Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

FluffPiece wrote: »
    Must try it with epic launcher today. Mentioned it to someone last night on discord and they didn't see any extra temps with the launcher.

I idle at around 28 with the iCue rgb software anyway

I was idling in the 70's before with those two installed. It kept having my cores boosted to 1.44v for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭FluffPiece

Just had a quick little test there, nothing too deep so take from it what you will.

no iCue or Epic = 35 - 38 idle temps

iCue only = 36 - 39

Epic only = 52 - 56

both Epic and iCue = 53 - 56

Even on system restarts, as soon as Epic Games Launcher is terminated, the idle temps start to drop.

FluffPiece wrote: »
    Just had a quick little test there, noting too deep so take from it what you will.

no iCue or Epic = 35 - 38 idle temps

iCue only = 36 - 39

Epic only = 52 - 56

both Epic and iCue = 53 - 56

Epic really is a mess, bloody hell.

Robert Hallock would call it a parasitic background app.

SZKLcDD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Haven't seen that behaviour myself from Epic or iCue but I read this morning that GOG Galaxy can be integrated with all the other main launchers and be used instead of them. Can be set to close the epic launcher once it launches whatever epic game your playing too apparently.

.G. wrote: »
    Haven't seen that behaviour myself from Epic or iCue but I read this morning that GOG Galaxy can be integrated with all the other main launchers and be used instead of them. Can be set to close the epic launcher once it launches whatever epic game your playing too apparently.

I've been using GoG Galaxy myself, issue is, some launchers still run in the back then; Epic's particularly does.

It's really the only one I've had issues with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mine is too but I reckon it'll arrive before then.

Saw the order tracking on Amazon shows it coming from an Amazon facility in Spain!

Star Lord wrote: »
    Saw the order tracking on Amazon shows it coming from an Amazon facility in Spain!

Yeah, Madrid to Donnington in GB. Just fly it straight to Dublin ffs :D

Yeah, Madrid to Donnington in GB. Just fly it straight to Dublin ffs :D

Same. And what's all the odder is that we got them for almost RRP on the .co.uk site, but the other EU sites, including Spain, had them for much higher prices!

Yeah all very weird that. There were ones on the Co.uk site after we ordered which promised delivery by yesterday too. Hard to work out what's going on.

Yeah all very weird that. There were ones on the Co.uk site after we ordered which promised delivery by yesterday too. Hard to work out what's going on.

Gone to Merseyside now, which tends to be the stop before they come over here, I think.

*edit* yeah, previous delivery:
    8:42 AM Out for delivery Dublin, IE
    Friday, 4 December
    11:31 PM Package arrived at the final delivery station Dublin, IE
    1:25 AM Package departed an Amazon facility Saint Helens, Merseyside GB
    Thursday, 3 December
    11:37 PM Package arrived at an Amazon facility Saint Helens, Merseyside GB

• Advertisement

Gone to Merseyside now, which tends to be the stop before they come over here, I think.

*edit* yeah, previous delivery:
    8:42 AM Out for delivery Dublin, IE
    Friday, 4 December
    11:31 PM Package arrived at the final delivery station Dublin, IE
    1:25 AM Package departed an Amazon facility Saint Helens, Merseyside GB
    Thursday, 3 December
    11:37 PM Package arrived at an Amazon facility Saint Helens, Merseyside GB

If they follow that we should have them early this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1 week later & my 5800X still hasn't shown up in ParcelMotel.

At this stage I'm worried it's been thieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1 week later & my 5800X still hasn't shown up in ParcelMotel.

At this stage I'm worried it's been thieved.

My kid's monitor has spent the last 7 days in a UPS hub in Germany. This morning, it seems to have left the place, hopefully on the way here.
    Remember that it was Christmas week, so things might not be as grim as that.

If it doesn't turn up today doesn't it get sent back to sender? 28th was their cutoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sugarman wrote: »
    You are aware Parcel Motel have suspended their UK services due to Brexit and they are not accepting / returning to sender any packages delivered there?

It arrived in Antrim on the 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It arrived in Antrim on the 21st

You should be ok as you are in the system already, however I reckon they are simply swamped the volumes and have probably started laying off staff because of Brexit already. Hope it turns up.

Fire off an email now, took them 3 weeks to answer one I sent! You need to get ahead of the game just in case!

If they follow that we should have them early this week.

We may be in luck:
    Tuesday, 29 December
    12:56 AM
    Package arrived at the final delivery station
    Dublin, IE

Still need my gpu, case, m.2, ram and AIO to arrive, but *should* all get here in the next couple of days!

We may be in luck:
    Tuesday, 29 December
    12:56 AM
    Package arrived at the final delivery station
    Dublin, IE

Still need my gpu, case, m.2, ram and AIO to arrive, but *should* all get here in the next couple of days!

Delivered just now.

It's not an empty box either thankfully!

Delivered just now.

It's not an empty box either thankfully!

Nice! Enjoy! Mine is out for delivery, but not here yet!

• Advertisement

Hopefully the rest of your stuff gets a hurry up!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

I possibly missed this earlier in the thread.

Does anyone know why the 5800x draws the same or even slightly more power than the 5900x and 5950x?

Drawing all that power for only 1 chiplet seems to make the CPU run very hot.

I'm just going on release reviews, has it been fixed?

ef13894b38e51f575fb5a36b7510ddc1.png

46e114b128f369ec02e6a5f66165e758.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

My guess, and it is a guess, is it's not as good silicon as the 5900 and 5950 and subsequently has to be given more juice to hit the clock speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

harmless wrote: »
    I possibly missed this earlier in the thread.

Does anyone know why the 5800x draws the same or even slightly more power than the 5900x and 5950x?

Drawing all that power for only 1 chiplet seems to make the CPU run very hot.

I'm just going on release reviews, has it been fixed?

You can manually set the voltage so I wouldn't put too much stock in a review if it just left it on auto. The amount of voltage needed for a given frequency varies a hell of a lot per chip anyway so again you'll have to manually set this if you want to get the most perf/watt out of it.
    In general a zen3 processor at the same clock as a zen2 one will use slightly less power.

Plenty of mobo manufacturers ship boards with voltages stupidly high only for them to change it in the next bios version - which many people won't even install. Happens with both Intel and AMD.

Yeah I had my 3600x down to 1.25v. At stock my 5900x is taking 1.44 so I'll be doing some tweeking there for sure!

Should it be possible to get the 5800x to draw less power than 5900x and 5950x in most cases since it is only a single chiplet?

You can get any of them to use less power by undervolting, same as the 3000's. Question is can it be done without hurting performance. I don't know the answer for my one yet but I could certainly achieve that with the 3600 I had up to today. Ryzen clock tuner is getting a revision for the 5000 series CPU's too so its likely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

harmless wrote: »
    Should it be possible to get the 5800x to draw less power than 5900x and 5950x in most cases since it is only a single chiplet?

The best binned chips go into the 12 and especially the 16 core models. Better binned chips tend to operate at lower voltages and can achieve better clocks.

Base voltages are a catch all voltage to cover the range of quality of silicon being used. Lowest common denominator.

You should be able to undervolt the majority of them to use less power.

BloodBath wrote: »
    The best binned chips go into the 12 and especially the 16 core models. Better binned chips tend to operate at lower voltages and can achieve better clocks.

Base voltages are a catch all voltage to cover the range of quality of silicon being used. Lowest common denominator.

You should be able to undervolt the majority of them to use less power.

Are the chiplets with only 6 working cores on the 5900x better binned than the 8 working cores on the 5800x chiplet?

The 5600x also needs far less watts per core than the 5800x is the 5600x a better bin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No idea.

The yields are meant to be excellent on their 7nm process so they may well be cutting down perfectly good chips just for market segmentation.

Advertisement