Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

All those numbers have reduced but they said they only got 30 of the 5600x. Strange.

Cancellations I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

.G. wrote: »
    All those numbers have reduced but they said they only got 30 of the 5600x. Strange.

Cancellations I suppose

I spoke to a phone chimp in scan this afternoon..and he said that "because they have more than one supply agent for AMD products they could have more incomings this week of every AMD sku"

I was wrong in thinking then they were only getting the chips directly from AMD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Thank you, Scan!
    Your bundle will be dispatched before the end of the week and we'll keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

The rif6 projector setup is legit the coolest thing I've ever seen in a build.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 batmansDad

Can someone explain the benefits of going for a 5900x vs 3900x(t)

From what I have read/watched the architecture is improved and gives ~20% performance increase (at ~40% price difference)

One gain I did see is that the new AMD GPU's will have direct memory access with the 5000 series cards, but the card I have right now is nvidia.

Beyond this 20% gain, I'm curious is there anything else? Im completing a new build right now and torn between getting a 5900x or 3900x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

batmansDad wrote: »

From what I have read/watched the architecture is improved and gives ~20% performance increase (at ~40% price difference)

One gain I did see is that the new AMD GPU's will have direct memory access with the 5000 series cards, but the card I have right now is nvidia.

Beyond this 20% gain, I'm curious is there anything else? Im completing a new build right now and torn between getting a 5900x or 3900x.

if the CPU is 20% cheaper to boot I'd get the 3900X if you're not advantaging the RDNA2 benefits. Other than what you mention it should (sometime next year pending BIOS updates) handle faster fabric clock speeds. RN its pretty unstable past 1800 Mhz but AMD has said Zen3 will work optimally once the fabric can get to 2000 Mhz and paired with 4000 Mhz RAM for 1:1:1 performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Missed out on 5800X stock on Amazon earlier... bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

batmansDad wrote: »

Really depends on what you intend using it for. The 3900x is a great chip for editing, most work etc. But if you plan on using it for stuff like gaming, then the 5800x might be worth a look. I's close to the 3900x in work type stuff. But much faster in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

About that faster RAM, doesn't appear to net you much IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Scan updates this morning very disheartening...they were expecting a big shipment this week and they only got 40 5800x significantly less than they expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Scan updates this morning very disheartening...they were expecting a big shipment this week and they only got 40 5800x significantly less than they expected.

Im gonna wait till next year, not in a hurry as 2600 is still enough for me.
    Just hope to get nice x570 on black friday.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Im gonna wait till next year, not in a hurry as 2600 is still enough for me.
    Just hope to get nice x570 on black friday.

I should have done the same, hopefully learnt my lesson for the 6800 launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

overclockers is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Got a 5600x direct from Amazon a few mins ago and a gtx3070 yesterday from following a Discord server

If anyone is interested try it out here

https://discord.gg/stockdrops

Bugger missed again!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,170 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kingtiger wrote: »
    Got a 5600x direct from Amazon a few mins ago and a gtx3070 yesterday from following a Discord server

If anyone is interested try it out here

https://discord.gg/stockdrops

Out of interest did the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Processor come available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Headshot wrote: »

Didn't see any when I was looking, but then again I only setup an alert for a 5600x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Headshot wrote: »

Nope. I have stock alerts for Amazon for both 5900X and 5950X and did not get notified.

See links on this page, if you want to set these up. Be aware that Amazon will email you regardless of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Interesting video pitting 10600k vs 5600X both highly tuned(overclock and high memory) and only one game RDR 2 where intel wins. Stock 5600X wins highly tuned 10600K in all other games with it beating by even bigger margin when tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Got my case fans and rgb routed and front panel wiring sorted Thursdays and motorboard (r5 3600) done today, Friday, as my m.2 arrived. Borrowed old gpu for the moment.

Done a quick power on before calling it a night and I have Post on my first build...... Success...

Will do Windows and config tomorrow and hopefully post pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Scan expected to get 40 5800x over the weekend but no sign of them so far. I'm 36 in the queue.
    Today, people on AMD reddit are getting shipment confirmations from Scan for 5900x.

So either they messed up the update and listed 5800 instead of 5900 or they are sending 5800x's out to the wrong list :). Either way it's a mess.

If anyone fancies being scalped by an Irish shop, 5900x in stock here for €807. Shameful.

https://www.memoryc.ie/32574-amd-ryzen-9-5900x-3-7ghz-64mb-l3-cpu-desktop-processor-boxed.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Talking of tuning, I've finally manned up & tightened my timings to 3600MHz CL15.

https://valid.x86.fr/8phh5v

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Overheal wrote: »
    You could sell that 2nd hand pretty reasonably.

Part of me also happy with how the pc is at the mo. Still scared from this build last year.

Updated AMD GPU drivers there yesterday. First toke in ages. Had to rollback as it locked my monitor to 600x480. It’s the undiscussed AMD issue. Their driver work is dreadful

If anyone fancies being scalped by an Irish shop, 5900x in stock here for €807. Shameful.

https://www.memoryc.ie/32574-amd-ryzen-9-5900x-3-7ghz-64mb-l3-cpu-desktop-processor-boxed.html

Out of stock now so someone paid it!

I'm going to wait it out for few more weeks but if it gets close to the end of the year I'll cancel. Don't want possible import charges on top. Just checked revolut exchange rate and if I refunded now I'd actually earn 12 euros in the process so thats nice, will keep an eye on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

More or less complete for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Out of stock now so someone paid it!
    Probably not, it said it was "delivered in 6 days" which means they didn't have it themselves. They say something like "ready to ship" when it's actually in their stock and you could just go and collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

minitrue wrote: »
    Probably not, it said it was "delivered in 6 days" which means they didn't have it themselves. They say something like "ready to ship" when it's actually in their stock and you could just go and collect it.

Where are they located?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lpw

So does anyone have a sense of what will happen if brexit goes badly? I've an order with overclockers and didn't mind waiting -- unless it arrives after January and then I have to pay import duties. Need to find other European stores that will ship here - but havnt had a lot of luck so far.

• Advertisement

minitrue wrote: »

It said "in stock" when I checked and now it says it isn't. I don't expect them to be holding them on site to be honest, much like Elara don't, they are a middle man essentially but being able to deliver in 6 days is a lot quicker than anyone else right now but but it doesn't even say that anymore so someone bought what they had.
    SickBoy wrote: »
    Where are they located?

Maynooth I think

Advertisement