Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I think the Ryzen 5 1400X will probably be the best to get for games. 4C/8T at high(ish) clock speeds & 65W.

It might be a drop in replacement for the 6700k or 7700k although I suspect it'll be slightly behind in games but still seriously competitive.

Exciting reading upcoming in the immiment days & weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

more modern games seem to be going muti threaded so the 8 cores could end up doing very nice in games. I like amd's approach to building products that get better with time (not that it always works).

God i wish i had bought shares in amd last year when the where around $3, now up to $15

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

more modern games seem to be going muti threaded so the 8 cores could end up doing very nice in games. I like amd's approach to building products that get better with time (not that it always works).

God i wish i had bought shares in amd last year when the where around $3, now up to $15

But thinking realistically this time last year who would have predicted that they would make a comeback.

Also they haven't even come back yet. I hope for their sake they do sell a lot of Ryzen CPU's and then also a lot of Vega GPU's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Take solace in the fact that if you had bought at $3 a share, you probably would have sold once you made a half way decent return instead of holding out for $15.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I told everyone I knew to get shares when they were $1.65 around 15 months ago.

I'd expect them to be at least $25 by the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I tried a few times to get shares, but unless you are putting in a decent amount it's not really worth it because you have to go through a brokerage.

Europe needs an equivalent of Robin Hood to allow you to make small investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bitcoin is where you should have invested #1500HereWeCome ;)

Lukker- wrote: »
    I tried a few times to get shares, but unless you are putting in a decent amount it's not really worth it because you have to go through a brokerage.

Europe needs an equivalent of Robin Hood to allow you to make small investments.

You can use Plus500. It's an online trading program but afaik you aren't actually buying shares. It's more like a gambling/poker program where you desposit funds, get a bonus and they pay you based on whether you are up or not.

There are a lot of options for automatic selling buying etc to cover yourself.

I don't think you need huge money. A 1 grand investment in AMD at 1.65 would already be close to 10k now. 5k would be near 50k. That's a serious return. Nearly 1000% in 18 months with more to come.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lukker- wrote: »

Degiro have very low fees.

It doesn't get much easier than Plus500. No fees, easy signup, bonus on deposits. Yes you won't technically own the shares but for casual traders making small investments it's bang on.

https://www.plus500.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BloodBath wrote: »
    It doesn't get much easier than Plus500. No fees, easy signup, bonus on deposits. Yes you won't technically own the shares but for casual traders making small investments it's bang on.

https://www.plus500.ie/?gclid=CO22uNW5sdICFUiT7QodP4MCYA

If you're going to use a referral link declare it as so. Not such an impartial recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

But thinking realistically this time last year who would have predicted that they would make a comeback.

Also they haven't even come back yet. I hope for their sake they do sell a lot of Ryzen CPU's and then also a lot of Vega GPU's.

If are looking at amd and thinking amd have not made a comeback yet...Turn your gaze to Intel. already making serious moves to absorb the impact.

ED E wrote: »
    If you're going to use a referral link declare it as so. Not such an impartial recommendation.

I didn't use a referral link. Wtf are you talking about? It was the first result on google which happened to be an ad. Fixed it now just for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Unless I'm mistaken, Plus500 takes a sizeable chunk for themselves. (Maybe I don't understand how it works)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This Plus500 lark sounds a lot like Contracts For Difference IM(Very)HO. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've decided to jump the gun and didn't wait for reviews :eek:.
    I've pre-ordered an 1800x.
    I will wait for reviews on boards though before I order one. As soon as I see one with a good review I will get it but at the moment I have a preference for the Asus X370 pro based on price/looks/previous experience with Asus vs the likes of MSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm pretty much set on an m-itx Ryzen build myself, so will have to wait for the X300 boards to come out. Will likely be pairing with with a 1600X anyway so it's Q2 at the earliest for me. I really can't justify going with a 7600k over a 1600X, certainly on paper anyway....will be very interested in seeing how the 5's get on in real world tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So looks like ryzen so far really well received.

What would be golden spot like usual i5 we had? 1800x looks nice and well priced, but do we really need it? Its a lot damm better value then intel, but still a bit pricy for average joe, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What would be golden spot like usual i5 we had? 1800x looks nice and well priced, but do we really need it? Its a lot damm better value then intel, but still a bit pricy for average joe, no?

Too pricey for me anyway. I had my eye on the 1700X since I seen leaks a few weeks back but I'm still not fully set on it as my current system even though old plays all games brilliantly. I will wait for the reviews. They are not great overclockers supposedly, 4.2GHz across all cores seems to be the max. I suppose we will just have to wait till tomorrow to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

So are we of the opinion yet that $ for $ ryzen will be at least equal in terms of performance to a similarly priced intel chip? I've been looking at a 7700k build and have been wondering if it's still worth holding out for another few weeks (and I'm too stupid to interpret the graphs on the previous link)
    ED E wrote: »
    Bitcoin is where you should have invested #1500HereWeCome ;)

I was given about €100 of bitcoin for a freelancing gig a couple of years ago when they were $13 ea, and used them to buy "mixed herbs". Such is life!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    So are we of the opinion yet that $ for $ ryzen will be at least equal in terms of performance to a similarly priced intel chip? I've been looking at a 7700k build and have been wondering if it's still worth holding out for another few weeks (and I'm too stupid to interpret the graphs on the previous link)

At this point, I'd wait the extra few weeks. It's looking almost certain at this point that Ryzen going to give you more bang for your buck.

$ for $ go ryzen, that r7 1700x is what $350-$400, and it seems to beating Intel's second highest CPU (6900k) fairly easily.

Today the NDA is finishing though so we should have a lot more info shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bad rumours circulating that RX Vega has been delayed to May/June, with only RX 500-series launching in April.

Hope for their bottom line it's just that, rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Today the NDA is finishing though so we should have a lot more info shortly

2pm, for those wondering.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Bad rumours circulating that RX Vega has been delayed to May/June, with only RX 500-series launching in April.

Hope for their bottom line it's just that, rumours.

If so theve fecked up, nvidia already are well in the lead on the high performance end and are about to make it worse with the ti and 1080 price cuts.

Would be really nice to see them knock Intel and nvidia down a peg in a single year though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They're not aimed at the average joe to be fair, but at workstations and professionals.

The R3 will be comparable to current i5's, and the R5's are more comparable to current i7's.

That's where the best value is for the average joe. The R3 in particular should render both the i3 and i5 largely obsolete unless Intel introduce massive price drops.

The only Intel CPU that still represents good value to buy right now with Ryzen here is the G4560, we'll have to see what Ryzen APU's offer later in the year to gauge how AMD tackle the low budget segment.

I'll personally be getting an R5-1600 most likely for a 1440p/4k build with a 1080ti.

The R7 is getting all the buzz because AMD are making a show of Intel by releasing a CPU that does the same thing for a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Advertisement