Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

OK so we have an update to sort Ryzen performance/power usage in windows.

In short it adds a Ryzen option in your settings for windows power/performance settings and choosing it seams to boost some games FPS and save power. win,win!

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Im going to order my ryzen today. Cant seem to figure out which memory I sbould order. Any one got any advice gaming and some productivity, photoshop and light room?

Apart from Komplett.ie I can't see any place that let's you order (preorder)

Im going to order my ryzen today. Cant seem to figure out which memory I sbould order. Any one got any advice gaming and some productivity, photoshop and light room?

Look on the mobo own sites for tested ram type and speed. Would suggest anything above 2900 speed.
    Gone with the g.skill flareX myself

god's toy wrote: »
    Apart from Komplett.ie I can't see any place that let's you order (preorder)

Look on the mobo own sites for tested ram type and speed. Would suggest anything above 2900 speed.
    Gone with the g.skill flareX myself

Ive looked but can't seem to find it seems anything fast is best. Are you getting cl 15?

Ive looked but can't seem to find it seems anything fast is best. Are you getting cl 15?

Cl14 (from what I remember) what motherboard are you going with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Getting stock alerts thick and fast for most Ryzen 5's now. Looks like all the sites got the email at the same time telling them to sell.

Have a 5x for 283 euro from UK. Technically it's not in stock yet so a little bit of a wait...

1700x or 1600x that is the question....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As someone who's 99% a gamer, Ryzen has lost its appeal completely for me. The new 5 CPU's are generally good judging by reviews, but still inferior to Intel - average frames are similar, but few reviews show minimum frames are lagging behind competing i5's despite the extra threads, even in games that make use of more cores.

I think a lot of us also hoped that the 1600X would give us i7 performance in games for a cheaper price with the core/thread count, but that hasn't happened either. It's not miles off in some cases when you look at average frames, but overall, and especially taking into account min. frames (these are critically important), it's quite a lot short of the 6700/7700K.

Now productivity is another kettle of fish and it obviously shines there, I'm just talking from a games POV.

Maybe it will keep evolving in time but for now I'll be leaving it.

Cl14 (from what I remember) what motherboard are you going with?

Asus rog. I want the msi titanium but cant get it x vat through komplett.

• Advertisement

As someone who's 99% a gamer, Ryzen has lost its appeal completely for me. The new 5 CPU's are generally good judging by reviews, but still inferior to Intel - average frames are similar, but few reviews show minimum frames are lagging behind competing i5's despite the extra threads, even in games that make use of more cores.

I think a lot of us also hoped that the 1600X would give us i7 performance in games for a cheaper price with the core/thread count, but that hasn't happened either. It's not miles off in some cases when you look at average frames, but overall, and especially taking into account min. frames (these are critically important), it's quite a lot short of the 6700/7700K.

Now productivity is another kettle of fish and it obviously shines there, I'm just talking from a games POV.

Maybe it will keep evolving in time but for now I'll be leaving it.

For me im going back to college I'll need productivity grunt and gaming grunt. So I'm happy to stick with ryzen.

My one argument about AMD is they release good and get better over time I think we'll continue to see improvements over the next year. To bring the point of drivers and how ive found they've just gottin better and better over the last 2 years.

I cant help but think that this maybe the case with cpu's ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Even if it's a bit behind on the benchmarks does it still present good value for money if someone wants a high spec build without breaking the bank?

I think it's far too early to say how Ryzen will do on the long term. However I definitely think games will only get better seeing that right now a simple code mod bags 10's of fps and before you even understand the chip didn't exist 2 months ago.
    The amount of clawing back it's done in it's short time is huge and (hate being a broken record but..) with DirectX 12 finding it's feel it will only get better.

As i already stated, I'm putting my money down now for a 3 plus year bet and maybe it will pay off and Maybe it won't but f#$& intel for the state of play now and I'm voting with my wallet... Sure lol if we have to change back next year so be it.... And to be honest I think you'll only start to see the biggest change when games were made with it in mind so it's a few years before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder, are there still optimisation issues for gaming on Ryzen compared to the latest i7s?

I wonder, are there still optimisation issues for gaming on Ryzen compared to the latest i7s?

Id say thats a guarantee but I think the. Bench marks were pretty good for the money.

Adoreds vid is up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

One encouraging sight is that memory speed makes a genuine difference, which indicates there's headroom in the processor, unlike Intel which has shown no difference at all in changing ram. Even in gaming benchmarks, there's still some to-ing and fro-ing depending on the engine being used, so there's still room for improvements in the future.

I'd probably go for the 1500x over the 1600x though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The 1600 makes the most sense to me. Best price/performance in the line up.

Buying the X variants is pointless. They all overclock to around the same levels.

No need to go crazy with the boards either. A B350 seems to be more than good enough. The choice in the B350 range is pretty dire atm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Give it 2-3 months for stuff to settle down and more boards to come out or become available and Ryzen will look better than it does currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The i5 7600k makes 0 sense at this point for any system. You can get the 1600 for €10 more for a far superior cpu that comes with a far better stock cooler.

For a pure gaming system get a 7700k or a 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

BloodBath wrote: »
    The i5 7600k makes 0 sense at this point for any system. You can get the 1600 for €10 more for a far superior cpu that comes with a far better stock cooler.

For a pure gaming system get a 7700k or a 1600.

Yeah, most newer games max out all threads on an i5, leaves very little head room for background applications.

If you are streaming of any kind and on a budget, the 1600 is a no brainer.

• Advertisement

I have my eye on a 1600 but I'm not fully sure yet. I will give it a few weeks for more stability and things to settle a bit before I pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I have my eye on a 1600 but I'm not fully sure yet. I will give it a few weeks for more stability and things to settle a bit before I pull the trigger.

Yeah, I'd wait. If most chips cant hit 3.9/4.0 Ghz and it performs well across the board I'd go for it. I'd stump for some decent ram though. G.Skill seem to use the best ram modules (samsung) that seem to overclock much better than other moldules (hynix). If you can hit 3000mhz you will see good perf gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

In exactly the same boat here so will be watching the tech sites very closely.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd wait. If most chips cant hit 3.9/4.0 Ghz and it performs well across the board I'd go for it. I'd stump for some decent ram though. G.Skill seem to use the best ram modules (samsung) that seem to overclock much better than other moldules (hynix). If you can hit 3000mhz you will see good perf gains.

Checked amazon I have to preorder it, do you know of any where else I can get it from?

Checked amazon I have to preorder it, do you know of any where else I can get it from?

http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Composants/Memoire-PC/Memoire-DDR4/KFA2/4976653-Memoire-PC-HOF-DDR4-3600MHz-16Go-DDR4-CAS17.htm?xtor=AL-67-80[lien_profond]-120001[zanox]-[85386]

This is suppose to be good memory. I came across a post on another forum. But don't take my word on it. Also I doubt it will run at 3600MHz but then again maybe it would.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1623547/amd-ryzen-motherboard-thread/2650#post_26001314

This is the post where the guy recommends them but he bought them for alot cheaper.

OK a bit long but on the money.

RYZEN 5 REVIEW! 1500X + 1600X Gaming Benchmarks vs 7600K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvwWTQKCZs

OK a bit long but on the money.

RYZEN 5 REVIEW! 1500X + 1600X Gaming Benchmarks vs 7600K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvwWTQKCZs

Thought the 1600x showed really good average fps, very impressed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm pretty sure my new build will be based on either the 1600 or 1600X. Hopefully we'll know more about Vega by the time I go to buy in May.

• Advertisement

Thought the 1600x showed really good average fps, very impressed :cool:

Yep I agree, It's the one I'm going for as I probably can leave it stock speed for the first while and OC later if needed.

Advertisement