Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

harmless wrote: »
    What are the odds of getting a motherboard that does not need an update at the moment?

Is it a mix of old and new stock that is being sold?

A lot of the X570 you can update. I know Gigabyte deffo do and I suppose others can as well but you can update the bios even without a CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

A lot of the X570 you can update. I know Gigabyte deffo do and I suppose others can as well but you can update the bios even without a CPU.

I understand you can update many boards without a CPU I just wonder if many boards are now coming with the update already installed or is it mostly older stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Shlippery wrote: »
    5800x arrived today just before I fled Dublin - now i've all I need to do the transplant!

Without derailing thread too much - anything obvious I'm missing below? I think I've covered most , but know the process will take a while..!

Prereq:
    2 usbs: 1 with the new bios to 'flash' the B550 for Zen 3, 1 with Windows installer?
    AM4 cooler mount (sorted)

1. Shut down, remove all hard drives, leave one 'ready to format' for reinstalling windows.
    2. Old Mobo out, new mobo in
    3. BIOS update (assume this is done once everything is 'transplanted' succesfully.
    4. Install windows
    5. Everything work perfectly?
    6. Add back all the old hard drives
    7. Pray?

Install the latest AMD chipset driver too.

.G. wrote: »
    Install the latest AMD chipset driver too.

Yea and not from the mobo manufacturer. Download directly from AMD's website as they have the most resent version.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,162 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is that AMD driver located in Ryzen Master?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Is that AMD driver located in Ryzen Master?

I'm pretty sure they are separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

kingtiger wrote: »
    or else boot with your previous windows install :cool:

I think I am in the minority by saying this, but I have never had problems with Windows 10 changing even from an Intel based 4790k to a Ryzen 3600 and then to the 5600x with the same Windows install

give it a shot you might be pleasantly surprised

All done, took the lazy approach, and just used the existing drives and downloaded new chipsets, etc etc.

Will reformat when I'm back at my permanent setup! Took my pc on a trip to the family home so need it to keep me occupied for the xmas before resetting it up permanently.

All looks good so far, just had to enable CSM to detect the windows drive.

I'm pretty sure they are separate.

Yeah it is.

B550 chipset drivers here

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TitianGerm wrote: »

I believe Scan will charge you UK VAT and not Irish VAT if you order direct from the website. At least they did last time I ordered with them.

Most couriers will not release an item for delivery unless VAT is paid in one of the countries that are part of the EU single market.

Perhaps they registered to collect Irish VAT recently? Can someone check a recent invoice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I believe Scan will charge you UK VAT and not Irish VAT if you order direct from the website. At least they did last time I ordered with them.

Most couriers will not release an item for delivery unless VAT is paid in one of the countries that are part of the EU single market.

Perhaps they registered to collect Irish VAT recently? Can someone check a recent invoice?

They're still charging 20% UK Vat.

Guys would you get a USB C to USB C cable in tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Guys would you get a USB C to USB C cable in tesco?

For a phone without fast charging, sure.
    For a power hungry phone or laptop, no. Get a proper Anker online.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Finally arrived yesterday and I finally got it into my hand today.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

For those asking questions about BIOS Updating on new boards i will just share my experience with a new bought Gigabyte B550 aorus pro v2.
    It seemed to work fine when i updated thru Q-flash without CPU(5800X) or RAM(TridentZneo3600) but I could never come in to BIOS i had RAM and VGA(GTX 1080) errors on the motherboard led's.

So luckily i have a computer shop near me and i bought an ASUS TUF gaming X570-plus for a reasonable price having been assured it would work out of the box, AND It Did.

I also also spoke to a tech from the place i bought the gigabyte board and i can RMA it,

The ASUS board did not have the latest BIOS but one new enough to support the new Ryzen chips

I Don't know if my Gigabyte board has a problem with BIOS updating or is just Broken but i wish i had bought the X570 board to begin with,

anyway I am well happy with this new build its fecking fast as feck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

pogcica wrote: »
    For those asking questions about BIOS Updating on new boards i will just share my experience with a new bought Gigabyte B550 aorus pro v2.

I can share my experience with an ASUS RoG Strix B550-F, purchased before the launch of Zen 3 CPUs. After installing everything, it wouldn't POST.
    Did the BIOS flash thing, and it POSTed and everything was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

JoyPad wrote: »
    I can share my experience with an ASUS RoG Strix B550-F, purchased before the launch of Zen 3 CPUs. After installing everything, it wouldn't POST.
    Did the BIOS flash thing, and it POSTed and everything was good.

Yup, same board here with 5800x, I just put everything back in the case cpu too, then did the bios flashback with the usb. Once it stopped flashing, powered on the system and all was good! Pretty smooth, although was a bit hesitant running a random bios update without a display to check progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Finally got to plug in my 5800X - toasty. Hitting 85C in Realbench and 70C in Cyberpunk. I'll try undervolting it. (Asus Prime X570-P)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

May I ask was that max burns ?

pogcica wrote: »
    So luckily i have a computer shop near me and i bought an ASUS TUF gaming X570-plus for a reasonable price having been assured it would work out of the box, AND It Did.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Finally got to plug in my 5800X - toasty. Hitting 85C in Realbench and 70C in Cyberpunk. I'll try undervolting it. (Asus Prime X570-P)

What CPU cooler are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What CPU cooler are you using?

The one off a 3700X, the Wraith Prism RGB is it?

The base of it is a disgrace in fairness.

Waiting for the Fuma to comeback into stock on Amazon at a reasonable price.

The one off a 3700X, the Wraith Prism RGB is it?

The base of it is a disgrace in fairness.

Waiting for the Fuma to comeback into stock on Amazon at a reasonable price.

That cooler is rated to cool up to 105 watts
    The 5800x is rated at 105 watts but in reality it draws more power than this.

5900x from amazon dispatched tonight. Should get it soon thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Star Lord wrote: »
    Fingers crossed! My 5900x got bumped for a second time! Jan 22nd was original date, then Dec 31st-Jan 2nd, now Dec 28th-30th!

Dispatched today, but arrival date has gone back to the 3rd, sadly, so the day before I go back to work! Should have everything by that stage though, so will be good to go then!

Dispatched today, but arrival date has gone back to the 3rd, sadly, so the day before I go back to work! Should have everything by that stage though, so will be good to go then!

Mine is too but I reckon it'll arrive before then.

Sunday delivery?

Most delivery services are not back to full operation until Monday the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sunday delivery?

Most delivery services are not back to full operation until Monday the 4th.

It'll probably be a delivery by the amazon delivery drivers. Their service for this has been excellent in the past few months, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

I found a similar issue with iCUE for RGB management. Got rid of both, 5950X idling at 28 degrees this morning.

t9AyPuk.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭FluffPiece

Must try it with epic launcher today. Mentioned it to someone last night on discord and they didn't see any extra temps with the launcher.

I idle at around 28 with the iCue rgb software anyway

Advertisement