Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Haven't had a chance to have a read through the earnings call yet. Anything in there RE Naples?

Edit: Still on track for low-volume Q2 launch, ramping up through H2.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

Serephucus wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to have a read through the earnings call yet. Anything in there RE Naples?

Lisa danced around it but got probed repeatedly on product mix and margins eventually dropped the below on Naples. Comments 39-41.

Sure. So look, we're really pleased with where we are with the Naples program right now. Overall, from a performance standpoint of the product and the customer engagements, it's going as we would expect. We will launch here in the second quarter. So we'll start some low-volume of revenue shipments here in the second quarter that will ramp gradually into the second half of the year. And so overall, I think that is how the server outlook will be. I think I have said before, and I did still say, that the server market has a longer design win to revenue conversion cycle. And so we would expect it to take a couple quarters for us to ramp the Naples product over time. And you should see a number of customers announcing with AMD platforms over the next couple quarters.

Yes. So we believe we're highly differentiated with Naples in the sense that we have more cores, we have more memory bandwidth, we have more I/O than our competition. So for certain workloads, I think Naples is going to do very, very well, certainly, in the cloud as well as in certain HPC workloads and big data workloads that can use all of that memory and I/O bandwidth. We will be talking more about the positioning of Naples and the key workloads as we go through the next couple of months prior to launch. But certainly, we feel that it's, again, like Ryzen, on the strength of the Zen core, we have a very, very strong foundational product. And now it's about making sure that we help our customers get to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

My 1700x arrived. At last dont think ill sleep tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

C'mon Lisa, give us Naples. Somebody needs to clean up intels C2000 mess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My 1700x arrived. At last dont think ill sleep tonight :D

Nice. I'm still contemplating buying a Ryzen system or a new(second hand) car.

Car or new system... Car or new system... Car or new system... I don't know I will hold out buying either for another while. On one hand my current car is fine but won't pass another NCT and then my current system is fine for my needs as well. I may even just save up and get both...

• Advertisement

Nice. I'm still contemplating buying a Ryzen system or a new(second hand) car.

Car or new system... Car or new system... Car or new system... I don't know I will hold out buying either for another while. On one hand my current car is fine but won't pass another NCT and then my current system is fine for my needs as well. I may even just save up and get both...

I bought a ford ,
    Focus for 750 my computer is worth alnost double

Priorities

Ps if she finds out exactly how much I spent she'll kill me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I bought a ford ,
    Focus for 750 my computer is worth alnost double

Priorities

Ps if she finds out exactly how much I spent she'll kill me

Usually I have a rule: I m not spending x amount of money on something I cant drive!
    I am driving a 1k car right now and looking for 2k laptop. I guess, my rules are very bendy. :pac:

Are you still looking for a laptop? I thought you picked one up cheaply recently.

Finally played on my new rig :D

I like a constant 60fps

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Are you still looking for a laptop? I thought you picked one up cheaply recently.

I did, its working great, but after tasting life with laptop, I am saving up for a new one with 1060. Would love aw13 again, but feck they are expensive now.

Still, my next desktop rig will be pure amd, but priority will go for laptop. Flexibility is more inportant, then bigger ePenis. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

After watching this I really need to upgrade my 1055Ts, but after AMD shares took a tumble I'm below target for buying the gear - will have to wait it out a bit longer, and likely consolidate the game and development machines into one.

But in more interesting news AMD Raven Ridge 3.0 GHz APU Engineering Sample With Quad Zen Cores Spotted – Features 704 Vega NCUs Clocked at 800 MHz

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dazberry wrote: »
    but after AMD shares took a tumble

Ignore that. AMDs numbers are smack bang on what they said they'd be before those shares were purchased. The drop was day traders taking a gamble and seeing no return, not anything AMD did poorly on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Good vid from AdoredTV on shares drop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I still stand by the opinion that I think their share price will be closer to €20 by the end of the year. I've predicted their last 2 major rises when they were at their lowest points as well as Teslas. Both increased by nearly 1000%. Could have made a fortune if I had the money to invest.

They need time to capture more of the desktop cpu market and the server and mobile markets. Still no sign of Vega yet either. We've still only had about 1/4 of their product stack for this year. All of which should be competitive.

Server especially. Once they gain traction there, things will really start to move.

New Ryzen 16 core 32 thread spotted. Quad channel memory.

https://www.google.ie/amp/wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-16-12-core-x399-whitehaven-cpus-leaked/amp/

I'm on mobile so hopefully link works.

The Videocardz source link for anyone who's interested:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-engineering-samples-update

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

16 core/32 thread turbo of 3600mhz, holy cow that's impressive, the 6950x turbos to 3500mhz and that's only 10core/20 thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

New Ryzen 16 core 32 thread spotted. Quad channel memory.

https://www.google.ie/amp/wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-16-12-core-x399-whitehaven-cpus-leaked/amp/

I'm on mobile so hopefully link works.

I take it its the same architecture and the existing core? if that's the case I suppose it will make one hell of a server chip. That 64mb total cache is a nice boost too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I assume that thing will come in under €1000 as well. Nearly half the price of the 6950x with higher cores/threads/clocks and higher performance.

AMD are wrecking intel in a lot of areas. Still have the R3 lineup to come and completely bury the i3 and i5's.

So been using the 1700x a stock clock speeds with a Rx480 on gta v very high ultra settings on the division ultra settings on B12 and it's not missing a beat my monitor is 60 hrz And I'm really very pleased I realise at higher fps monitors maybe different.

But that's further down the line, most likely​ my September. Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to test more programs Adobe suite and few other bits.

My thoughts so far. I think people have been slightly closed minds towards ryzen I think that the jays-two-cents that other gob ****e and Linus have a lot of questions they need to be asked.

Which is where is there credibility?

Because I Believe they've misled their viewers for other companies.

Basically their gob****es!

Who's "that other gob****e" in this scenario? TTL?

I doubt it is him, he praises Ryzen any time I watch his longgg videos.

Used to like TTL's videos for length. Gone off them recently. Total information is probably higher than other reviews, but terrible information density.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Used to like TTL's videos for length. Gone off them recently. Total information is probably higher than other reviews, but terrible information density.
    I used to like TTL then his videos went to ****. Lately he is getting back to his old self. Mostly since he moved in to the second apartment.

No it's your man kyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wouldn't be a fan of JayzTwoCents, but he's been fairly praising of Zen iirc. Though Kyle is a bleeding dope alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My thoughts so far. I think people have been slightly closed minds towards ryzen I think that the jays-two-cents that other gob ****e and Linus have a lot of questions they need to be asked.

Which is where is there credibility?

Because I Believe they've misled their viewers for other companies.

Basically their gob****es!

At least there are some Tubers willing to call sites out on their biased towards intel, AdoredTV to Toms Hardware.

: https://youtu.be/a87Iy7avG7o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AdoredTV veers too much between "interesting techie" and "unapologetic AMD fanboy" though.

Advertisement