Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

A 290x and a Dell U2414H, at the moment I'm just upgrading to a 1600, B350 and 16gb ddr4, the gpu and monitor will do me for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

xtal191 wrote: »
    A 290x and a Dell U2414H, at the moment I'm just upgrading to a 1600, B350 and 16gb ddr4, the gpu and monitor will do me for another while.

I had a 290 non x before great overclocking card. You would not need to upgrade your card as your monitor is only 60Hz. I'd even say that 290x would even push as far as 144Hz at 1080p if you were to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Apparently Gen 2 Ryzen will be at 12nm and gen3 will be 7nm. Both will work on current Ryzen AM4 mobos.

http://wccftech.com/amd-pinnacle-ridge-matisse-cpus-leaked-launching-2018-2019-respectively-am4-picasso-apu-succeeding-raven-ridge/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

BloodBath wrote: »
    Apparently Gen 2 Ryzen will be at 12nm and gen3 will be 7nm. Both will work on current Ryzen AM4 mobos.

http://wccftech.com/amd-pinnacle-ridge-matisse-cpus-leaked-launching-2018-2019-respectively-am4-picasso-apu-succeeding-raven-ridge/

Be waiting on gen 3 so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

So I've gotta a bit of a question, im upgrading to a 1440p monitor and a 1080ti, I know im mixing brands I do feel dirty. :D.

I've a 1700x clocked at 3.8 1.44 and ita running great ive been testing it with 95, gaming while streaming. Next week I'll up it to 3.9. But currently it's been great would ryzen manage playing games @1440p streaming and transcoding to 720p @ 60fps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So I've gotta a bit of a question, im upgrading to a 1440p monitor and a 1080ti, I know im mixing brands I do feel dirty. :D.

I've a 1700x clocked at 3.8 1.44 and ita running great ive been testing it with 95, gaming while streaming. Next week I'll up it to 3.9. But currently it's been great would ryzen manage playing games @1440p streaming and transcoding to 720p @ 60fps?
    Should work great.
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2993-amd-1700-vs-intel-7700k-for-game-streaming/page-2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I got my R7 1700x and some 3600MHz ram on the way, cant wait! Prioritised ram speed over CPU for Ryzen performance shenanigans, its a topsy turby world! Pairing it with 2x 1080Ti on a x370 Fatal1ty board. Got to do some benchies on this Haswell 4.4Ghz build and see how it compares vs Ryzen.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I got my R7 1700x and some 3600MHz ram on the way, cant wait! Prioritised ram speed over CPU for Ryzen performance shenanigans, its a topsy turby world! Pairing it with 2x 1080Ti on a x370 Fatal1ty board. Got to do some benchies on this Haswell 4.4Ghz build and see how it compares vs Ryzen.

Nice. The 1700 is just as good as the 1800X when overclocked.

Buildzoid on AM4 boards for overclocking (very relevant for 6 / 8-core Ryzen):
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3131-the-best-amd-ryzen-motherboards-for-overclocking-x370-b350

High-End:
    ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
    Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7
    ASUS Strix X370-F Gaming

Mid-Range:
    ASUS X370-Pro
    Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5

Low-End:
    ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4

Honorable mention:
    ASRock AB350 Pro4 / AB350M Pro4

• Advertisement

Our first Ryzen 5 2500U benchmarks are in and Intel has every reason to worry
    As fast as a Core i5-8250U but with more than double the graphics performance, the Ryzen 5 2500U is launching with just the momentum AMD needs in the notebook space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's damned impressive.

I wonder what sort of battery life improvements we can expect to see in ultrabooks. Similar, if not lower idle power draw, and only about 20% more load power for double the graphics horsepower (vs. 6200U, at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I saw another pre-review set of figures which don't paint the battery life in a very flattering light at all. However this was only one test out of many which could have been run, and maybe there are still optimisations to be done.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/ryzen-mobile-benchmarks-and-performance-analysis?page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I saw another pre-review set of figures which don't paint the battery life in a very flattering light at all. However this was only one test out of many which could have been run, and maybe there are still optimisations to be done.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/ryzen-mobile-benchmarks-and-performance-analysis?page=3

It should be worth noting that Intel laptops have a significant advantage in terms of Windows interacting with drivers for power savings. But what I got out of that article is the HP laptop has a screen with a very power inefficient backlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Has anyone had any experience with an aftermarket air cooler on a R5 1600?

My stock cooler is quite loud, and rumbles under load. Considering a Hyper 212 EVO or similar tier cooler (Cryorig h7 etc).
    OC'd to 3.8Ghz at 1.33 volts, temps are fine, 35 idle, up to around 65 when gaming, its just the noise that is annoying. Even under light load it starts to grumble.

Maybe it's vibration noise?

jebidiah wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with an aftermarket air cooler on a R5 1600?

My stock cooler is quite loud, and rumbles under load. Considering a Hyper 212 EVO or similar tier cooler (Cryorig h7 etc).
    OC'd to 3.8Ghz at 1.33 volts, temps are fine, 35 idle, up to around 65 when gaming, its just the noise that is annoying. Even under light load it starts to grumble.

Maybe it's vibration noise?

Are you sure you have it seated correctly?

Are you sure you have it seated correctly?

It was my first time building a pc, so maybe not? What would I have done wrong?

jebidiah wrote: »
    It was my first time building a pc, so maybe not? What would I have done wrong?

I don't know without seeing it but from the description you gave it seems very likely as that isn't normal but then again it could well be a faulty CPU cooler.

I don't know without seeing it but from the description you gave it seems very likely as that isn't normal but then again it could well be a faulty CPU cooler.

A fiddle with bios fan curve settings seems to have done it. The fan was running up to 2000 RPM under load. Even with custom fan curves in the gigabyte fan control software, the bios setting was overriding the CPU fan curve.

Maybe I should increase the speed of case fans so overall temps are lower

It should be worth noting that Intel laptops have a significant advantage in terms of Windows interacting with drivers for power savings. But what I got out of that article is the HP laptop has a screen with a very power inefficient backlight.

Looks like another review confirms that; both intel and ryzen variations of the same Envy have crap battery life.

I'm also encouraged by Ryzen's win in the Excel match test as this is a real-world productivity test most reviewers don't bother with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Zen2 for Q2 2018, so most likely a paper launch around April

Their current launches have been just under the wire so I would expect Zen 2 on 30th Jun. At least there's an upgrade path for current buyers, which is another reason to support the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If they get the same yields as Zen its possible they will have no problems stocking it.

so I would expect Zen 2 on 30th Jun.

I'd say it will be released sooner than then, that is if GlobalFoundries are ready with the 12nm FinFet process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I'd say it will be released sooner than then, that is if GlobalFoundries are ready with the 12nm FinFet process.

Various sites reporting February/Match, with same number of cores & clocks up to 4.4ghz.

http://www.techradar.com/news/amds-next-gen-ryzen-processors-could-arrive-in-just-a-couple-of-months

Pity the 12 core rumours turned out to be false. That would have been epyc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

How do I justfy a new cpu to my wife?

Don't tell her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The old one had a virus

Or

Wait till she is away for an hour or so and swap it in and get rid of the packaging. Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

Park a few quid of your own money aside for a few weeks to save up, and just buy it for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Inviere wrote: »
    Park a few quid of your own money aside for a few weeks to save up, and just buy it for yourself?

That would go against the female mantra of whats hers is hers and whats yours is hers too.
    Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

Redfox25 wrote: »
    That would go against the female mantra of whats hers is hers and whats yours is hers too.
    Lol

The male mantra of accepting that nonsense is worse again :p

Advertisement