Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

harmless wrote: »
    The 5600x also needs far less watts per core than the 5800x is the 5600x a better bin?

Reduction in clock speed may account for it maybe helping the 5800X might be right on the edge.

Glad I ended up with the 5800X in the end with Oculus opening and background apps (like the work Virtual Desktop :pac: ) when I'm in VR. I've convinced myself I need the extra two cores for multitasking. Hopefully snagged a Fuma 2 for £58ish delivered to NI so hoping that's not too bad for that unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My 5900x hitting 1.513v while playing a game! Much adjustment to do! Max temp was still only 65 degrees though so nothing to be concerned about.

Doesn't get up to 4.8Ghz on any core. 4.75 highest I've seen so far.

I'm aware what 1:1 is with memory clock to Fabric, but what's 1:1:1?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm aware what 1:1 is with memory clock to Fabric, but what's 1:1:1?

Uclock, Fclock and memory clock.

• Advertisement

Uclock, Fclock and memory clock.

What's Uclock? Apart from something the wife shouts at me when she see's the credit card bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://twitter.com/galyonkin/status/1343728623614881794

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

(re: Epic Games Store idle bug)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

.G. wrote: »
    My 5900x hitting 1.513v while playing a game! Much adjustment to do! Max temp was still only 65 degrees though so nothing to be concerned about.

Doesn't get up to 4.8Ghz on any core. 4.75 highest I've seen so far.

What cooler are you using with it?

Star Lord wrote: »
    What cooler are you using with it?

Corsair H100i

• Advertisement

Fair to say I didn't get a golden sample 5900x. Can only add 75 to PBO before she BSODs all over the shop and can barely use the curve optimiser too.

5800x package has arrived in Dublin, guess they were just swamped & I had too much post purchasing regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Got the rest of my bits yesterday, and all up and running now. Couldn't get over how quickly Windows installed from a USB to the m2 drive!

Idling about 40C and getting to high 70s in Cyberpunk 2077 - I'm wondering if I should just stick with my current cooler (Wraith Prism RGB), not so worried about noise as I wear a head set. Got a Fuma 2 on order would that be a lot quieter? Would it be much cooler? I see people with decent AIOs getting similar gaming temps.

Also I'm on an ASUS Prime X570-P does anyone know how I can get more control over the fans? The QFan control in the BIOS insists that a CPU temp over 70C = 100% fan. Ideally I don't want to have to install the ASUS bloatware.

Idling about 40C and getting to high 70s in Cyberpunk 2077 - I'm wondering if I should just stick with my current cooler (Wraith Prism RGB), not so worried about noise as I wear a head set. Got a Fuma 2 on order would that be a lot quieter? Would it be much cooler? I see people with decent AIOs getting similar gaming temps.

Also I'm on an ASUS Prime X570-P does anyone know how I can get more control over the fans? The QFan control in the BIOS insists that a CPU temp over 70C = 100% fan. Ideally I don't want to have to install the ASUS bloatware.

I've a cheap coolermaster tower. Like a coolermaster 212 but it's not one of them but looks similar.

But I have a switch wired 5v one side and 12 volts the other side connected to my CPU fan and switch to 5v for pure silence and 12 v when gaming. Someone once said on here why not just use a fan profile but I prefer it the way i have it as I had it done to my old system for 10 years without issues and no issues with this system.

With a fan profile you can get spikes which I don't have to deal with as at 5 volts even in the dead of the night when everything is silent I cannot even hear my PC fans.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    5800x package has arrived in Dublin, guess they were just swamped & I had too much post purchasing regret.

Huh, got a late email there.
    I can confirm we have your parcel here - it arrived without your PMid.

I have advised the operations team to update the parcel with your details - you will receive notification once this is ready for collection

So while it's in Dublin now, I feel like someone might've tried to pull a fast one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

suspect overclockers may have 5900x stock coming available if anyone interested, i had one on preorder (ordered dec 27th) and just got the ship notice. fully aware they had the usual OC tax on top, but suspected it was easier given they were irish vat registered

edit: sorry, i see that they had 100 left over which sold out in a few minutes.

I'll be putting a 5800X up for sale shortly.

Unopened of course.

I'll be putting a 5800X up for sale shortly.

Unopened of course.

Why don't you want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

mossym wrote: »
    suspect overclockers may have 5900x stock coming available if anyone interested, i had one on preorder (ordered dec 27th) and just got the ship notice. fully aware they had the usual OC tax on top, but suspected it was easier given they were irish vat registered

It's crazy, seems deliveries seem far more limited than 5800x/5950x. Scan's update have 3 batches that would easily sort their preorders but seem to have disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

mossym wrote: »

OCUK got a big shipment of 5900x today and had 100 left over which were sold in 10 mins.
    They are taking more pre-orders as more stock is expected soon.

Why don't you want it?

It's not worth the upgrade for my gaming-only rig @1440p.
    I feel stupid for buying it.

Welcome to the club, but we deserve a wee treat now and again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Are you guys just putting in preorders? I can't get any stock whatsoever - even having multiple Telegram notification; A few times I went to the vendors immediately and all I got was "out of stock" :eek:

Quite amazing how the "perfect storm" was cooked up between the production slowdowns due to the pandemic, the "bot pandemic" and now the fcucking cryptocurrencies again. Heck I had forgotten about the crypto thing, a couple of years ago I was in the Microcenter in Brooklyn and the GPU aisle looked like the toilet paper one in Tesco in March :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I love mine :pac: even if it's completely over the top for my 'mainly' gaming rig @1440p... definitely seeing benefits over my old processor even if I'd probably have seen those same benefits with a 5600x........but we'll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Are you guys just putting in preorders? I can't get any stock whatsoever - even having multiple Telegram notification; A few times I went to the vendors immediately and all I got was "out of stock" :eek:

Quite amazing how the "perfect storm" was cooked up between the production slowdowns due to the pandemic, the "bot pandemic" and now the fcucking cryptocurrencies again. Heck I had forgotten about the crypto thing, a couple of years ago I was in the Microcenter in Brooklyn and the GPU aisle looked like the toilet paper one in Tesco in March :D

I'm in the same boat. Got a motherboard and RAM on Black Friday and here I sit. Thought I'd dodged most of the frustration by delaying my GPU upgrade until the halfstep updated but at this rate those will be out of stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Welcome to the club, but we deserve a wee treat now and again :pac:

After the year we had, totally deserved!
    Who's with me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Corsair iCue needs to burn in a fire, that's the one downside of having the Corsair AIO...(and maybe a few other peripherals..) ...always has crazy usage, even with the 5800x!

.G. wrote: »
    Fair to say I didn't get a golden sample 5900x. Can only add 75 to PBO before she BSODs all over the shop and can barely use the curve optimiser too.

Turns out this was rubbish. Its seems to be a widespread problem that the current agesa versions don't like high FCLK settings anything above 1600 seems to be problematic when used with the 5000 series. Mine was 1800 with my 3600 ram.

I was never even able to boot with PBO +200Mhz on the bios but reduced FCLK to 1600 and it worked straight away! More testing to do now to see what this thing is capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Do Currys UK post to Ireland? They have the 5600x for £280

Advertisement