Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

The 5800x is a good bit under RRP on amazon.de for a good while now - 429e.

I was originally going to get the 5600x but something about having 8 cores / 16 threads appeals to me - I won't just use it for gaming but for some applications that require a lot of processing power, plus I like the idea of having a 8 core cpu going into the next console generation.

The only thing sort of holding me back from it is I read online it runs very hot, but others their temps seem fine so I don't know, luck of the lottery I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I've had a bit of a nightmare so far with my 5800x and MSI x570 Tomahawk

First go around, machine would not post with failure on CPU or RAM leds.

RMA'd motherboard, and now it only boots with a single RAM stick in the A channels. So I have 2x8 GB in A1 and A2 and 2x8GB on the shelf gathering dust.

I'm not sure if the memory controller on the CPU is bad, or if I got another dud motherboard. Looking on Newegg and the failure rate is like 15% for the board.
    Haven't even bothered to to start tweaking or anything yet.
    I've ordered a 3600 just to test if I can run the RAM in A2+B2 (This is the second time I've done this lol, thank god Amazon are easy returns)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Lukker- wrote: »
    I've had a bit of a nightmare so far with my 5800x and MSI x570 Tomahawk

Sounds very annoying alright, there's nothing worse than spending decent money on things with a lot of expectations only to run into problems. Hopefully you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

My 5600X finally arrived today, I was starting to give up hope because a good few guys said on here they got their direct-from-AMD orders within a week... Managed to get the order in on the 18th; order confirmed on the 22nd; shipped on the 24th with DHL. DHL tracking is next to useless as there were no updates beyond the initial one that they took it in. Got an email from Fastway this morning that they have it, 14 minutes later the van pulled up to the house. The CPU wasn't packed very well, it arrived in a box 6 times the size of the retail packaging with no padding, allowing it to rattle around. Although there's no visible damage, considering AMD's absolutely idiotic box design that has the CPU peeking out the side window, with essentially only a thin layer of plastic "protecting" it, I'm not sitting comfortably until the mobo arrives and I can test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If there is no visible damage to the heat spreader and no bent pins you're more thank likely okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did anyone manage to get an order for the 5800X at £307 on Amazon earlier? Raging I missed it.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/5800x-amazon-uk-3697966

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did anyone manage to get an order for the 5800X at £307 on Amazon earlier? Raging I missed it.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/5800x-amazon-uk-3697966

Mainland UK only I think? Those Amazon EU deals are usually specific to the country of the site they're listed on.

Edit: it's actually still available for that price if you have a UK address. If you go through to the checkout the price drops to £307.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I switched my build from an Intel 11600K to a 5800x. I picked what I thought was an equivalent Asus TUF on the AMD platform Asus TUF x570 Plus Gaming and only looked at reviews...after ordering....silly I know. It came out before COVID even existed nevermind Zen 3 back at the beginning of 2020!!

Did I make a mistake or will the TUF x570 Plus be a good match for the 5800x?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Calibos wrote: »
    Did I make a mistake or will the TUF x570 Plus be a good match for the 5800x?

https://carbonite.co.za/index.php?threads/motherboard-vrm-tier-list-amd.313386/ Tier A according to this list, so should be fine so long as it has a zen 3 compatible bios pre-installed. It should come preloaded with one at this stage. If it boots update the bios asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone know what day the drops usually happen in the AMD store?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone know what day the drops usually happen in the AMD store?

Today 4.30 but could be different since the clock changes.

Today 4.30 but could be different since the clock changes.

Which store is best now. France or Spain (AMD store?)

All Eyes On Rafah

Which store is best now. France or Spain (AMD store?)

They have a Irish one. https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/ie

Legend.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Guess it'll be around 5.40 so

xtal191 wrote: »
    Guess it'll be around 5.40 so

Must be. The change of clocks and no drops at 4.30 or since then.

Is the AMD shop a bit dodge on mobile, seems to get 'this page is unavailable' compared to browsing on the PC?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It shows that error if you refresh too often, it doesn't take much refreshing to get timed out. I could access on my phone when it wouldn't work on my laptop, but 5 refreshes later my phone was showing the same error.
    The page you are trying to access is currently unavailable
    Reference 0.41ce7a5c.1617295850.5c4eae2c

Inquitus wrote: »
    It shows that error if you refresh too often, it doesn't take much refreshing to get timed out. I could access on my phone when it wouldn't work on my laptop, but 5 refreshes later my phone was showing the same error.

Bot prevention technique? If so, id be okay with that.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bot prevention technique? If so, id be okay with that.

Indeed it is a bot prevention policy, but the side effect is it means we can't refresh much making it even more of a lottery, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Down for me on desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Not looking good this week

Its up on my VPN, so must be an IP bot prevention thing.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've found that deleting the cookie sometimes lets you back into AMD site but mostly its says "page not redirecting properly" . Has anyone noticed if 5950's ever appear on there ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    I've found that deleting the cookie sometimes lets you back into AMD site but mostly its says "page not redirecting properly" . Has anyone noticed if 5950's ever appear on there ?

Can't say I did see them pop up on there but I wasn't really looking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tony wrote: »

Yeah its ballsed. Best you can do is block cookies (removing them doesnt always fix it) from browser settings temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its up on my VPN, so must be an IP bot prevention thing.

Nope, bots don't get affected by it, seems to be a browser/cookie thing. From what I saw the site has zero effort put in for bots. I'd assume any 68xx products are snapped up by scripts in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The site usually goes haywire on Thursdays from about 4PM onwards. Deleting cookies helps.

5900x for sale on Mindfactory if you have a German address.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Where I went just to look and it's priced €679

Advertisement