Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

xtal191 wrote: »
    Do Currys UK post to Ireland? They have the 5600x for £280

No, you'll need to use AddressPal but might get charged by the taxman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

JoyPad wrote: »
    After the year we had, totally deserved!
    Who's with me?!

Nah it's going on Adverts at 6pm ;)

I'll get myself a monitor later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

.G. wrote: »
    Turns out this was rubbish. Its seems to be a widespread problem that the current agesa versions don't like high FCLK settings anything above 1600 seems to be problematic when used with the 5000 series. Mine was 1800 with my 3600 ram.

I was never even able to boot with PBO +200Mhz on the bios but reduced FCLK to 1600 and it worked straight away! More testing to do now to see what this thing is capable of.

Hopefully a new AGESA update incoming late january/early february according to AMD..happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Hopefully a new AGESA update incoming late january/early february according to AMD..happy days

Hopefully it works. My joy was shortlived. WHEA errors aplenty regardless of FCLK setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Hopefully it works. My joy was shortlived. WHEA errors aplenty regardless of FCLK setting.

Yeah i had some issues as well..including crackling when mouse moved and memory timing problems..Turning c-state off and not using xmp solved those for the moment.I heard this will all be fixed with the new AGESA..hope yours gets sorted too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Hello gents!
    I'm very new to AMD CPUs, I've had only Intel since 1996 or so.

I have a 5950X on a B550 motherboard, with an AIO cooler. With the default profile, it idles around 45C, with fans quiet.

With that profile, it gets a score of about 9350 in Cinebench R20 (one run, all cores). According to RyzenMaster, it runs at around 3.6Ghz across all cores, and the temps are about 65C with the fans quiet.

If I activate the PBO profile, the cores run at around 4.3GHz, with fans at 100% and it gets throttled by the temps, which reach 90C.

Is this normal?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Hello gents!
    I'm very new to AMD CPUs, I've had only Intel since 1996 or so.

I have a 5950X on a B550 motherboard, with an AIO cooler. With the default profile, it idles around 45C, with fans quiet.

With that profile, it gets a score of about 9350 in Cinebench R20 (one run, all cores). According to RyzenMaster, it runs at around 3.6Ghz across all cores, and the temps are about 65C with the fans quiet.

If I activate the PBO profile, the cores run at around 4.3GHz, with fans at 100% and it gets throttled by the temps, which reach 90C.

Is this normal?
    Thanks!

You need a better/bigger AIO for a 16core CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What AIO is it? It's either mounted wrong or just not up to cooling that. Is it a 120mm?

You really want a good 280mm or 360mm for that cpu if you want to push the clocks up. They will do up to around 4.8Ghz.

BloodBath wrote: »
    What AIO is it? It's either mounted wrong or just not up to cooling that. Is it a 120mm?

You really want a good 280mm or 360mm for that cpu if you want to push the clocks up. They will do up to around 4.8Ghz.

It's a 240mm ASUS something.
    I didn't apply any paste, it came with paste pre-applied, and I was careful not to touch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

What PBO profile did you select? My CPU is different (3900X), but they do have the same TDP - I found out that selecting anything but just "Enabled" in the PBO BIOS item just results in higher temperatures and higher power draw (I've seen upwards of 180W on HWMonitor), while the performance (at least according to Cinebench) remains pretty much the same.

Currently, with PBO just "enabled", the all core test on Cb20 settles at 4.1GHz and produces a score of whereabouts 7200, with temperatures around the 75c marker. Cooler is an NZXT X62 (280mm), but I had a 240mm before and the results were pretty much the same.

If the PBO profile isn't doing something crazy, try reseating the cooler (you'll have to clean up the existing thermal compound and reapply, so make sure you have a tube of decent stuff around).

• Advertisement

The PBO menu for the 5000 series chips has way more options now when you choose the advanced tab. Can optimise each core's voltage curve and stuff like that. Substantial boosts are available with lower temps when it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The PBO menu for the 5000 series chips has way more options now when you choose the advanced tab. Can optimise each core's voltage curve and stuff like that. Substantial boosts are available with lower temps when it works well.

Then any of these might be set to something incongruent :D

Although in all fairness, JoyPad is talking about "profiles", so I assume he's selected something pre-made in the BIOS?

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Then any of these might be set to something incongruent :D

Although in all fairness, JoyPad is talking about "profiles", so I assume he's selected something pre-made in the BIOS?

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but when I said this is my first AMD CPU since 1996, I meant I am a total noob when it comes to RyzenMaster and everything about it.

When I start this application, I see a short list on the left, with Home, Creator Mode, Game Mode, Profile 1 and Profile 2.

Profile 1 has PBO mode selected, while Profile 2 has Default mode selected. I have not touched anything else, other than clicking on one of them, then clicking "Apply and Test" button at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but when I said this is my first AMD CPU since 1996, I meant I am a total noob when it comes to RyzenMaster and everything about it.

When I start this application, I see a short list on the left, with Home, Creator Mode, Game Mode, Profile 1 and Profile 2.

Profile 1 has PBO mode selected, while Profile 2 has Default mode selected. I have not touched anything else, other than clicking on one of them, then clicking "Apply and Test" button at the bottom.

Do not mess about with RyzenMaster if you want to change anything do it in bios. RyzenMaster is just a handy tool for checking things. I know you can change things but I wouldn't as I remember reading on other forums settings can stay set even when you don't want them. Things could have changed now but for handiest sake just use the bios.

Agreed. The features I mentioned are only in the Bios at the moment although due to be built into Ryzen Master too.

lots of 5600x's on OCUK right now for £299.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

lots of 5600x's on OCUK right now for £299.

They ship with DPD don't they? So most likely a long wait seeing as DPD UK have halted deliveries to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They ship with DPD don't they? So most likely a long wait seeing as DPD UK have halted deliveries to Ireland.

You cant even order anything as no delivery method can be chosen.

An post AddressPal?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

An post AddressPal?
    That's an option if you don't mind paying VAT twice.

UK VAT @20%; and the Irish VAT on top of that @21%

• Advertisement

Do not mess about with RyzenMaster if you want to change anything do it in bios. RyzenMaster is just a handy tool for checking things. I know you can change things but I wouldn't as I remember reading on other forums settings can stay set even when you don't want them. Things could have changed now but for handiest sake just use the bios.

I'm circling back to this discussion for three reasons.

First, I tried the same overclock on my son's PC. His 5950X came in a bundle from Scan, with a similar AIO cooler that was pre-installed. The exact same thing happened during Cinebench run, temps hitting 90C and staying there. I can conclude from here that my cooler installation is good enough to match the one did by Scan, albeit their bundle travelled from UK to Ireland and could have suffered along the way. I don't think it did.

Second, I've tried RyzenMaster for convenience. I know nothing about overclocking, let alone about overclocking an AMD CPU. I don't think I need the OC anyway, it was just something I wanted to try, and I thought RyzenMaster is exactly for people like me, who can push an OC button for extra oomph, when needed. I don't plan to use it much, just wanted to see what was available.

Finally, the third reason I circled back to this was this article. My first reaction, as well as some people here, was that my cooling solution is inadequate. But it turns out that 90C is not necessarily a bad thing with a CPU like the 5950X.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts, if you got anything to add.
    Should I be worried about my cooler installation? Open it up and re-paste it, when it idles at 45C? My case is not great for air flow (Fractal Design Define R5), and the attic where I work is pretty stuffy, so 45C wouldn't be the end of the world, right?

Thanks!

Don't mess with ryzen master.
    Just enable PBO and auto OC in bios name makes sure your memory is paired 1:1:1 and you'll get as close to optimal performance as makes no odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Overclocking on ryzen is a bit of a misnomer imo. The chips are generally already running close to max performance. You get more benefit from undervolting as the voltage tends to be higher than it needs to be and you get substantial benefits in heat levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Overclocking on ryzen is a bit of a misnomer imo. The chips are generally already running close to max performance. You get more benefit from undervolting as the voltage tends to be higher than it needs to be and you get substantial benefits in heat levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

From what i have found there are 2 ways to overclock ryzen 5000 one is for single core performance and other for all core. you cant really do both atm unless you have a ROG Dark Hero motherboard. I know that the Clocktuner for ryzen by 1USMUS is to be released at the end of the month which is able to give you the same dynamic overclock as the dark hero can. When you are getting high multicore usage it will give you the best all core OC and single core will OC when its only low core usage.

For now i am undervolting and overclocking. I have a 5950x... i use the curve optimiser in the bios set to -15 and pbo2 at +200Mhz. This seems to get me over 5Ghz. Not by much, mind you, but it gets me there. I will be going with the clocktuner once the ryzen 5000 version is publicly available.

Joypad I also idle at 45 degrees with a x63 (280mm AIO). I dont really top 70 under load. I have not pushed an all core overclock on this cpu. I have only gone with a 1.2vcore and get to 4.45Ghz all core with that voltage and again never breaks 70 with that. I dont like to do this though as with previous model ryzen i know sustained voltage of 1.2 under load can cause degradation of your cpu. Havent heard definitively about 5000 models but im not taking that chance for a small benefit to my day to day use.

EDIT
    Just for those interested
    https://wccftech.com/clock-tuner-for-ryzen-cpus-gets-amd-zen-3-cpu-support-in-ctr-2-0-release-hybrid-oc-mode/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Should I be worried about my cooler installation? Open it up and re-paste it, when it idles at 45C? My case is not great for air flow (Fractal Design Define R5), and the attic where I work is pretty stuffy, so 45C wouldn't be the end of the world, right?

Thanks!

I have a 5600x with PBO activated cooled by a 240mm AIO (fans silent at 1100rpm.)
    I get 28c idle and 64c stressed.
    My ambient room temp is about 17c

Your case temps shouldn't make a huge difference as you are cooling the CPU with air from the room not the case (unless your fans are the wrong way round)

If your attic is very warm you will not get low temps on the cpu.
    My idle temps are 11c over room temp.

if you are concerned about temps you could try undervolting the CPU.
    PBO 2 could give you lower temps

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Thanks!
    The new chiplets are very dense with a fair bit of power going into them.

I'd be more focused on max temps under actual workloads. not benchmarks. (but benchmarks/stress tests are still good for stability tests)
    If the CPU is not trotting back don't worry, the main concern is are you losing performance due to heat?

Yes heat will accelerate denigration of the processor but it shouldn't cause issues for over a decade, it's still having an easier life than most performance laptop CPU's that are constantly hitting max temp. And they don't fail too frequently.

One thing you could try is undervolting, many motherboards provide more voltage than the CPU needs creating more heat.
    A small undervolt can even automatically increase boost clock speeds with the extra thermal headroom. I've no idea how this is done on Zen 3 but I'm sure there are loads of guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 batmansDad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

What would be the best budget board to stick a 3600 into these days?

Only looking to spend about €140-€150

Advertisement