Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Currys have had 5900x all morning and yesterday evening for 540 sterling. Over rrp but cheaper than what most of the scalper prices have been.

With no PW anymore and PM closing soon it's a bit of a risk to see if it would get to them in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

When trying to order a 5800x direct from amazon is there any reason that the .fr,.de and .es are €50 more expensive?
    I believe VAT is paid at the Irish rate in all cases when selecting an Irish delivery address.

Noticed that myself with the 5900x although it is always much dearer than rrp on the European amazon stores. Only the uk one charging rrp. Assumed it was because ait wasn't direct from amazon which seems to happen a lot more on the EU ones as opposed to the UK one.

Never actually clicked through to see the actual seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

How are CCL for deliveries? Reckon I'd get stuff before Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Serephucus wrote: »

CCL are great for deliveries but shipping from the UK is already fu*ked for everyone and won't get any better between now and January 1st.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »

An Post and DPD do not have normal service from the 24th - 4th, I imagine it's similar for the other delivery companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

harmless wrote: »
    An Post and DPD do not have normal service from the 24th - 4th, I imagine it's similar for the other delivery companies.

The issue isn't companies not having services, it's mile tailbacks for lorries trying to get onto ferries.

The issue isn't companies not having services, it's mile tailbacks for lorries trying to get onto ferries.

When delivery is impossible on those dates on a normal year I figured I didn't have to go into the whole Brexit thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

What’s the story re: brexit if I order one now that won’t be delivered until January?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

What’s the story re: brexit if I order one now that won’t be delivered until January?

You would more than likely have to pay an import tariff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

If the item is delivered after 31st December it looks like €10 or 1% fee (whichever is higher for An Post to clear customs), customs duty of around 12% for items over €150 and then 21% VAT charge for items over €22.

So if you order before the 31st December and it's delivered after, you could have to pay VAT twice. I don't know if there are going to be exceptions for such cases but I wouldn't imagine so.

If you order after 31st December from the UK, you won't pay VAT to Amazon.co.uk etc, only at point of entry.

I'm not 100% sure on all this though.

So if you order before the 31st December and it's delivered after, you could have to pay VAT twice. I don't know if there are going to be exceptions for such cases but I wouldn't imagine so.

If you order after 31st December from the UK, you won't pay VAT to Amazon.co.uk etc, only at point of entry.

I'm not 100% sure on all this though.

Currently when I order direct from Amazon.co.uk I am charged the Irish rate of VAT. I know this changes at the end of the month.

But if I have already paid Irish VAT on something can I be charged again? It was my understanding that you can't be charge VAT twice by the country you are importing into.
    Isn't it only possible for duty to be added at the point of entry in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Currently when I order direct from Amazon.co.uk I am charged the Irish rate of VAT. I know this changes at the end of the month.

But if I have already paid Irish VAT on something can I be charged again? It was my understanding that you can't be charge VAT twice by the country you are importing into.
    Isn't it only possible for duty to be added at the point of entry in this case?

It is possible to be charged one vat rate in the UK and then another when it crosses the border..only way around this is if amazon dont apply vat rate to their prices on checkout

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    It is possible to be charged one vat rate in the UK and then another when it crosses the border..only way around this is if amazon dont apply vat rate to their prices on checkout

But amazon.co.uk are currently charging VAT at the Irish rate(21%) for Irish customers not UK VAT.

This is what large retailers must do as part of the EU and Amazon will continue to do so up until the new year.

Is it possible to be charged for a second time at the Irish VAT rate?

It wont be amazon charging you the second rate. It'll be the Irish government via whoever is delivering your goods after January 1st so you absolutely can be charged twice.

Need the politicians to end this quickly and to tell everyone the actual score.. Madness it'd been allowed go so late in the day. How can any business plan ahead for the new year when they still don't know what conditions they'll be expected to operate under.

If we don't hear the actual score soon I'm going to cancel my 5900x from scan. Its going to be sent by December 28th so defo won't be in this country before January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

But amazon.co.uk are currently charging VAT at the Irish rate(21%) for Irish customers not UK VAT.

This is what large retailers must do as part of the EU and Amazon will continue to do so up until the new year.

Is it possible to be charged for a second time at the Irish VAT rate?

The problem is that when Amazon.co.uk charge you VAT, it is going to the UK exchequer, even though it's the Irish VAT rate.

If delivery is after January 1st, it would be viewed that no tax was remitted to an EU country for the goods so it is entirely possible that you will then be charged VAT at point of entry to Ireland.

Unless there's some exemption for this or some arrangement in place because it isn't exactly fair on the consumer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The problem is that when Amazon.co.uk charge you VAT, it is going to the UK exchequer, even though it's the Irish VAT rate.

That is not the case. Currently, when you buy something on Amazon, they charge Irish vat and it does to the Irish state.

1%, 12% and another vat on top makes my 5900x cost 790 quid! :eek:

Hope they sort it out this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

There's no customs duty on computer parts that will be coming from the UK either, so don't worry about that. If you're dealing with Amazon, they charge Irish vat at sale (eg £509 5900x cost me £514).
    Any delivery company trying to charge on top of that are taking the piss. If you're lucky enough to live within the Amazon delivery service radius, there should be no fear of that happening either. And again, if buying goods that do incur duty charges, Amazon will charge those up front, if I remember correctly.

It's scan unfortunately. I've one ordered with amazon too but that's late January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Bit the bullet on 5800x this morning from Amazon. Couldn't quite justify the extra whack for non existent 5900x stock and wanted a bit more oomph than the 5600x from the productivity side! Blaming impending Brexit for these rash decisions!

Now I need to hunt down the cooler bracket..

If anyone has one of these going spare: please lemme know!
    HmqUqwu

///Thanks to Spear for shorting me out nice and quick! Should have all I need for the transplant now.....except the CPU itself! Hopefully it finds it way through the logistical noise with borders shutting!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Shlippery wrote: »
    Bit the bullet on 5800x this morning from Amazon. Couldn't quite justify the extra whack for non existent 5900x stock and wanted a bit more oomph than the 5600x from the productivity side! Blaming impending Brexit for these rash decisions!

Now I need to hunt down the cooler bracket..

I believe I have most of one, but not the thumb screws, which I suspect renders it useless without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I ended up ordering a 5800x yesterday on Amazon that was meant to be delivered on Jan 8th. But got a dispatch there and it says it'll be delivered tomorrow. Unsure if it actually will or not. Guess I need to buy a mobo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Any have opinions on what is the best bang for buck 12 core Ryzen CPU at the moment ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Tony wrote: »
    Any have opinions on what is the best bang for buck 12 core Ryzen CPU at the moment ?

What's the workload?

If games and productivity, you should be looking at 5000 series.
    If just productivity, 3000 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Its mainly audio analysis and processing. I've been told by the software guys that the more cores the better. Thanks for replying
    SickBoy wrote: »
    What's the workload?

If games and productivity, you should be looking at 5000 series.
    If just productivity, 3000 series.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Spear wrote: »
    I believe I have most of one, but not the thumb screws, which I suspect renders it useless without them.

If it uses the same thumbscrews as the intel one installed, it might be ok?

I just need the 2 part bracket that surround it, I _think_ i found something that resembles those wingnuts.

Would you be able to spare it? Happy to send a few quid your way!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Shlippery wrote: »
    If it uses the same thumbscrews as the intel one installed, it might be ok?

I just need the 2 part bracket that surround it, I _think_ i found something that resembles those wingnuts.

Would you be able to spare it? Happy to send a few quid your way!

I'm pretty sure the thumb screws are the same, and that I used mine on the Intel bracket I used.

I don't want anything for it, it has no monetary value or use to me.

Do you want to collect it or for me to post it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I ended up ordering a 5800x yesterday on Amazon that was meant to be delivered on Jan 8th. But got a dispatch there and it says it'll be delivered tomorrow. Unsure if it actually will or not. Guess I need to buy a mobo now.

Nice!
    My 5900x order was moved up from Jan 22nd to Dec 31th-Jan 2nd

• Advertisement

Shlippery is sorted for the bracket.

Advertisement