again but at least I know the ball park figure I will be getting back.

Ask for the data protection request now. I will hazard a guess their letter and the compo will ask you to waive your right to sue them for redress.

Any suggestions on who to approach for legal advice that would have a lot of experience in this area? I just think our solicitor is more experienced in property conveyancing than this sort of thing.

Also, I'm a little sceptical of the Data Protection process...do they not just do a bit of "spring cleaning" and only send you what they want you to see? Once we asked them to resend us a letter that they had sent us but that we had lost and they denied it had ever existed! By chance we found the letter a couple of years later but it has made me very wary.

Would it be better to get legal advice before going FOI / data protection route? Really not sure where to begin but feel we need to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Legal advice or on thread recommendations of individuals or companies may not be given on here alas.

Mod

athtrasna wrote: »
    Legal advice or on thread recommendations of individuals or companies may not be given on here alas.

Mod

That's a pity, but fair enough!

Hi guys. I got a document today outlining the redress etc and a cheque included. It actually was substantially more than I expected. I really am not sure what I should do now. do I just grab it and run or is there value in obtaining legal advice? :)If there are others out there in a similar situation, would it be worth joining forces and seeing what we should do? Anyone interested, please PM me

Did they explain in the letter any terms or conditions of the redress......did they show you the dates from when they started to over charge you? ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Considering these are buy to let and you've been charged higher interest (which you've deducted 75% on your tax return if renting them out) and have now been refunded, I'd be speaking to someone on any tax implications for previous returns.

Advertisement