Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Quick FYI in case someone see's a similar problem.
    Have my 5950x set up and running in an Asus B550-E MB, was seeing terrible problems with mouse freezes.

Found a couple of people with similar issues on Ryzen 5000 chips. Two solutions made the problem go away, 1. Set all the onboard features to PCIe 3 instead of Auto, and 2. Turn off global c-state control.
    Initially I was running a PCIe 3 GPU so tried the first option, but switched to option when my 3060Ti arrived.

Looks like this has happened in the past, but bios updates eventually make the problems go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lads, i should tell you this bundle things on amazon maybe worth a shot if you are still looking to get a cpu before christmas: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=5600x&me=A17AS5ETPMZ9A1&fbclid=IwAR1ezK-26frBfqcCKaMPZqns3gqwAW6uS9QmBweTMKzmbVAP2JCtzNI9xYQ&ref=nb_sb_noss , use an uk address to get free delivery.

My bother needed cpu badly (he sold his 1700 before he got his 5600x lmao as he didnt expect the supply would be this bad), as he was waiting in CCL queue (it was f*cked etc), somehow the bundle suppliers have priority over single component sellers. He got the cpu+mobo bundle fpr £500 (5600x + Asus B550E) and he received them in about 1 week. Since we all use itx build so he will get rid of the mobo to somewhere. overall reasonable price (cba to deal with the scalped up price out there).

Anyway ya, could look up other bundle deals (maybe on other sites too) if you want to get them faster (i think on amazon the cpu+mobo are all gone now, some other like cpu+mobo+ram still available)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Scan's pre-order 5600x backlog looks to be cleared as of this morning..hoping can nab one when they release next batch (assuming they got the 2k+ in before xmas)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

seraphimvc wrote: »
    lads, i should tell you this bundle things on amazon maybe worth a shot if you are still looking to get a cpu before christmas: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=5600x&me=A17AS5ETPMZ9A1&fbclid=IwAR1ezK-26frBfqcCKaMPZqns3gqwAW6uS9QmBweTMKzmbVAP2JCtzNI9xYQ&ref=nb_sb_noss , use an uk address to get free delivery.

My bother needed cpu badly (he sold his 1700 before he got his 5600x lmao as he didnt expect the supply would be this bad), as he was waiting in CCL queue (it was f*cked etc), somehow the bundle suppliers have priority over single component sellers. He got the cpu+mobo bundle fpr £500 (5600x + Asus B550E) and he received them in about 1 week. Since we all use itx build so he will get rid of the mobo to somewhere. overall reasonable price (cba to deal with the scalped up price out there).

Anyway ya, could look up other bundle deals (maybe on other sites too) if you want to get them faster (i think on amazon the cpu+mobo are all gone now, some other like cpu+mobo+ram still available)

I wonder will there be any chance of getting a 6800xt this away

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just my order from ebuyer cancelled for the 5600X. Guess I'll just wait until February and things have hopefully settled down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

My CPU is currently in an Amazon logistics centre in Hebron Kentucky a few miles away from Cincinnati Airport. Hopefully it gets on a big shiny cargo plane to Germany today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

SickBoy wrote: »
    I wonder will there be any chance of getting a 6800xt this away

I don't think the product has even appeared on amazon on Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Just my order from ebuyer cancelled for the 5600X. Guess I'll just wait until February and things have hopefully settled down a bit.

You'll get one off Scan soon enough. Back orders cleared and thousands more CPU's due before Christmas.

Just got an update from DHL saying my 5600x will hit my mailboxDE address by Thursday afternoon, so I should have it by early next week.

Hurray.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

www.novatech.co.uk are scalping about £50 on all CPU's and GPU's right now which is fairly disgusting from a reasonably sized retailer.

But the good news is that when Ryzen CPU's come into stock with them they stay can say in stock for over an hour as people know if they wait a bit more they can get it for RRP. A sign that stock is really improving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Does the 5600X run significantly cooler than the 5800X? I've managed to justify the premium I paid to myself as I got the 5800X at a good price but buying a new cooler might be the last straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Undervolt it. If they're anything like their predecessors it will drop temps without hurting performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

If you don't mind running at 80c under full load the stock cooler is fine. Some people freakout when things hit this temp but it's safe and within AMD spec.

The only things of concern is it leaves no room for overclocking and some people may find the fan annoying.

Undervolting is a good suggestion.
    After owning a 1070 fe with the crappy stock cooler for 4 years I only just realised that it performs better with an undervolt and I save a little on my electricity bill too.
    You can get really lucky with the silicon lottery and get CPU or GPU that runs much lower voltage with no performance hit.
    The default voltage always assumes that you have the worst quality chip but you would have to be very unlucky for this to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,163 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

From Scan:

"I am pleased to report that your bundle has now completed all stability tests and is ready for dispatch. If any other items that you have on your order are out of stock, we will hold your order temporarily until we have received stock.

If all items on your order are in stock, you will find that your bundle will dispatch tonight on a 1 - 2 Working Day Service and should be out for delivery/receipt tomorrow."

Very pleased :)

My CPU shipped today from MailboxDE via GLS. Should arrive in a few days.

Exciting times lads :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Finally got around to installing the new 5950x and Mbd, didn't do a windows reinstall as it was replacing another 3900x/MSI X570 and was being lazy in thinking I'd get away with a relatively similar foundation.
    Initial performance was looking good at around 4.6GHz all-core and then I made the mistake of playing around with Asus TPU and AMD Ryzen Master settings, performance just went downhill. Multiple CMOS clears and further buggering about with the software later it was utter crap at ~4Ghz all-core no matter what I changed. Also my temps had increased about 10C over the original runs, even with the BIOS and theoretically the soft-set voltages back to stock. Did a CMOS reset and full reinstall of windows, did not install any of the Asus tools or Master and then just manually tweaked the BIOS for PBO+200 Mhz and it's flying again. All-core stress hovers right around 4.47Ghz, the lowest single core max over a general use period is 4.7Ghz, with one core hitting 5.175Ghz. That'll do pig, that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yea I wouldn't use Ryzen Master for tweaking all it's good for is checking how things are in Windows like temperatures and IF and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Pulled the trigger on a B550 Strix today on Amazon at £159 (also knocked £76 off it Amazon credit sitting my account so, not a big hit!) Decided against x570 in the end, really couldn't see myself using all the extra lanes etc. Hopefully can secure a 5600x in the Scan December drop and beat the Brexit blues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Just got a 5950x from Novatech. They are in stock but a little bit more expensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

deceit wrote: »
    Just got a 5950x from Novatech. They are in stock but a little bit more expensive.

I think novatech prices are a lot more expensive for the 5800x anyway:
    £77.99 / €85 More expensive than when amazon will have it in stock and
    £57.98/ €65 more than overclockers

amd-5800x-novatech.jpg

overclockers-5800x.jpg

AMD-5800x-amazon-price-Copy.jpg

• Advertisement

I still think it's dear. If it was €450 I'd buy but £450 is too much imo. I was posting about the overclockers price the amazon price is decent if it was available.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I still think it's dear. If it was €450 I'd buy but £450 is too much imo. I was posting about the overclockers price the amazon price is decent if it was available.

Yes, the i9 10850K is around that price now,

Im still not sure what I am going to do, if the 5800x was more readily available I would have purchased one as not long ago I had an i7 10700K in my basket and was just going to go for it for the RTX 3080 I pre-ordered. On top of the difficulty getting a 5800x and realising how bad a paper launch the 3080 was I stopped considering just waiting for intels next generation in Q1 2021 and see how prices were then to make my choice between the 5800x and intels 10700K equivalent (11700K?).

Don't think I want to be waiting around with an rtx 3080 sitting in this i7 3820 while im struggling to find parts for my upgrade. I might as well leave the 980GTX I have in it instead of bottlenecking the crap out of a 3080

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just stick RT on and you won't have to worry about being cpu limited :D

Cyperpunk only manages around 60fps at 1440p max settings with a 3080.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

5950x just got dispatched from scan today! pre-orders nearly fulfilled

slade_x wrote: »
    Yes, the i9 10850K is around that price now,

Im still not sure what I am going to do, if the 5800x was more readily available I would have purchased one as not long ago I had an i7 10700K in my basket and was just going to go for it for the RTX 3080 I pre-ordered. On top of the difficulty getting a 5800x and realising how bad a paper launch the 3080 was I stopped considering just waiting for intels next generation in Q1 2021 and see how prices were then to make my choice between the 5800x and intels 10700K equivalent (11700K?).

Don't think I want to be waiting around with an rtx 3080 sitting in this i7 3820 while im struggling to find parts for my upgrade. I might as well leave the 980GTX I have in it instead of bottlenecking the crap out of a 3080

Tbh I wouldn't even buy an Intel CPU(I did previously) out of principle they have not done anything great for the past number of CPU cycles just refreshing 14nm for a company with far far more money than AMD they have really messed up. I atm have a 3700X that I am happy with so I'm not in a rush to replace it but I may in the future I will see.

If I was going for one of the lower cpu's I would see it as not worth it and wait but the increase is less noticeable on an expensive part so just went with it rather than waiting until the new year for one.
    Also if you dong get it before the new year in the UK remember could be hit by VAT hence the quicker order.
    slade_x wrote: »
    I think novatech prices are a lot more expensive for the 5800x anyway:
    £77.99 / €85 More expensive than when amazon will have it in stock and
    £57.98/ €65 more than overclockers

BloodBath wrote: »

60 with DLSS enabled. Less than 30 at times without it and RT on.

Tbh I wouldn't even buy an Intel CPU(I did previously) out of principle they have not done anything great for the past number of CPU cycles just refreshing 14nm for a company with far far more money than AMD they have really messed up. I atm have a 3700X that I am happy with so I'm not in a rush to replace it but I may in the future I will see.

Compared to my i7 3820 either a 5800x or an i7 10700K would be quiet the upgrade for me, I have always gone for a high enough platform to last years, its in an Asus Sabertooth X79 with 32gb ram which I mainly chose for the 8x Sata Ports. I've had it 8 years now and with the introduction of the RTX 3080 its time to move on. although sucks I will have no use for my Asus xonar as its PCI only.

There are a lot more offerings on AMD boards with 8x Sata Ports, which is why I am leaning towards that.

I haven't upgraded in such a long time I don't remember if this scarcity of parts is normal this long after launch, I am tempted to just buy an X570 board and ddr4 3600 ram of choice and just wait until I can secure a 5800x but don't want to be stuck waiting like I am with the RTX3080 which I purchased in the first half hour of launch almost 3 months ago.

Its one thing to order cpu board and ram all in the one go and wait for delivery but quiet another to be sitting on a board and ram I cant use for weeks or more and then possibly change my mind later on a whim when the 5800x is available. I'd just like to build something over the Christmas break when ill have time and then just pop the 3080 into it when it arrives likely before the summer

BloodBath wrote: »

Just noticed gpucheck have cyberpunk figure with a 3080 up

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare-game-cpu/cyberpunk-2077/intel-core-i9-10900k-vs-intel-core-i7-3820-3-60ghz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080

Screenshot-1.jpg

they don't yet have Ryzen 7 5000 series up though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,163 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cclonline.com now have the 5900x back in stock if anyone is interested

Advertisement