Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

In my case I ordered on Amazon Dec 23rd 2020 and got email saying the following with promo code in it:

'This promotion requires you to have your AMD Ryzen CPU installed before you attempt to validate your coupon code.

To Redeem your Game Key from AMDREWARDS.COM please follow the steps below:

Step 1: Go to www.amdrewards.com

Step 2: Create an Account and Sign-in

Step 3: Enter your coupon code. Then follow the steps-by-step process to redeem your reward(s).

Step 4: Check the MY REWARDS page to view or activate your Game Keys.'

May not apply to all, but could be a few here who bought during promo window!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Any advice on an aircooler for AIO for a 5800x?

I have an MSI MAG Core Liquid 240R AIO atm but I'm getting silly temps while gaming and last night I have the sytem crash from over heating.

I had reseated the cooler recently as I was cleaning the system (dust) and thought maybe it was a mounting pressure of thermal paste issue but I reseated and reapplied paste and it's still getting very hot and it spikes MASSIVELY.

In games it gets up to 85c+ and even after undervolting a bit it still peaks in the mid-high 80's and only boosts to 4.5ghz at 1.30v.

Any tips of getting temps under control or do I just need a better cooler?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Do you have the AIO top-mounted?

What are the fan & pump speeds?

Generally an AIO you shouldn't be seeing above 80C with fans at 1000rpm.

If you can refund the MSI though I would do that, and get a 280/360mm unit from Arctic, NZXT or Lian Li instead.

yeah top mounted as exhaust, I was thinking about it just now, the pump is in the rad, it shuld probably be front mounted?

pump speeds were in the 4000s and fan speeds maxed out too.

I think its just a **** AIO tbh?

can't get a refund was bought from CCL last year and used for ages without really bothering me just annoying me now I'm noticing how high the temps are (never really monitored them before).

I have a lancool 215 so I don't really want to remove the two massive fans in the front and move the AIO there so I'm thinking instead I just change the AIO to something like an Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 240 and top mount that instead?

• Advertisement

Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB would be a better buy; or a big tower like Scythe Fuma II, be quiet Dark Rock 4 or Noctua NH-U14S / D15 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Is the LF II 280 going to fit in the top of a lancool 215? Their site says the top supports "280MM radiator with max 55MM thick" and the LF II models are 65mm so I think you would want to do a lot of checking that it would actually fit with whatever components are in there.

No, the 240 will, I could put a 360 in the front either, but that changes everything about how the case looks.

I think the 240 seems fine from reviews, maybe K.O.Kiki is right and a big tower cooler would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Even the 240 would need checking as they say the same 55mm for it though that's probably overly cautious. Personally I'd always lean towards air unless I was planning to try and overclock the snot out of something and then I'd be thinking a 280 or 360.

Ah, I misunderstood their dimensions. Thought 55mm was for the radiator alone.

Liquid Freezer II 280 & Lancool 215 not compatible - confirmed

• Advertisement

I've fitted the ALF 240 in a 215 already and it fits grand, just need to use the outside (closest to glass) screw slots instead of the inner ones.

Feck it, that's the plan so. It's either that or the 360 and a difference case...

Sure chuck a Noctua NH-D15 at it.

They're massive but quiet, and as effective as an AIO.

I seem to have fixed it....

When it was under load it was drawing over 1.4v (which is insane I know) and this was happening at stock, with PBO enabled, or in eco mode.

I found a video on youtube where a guy solved the same issue by going to bios PBO settings and selecting advanced and setting "platform thermal throttle limit" or something like that to 75 (setting it to limit at 75c) and applied the same thing he did.

Now I get the same boost clocks, (4.6/5 ghz, seems to be all I ever get?) and doesn't go over 1.35v and seems to settle at about 1.28v at 4.450ghz for prolonged loads, which is agrand, and doesn't go over 75c, and is now idling in the low 30s.

I'll keep an eye on this over the next few days, see how it works in gaming before buying new kit.

After a bit more tinkering and searching I found a video (below) by an Irish youtuber showing a good guideline for undervolting. I combined that guide with setting the thermal limit to 75 and now I'm getting single core bosts over 4,800mhz and sustained all core boosts of 4.5-4.6 while staying below the thermal limit and in the 1.3v range.

Very happy with these results, Imagine what I'd get with a cooler that isn't a POS? 😵

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZOFcdGp8s&ab_channel=FutureProofTechTalk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Der8auer pushed Ryzen 5000 to the limit for many many hours at CPU at 100% load. And he was pushing high volts on purpose.

I can't wait for AMD's event in two days. Hopefully the new 3D chips aren't too dear as I may upgrade my 3700X. I'm broke atm but may move stuff around and find the cash some where. Credit card ftw! 😎

Right Ryzen 7 5800X3D makes sense that there is no higher skews as there would be no room for the 3D cache as the space would be taking up by cores.

Supposedly according AMD it beats Intels top new chip in gaming performance. No price giving and if it is the top gaming chip I'd say it will be dear.

I just watched a Gamers Nexus video and they reckon there could be more 3D cache CPU's but they just didn't announce them. But that is just guess work on their part they got no official conformation. Why they think that is they said AMD showed off in the past a 5950X with 3D cache.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Anandtech reported that there was unlikely to be different SKU's with 3D Cache. https://www.anandtech.com/show/17152/amd-cpus-in-2022-ces

<blockquote>For those that have been following AMD’s V-Cache news over this past year, I bet you have exactly the same questions I did when AMD first briefed us on this announcement. Here is a summary of the questions I asked, and my interpretations of the responses.

Why only Ryzen 7, not Ryzen 5/Ryzen 9? Because this is a new project for AMD, they want to find out how a processor like this will be welcomed into the market. A lot of users (myself included) expected AMD to go all-in with a big 16-core version, however anything Ryzen 9 requires two chiplets, and adding the extra V-Cache does require an extra cost in silicon and packaging. During a semiconductor shortage, I was told that this is the best way to get it into the hands of many people while also not in the super high-cost bracket. It also means one single unified 96 MB of L3 cache, without having to deal with two chiplets worth which might not be optimized immediately. Future versions of V-Cache on next-generation products may be expanded to other Ryzen members of the family.

The frequencies are lower than the regular 5800X? The cache does add a few watts to the power both in terms of idle and load. Rather than bin a stricter chiplet, the decision was made to reduce the frequency a little, but still allow overclocking. The chip, while listed at 105 W, still has the 142 W package power tracking for motherboards that support it. 

Who is this chip for? The focus is on users playing video games over anything else. The extra cache is meant to help with communications with discrete graphics cards, offering additional performance above the regular R7 5800X. Productivity workloads are less likely to be affected, and for those users the regular Ryzen CPUs are expected to be better. The Ryzen 7 5800X3D is designed to be the ‘World’s Fastest Gaming Processor’ (when compared to the 5900X and 12900K).</blockquote>

Ex-hexus has a review of the 12400 and it looks like the 5600x is redundant. https://www.club386.com/intel-core-i5-12400-review/. Same out better performance for 120 quid less! I was always surprised at the size of the price hike for the zen3 parts but I suppose in this market everything sells so its unlikely amd will institute a price cut.

Zen4 being "h2" means "November" I suspect.

• Advertisement

If that were the case they'd have said "q3" because it sounds better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They may want to give a broad range of dates so as to inconvenience Intel for any potential Sapphire Rapids or Raptor Lake release.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭blackbullet

got a lenvo desktop ryzen 5 600g the only reason for xmas for 630 euro 0ver 300 knockt off cooler-cpu-and gpu ll in one the only reason i went for the one was because of the gpu shortage amd radeon graphics very silent on when booted up testing blender on it so far all good down here

I liked Steve's comment on the 5600 review that at least with the current situation there is some degree of competition and choice. Have to say as soon as the mashed up stack of "zen3 but take off a third, plus some previous gen OEM apus" was released as a response to Intel the writing was on the wall for AMD at the lower end. At least it forced them to drop some prices, and the 5600 is where it should originally have been priced.

The 5800X3D is looking like a great CPU for those still on AM4. Beating out the €800 plus i9 12900KS in most games plus you need expensive DDR5 on that platform too. So most already have the DDR4 RAM and MB so a cheap upgrade if you game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Has anyone ordered a 5800X3D? I've just orded one today for my gaming rig as then I can use my 5950X in my work pc. Saves me upgrading to Intel until the next round of cpu's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

• Advertisement

No but I could have ordered one direct from AMD as I was in the line to access the AMD website and got in and the 5800X3D was there to order for a little over €500 but I didn't bother in the end. It is a great CPU to buy if you have the money and you game.

I will get one eventually maybe when the new AM5 CPU's are released later in the year. I know already I do not have the money to upgrade to latest and greatest so the previous AM4 best gaming CPU will have to and hopefully it will be available cheaper than it is now.

Advertisement