Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ozmo wrote: »
    Thanks - thats most useful...
    But to be clear - I'm just saying i don't want to buy a second older AMD processor that i will use to just flash the board and then throw it away - seems a waste.

Was hoping there would be a motherboard that will work with 5600x out of the box or that the motherboard is flashable via usb, serial or ttl interface or other from a regular (but intel) pc.

Thanks.

There are a fair few MB's that have bios flashback. I know Gigabyte 100% do anyway as I own one. They allow bios flashback without CPU. You put the bios on a USB stick and it flashes. Other board makers also have this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I can recommend the MSI x570 tomahawk wifi arsenal..it has bios flashback and it is very highly regarded.
    I have bought a few recently and they work out at about 220 euros each delivered
    just check out some reviews below
    https://www.techspot.com/review/2020-msi-x570-tomahawk/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD65w5RVmtY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

x570 is a waste for people who won't need so many PCIe lanes and connectivity.

B550 is more than good enough for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Any opinions about Asus x570 TUF? Thinking about replacing my current x470 with it. Looking for something around 200€.

Get a MSI Tomahawk WiFi from Amazon Germany instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Get a MSI Tomahawk WiFi from Amazon Germany instead.

This one? The Amazon UK is similar price, 258 vs 256. Or is there another version?
    Blood it would be, hopefully, long lasting upgrade. Don't mind paying the extra now than replace mobo later again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,391 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BloodBath wrote: »
    x570 is a waste for people who won't need so many PCIe lanes and connectivity.

B550 is more than good enough for most people.

I ho and hummed about it but went X570. The board I had also has a massive heat spreader for 3x m.2's so it's really not infeasible to think that will be an upgrade path. 21 Watts baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

This one? The Amazon UK is similar price, 258 vs 256. Or is there another version?
    Blood it would be, hopefully, long lasting upgrade. Don't mind paying the extra now than replace mobo later again.

Just get this. It's more than enough board unless you're trying to get Extreme overclocking on a 5950x or something. There's a €30 rebate at the moment too which makes it even cheaper. It's a very good board, especially for the price.

https://m.cclonline.com/product/320506/MPG-B550-GAMING-PLUS/Motherboards/MSI-MPG-B550-GAMING-PLUS-AMD-Socket-AM4-B550-Chipset-ATX-Motherboard/MBD2856/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh didn't see they went up in price.

Get the ASUS TUF at €200 or consider a €150 B550 mobo.

Any opinions about Asus x570 TUF? Thinking about replacing my current x470 with it. Looking for something around 200€.

I have had 3 ASUS motherboards, 2 of them are on hand, and 2 of them were TUF Boards, the Sabertooth lineup. No complaints. They did come with a manufacturers QA certificate for pretty rigorous testing. I've heard hearsay of bad CSR experiences with ASUS but since they've never given me a product that needed customer service I can't say I've ever had to test that.

I splurged a little because the X570 Asrock Taichi was on sale and had a beefy multi m.2 heat spreader, but for under $200 the TUF X570 is my top pick.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Figured I wouldn’t get involved in this gen but seeing that 5600x.

Only got a 3600 last December. Fair play to AMD. Offering genuine generational steps prices at a point it makes you consider it

You could sell that 2nd hand pretty reasonably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Im all Bios'ed up in preparation. Easier than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Overheal wrote: »
    You could sell that 2nd hand pretty reasonably.

Mine went up for 160, gone inside an hour.

I ho and hummed about it but went X570. The board I had also has a massive heat spreader for 3x m.2's so it's really not infeasible to think that will be an upgrade path. 21 Watts baby!

That's the main advantage, if you wanna go all out with NVME drives. 2 is probably more than enough for most people though and B550 will do 2 PCIe4.0 NVME's by reducing the GPU lanes down to 8 which is fast enough for the current best cards.

Next gen top end cards will probably see decent gains on x16 though cutting you down to 1 so ye are probably right getting x570 if you upgrade to top end often enough.

DDR5 is coming next year though and there might be a new socket for next gen Ryzens and DDR5 so you might need a board upgrade anyway.

That's the main advantage, if you wanna go all out with NVME drives. 2 is probably more than enough for most people though and B550 will do 2 by reducing the GPU lanes down to 8 which is fast enough for the current best cards.

Next gen top end cards will probably see decent gains on x16 though cutting you down to 1 so ye are probably right getting x570 if you upgrade to top end often enough.

DDR5 is coming next year though and there might be a new socket for next gen Ryzens and DDR5 so you might need a board upgrade anyway.

That's why I think going 570 is more future proof, or at least a little bit.
    Mine went up for 160, gone inside an hour.

Was thinking about it :D

That's the main advantage, if you wanna go all out with NVME drives. 2 is probably more than enough for most people though and B550 will do 2 PCIe4.0 NVME's by reducing the GPU lanes down to 8 which is fast enough for the current best cards.

Was also thinking about running in x8 because Gamers Nexus did the analysis for the 3080 and it was like a 0-3% difference in performance, vs eg. running an NVME raid array or just having expansion room. It was for sure the reason to set PCIe 4 as a must for the build.

I'd like to see how it works with Smart Access Memory though - for that reason, the PCIe 4 bridge to the CPU may really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Hi guys, new here. I had a PC ordered from CyberPower UK (I live across the pond) and cancelled the order when I saw the AMD launch.

It was to be an Intel i7 10700kf with 32 GB 3200 RAM and an MSI RTX 3070 (which I managed to buy on the launch day). The 8GB VRAM didn’t sit right with me once I saw AMD were launching new GPU’s with 16GB VRAM.

I haven’t had a Radeon card since the ATI days and I’ve always been in the green and blue camp since then. I’m waiting for the AMD GPU launch later in the month so I can start making some comparisons.

Rage mode interests me, hopefully it’s not just a gimmick but if AMD are as good as everyone appears to be saying, I’ll be doing my first red build once stock becomes available.

All going well I will probably go for the AMD 5800x and the Radeon 6800 with a B550 Tomahawk board or similar. This is my first build in around 8 years or so. I’ll be coming from a dual core i5 and an nVidia GTX 750ti so expecting a massive leap forward. Got my new 1440p 144hz gaming monitor ready to go.

Anyway regarding the AMD Ryzen 5800x, does anyone know if AMD has addressed the single core latency that appeared to be a weak spot in previous chips? I use a DAW for audio recording and play guitar through VST software so single core latency (for ASIO) is an important factor. As well as 1440p gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Incorrect! This is slightly misleading. The B550 chipset is not capable of PCIe 4.0, only 3.0.
    You can have only one PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive on most B550 boards, in the slot connected directly to the CPU. The second slot is usually connected to the chipset, and is 3.0 only.

As noted by BloodBath, there are some B550 boards that do allow more than one m.2 PCIe 4.0 drive. Read the fine print of your chosen motherboard.

Hi guys, new here. I had a PC ordered from CyberPower UK (I live across the pond) and cancelled the order when I saw the AMD launch.

It was to be an Intel i7 10700kf with 32 GB 3200 RAM and an MSI RTX 3070 (which I managed to buy on the launch day). The 8GB VRAM didn’t sit right with me once I saw AMD were launching new GPU’s with 16GB VRAM.

I haven’t had a Radeon card since the ATI days and I’ve always been in the green and blue camp since then. I’m waiting for the AMD GPU launch later in the month so I can start making some comparisons.

Rage mode interests me, hopefully it’s not just a gimmick but if AMD are as good as everyone appears to be saying, I’ll be doing my first red build once stock becomes available.

All going well I will probably go for the AMD 5800x and the Radeon 6800 with a B550 Tomahawk board or similar. This is my first build in around 8 years or so. I’ll be coming from a dual core i5 and an nVidia GTX 750ti so expecting a massive leap forward. Got my new 1440p 144hz gaming monitor ready to go.

Anyway regarding the AMD Ryzen 5800x, does anyone know if AMD has addressed the single core latency that appeared to be a weak spot in previous chips? I use a DAW for audio recording and play guitar through VST software so single core latency (for ASIO) is an important factor. As well as 1440p gaming.

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Impressive, a simple architectural change that can make a huge difference.

According to some 1080p gaming benchmarks between the i7 10700k and the 6800x using a beefy GPU like the RTX 2080 TI, which makes the CPU the bottleneck at this resolution, the FPS gains are around 5 percent which is a pretty compelling selling point. If coupling with an AMD 6000 series GPU and tuning RAGE mode on can squeeze a bit more FPS then it may just be worth the slightly higher cost.

In the audio world If I can drop the ASIO buffer size for reduced audio recording latency too then I’m in for a winning combination!

Now I just need to wait a month or two for the Big Navi and inevitable scalping to settle down.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Incorrect! The B550 chipset is not capable of PCIe 4.0, only 3.0.
    You can have only one PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive on B550 boards, in the slot connected directly to the CPU. The second slot is connected to the chipset, and is 3.0 only.

Some of the boards have it. Some B550 boards can even run 3 x PCIe gen 4 SSD's but like I said by halving the speed of the GPU lane to x8 instead of x16.

cVRSMGqPcmXTs3T87CiGrJ-970-80.jpg

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-b550-aorus-master-motherboard-pcie-4

• Advertisement

That’s a decent board for having three heat shields for m.2. Most only have 1, mine has what looks to be a monoblock that could be a bear to do upgrades with:

13-157-883-V12[1].jpg

“2 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4 x4 & SATA3), 1 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4 x4)”

What’s the difference?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That’s a decent board for having three heat shields for m.2. Most only have 1, mine has what looks to be a monoblock that could be a bear to do upgrades with:

“2 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4 x4 & SATA3), 1 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4 x4)”

What’s the difference?

Is it not PCI-E mode m.2 drives, vs SATA mode m.2 drives? So no SATA mode support on the latter.

Oh well I won't need sata mode if I just go forward with NVME drives right

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Looks like I'll be ordering another kit of Viper ram so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Some of the boards have it. Some B550 boards can even run 3 x PCIe gen 4 SSD's but like I said by halving the speed of the GPU lane to x8 instead of x16.

What I said is still true: the PCIe 4.0 lanes all come from the CPU, and the B550 chipset doesn't have any.

That particular board is connecting three m.2 slots and a GPU slot all to the CPU, and none to the chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Looks like I'll be ordering another kit of Viper ram so.

Watched that this morning. Only tested 8GB modules. The other guy he speaks about says 2 x 16gb is still the best in his view.

Thought about it, then I thought about spending another $180 on RAM and said no thanks, for all of a 5% performance jump.

Already went out of my way to get 4 Ghz RAM which, according to these tests, would perform worse (?!) than 3200 and 3600 RAM even when in 1:1:1

It's just something nice to keep in mind when expanding the ram down the road.

.G. wrote: »
    Watched that this morning. Only tested 8GB modules. The other guy he speaks about says 2 x 16gb is still the best in his view.

In one of HardwareUnboxed videos they did confirm in comments that 2x16 gave the same results like 4x8. Would be nice to just add another 2x8 instead of buying new 2x16 set.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

My 5600X was stolen so they've refunded me. Obviously done in the warehouse as well as the outer box was fully sealed. They say it was only fulfilled by them by it says sold by Amazon on my screen. Absolutely livid. I've ordered a 3100 to tide me over. They've said I can return it when done but there was bit of a language barrier so they better not give me any hassle.

Had a feeling on this one dont know why.

Now the monitor I was going to order to cheer myself up is out of stock...

First world problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

My 5600X was stolen so they've refunded me. Obviously done in the warehouse as well as the outer box was fully sealed. They say it was only fulfilled by them by it says sold by Amazon on my screen. Absolutely livid. I've ordered a 3100 to tide me over. They've said I can return it when done but there was bit of a language barrier so they better not give me any hassle.

Had a feeling on this one dont know why.

Now the monitor I was going to order to cheer myself up is out of stock...

First world problems.

I certainly can sympathise with you..my 5950x which was shipped is currently missing in the ether that is DHL..i have a 5800x and 5900x ordered with scan (for client builds)that are now on pre order even though i got confirmation that they were not pre orders.
    now i order a pc case from caseking.de that was in stock..the second i bought it,they emailed me to say its not in stock but still took payment..I wont even mention the 3080 im in a queue for since launch..all in all i have about 3k in etailers accounts for stuff i have not received yet..I hate 2020

Advertisement