Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

16 core is entry level?

I think he was more suggesting that there will be multiple lines with 16 cores, like there is 3 with 8 (1700, 1700x and 1800x) and the entry level of of 16 core variants will be around $850

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AMD: 1P 16C32T, ?Ghz, 13 seconds
    Intel: 2P 16C32T, 3Ghz, 15 seconds (Old haswellE)

Normally having two NUMA nodes really hurts you but unless their clocks are quite low in that demo are we still seeing the better IPC advantage from intel?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I thought threadripper wasn't a single processor though and is actually 2 processors, just on the same unit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Is there any sign of core unlocking, like back in the old tri-core days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I thought threadripper wasn't a single processor though and is actually 2 processors, just on the same unit

Technically yes, but from what I'm aware, it has a very fast interconnect on chip (infinity fabric) which should give it an edge over the two separate chips, connected via the motherboard, in both power and bandwidth. Haven't looked at it in too much detail though, so this is more hypothetical thinking aloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

4 processors per CCX core. 2 CCX cores in Ryzen 5 and 7. 4 CCX cores in Threadripper. They reckon single CCX cores will end up going mobile, because they will be very low power going against the intel equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Technically yes, but from what I'm aware, it has a very fast interconnect on chip (infinity fabric) which should give it an edge over the two separate chips, connected via the motherboard, in both power and bandwidth. Haven't looked at it in too much detail though, so this is more hypothetical thinking aloud.

Is it possible to bench IF against QPI?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

has anyone tried to put an older cooler onto their CPU

I have a Noctua NH-D14 and just wondering will it just work or will you need an adapter as I see Noctua offer one free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Skerries wrote: »
    has anyone tried to put an older cooler onto their CPU

I have a Noctua NH-D14 and just wondering will it just work or will you need an adapter as I see Noctua offer one free?

It depends on the motherboard you purchase.
    Some have an adapter to allow AMx type coolers to be connected while others will require you to have the official Ryzen compatible mounting equipment.
    I think ASUS was one who had the bracket to allow AMx coolers.

AMD Vega Workstation card prices

Air cooled $1199

Liquid cooled $1799

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Interesting update on Tomb Raider showing 30-40fps upgrade just by rewriting some code to actually run in a logical fashion on a modern processor.

Not to mention one light-source operation dropping from 20 seconds to 11 milliseconds.

You'd wonder how well a modern PC would perform with code that's properly designed for modern hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Hardware Canucks has switched to the 1700X

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I remember reading about the Pro in the leaks leading up to the release of Ryzen and then when we seen the release chips I just assumed they got bad information.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Ryzen 3 is expected to launch July 27th with Ryzen Threadripper processors on shelf in early August 2017. Finally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3pJ_--nf5E

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ryzen 3 early benchmarks are impressive. CPU Mark has them pegging some lower tier i5s and at a cheaper price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Alpha8 wrote: »
    Ryzen 3 is expected to launch July 27th with Ryzen Threadripper processors on shelf in early August 2017. Finally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3pJ_--nf5E

The 4core/4thread R3s are competing with Kaby lake I-5s, or are they still clocked too low for that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    The 4core/4thread R3s are competing with Kaby lake I-5s, or are they still clocked too low for that?

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+3+1200&id=3029

Not far off.

• Advertisement

I'm an old man and I'm going to shout at the sky.

Why are people going to you tube to get tech news? That video is almost 25 minutes long and half of it is talking about a website article I'd take me half that time to read in full.

*shakes fist*

Why are people going to you tube to get tech news? That video is almost 25 minutes long and half of it is talking about a website article I'd take me half that time to read in full.

*shakes fist*

He does speak the truth though.

*shakes fist*

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    A video is worth a thousand pictures.

ipso facto, a video is worth a million words, right?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

*shakes fist*

Because this guy is willing to do the research and REPORT THE TRUTH no matter what it is! I see the steps hes taking and can verify them myself if I need to... So many of the well known review/tech/shill websites have, over the years, become lazy and just regurgitate the marketing blubber they are feed from the manufacture and I simply cant trust them anymore.

Only a few months ago people were jumping to put Ryzen 'benchmarks' down by damming it's numbers (when all/most games were already optimized for Intel...) was/IS evidence of this bias thinking within the desktop users, at least he will call it out.

But he's not doing the research. He's reading aloud from anandtech.

lets say sifting through the blurb of others to find the answers. Saves me from doing it.

Don't see how, if you have to sit through a 25 minute video to get through 10 minutes worth of reading.

Don't see how, if you have to sit through a 25 minute video to get through 10 minutes worth of reading.
    Each to their own I guess.

A lot of times he does not get the review samples of whatever hardware is about to be released so he has to rely on the collective reviews of those who do receive samples for review.
    If he notices trends he call calls them out and if he sees bias in benchmarking he calls that out also.

He also purchases the hardware to review once it goes on general release to prove or disprove his hunches.

He might come across as an AMD fanboy but I think he's a fairly straight shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

SickBoy wrote: »
    He might come across as an AMD fanboy but I think he's a fairly straight shooter.

He has a heavy bias in favour of AMD and its worth keeping that in the back of your mind when listening to him.

Advertisement