Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭FluffPiece

by in stock, it's a luck shot to try get one into your basket :D

Here the last 30 minutes trying, missed the notice by a few mins and that was my window gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

FluffPiece wrote: »
    by in stock, it's a luck shot to try get one into your basket :D

Here the last 30 minutes trying, missed the notice by a few mins and that was my window gone :(

Your right in all. Says it's in stock but when you try to add it to your cart it says it is in other customers carts and tries constantly for 150 tries. I didn't leave it trying as I don't want a 5900X but tried after you posted for the craic.

Now marked as sold out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Crossing my fingers that Scan gets their 5600X delivery on the 14th. It's not confirmed yet though. There's a big confirmed order coming in on the 21st but may not be able to get that by Christmas. I have most other components ready to go for the new system!

Yeah same boat, have it all ready to go. First build in like 10 years and have been getting parts over the last few weeks. Just need the processor.

I was going to go for the 5600x but talked myself into the 5900x. Would ideally like it before Brexit and willing to pay a small bit more for it, but likewise can wait a couple of months if I have to as well.

• Advertisement

Worth noting Gumbi that CCL are showing the 5600x in stock currently but same circus of trying to add to basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Received this email today from OverclockersUK
    Date ordered: 11/11/2020 14:56:31
    Payment Method: Amazon_Payments
    Shipping Method: DPD Two Day

Dear Fionn,

We have received a large delivery of Ryzen from AMD and we have enough to clear all 5950X back orders. We will endeavour to ship these over the weekend. There will no queue update today on this product - woo hoo!

Have a good weekend!

I haven't looked on their site to see if anything's left tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 batmansDad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

5600x and 5800x drops seem to becoming more frequent on the various Amazon domains and a lot are at RRP too so stock situation for them is clearly easing. Had the 5900x in my basket for ccl yesterday but decided against it. Don't want to pay the scalping price when I have a pre order at RRP with Scan. I'll wait and pray it hits before Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

batmansDad wrote: »

On the shipping page there doesn't appear to be an option to change country from UK. You could just use address pal?

I ordered a gpu from currys.ie a few days ago and the address on the box said Great Britain and a different postcode on it. Even though my online account said Ireland. At least it found me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Done it. The AMD software shows utilization go up to 70%, fps stayed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 batmansDad

Pangea wrote: »
    On the shipping page there doesn't appear to be an option to change country from UK. You could just use address pal?

I ordered a gpu from currys.ie a few days ago and the address on the box said Great Britain and a different postcode on it. Even though my online account said Ireland. At least it found me anyway.

I used AddressPal from AnPost.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

An post are snowed under with parcels which forced them to bring forward their delivery date cut off.
    I hope you get your gpu before xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    An post are snowed under with parcels which forced them to bring forward their delivery date cut off.
    I hope you get your gpu before xmas

Yeah, like few parcels from UK which usually I would get in couple of days, now went up to 10-14 days.

Anyone with rtx20xx/rx5700 cards? Hows your fps in Cyberpunk? Im on r5 2600/rx5700xt, after the hotfix mine went down to 20fps with the same settings. In the end had to go medium with resolution scaling down to 70% to get 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Ahh that's mad - according to the linked github code for the patch - its not a bug - but a check in anything compiled by Intels compiler (a very good compiler that's often used) - that stops the code running at full optimisations if its not a genuine Intel cpu.

Does that mean we will have to check all software to patch out this code going forward :(

"The Intel C++ Compiler adds ... a CPUID test that [tests the code is] executed on a Intel CPU, so the binaries don't run with full optimizations on non-Intel CPUs. This utility patches .. so the binaries can run on an AMD CPU as if they were on a Intel CPU."

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, when you're still rehashing and reselling 14nm+++++++++++ processors, you have to do something to make it look like your products don't suck vs. the competition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

had decided not to upgrade from my current 3700x, but read a bunch of reviews over the weekend and have myself convinced to get a 5900x(reckon it will be a better match for my 3090). course i missed the CCL drop last week, hopefully these rumours of increased stock emerging are true and they start showing up to order before brexit shuts down the UK as a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

5600x in stock on Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Aaaaaand Scan's crashed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Managed to get one before the crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Serephucus wrote: »
    Aaaaaand Scan's crashed. :D

Must be on Google Cloud :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ozmo wrote: »
    Ahh that's mad - according to the linked github code for the patch - its not a bug - but a check in anything compiled by Intels compiler (a very good compiler that's often used) - that stops the code running at full optimisations if its not a genuine Intel cpu.

Does that mean we will have to check all software to patch out this code going forward :(

"The Intel C++ Compiler adds ... a CPUID test that [tests the code is] executed on a Intel CPU, so the binaries don't run with full optimizations on non-Intel CPUs. This utility patches .. so the binaries can run on an AMD CPU as if they were on a Intel CPU."

In fairness, for games, AMD's bulldozer arch wasn't really efficient using its variation of SMT for games. The more obvious answer is the compiler used to create this issue is well over 5-6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

AdMMM wrote: »
    Managed to get one before the crash!

Ah but you dont really want it do you?

I can't access it via my ISP (Virgin), but it works fine via my phone's Network. They are charging 325 pounds the snakes. I can still add to basket as of now. I'll wait another week and see if I can get them a bit cheaper before Christmas.

Scan uk is back up!

Successfully ordered a 5600x at 13:11 after going through about 10 captcha requests.

Have to buy a mobo to match now. And a rtx3070 (eventually). And a 1440p monitor. And another 16gb ram. And a bigger SSD. And a bigger wattage PSU.

Damn. Expensive impulse Monday.

Gumbi wrote: »
    I can't access it via my ISP (Virgin), but it works fine via my phone's Network. They are charging 325 pounds the snakes. I can still add to basket as of now. I'll wait another week and see if I can get them a bit cheaper before Christmas.

Yep I rushed in at that price. What was the MRRP for UK do you happen to know? Less than 300?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Gonna hold off another week til pay day in case any of those old reliable corporate prepaid mastercard gifts turn up - may end up going 5800x/5900 in that case :D

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Yep I rushed in at that price. What was the MRRP for UK do you happen to know? Less than 300?

Strictly speaking it's supposed to be 280 pounds GBP. I'd be happy to pay a bit more but I really don't want to be scalped 50 plus euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Advertisement