Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

beno619 wrote: »
    Its common knowledge that they are salvaged or disabled Zen dies.

It wasn't until he pulled it apart. It was meant to be two dies of two joing 4 core CCX parts, meaning 16 cores over 4 CCX's. In this case, its clearly 4 dies and 8 CCX's. Which is a huge difference due to the architecture.

So these seem to be duds from the EYPC range, which is not what people were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It wasn't until he pulled it apart. It was meant to be two dies of two joing 4 core CCX parts, meaning 16 cores over 4 CCX's. In this case, its clearly 4 dies and 8 CCX's. Which is a huge difference due to the architecture.

So these seem to be duds from the EYPC range, which is not what people were expecting.

I wasn't expecting that either but it kinda makes sense when you think about it as the chip is the exact same size as the EPYC, It could have been smaller if there was only two dies on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Again, I can't help but think back to when everybody was unlocking tri-core and chips to quad core! Probably wouldn't be possible here because of the different socket, but potentially could go from 12 to 16 on the 12 core part?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ReZonator

Apparently the extra dies are in fact dummy cores. They help to stabilise the structural integrity of the chip.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3211409/computers/why-ryzen-threadripper-has-two-mysterious-chips.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

ReZonator wrote: »
    Apparently the extra dies are in fact dummy cores. They help to stabilise the structural integrity of the chip.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3211409/computers/why-ryzen-threadripper-has-two-mysterious-chips.html

I had read that this morning, and it's probably true, but the thing I find strange is how the blank/dummy cores are also using indium solder and gold plating to attach in the same fashion as the working cores to the heat spreader. Maybe it's just part of the process and keeps things standard?

... and I also find it strange that AMD wanted the video taken down.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

This is the exact scenario that did happen. The Battlelog forums were crammed full of people specifically with insane CPU usage issues when the game was first released and for a very long time afterwards.

What Lukker described is exactly how the game performed for a huge number of people using anything other than an i7/Xeon. Some maps are (were?) definitely worse than others.

Fair enough. I do see a lot of people reporting fps dip issues with BF1 but for the most part these issues are fixable. My point was the quads are great for budget builds and you can get even BF1 64 to run 1080 ultra with the likes of a 570/580/1060 with a solid 60+ fps.

If you have the monies get the 1600 though. It's only €100 more. If not you can upgrade to a 6-8 core gen 2 or 3 down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's the thing that really is great about Zen, and I think people have largely forgotten because of Intel in recent years; You can pick up an €80 board now, and throw an R3 in it, and three years from now you can throw an R7 3 in it, and both of them can be overclocked.

Finally, not having to buy the xxxxK just to be able to get more "value" out of it.

I also reckon we will eventually see a 32 core threadripper CPU. When exactly is any body guess but the socket can obviously accommodate it.

Adored unboxing of Threadripper CPU's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Review of a AlienWare thread-ripper system from Linus. My only take away is that a 120mm AIO is not going to cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Threadripper reviews starting to surface.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1465-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-1920x/

Seems to wallop current Intel HEDT in productivity tasks. That said don't think I'll need 16 cores for a long time! Will be a good while before my needs exceed my 3770 and require an upgrade. Game changer for anybody who can use it,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Seems to be a hell of a workstation platform

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Even if the reviews are fully correct, a depressing amount of people will buy from Intel just cos it's Intel, they are the best.

Looks like AMD have worked some magic once again though, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I don't know. One aspect of these monster multithreaded chips/platforms is that they're still being benchmarked with single-task max throughput workloads. What do the differences look like when you've got multiple tasks running simultaneously, like browsing+ office apps+ visualization tools? Or benchmark a game while also streaming?

I don't know. One aspect of these monster multithreaded chips/platforms is that they're still being benchmarked with single-task max throughput workloads. What do the differences look like when you've got multiple tasks running simultaneously, like browsing+ office apps+ visualization tools? Or benchmark a game while also streaming?

What this video from where I have in starting.

https://youtu.be/bmRQmr_G3ew?t=18m52s

dazberry wrote: »
    I had read that this morning, and it's probably true, but the thing I find strange is how the blank/dummy cores are also using indium solder and gold plating to attach in the same fashion as the working cores to the heat spreader. Maybe it's just part of the process and keeps things standard?

D.

Well well well - they don't appear to be dummy cores after all ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

What ram is everyone using for Zen? Is there any decent 3000/3200 16gb sets for in and around €150ish or a little more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

xtal191 wrote: »
    What ram is everyone using for Zen? Is there any decent 3000/3200 16gb sets for in and around €150ish or a little more?

I'm using Flare X DDR4-3200 16GB (8GBx2) CL14-14-14-34.

I'm using Corsair 16GB Vengeance 3200MHz (2x 8GB) on an ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS and it's rock solid. BUT when I bought the kit as part of the build it was UK£137.48 on scan.co.uk in July, it's now UK£158.99 and apparently RAM prices are only going one way :(

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

https://www.amazon.de/G-Skill-F4-3200C16D-16GTZB-Trident-PC25600-Grau-Schwarz-Rot/dp/B015FY3BJ2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505916819&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=trident+z+ddr+3200

You would have to Parcel Motel to UK address though. About €160 altogether Parcel Motel included.

You could also go low latency and get a 2400 MHZ kit for the same price. CL12 2400 MHZ with tight sub timings have shown to be as fast or faster than higher latency 3200Mhz ram with Ryzen.

Ideally you want low latency high speed ram to compensate for Ryzens slow L3 cache which is linked to RAM speed. You could be looking at 10-20% better performance with low latency 3200Mhz vs low latency 2400Mhz.

Not only will it improve the maximum fps it has an even bigger impact on the minimums. It is game/program dependant though. Some see no difference.

That stuff ain't cheap though but it's probably worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

BloodBath wrote: »
    Ideally you want low latency high speed ram to compensate for Ryzens slow L3 cache which is linked to RAM speed. You could be looking at 10-20% better performance with low latency 3200Mhz vs low latency 2400Mhz.

Not only will it improve the maximum fps it has an even bigger impact on the minimums. It is game/program dependant though. Some see no difference.

That stuff ain't cheap though but it's probably worth it.

Yup, 200ish at least for 3200 CL14 16GB. I'd like to see more comparisons like CL12 DDR 2400 VS. CL16 3200 because they are about 150e, the price point that makes most sense for the average Ryzen build (imo)

I always recommend 3200 RAM for Ryzen but if I was getting some myself I would go for the more expensive 3200 CL14. But as always most peoples budget doesn't allow for that.

First link doesn't work.

That G.Skill stuff is probably Samsung B-Die which is some of the best you can get. Very pricey though.

You could get some CL15 stuff if you want to save a few beans. There won't be much between them performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Fixed the link above

Both of those should be Samsung B-Die which is the best stuff for Ryzen.

Personally I would go for the CL14 ones.

• Advertisement

Xtal what graphics card and monitor are you pairing with your Ryzen?

Advertisement