Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

How is Fatal1ty still a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No idea. I'd say most people don't even know who he is/was anymore.

Shroud is the new FPS god.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Varik wrote: »
    How is Fatal1ty still a thing.

https://twitter.com/FATAL1TY/status/1060833638055579648

Don't hate the player :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Don't mean it that way, but Is he still a player?

Does he compete at all anymore.

I've got an ancient motherboard with his name on it and for some stupid reason a backwards PCI slot for a included soundcard.

Varik wrote: »
    Don't mean it that way, but Is he still a player?

Does he compete at all anymore.

I've got an ancient motherboard with his name on it and for some stupid reason a backwards PCI slot for a included soundcard.

Looking at his Twitter feed, he just won... a 4v4 competitive mobile shooter? :pac:

He stopped competing seriously years ago though.
    Vo0 made a comeback last year but apparently Fatal1ty told him he won't come back for 1v1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For a time they literally stamped that 'Fatal1ty' branding on anything going.

I remember at one point seeing an expensive 8500GT 'Fatal1ity' edition that cost more than a cheap 8600GT and was about half the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Quick question, I was watching one of Panjo's YouTube videos on optimizing Windows 10. Most of stuff I have done already, but I did make some of the changes he suggested.

One thing I was curious about, when I got my Ryzen 5 1600, most forums said to use the Ryzen Balanced power plan even if overclocking the CPU. Does this even make sense? If I have the OC set to 3.8 is it running that on all cores all the time? Should I be using high performance instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jebidiah wrote: »
    Quick question, I was watching one of Panjo's YouTube videos on optimizing Windows 10. Most of stuff I have done already, but I did make some of the changes he suggested.

Christ, 90% of that video is such a load of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

"Make Windows run faster!"

*disables everything*

Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Serephucus wrote: »
    "Make Windows run faster!"

*disables everything*

Reminds me of the 'How to get days of battery life out of your smartphone' threads ... In short, turn it into a dumb phone.

He's got a bunch of "Dramatically increase your FPS in [x game]" videos. Didn't watch any, given his Windows one, but I'm assuming it's "turn everything to lowest, possibly edit an ini file or two to make this look even more ****".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Reminds me of my days trying to play rFactor on a laptop with Intel HD 4000 graphics. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Reminds me of my days trying to play rFactor on a laptop with Intel HD 4000 graphics. :o

Years ago a friend of mine used to play Dawn of War on the integrated graphics of a single core Celeron....at lowest settings, it used to drop to single digit FPS during intense battles.

I don't know how people do it to themselves!

jebidiah wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

What impact do you think the following have on gaming in Windows 10?

Turning off windows features like
    Notifications, Snap Too, Remote Desktop, Background Images, Maps, Game DVR, Diagnostics, Graphical features for windows desktop, Startup programs
    And other "enhancements" like,
    Manually setting the number of cores
    GUI booting and timeout options
    Balanced or Higher Power plans
    Changing the Network Throttling registry edit(bonus marks for the person who can tell me what that actually does, I have a pretty good idea what it is)
    Bunch of other registry settings around priority and scheduling.
    Deleting temp files
    Core parking
    Running CCcleaner.
    TimerResolution
    SFC scannow

Go ahead, run some benchmarks before and after. Sets of 5. See how much improvement you get. Should be about the same.

What impact do you think the following have on gaming in Windows 10?

Turning off windows features like
    Notifications, Snap Too, Remote Desktop, Background Images, Maps, Game DVR, Diagnostics, Graphical features for windows desktop, Startup programs
    And other "enhancements" like,
    Manually setting the number of cores
    GUI booting and timeout options
    Balanced or Higher Power plans
    Changing the Network Throttling registry edit(bonus marks for the person who can tell me what that actually does, I have a pretty good idea what it is)
    Bunch of other registry settings around priority and scheduling.
    Deleting temp files
    Core parking
    Running CCcleaner.
    TimerResolution
    SFC scannow

Go ahead, run some benchmarks before and after. Sets of 5. See how much improvement you get. Should be about the same.

No need to get snarky mate, I was just looking for an explanation from someone who appears to know more than my self.

Of all the things you listed, actually I am 100% confident that turning off game DVR does increase performance in some games... When it first came out my FPS is csgo suddenly dropped to the 60's/70's from well over 100. Turning it off immediately sorted that. Maybe it has been better optimized since, but I always make sure it's turned off anyway.

Over all this guide was for windows optimization, so turning off start up programs that you don't use makes sense?

And turning off and Windows' fancy graphical features has been done for years to speed up the OS, no? The rest of it I don't understand. And so didn't do to my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

New Zen 2 leaks from Jim over at AdoredTV.

If true these Ryzen 3000 series will be some CPU's hitting the magical 5GHz on boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The chiplets design really looks like it'll pay off.

• Advertisement

The chiplets design really looks like it'll pay off.

It does alright. I still have to laugh at the white paper Intel brought out when first gen EPYC was released stating glued together and what are they doing themselves bringing out a glued together server chip.

It's amazing the possibilities and significant cost saving that can be done with a chiplet design. All I really want to know is how is the latencies. First gen Ryzen had it bad well relitively speaking(compared to Intel) and they lowered it with Zen+ so all we can do is wait and see how Zen 2 is.

Jesus, I hope that's true. A 100 quid 6 core part will make it so Intel has no competitive products outside of very high end gaming.

Yup, 3600X for me next year.

Finally jumping off my 4790K.
    But damn, if a TR 3920X isn't tempting for my server... C'mon ASUS, release the damn X399-WS already!

*If* These leaks are true or near-to, I can't see anyone buying Intel for at least six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

There is another leak floating around regard X570 motherboards supporting PCI 4.0 which if it turns out there true, Intel is in a world of hurt.

Venom wrote: »
    There is another leak floating around regard X570 motherboards supporting PCI 4.0 which if it turns out there true, Intel is in a world of hurt.

I'd say that is 100% true. Especially since EYPC 7nm and so are Vega 7nm supporting the standard not that those two products are for consumers but if the standard is ready why not release products compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yup, 3600X for me next year.

Finally jumping off my 4790K.
    But damn, if a TR 3920X isn't tempting for my server... C'mon ASUS, release the damn X399-WS already!

*If* These leaks are true or near-to, I can't see anyone buying Intel for at least six months.

I have to laugh, there is a thread where someone was worried about the obsolescence of the AM4 platform in 2020 !?!

With announcements like this from AMD they're going to do some major hurt to Intels for regular consumer and gamer builds

I haven't upgraded my I7 this year but will definitely be setting aside the cash for Ryzen next year

RIP the resale value of my i7-5820K :pac:

If that 3600X is for real though I'll definitely upgrade, extra clockspeed should help with 1440p/144Hz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    RIP the resale value of my i7-5820K :pac:

I'm having the same thoughts now, the new AMD chips look like they'll be priced competitively but they'll hurt resale value on current tech

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

will56 wrote: »
    I'm having the same thoughts now, the new AMD chips look like they'll be priced competitively but they'll hurt resale value on current tech

I'd rather cheaper new tech, than being able to get a higher price for my old second hand tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

will56 wrote: »
    I have to laugh, there is a thread where someone was worried about the obsolescence of the AM4 platform in 2020 !?!

With announcements like this from AMD they're going to do some major hurt to Intels for regular consumer and gamer builds

I haven't upgraded my I7 this year but will definitely be setting aside the cash for Ryzen next year

One thing to take into account is that while the CPU socket will stay the same, you might need an X570 board to gain any new improvements like PCI-E 4.0 and whatever else AMD has up their sleeve. I believe using an X370 board with second gen Ryzen chip loses the ability to use Store MI and won't have as good ram support as an X470 board. There is also the issue that first and second gen Ryzen boards may not have the VRM's to handle 3 series chips.

Advertisement