Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I'm thinking microsoft have pushed out an Windows 10 update that has helped Ryzen in some games as I'm seeing this type of comment more and more around sites:

(note they could be fake I understand and if real, it's probably been a combo of things as well as helped by new and better UEFI updates too... )

"So, I'm strangely getting better performance at the same CPU clock, same RAM speed, same PC, same everything (except EFI for the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero - running 1001 ATM as opposed to 0902 for the initial Ryzen 1700X review) and a Windows 10 update that I've received a few days ago (a larger than usual one). I'm getting upwards of +10-12fps in some areas in Watch_Dogs 2 and Mafia 3. I also specified this in the video.

It seems I'm not the only one that has observed better performance lately. Anyway, all you Ryzen CPU owners can help get to the bottom of this: if you have tests done immediately after the CPU's release (read: somewhere close after release...) and can retest now, that would be awesome.

Not all games run better, mind you! I have the same performance in Rise of the Tomb Raider or GTA5, for example. I know for sure WD2 and Mafia 3 run better than they did"

I like this as without game's updates themselves we can close that gap for real... makes me wonder what it will be like after everything's been updated:

RYZEN + 3600MHZ RAM - closing the 7700K gap in gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Saw this too. Looks promising. I'm surprised at how much more stable a lot of the BIOSs on the Ryzen boards are now. Or maybe that should be, I'm surprised how unstable they were at launch. :P Given that Linus was only able to get 2666MHz stable, and people are getting 3600MHz going now, that's pretty impressive.

Hopefully we'll see follow up reviews in a month or so whenever Ryzen 5 hits.

Sad to see this thread not getting more use...:confused:

Update on my build: my 3200 G.skill RAM arrived can't wait to get all the bits now!
    Got sick of waiting for Overclockrs.co.uk to get my mobo in (Asrock X370 Taichi back orders are nuts apparently) so on hearing that some eastern european sites tend to have stock first I went hunting and luckily found one that had 3, but only 1 left by the time I hit buy only seconds later... you gotta be quick apparently. It's shipped and on its way already too (only 6 euro delivery :) )

As for CPU, I still can't decide between the 1600x the 1600 (is the 100 Mhz boost worth it) or even the 1500, why the 1500 you may ask, well with only 4 cores and 8 threads (so potentially no cross talk between cores than having say 6 cores or more, may end up being a better gaming/ overclocking chip over all)

If you guys don't want to get these updates just say so and I'll stop but was just wanting to add something new to this ghosttown thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Keep us updated :)

Let us know how you get on overclocking that ram.

• Advertisement

Ashes of the Singularity gets it's Ryzen performance update

shows its about +- 6 FPS better off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

god's toy wrote: »
    Sad to see this thread not getting more use...:confused:

I would really love to have something to add to this thread ;) but am holding off for while. If you want sad, the start of this thread was depressing, it felt that everything red was being derided by those that may lean more to the blue side - am glad it got this far.
    why the 1500 you may ask, well with only 4 cores and 8 threads (so potentially no cross talk between cores than having say 6 cores or more, may end up being a better gaming/ overclocking chip over all)

There has been some discussion around this, and tbh it's unlikely to be a 4:0 part, AMD have commented on it [url=]here[/url]
    So when dealing with a four-core or six-core CPU, and the base core design has eight-cores, how does AMD cut them up? It is possible for AMD to offer a 4+0, 3+1 or 2+2 design for its quad-core parts, or 4+2 and 3+3 variants for its hexacore parts, similar to the way that Intel cuts up its integrated graphics for GT1 variants. The downside with this way is that performance might differ between the variants, making it difficult to manage. The upside is that more CPUs with defects can be used.

We have confirmation from AMD that there are no silly games going to be played with Ryzen 5. The six-core parts will be a strict 3+3 combination, while the four-core parts will use 2+2. This will be true across all CPUs, ensuring a consistent performance throughout.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No way of avoiding the cross talk then. The key to good performance seems to be overclocking the crap out of the ram / data fabric which massively speeds up the cross talk.

Ah so a 3+3 and 2+2 .Grr cross talk it is then regardless... Yea well that answers that (we just have to find a core enabler now lol!) Shame they won't put a 4+0 out all the same.

Now just have to decide if the 100Mhz bump in the X variant is worth it or not. :eek:

Ah so a 3+3 and 2+2 .Grr cross talk it is then regardless... Yea well that answers that (we just have to find a core enabler now lol!) Shame they won't put a 4+0 out all the same.

Now just have to decide if the 100Mhz bump in the X variant is worth it or not. :eek:

It doesn't really make sense. The whole point of Ryzen is that it's scaleable through modular parts (CCXs). If they have to bin parts such that they end up with a 4+0 config, that inflates prices and limits scaleability.

• Advertisement

Ah so a 3+3 and 2+2 .Grr... Yea well that answers that (we just have to find a core enabler now lol!) Shame they won't put a 4+0 out all the same.

The X varients have higher XFR ranges. The XFR will overclock the main core above your turbo speeds. I think it's 100Mhz on the X range and 50Mhz on the non X.

There will be a single CCX 4/8 later in the year as well but it will be an APU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I could be totally wrong but I watched OC3D youtube videos and he said all the X variants of chips show an extra 20 degrees automatically so when overclocked it reports that it is 80 degrees so fans will be at 100 percent. I could be totally wrong but that is what I picked up from his video. I should really watch the video again to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

I could be totally wrong but I watched OC3D youtube videos and he said all the X variants of chips show an extra 20 degrees automatically so when overclocked it reports that it is 80 degrees so fans will be at 100 percent. I could be totally wrong but that is what I picked up from his video. I should really watch the video again to make sure.

Yes that's correct - it was detailed on a number of sites. Consistent fan policy apparently.

D.

Just got a stock alert from one of the many sites I have monitoring for R5!
    Followed the link and it did say BUY when clicked! ...until I refreshed the screen where it changed to 'Notify me' again. (God knows why I did that, probably would have errored out anyway)

I know you're going to say, it's not out till the 11th, while true, I know many stores have already received stock (some have even sold them) and most will be getting them over the next few days. Perhaps the 'in stock' alert was tripped by an automated system as they were scanned into stock inventory.

OK i'll go back to my quiet place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've finally decided to order the Asus Crosshair VI X370 board and 8gb 3200mhz ram to go with my 1800x. Hopefully it should be here next week.
    The reasoning for 8gb ram is I'm waiting for board/ram compatibility to settle down so I can choose some faster/larger ram that will definitely work with the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Serephucus wrote: »
    It doesn't really make sense. The whole point of Ryzen is that it's scaleable through modular parts (CCXs). If they have to bin parts such that they end up with a 4+0 config, that inflates prices and limits scaleability.

I'd imagine the new APU's will be single ccx designs.

beno619 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the new APU's will be single ccx designs.

For the higher-end ones, yeah, I'd tend to agree. Depends though how much die space they want to dedicate to the GPU/RAM though.

Its interesting to see what happens when you crossfire 2 ati 480's with a Ryzen 1800x then take on the Intel's 7700K with nvidia 1070 (playing on DirectX 11 and 12) in the game that came off worst in Ryzens benchmarks: Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I'll just drop the link here and you can follow it if you want as it's a little long winded but man it gets very interesting towards the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tfTZjugDeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Its interesting to see what happens when you crossfire 2 ati 480's with a Ryzen 1800x then take on the Intel's 7700K with nvidia 1070 (playing on DirectX 11 and 12) in the game that came off worst in Ryzens benchmarks: Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I'll just drop the link here and you can follow it if you want as it's a little long winded but man it gets very interesting towards the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tfTZjugDeg

Watched that earlier on today. Interesting alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Wait till the british pm pulls the trigger om brexit and watch the poind fall around her ankles ðŸ˜

Yeah that really worked out for ya :pac:

413377.jpg

Thankfully I got my case and psu, Think I'll order my mobo next week then the ram followed buy cpu trying toi wait for the ram issue to be resolved :/

• Advertisement

Good guide on overclocking Ryzen memory/data fabric on the Asus Crosshair 6 Hero.

First Ryzen 5 benchmarks are starting to show themselves.

This one is NOT even the flagship R5 1600X, it's the 1400 (With/Without) OC vs i5 7400 vs G4560 on a RX 480 8GB.

Once more it's very interesting to see which proc is being maxed out and to be frank hammered in a few games too.

Can't wait til the full on 1600 and X get benched.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Good guide on overclocking Ryzen memory/data fabric on the Asus Crosshair 6 Hero.

Thanks I dont feel that confident about ram over clocking as I've never tried it before, have you or do you have any links to where I could get an idiots guide to it?

Thanks I dont feel that confident about ram over clocking as I've never tried it before, have you or do you have any links to where I could get an idiots guide to it?

I've done it years ago. It's dodgier than cpu or gpu overclocks as instability can stop the system even posting or it can corrupt windows.

This might have been fixed with newer boards like this though, there's an easy button for resetting the cmos so if it doesn't post you're sorted. I'd still be wary of trying to boot into your main OS drive with it unless it's a fresh install on a clean SSD so if it corrupts you don't risk losing anything important.

S*&t been coded to perform bad? Ha AdoredTV was right all along.

If you're up for learning how driver are optimised (or not in so many cases)

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoZB-cnjc0&t=0s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Haven't seen anything official yet (so pinch of salt etc), but there's chat on other forums that the latest patch for Total War: Warhammer boosts performance on Ryzen by ~10%.

Haven't seen anything official yet (so pinch of salt etc), but there's chat on other forums that the latest patch for Total War: Warhammer boosts performance on Ryzen by ~10%.

Watched a video yesterday where a reviewer stated that just a BIOS (UEFI) update pushed Tomb Raider up by about 15 FPS alone! few other games too...

*EDIT* Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX_WEvEzR64

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

First sign of official pricing for Ryzen 5 in the UK.

1600 = 220GBP
    1500X = 190GBP
    1400 = 170GBP

It's on Komplets site too. http://www.komplett.ie/search.aspx?tn_q=ryzen think I'll order from there as
    I'm ordering on release date I think.
    I was chatting with Jim on adored on twitter tonight, "Trying out the new MSI Titanium 1.43 BIOS...boots much faster and supports my 3200MHz Geil memory through XMP"

He reckons about two weeks and they'll have it sorted.

• Advertisement

First sign of official pricing for Ryzen 5 in the UK.

1600 = 220GBP
    1500X = 190GBP
    1400 = 170GBP

Good to see it showing up on sites alright, not long now!

It's on Komplets site too. http://www.komplett.ie/search.aspx?tn_q=ryzen think I'll order from there as
    I'm ordering on release date I think.
    I was chatting with Jim on adored on twitter tonight, "Trying out the new MSI Titanium 1.43 BIOS...boots much faster and supports my 3200MHz Geil memory through XMP"

He reckons about two weeks and they'll have it sorted.

Wait, Komplett let you pre-order? Who knew? I'm sitting on about 10 websites this last week and none of them let me pre-order yet. Have 5 Euro off on one but it's outside the UK so will be a slower delivery time. what to do, what to do...

Good news that about the RAM. Suppose if you are going to clock your RAM try to make sure you get B die (Samsung) modules as they look to be easy to work with... and make sure your mobo have an added clock generator

To X or not to X that is the question... It may come down to a coin toss as I cant decide if it's worth the extra cash or not. I mean having the X would put you just a hair under the 1700 for 70 less.

Advertisement