Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freshers 2016

• 18-08-2016 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I figured now that results are out and offers are only around the corner that I'd start this thread for all of us heading to DCU.
    I'm feeling nervous, anxious and excited to start. I'm going to be doing Applied Language and Translation. Thankfully I have accommodation sorted at shanowen square but I'm a little scared because I'm living with all second years! If I get offered campus I might still consider just for the fact that I'll be with other first years.
    So what course is everyone doing? Do you have accommodation sorted? How are you feeling about college overall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

I'm not getting my hopes up that much on actually getting in. I want to do Computer Applications, which the points requirements were 405 last year and I ended up getting 410. I'd imagine it's gonna go up by 10-15 points so I probably won't be getting in. Though I did quality for HEAR to get in on reduced points, but who knows. I am excited to start Uni, happy to make a change. Hopefully it'll be with DCU but we'll see. Sounds like you're confident on getting in, congrats and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

Vilas wrote: »
    I'm not getting my hopes up that much on actually getting in. I want to do Computer Applications, which the points requirements were 405 last year and I ended up getting 410. I'd imagine it's gonna go up by 10-15 points so I probably won't be getting in. Though I did quality for HEAR to get in on reduced points, but who knows. I am excited to start Uni, happy to make a change. Hopefully it'll be with DCU but we'll see. Sounds like you're confident on getting in, congrats and good luck!

Yeah I'm 100+ points above my course so I've no reason to worry really, I'll be worrying and hoping for my friends though as if I was their mammy! Well done on your results and best of luck with offers, I hope everything works out :)

currooney wrote: »
    Yeah I'm 100+ points above my course so I've no reason to worry really, I'll be worrying and hoping for my friends though as if I was their mammy! Well done on your results and best of luck with offers, I hope everything works out :)

My friends are off to Maynooth (my 2nd choice that I will definitely get if not DCU) and they will easily get their course. Nobody else that I know is going to DCU, so you're quite lucky! Kind of intimidating going in on my own, but sure I'll be grand. More room for friends I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 atomicsunshine

Also hoping to do ALTS this September I got 415 so fingers crossed the course doesn't jump 30ish points :P really looking forward to it, slightly intimidated learning yet another language from scratch though (Japanese)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Yea for ALTS students \o/ I'm a graduate of that course so if yous have any questions or anything let me know!

• Advertisement

Oh hey Kon :D I have seen you in the dcu and languages forums, I certainly will be asking questions once orientation starts haha

Also hoping to do ALTS this September I got 415 so fingers crossed the course doesn't jump 30ish points :P really looking forward to it, slightly intimidated learning yet another language from scratch though (Japanese)

I'll be doing Japanese too along with Spanish :) I'm sure I'll be seeing you in September, I doubt it'll jump that much!

My friends are off to Maynooth (my 2nd choice that I will definitely get if not DCU) and they will easily get their course. Nobody else that I know is going to DCU, so you're quite lucky! Kind of intimidating going in on my own, but sure I'll be grand. More room for friends I suppose.

My friends are going everywhere bar DCU so I'm in the same boat of not knowing anyone, it's kind of terrifying

Konata wrote: »
    Yea for ALTS students \o/ I'm a graduate of that course so if yous have any questions or anything let me know!

Can I ask what the hours are like for the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Can I ask what the hours are like for the course?

It's a few years since I was in first year but you're looking at approximately 20 hours a week. Be about the same for 2nd year and then in 4th year it drops a fair bit - think I had 12-14ish hours in semester 1 and then only 6 hours a week in semester 2. 4th year obviously requires an absolute ton of independent work though!

• Advertisement

Also, same here as you guys, no one that I know is going to DCU so its a fresh start for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Birbaosb152

I got offered business DC111 in dcu today. I don't have accomadation sorted yet. When will we know for campus?

Much to my surprise I actually got my course! Absolutely delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Birbaosb152

What did you get?

Congrats Vilas :D Same here

SALIS Better prepare themselves

What did you get?

Computer Applications!

Thanks atomicsunshine, and well done to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

Computer Applications!

May have told you this before as I've already told someone on this site but I'm starting Computer Apps myself this year as well :cool:

Look forward to seeing you!

Giotar wrote: »
    May have told you this before as I've already told someone on this site but I'm starting Computer Apps myself this year as well :cool:

Look forward to seeing you!

Yes I do remember you! Congrats on getting in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Computer Applications!

Well done dude, I just finished first year. If you don't have any experience I'd suggest learning a bit (a lot actually! it can be quite fun) of python before you start (learnpython.org, codeacademy.com). I had a fair amount of programming (java) before I started and it helped me immensely but so many others were left scratching their head, once you fall behind its very hard to catch back up!! (Just over 50% passed their summer exams)

Good luck dude and enjoy it, might see you around next year!! :pac:

Well done dude, I just finished first year. If don't have any experience I'd suggest learning a bit (a lot actually! it can be quite fun) of python before you start (learnpython.org, codeacademy.com). I had a fair amount of programming (java) before I started and it helped me immensely but so many others were left scratching their head, once you fall behind its very hard to catch back up!! (Just over 50% passed their summer exams)

Good luck dude and enjoy it, might see you around next year!! :pac:

Thanks man. I've got a bit of JavaScript and HTML practiced just to get familiar with how coding works. I've been talking with some other students who had done CA and despite having no experience in coding prior they got on fine. I'm not really worried, always been a fast learner, especially with computers. See you around!

• Advertisement

Which societies are people thinking of joining?

Japanese Society and French society definitely otherwise I'll have to see during freshers week

Media Production Society since I've been set on that since almost two years ago when I first started researching Colleges. Then Redbrick since it compliments my course.

I'll probably join Japanese society too and then another one to give myself the chance to mix with people outside of my course, maybe Amnesty but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Laurenx1

Im going to be doing General Nursing at DCU :)) Im also nervous but im sure we will all be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 niallois

Anyone here any insight into the Orientation week? In particular the first two days. They are billed as two days of team activities. For context, Im a mature student and working full time up until classes start. Is this kinda thing aimed at those coming from secondary school? Doesn't sound like its worth getting the days off to attend

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ZweiWing

Which societies are people thinking of joining?
    Japanese Society and possibly Anime and Manga group, if I have enough time!

Advertisement