Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repurpose a router as a switch

Options
  • 18-08-2016 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi,

Is it possible to repurpose an old eircom ZyXEL router as a mini switch? And if so how?

I have a couple lying around, and I need to be able to plug in two old(ish) devices to one ethernet port.

If I can't do that, I'll get a cheap switch (PC World I assume will sell these)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did try to search the forum!

Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you just want the 2 devices to talk to each other, just plug them in and ensure "get IP address automatically" is selected in network adapter properties, or set statically in same subnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes.

Disable DHCP, disable wireless (unless you want to set them up as access points). Then just connect them using any 2-4 of the ethernet ports. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Yeah you can use it as a normal switch. But you will need something else on the network to use as DHCP server, as with most of those DSL routers you cannot stop them from handing out their own IP address as the LAN gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi, yes I have a dhcp server already on the network.

So , I plug a patch cable from the wall network point into the first port on the router, then the other two PCs into the other ports, after dialing disabling dhcp & wireless..... Sounds simple enough!

Great to be able to reuse old stuff

Thanks a million!

Edited to say, this has worked a treat!!! Thanks again.

Speeds

Advertisement