Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InDarkWoods

Just thought it was kind of weird to come to a Zen thread and start pushing an Intel CPU. It'd be nice if I could have an opinion about someone's comment and a normal discussion without the sarcasm brigade coming in.

EDIT: Reading back over K.O.Kiki's comment, I feel maybe they were expressing frustration over the fact that there's similar Intel CPUs available and none for AMD. So my original reply was to something out of context and I apologise for that.

My other point still stands though; can't even have someone explain that logically without a hape of ye coming in with wise cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just thought it was kind of weird to come to a Zen thread and start pushing an Intel CPU. It'd be nice if I could have an opinion about someone's comment and a normal discussion without the sarcasm brigade coming in.

Did you even look at who you replied to? Koki has probably specced more Ryzen builds in here in the last week than you have posts since you joined.

He was making a simple point that he's always consistent with - buy the option to give the best price to performance ratio. His comment was made specifically in relation to the 5600X posted at €160+ over RRP.

You're the one who jumped in feet first and have come out looking foolish.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did you even look at who you replied to? Koki has probably specced more Ryzen builds in here in the last week than you have posts since you joined.

He was making a simple point that he's always consistent with - buy the option to give the best price to performance ratio. His comment was made specifically in relation to the 5600X posted at €160+ over RRP.

You're the one who jumped in feet first and have come out looking foolish.

Yeah man, I've already responded to this in my second reply. But again, you could've just explained it to me.

Also, I misinterpreted his original tone and comment, apologised, and tried to be civil with all my comments and replies... how is that foolish?

Look lads, I'm sorry I jumped the gun and for not realising the OP's original intention. I'm not here to fight with anyone, and I really don't want to make anyone feel bad. Ye're all a grand bunch. I've highjacked this thread long enough so let's all get back to CPU talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No worries mate.

I kinda hoped the last bit gave away that I felt the situation feels ironic with AMD & Intel flipping places in both performance & value.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No worries mate.

I kinda hoped the last bit gave away that I felt the situation feels ironic with AMD & Intel flipping places in both performance & value.

Only when I read it again did I realise you what you meant. I caused some drama for sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Thor wrote: »
    My 5950x arrived 2 days ago. Ordered bundle from awd-it day after launch. Took a while as they have to flash motherboards before shipping. So it adds a few days before shipping.

I wasnt going to be hopeful I would find a water block in stock in time for my 3080, but took a chance and ordered bitspower one. Surprised they shipped it with FedEx priority and it will arrive Friday, will be putting card under water and installing the 5950x

Will be a fun day..

Well that didn't pan out.

Fedex messed up and 3080 water block didn't arrive until Monday. Busy in work, so will get cracking on the build tomorrow. Looking forward to finally have the build completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, this whole morning wasn't very Zen, Positive vibes all round.

Lets get back to being angry at the invisible supply of processors! I'm kinda using Scan as the benchmark for availability https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/amd/ryzen-5000-faqs ....wondering what chances there are of a sudden influx before xmas, but it doesn't look too good..still a healthy backlog

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My 5950x has been updated as picked from Scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Half raging half not that I missed the 5800X on Amazon again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Amazon Italy got a few drops of 5900x today. Scan expecting a whopping 24 of them this week, meanwhile I'm 834 on the waiting list :rolleyes:

Quite where the large numbers of CPUs AMD apparently promised are is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

scan are a joke..they said earlier at 4.30pm that an unexpected stock of 5600x was due in this week....then 30 minutes later they deleted that post..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's hardly Scan's fault that AMD (and nVidia) have been blowing smoke up everyone's backside with paper/vapourware launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    scan are a joke..they said earlier at 4.30pm that an unexpected stock of 5600x was due in this week....then 30 minutes later they deleted that post..

I can see that post right now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

SeanW wrote: »
    It's hardly Scan's fault that AMD (and nVidia) have been blowing smoke up everyone's backside with paper/vapourware launches.

There's a combo effect of the British Ports being blocked, apparently the government has about 11,000 containers just sitting in Ports full of PPE

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Gumbi wrote: »
    I can see that post right now.

Yeah the original post with the 5600x shipment is back up now..very weird..
    when i said scan was a joke i meant in the sense of posting info..then deleting it...then putting it back up an hour later

Don't get me wrong, I'm pissed at the situation too. I'm hoping to grab a 5600x before Christmas at a somewhat reasonable price...

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I cancelled my 5800x and ordered a 5600x from amazon.de, deliver date is late December but **** it.

I cancelled my 5800x and ordered a 5600x from amazon.de, deliver date is late December but **** it.

Are they available on amazon de? I can't see them when I search.

Got the email at 15:48 from Amazon.co.uk, saw it about 16:20 and they were already gone.

Edit Sorry see you weren't talking to me :)

• Advertisement

I'm in a Telegram parts alrts channel, they post several 5800x's per day but deliver dates estimated for late janurary. Shipping form the US global shop via Amazon.de. I used Mailboxde for delivery address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The thing I don't get is that we've had Ryzen 3, Radeon launches for PC, and BOTH next-gen consoles launching ... all within a month of each other ... all reliant on TSMC 7nm production. There was never any way that there was going to be sufficient supply. Never mind in the middle of this pandemic. Not sure what Nvidia's excuse is since they're on Samsung, we're well past the point where sold-out launch stock should be getting refreshed and samsung don't have any other big releases in the same timeframe so wafer starts shouldn't be an issue for Nvidia. I wonder if yield is an issue on these monolithic chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

Ok, so let's talk PBO and AC ?

My Gigabyte x570 motherboard already has the settings for the Curve Optimiser, that is used to sort of better manage voltage with PBO2. Supposedly a negative setting undervolts the cpu.

My 5600X got these results doing:

PBO + AC: 4840mhz boost single core, 4590mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11573 pts multi core.

PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 2 or 3: 4840mhz boost single core, 4640mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 68ºC, score 11656 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 15: 4840mhz boost single core, 4713mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 74ºC, score 11921 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 20: 4840mhz boost single core, between 4739 and 4764mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11906 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 22: 4840mhz boost single core, between 4739 and 4764mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11937 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 23: 4840mhz boost single core, 4764mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11995 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 24: 4840mhz boost single core, 4764mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11958 pts multi core.

Curve optimiser set to -25 makes it run at stock 3.7, no boost.
    Curve optimiser set to -30 (supposedly the maximum) will crash the pc when running the multi core bench.

In the end, overclocked my ram further to 3800 CL16 (it's a 3200 CL16 kit, gotta love Micron :D) and managed 12086 pts on the multi core Cinebench R23.

Did you get a refund, do you mind me asking?

Got my refund just now. Well, I got an email saying Amazon got my return and have issued my refund and it could take 5-7 days.

Thank christ for that.

I'd be very hesitant to buy stuff from Amazon UK again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

cromelex wrote: »
    Ok, so let's talk PBO and AC ?

My Gigabyte x570 motherboard already has the settings for the Curve Optimiser, that is used to sort of better manage voltage with PBO2. Supposedly a negative setting undervolts the cpu.

My 5600X got these results doing:

PBO + AC: 4840mhz boost single core, 4590mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11573 pts multi core.

PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 2 or 3: 4840mhz boost single core, 4640mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 68ºC, score 11656 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 15: 4840mhz boost single core, 4713mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 74ºC, score 11921 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 20: 4840mhz boost single core, between 4739 and 4764mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11906 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 22: 4840mhz boost single core, between 4739 and 4764mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11937 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 23: 4840mhz boost single core, 4764mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11995 pts multi core.
    PBO + AC, curve optimiser set to minus 24: 4840mhz boost single core, 4764mhz boost all cores, max temp Cinebench R23 72ºC, score 11958 pts multi core.

Curve optimiser set to -25 makes it run at stock 3.7, no boost.
    Curve optimiser set to -30 (supposedly the maximum) will crash the pc when running the multi core bench.

In the end, overclocked my ram further to 3800 CL16 (it's a 3200 CL16 kit, gotta love Micron :D) and managed 12086 pts on the multi core Cinebench R23.

Not exactly consistent on the undervolting front, is it? Have to question what the benefit is if temps aren't dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Not exactly consistent on the undervolting front, is it? Have to question what the benefit is if temps aren't dropping.

I think an AGESA update is also required for this to work fully.
    Power curves in the BIOS is one thing but without the associated microcode update to the CPU it won't work properly.

For some reason there was a single 5800X at £403.99 available from Amazon. Almost annoyed with myself I've gone for the 5800X but feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

It's missing the Agesa update to be fully functional.

I have a Noctua D15 air cooler so the max temp is always going to be lower than on other smaller coolers.

But my point was that the Zen3 was actually performing better, and achieving higher clocks when fed less power. Each unit on the curve is between 3 and 5mv (based on a AMD video about PBO2).

Just based on the Coretemp figures, max power usage went from 110W to 105W (when running the bench on all cores), and it performed better at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Speaking of temps...

My new 5950X was running quite hot. Temps at idle were around 60C, and it was going up to 80C during Aida64 stress test.
    This is installed on a brand new Asus Rog Strix B550-F (WiFi) motherboard, which was bought in October. I had to flash the most recent BIOS on it to POST with the 5950X. The only change I did was to modify the Memory Frequency parameter to 3200Mhz, everything else was left untouched.
    I saw no problems whatsoever, other than the noisy fans. They were cranked pretty high whenever I did anything on the PC.

My son's PC was built with a bundle from Scan. Same CPU, on an Asus RoG Strix X570-F motherboard, similar RAM (same frequency), and a similar AIO cooler. His CPU idles in the low 40s, and goes up to high 60s during stress test. Quiet all the way, you can barely hear the fans when the stress test is running. I was jealous!

This morning, I was ready to crack it open and re-check the cooler, clean and re-paste, the whole shebang!
    But a quick thought: let's check what Scan put in his BIOS settings. So, I started his PC, wrote down every setting in the "Tweaking" part of the BIOS, and verified against my defaults. The one setting that was different was "Overclock Tuner": mine was set on Auto, his on DOCP. I half-heartedly changed mine to match his, thinking there's no way that would be the difference. But it was! Now my CPU idles in the low 40s too, and doesn't reach 70C under stress test! Same as his!

I know I don't know much about the BIOS settings, particularly for AMD (this is my second ever AMD CPU, after my first PC ran an AMD 486 80MHz, in 1995). But I am terribly happy not to have to crack the PC open again and do the cooler re-jig. Thank you, Scan!

• Advertisement

Speaking of temps and coolers - will the Wraith Prism RGB off a 3700X be enough cooling for a 5800X for gaming?

Advertisement