Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Ryzen 5 breaking 6-Core records. OC to 5905 MHz !!! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ0SxpGzbw0#t=6.912962

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

As the guy says in the above video. If the second generation of Ryzen CPU's overclock to higher frequency's on air and closed loop. Then they would be close to the record breaking frequency's on LN2.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So our golden spot now is 1600/1600x?

Hopefully when vega comes out, I would love to build from ground up my new pure amd desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Im so confused I need a pc for productivity, and gaming the 1700x seems so appealing but price to performance the 1600x seems like a great price to performance.

I can always upgrade at a latter date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Im so confused I need a pc for productivity, and gaming the 1700x seems so appealing but price to performance the 1600x seems like a great price to performance.

I can always upgrade at a latter date.

Get a 1700. You can overclock it to 1800x levels on the stock cooler and it's not that much more expensive than the 1600x.

No that much difference really between the 1700, 1700x and 1800x. Base clocks are different, but the 1700x and 1800x don't really have much more overclocking headroom, they all start to falter after 4Ghz. Most 1700's can get to at least 3.9 Ghz and may be even better binned because of the low power requirements.

Get good RAM though, G.Skill use Samsung in their kits over 3000MHz so this means they are better overclockers.

• Advertisement

1600X is waiting in Parcel Motel right now :) If I wasn't so sleepy I'd drive the 40 mins there to pick up but suppose it's best left till tomorrow.

(Just happy I have the few days off now to build and play :) )
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What board did you get?

BloodBath wrote: »
    What board did you get?

Asrock Taichi (x370) with 16GB gskill FlareX (cl14/3200)

god's toy wrote: »
    Asrock Taichi (x370) with 16GB gskill FlareX (cl14/3200)

Nice, really tempted to get the cross hair, I got my boss to order it through his business so no vat, what made you go with that as there both pretty evenly matched in terms of price?

Just order my x62 kraken and my gskill flare x 3200 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

I always had in mind the 1600/x being the sweep spot. I've gone to the blue's again for my latest build as I really didn't want to wait for mitx AM4's, so will likely review the situation again in a year or two when the 2nd gen Ryzens are on the scene.

• Advertisement

Nice, really tempted to get the cross hair, I got my boss to order it through his business so no vat, what made you go with that as there both pretty evenly matched in terms of price?

Just order my x62 kraken and my gskill flare x 3200 :D

To be honest my main wish list was bluetooth and wifi as standard (not an aftermarket/3rd party add on) on a X370 chipset and the Taichi was the only one that wasn't mad money.
    The FlareX RAM was cos of the B.die sammy chips as they have a good track record but mainly cos it was already whitelisted by Asrock as being fully compatible. The good overclocking stuff that came out afterwards was just a happy coincidence on my part.

Gonna pick up the CPU to day, play one last quick blast of fallout 4 and get building!

To be honest my main wish list was bluetooth and wifi as standard (not an aftermarket/3rd party add on) on a X370 chipset and the Taichi was the only one that wasn't mad money.
    The FlareX RAM was cos of the B.die sammy chips as they have a good track record but mainly cos it was already whitelisted by Asrock as being fully compatible. The good overclocking stuff that came out afterwards was just a happy coincidence on my part.

Gonna pick up the CPU today, play one last quick blast of fallout 4 and get building!

Ah ok, I prefer wired connections It's a really more so I want to stick with a brand I know, that brand being Asus.
    I was thinking the cross hair but taking a closer Look at the prime now. Decisions.
    Ordered G skill flare x

How's the 1600X going? what cooler are you running?

Ah ok, I prefer wired connections It's a really more so I want to stick with a brand I know, that brand being Asus.
    I was thinking the cross hair but taking a closer Look at the prime now. Decisions.
    Ordered G skill flare x

How's the 1600X going? what cooler are you running?

Cool, you'll love that RAM! and that cooler you have too is very nice too. I'm using the cooler I had on the old PC 'arctic freezer 17' and so far so good.
    Yep use wired myself but wireless is handy to have when I have to move this pc around.

So Ryzen is installed and the RAM went in at 2400 but once the XMP profile is loaded it jumps right up to 3200 :)

Windows on the other hand was having a hissy fit with all the changes.,.. in the end I had to restore windows to the factory settings and re download tuns of stuff. That's where I am at now. have to install steam next!

I have a build sitting in my basket on Mindfactory. I done the same a few nights ago but chickened out in the end. The buy button is just staring out at me saying buy me, buy me!

Should I buy it that is the question and I know I am the only one who can answer that. Maybe I should maybe I shouldn't.

My god that Flare X RAM is expensive but it is designed specifically for Ryzen and guaranteed to be Samsung chips.

I have a build sitting in my basket on Mindfactory. I done the same a few nights ago but chickened out in the end. The buy button is just staring out at me saying buy me, buy me!

Should I buy it that is the question and I know I am the only one who can answer that. Maybe I should maybe I shouldn't.

My god that Flare X RAM is expensive but it is designed specifically for Ryzen and guaranteed to be Samsung chips.

Any of the high frequency G.Skill ram are Samsung. Don't pay the premium, it's just a rebrand of a less expensive kit with an ugly heatsink on it.

Cool, you'll love that RAM! and that cooler you have too is very nice too. I'm using the cooler I had on the old PC 'arctic freezer 17' and so far so good.
    Yep use wired myself but wireless is handy to have when I have to move this pc around.

So Ryzen is installed and the RAM went in at 2400 but once the XMP profile is loaded it jumps right up to 3200 :)

Windows on the other hand was having a hissy fit with all the changes.,.. in the end I had to restore windows to the factory settings and re download tuns of stuff. That's where I am at now. have to install steam next!

Yeah, I honestly was like ugh I need to build this computer for the possibility of going back to college, so bit the bullet. on the 3200 Ryzen built ram. The cooler was a moment of RGB love :pac: Did you have to update the UEFI

Wont have
    Interested to see how you get on over the next couple of days.

I know it blew my build budget, which was disappointing. But I think its worth it. I was thinking about trident Z ram 3200 but figured it might be better going with what's recommended.

Dude I say go for it :cool:

Yeah, I honestly was like ugh I need to build this computer for the possibility of going back to college, so bit the bullet. on the 3200 Ryzen built ram. The cooler was a moment of RGB love :pac: Did you have to update the UEFI
    :

Yep one update but it updates from the bios itself so no loading the OS to update. kinda cool now that I think of it.

Yep one update but it updates from the bios itself so no loading the OS to update. kinda cool now that I think of it.

so it automatically downloads bios updates?

so it automatically downloads bios updates?

Well I had to push the update button, but yep didn't have to configure anything or load windows to update, just updated itself.

OK for those wanting to know:

After leaving it on a 8hr 'soak test' all night (playing videos on YouTube) it was still happy next day at 32C. (Air cooler)
    OK on to the games: Its true what they say about minimum frame rates as while it doesn't jump up loads (EG Fallout 4 being just a pig of under optimization so no real improvement as such) I am seeing the pc having better minimums for sure and from my own utility monitor the cpu looks must less stressed in every game and program I chuck at it.

Temps while sitting idle are CPU:32c MB:27c VRM:32c (edit: room temp was 20c at time of test)
    Temps while under load (games) CPU:47c MB:35c VRM:37c (edit. room temp was 23c at time of games)

Well I had to push the update button, but yep didn't have to configure anything or load windows to update, just updated itself.

OK for those wanting to know:

After leaving it on a 8hr 'soak test' all night (playing videos on YouTube) it was still happy next day at 32C. (Air cooler)
    OK on to the games: Its true what they say about minimum frame rates as while it doesn't jump up loads (EG Fallout 4 being just a pig of under optimization so no real improvement as such) I am seeing the pc having better minimums for sure and from my own utility monitor the cpu looks must less stressed in every game and program I chuck at it.

Temps while sitting idle are CPU:32c MB:27c VRM:32c (edit: room temp was 20c at time of test)
    Temps while under load (games) CPU:47c MB:35c VRM:37c (edit. room temp was 23c at time of games)

How are you getting on with the Ryzen build so far? (I'm just curious as I am still on the fence about upgrading).

What resolution do you game at? I'm at 1440P, 144Hz.
    I do not like how the reviewers are mostly only showing 1080P gaming results.

• Advertisement

How are you getting on with the Ryzen build so far? (I'm just curious as I am still on the fence about upgrading).

What resolution do you game at? I'm at 1440P, 144Hz.
    I do not like how the reviewers are mostly only showing 1080P gaming results.

I found these vids on gaming :1440P, I hope they are some help to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_B4gI9Bf4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acg21uMgkzo

But to answer the question fully.

Sorry to have to say this but my CPU choice should have been a giveaway to the resolution I game at... it's 1080p / 60Hz with a 1060 (6GB) GPU on a 40" monitor (I like a bigger screen over a higher resolution) As long as I have 60 fps in my pocket I am happy.

In windows 10 day to day it's a hell of a lot snapper out of the gate no question, everything loads up like a bat out of hell.
    In gaming @ 1080p I have found it to be heaps more stable at holding the minimum 60 fps in games that will make use of the extra power over my last CPU (i5-5730)
    In my more modern games the intel was clearly stressing-out running at that same level. (My monitoring software has always shown the intel chip in the red around @ 80-90% load where the AMD 1600x is in the blue around 50-60% in some cases lower too)

In older stuff the AMD 1600x has a definite stress free life while the intel still was working harder to give me the same results, in short, there is a lot less stress on the CPU now and that's a good thing going forward for overclocking as I have extra head room left for the expansion of the GPU later on without necessarily needing a faster CPU to match.
    Even in games that are a few years old and don't necessarily use the extra cores/threads, the reaction times (some loading level times), AI and post process pop in's) are miles ahead of my i5

However, it's not necessarily blowing me away with extra added FPS everywhere but then I wasn't expecting it too and truth be known nor would a new i7! They are only adding extra headroom to my existing games set up right now while setting the stage for DirectX 12 to fully be implemented down the line enabling the new multi core gaming reality be enjoyed.

Right now everything feel more snappy and giving me peace of mind for at least the next 3 years I can pop a new CPU in (should I need too) without having to buy another new motherboard and RAM combo, all the time knowing to us new ryzen user are helping to kick the industry into gear and get some real competition back for us all.

----

In this post I have added two screenshots of my Steam games line up, if anyone wants to test any of those listed there please just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Do we know if they will be adding these new zen cpus in laptops? I heard for sure vega is coming out in mobile form too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yeah there's Ryzen/Vega Apu combos coming Q3 afaik for desktop and mobile.

Waiting for komplette to stock 1600x again looks like I may be waiting, mean while, I guess ill continue to redecorate the sitting room. Keep her happy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do we know if they will be adding these new zen cpus in laptops? I heard for sure vega is coming out in mobile form too.
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Yeah there's Ryzen/Vega Apu combos coming Q3 afaik for desktop and mobile.

In the meantime Naples will be the interesting bit.

Intel make their money in the DC, if Naples does well the bull will be well and truly in the china shop.

ED E wrote: »
    In the meantime Naples will be the interesting bit.

Intel make their money in the DC, if Naples does well the bull will be well and truly in the china shop.

Yup, the market is huge too, even regaining a decent foothold in the market would be a massive boost to AMD's bottom line, leading to more money for R&D budget which is a fraction of what Intel and Nvidia can spend.

I just bought a 1700x I could get a 1600x and with the exchange rates being so pants over clockers was costing to much so bit the bullet. And order one.also ordered an Asus crosshair

Feeling really nervous about this.build as the price ive spent on it is insane for me it worked out. Feeling very nervous about this build.

How ever with my plan for streaming on twitch creative. I think long term it might be really usefull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I just bought a 1700x I could get a 1600x and with the exchange rates being so pants Overclockers was costing to much so bit the bullet. And order one.also ordered an Asus Crosshair

Feeling really nervous about this.build as the price ive spent on it is insane for me it worked out. Feeling very nervous about this build.

How ever with my plan for streaming on twitch creative. I think long term it might be really useful.
    If your streaming, AMD CPU's are a much better option, they perform better than Intel in this area and are much better value. I've an Intel 5820k and it seems to stutter every few seconds while streaming high quality even if the CPU is not maxed.
    Supposedly the AMD 8 cores don't have this issue.
    The Intel 8 core does not perform as well for streaming.

I just bought a 1700x I could get a 1600x and with the exchange rates being so pants over clockers was costing to much so bit the bullet. And order one.also ordered an Asus crosshair

How ever with my plan for streaming on twitch creative. I think long term it might be really usefull.

I'm still loving the huge speed bump I'm getting in everything the PC does now... Between Multithreading and Multitasking? Ha sooo much power now.

Best of luck with your build!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

For anyone waiting for the Ryzen 3 we will see it in early June according to the latest earnings call.
    Yes, so we are on track to launch the rest of the Ryzen portfolio in PCs. We'll launched Ryzen 3 sort of earlier in the second half, and then we will launch our Ryzen mobile towards the holiday cycle for the second half.

Source

Advertisement