Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Did you get a refund, do you mind me asking?

My return still hasn't reached Amazon. Delivery was supposed to happen by the 17th but no updates from DPD since the 16th. I'll call them Monday to see what's going on if still no movement.
    Amazon have said they'll refund the purchase and the cost of shipping the return once they receive the return.

Seems Amazon's thievery problem is getting out of hand.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/amazon-uk-ps5-theft

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Seems Amazon's thievery problem is getting out of hand.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/amazon-uk-ps5-theft

Thats shocking.so glad my kids are grown up..imagine waiting for a ps5 for your kids at christmas and some cnut with no morals has stolen it and replaced it with a george forman grill instead in the delivery box...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm glad they're getting some bad press about it. It's the only way a large company does anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I'm glad they're getting some bad press about it. It's the only way a large company does anything.

Still probably wont change a thing. Will send some gift vouchers and thats gonna be it.

• Advertisement

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Still probably wont change a thing. Will send some gift vouchers and thats gonna be it.

I'll just be happy if the ***** give me a refund at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Some 5900x just dropped on Mindfactory, gone in seconds. First drop I've seen of them since launch bar the initial stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Well new PC is built, took along time yesterday but got there in the end. Very happy with it.

Its got a Ryzen 5800x , Asus X570 tuf gaming motherboard, 4x8 3600 CL16 Ram. It’s very fast, benching well above the Intel 10700k for example.

The only thing is, I opted for Noctua NH-U12S chromax CPU cooler, and added an extra Noctua fan in a push pull configuration. I used the Noctua thermal paste that came with the cooler.

The temps on the 5800x are around 37 under light load, 60-70 when boosting and 72-5 when rendering.

I used cpu-z stress test and was able to see temps occasionally peak at 81 but generally stay round 77 ish.

Should I be concerned about these sort of temps? I know Ryzen 5800x is a hot architecture but I’m coming from an older Intel i5 and don’t know what normal is!

*edit; should mention that the case is a Fractal Meshify C with dark tinted glass side. I added two Noctua 140mm fans to the front as intake, and moved the stock 120mm Fan to the top as exhaust. There is a rear Fractal exhaust too. So two 140mm in, two 120mm out.

Seems okay to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

What gpu are you running?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah nothing to worry about there.

Do-more wrote: »
    What gpu are you running?

Still rocking my old Asus Nvidia 750 ti until I can buy a 3rd party 6800xt. Not sure how long that might be but in fairness I thought I wouldn’t get a new Zen before Christmas and managed to bag one on Currys as part of a bundle so there is hope yet!

I’ve got a few games I’ve been putting off playing for years lined up as soon as I have the new GPU. I’m a big kid, can’t wait :)

This was the scene yesterday.

This was the scene yesterday.

Yer wan has hungry eyes for that mobo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Completed my first proper PC build yesterday. Took ages as I guessed it would but happy enough with how it turned out in the end (really impressed with how fast it boots and how quiet it is). One mistake I did make was installing the CPU cooler before putting the mobo into the case - that made it very awkward plugging in the HD audio cable and screwing in the top left mobo screw. Other than that it was the cable management that took the longest.

Once the build was done then I had some fun trying to get into the BIOS, only went as far as the screen saying press Del or F2 but pressing either just rebooted it. Not sure if it was because it didn't like the RAM or the CPU. Had to update to the latest BIOS using a USB key and the button at the back which did the trick thank god. :)

Think I will add a 1TB PCIe 3 M.2 at the rear and that will do me for a while.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    GPU: MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING X
    Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix 550-I Gaming
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz C16
    SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280
    PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2
    Case Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM Premium Quiet Fan, 1 x Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM Chromax Black
    Case: NZXT H210
    PSU Extension cables: 24-pin & 8pin

Very nice build indeed. Do you own a glass coffee table?

Very nice build indeed. Do you own a glass coffee table?

Lol you’ve lost me on the coffee table question? I’m one of those strange folk that can’t stand the smell of coffee don’t mind the taste. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Just finished the Big Upgrade 2020.
    After building a new PC for the son, I managed to upgrade mine too. I had bought the cheapest bundle from AWD-IT, with a MicroATX B550K-M board (now for sale on adverts), and I kept the Strix B550 that I initially purchased for the son.
    My Timespy score is 18111, a good bit below son's score, his MSI 3090 scores much better than my Zotac.

Overall, quite happy with the upgrades. Now just looking for a gen4 NVMe drive to fully benefit the new platform. Had a Sabrent ordered when it was on sale, but Amazon driver must have kept it, and all I got was a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

JoyPad wrote: »
    Just finished the Big Upgrade 2020.
    After building a new PC for the son, I managed to upgrade mine too. I had bought the cheapest bundle from AWD-IT, with a MicroATX B550K-M board (now for sale on adverts), and I kept the Strix B550 that I initially purchased for the son.
    My Timespy score is 18111, a good bit below son's score, his MSI 3090 scores much better than my Zotac.

Overall, quite happy with the upgrades. Now just looking for a gen4 NVMe drive to fully benefit the new platform. Had a Sabrent ordered when it was on sale, but Amazon driver must have kept it, and all I got was a refund.

I think Kiki did put it in bargains, or maybe even here.
    Theres Samsung Evo Plus 1Tb on sale on Amazon, for 120£.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

yoshiktk wrote: »
    I think Kiki did put it in bargains, or maybe even here.
    Theres Samsung Evo Plus 1Tb on sale on Amazon, for 120£.

That's the PCIe 3.0 version, surely.
    I already have one of those, albeit an older model.

No, I want a PCIe 4.0, and I don't want to pay full price. Or none at all, otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah, Sabrent is steal the most common, good deal going around this season. Keep an eye out for it again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Pricey but available - 5600X

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Delighted with my 5600X so far.

Just turned on PBO and Auto OC, managing basically 4.6ghz boost all-core and 4.84 boost single core.

Running a few sets of Cinebench will only hit a max of 72ºC (Noctua D15 is a beast!).

0vkHJBVh.jpg

Hyzepher wrote: »

Pretty much €130 more than what scan was charging. And it's sold. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yep, looks like 3 more in stock and ready for pickup, however they managed to get their hands on them!

Think i'll invest in an x570 on this coming 'Black Friday' / 'Payday' and then hang tight for 5600x to magically appear in stock somewhere at close to RRP..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hyzepher wrote: »

>adds MemoryC to the list

49b.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This is so bloody stupid.

You can buy a 10c/20t Core i9-10850K in a fancy box for less!

Ryzen would be faster in gaming.
    Intel wins in productivity here.

... does anyone else feel like it's opposite day?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InDarkWoods

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    This is so bloody stupid.

You can buy a 10c/20t Core i9-10850K in a fancy box for less!

Ryzen would be faster in gaming.
    Intel wins in productivity here.

... does anyone else feel like it's opposite day?

Dude, I mean this is a Zen discussion thread, what are you hoping to gain by posting this? How would your comment be taken if I went to an Intel thread and posted the same thing with the brands reversed?

I'm here because I really like what AMD are doing with Zen — and I feel they are really focused on making excellent products right now. I like that the sockets stay the same for a few generations and they are priced competitively and give people more options.

I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 when they first launched and it's still in my machine today. I'm hoping to upgrade to the 5600X soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Dude, I mean this is a Zen discussion thread, what are you hoping to gain by posting this? How would your comment be taken if I went to an Intel thread and posted the same thing with the brands reversed?

You might want to take the foot off the gas and relax, its too early in the day to be getting worked up like this, bad for your health!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I'm here because I really like what AMD are doing with Zen — and I feel they are really focused on making excellent products right now. I like that the sockets stay the same for a few generations and they are priced competitively and give people more options.

I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 when they first launched and it's still in my machine today. I'm hoping to upgrade to the 5600X soon.
    Having a bad day already?

Advertisement