Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It also really excites me for the console space, current tech is still using the ancient Jaguar based tech, the next refresh using tech based on Ryzen would be an animal and could possibly be the biggest move thus far in bridging the gap. The XB1X has a monster console GPU but limited by the CPU tech.

Also really interested to see what the next gen of APU brings. Sort of the opposite of what I said above, these are starting to bridge the gap between cheap consoles and baseline PC cost for similar/superior experience. That 3600G slapped into a tiny MITX case with fast RAM could be incredible.

The $99 six-core CPU is extremely intriguing too. What I love about options like that is that it massively frees up your budget to go crazy on a GPU if you're looking at 1080p/1440p 60hz gaming.....without having to worry about framedrops and minimum frames like with the i3-8100 or Ryzen 1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    RIP the resale value of my i7-5820K :pac:

If that 3600X is for real though I'll definitely upgrade, extra clockspeed should help with 1440p/144Hz :)

As a current 5820k owner, that boat sailed when you could pick up new 2600/1700's for 160 quid. I'm sure you will still see 5960x processors looking for 900 quid on ebay though.

I just wish Ram prices would come back down cheaper then what I paid for 3 years ago, I'm due a upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My 5820K clocks higher than most Ryzen 2600 tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not Zen talk but if the rumours about the next Navi GPU's are right then that is going to be a big 2 fingers up to Nvidia

https://wccftech.com/amd-rx-3080-3070-3060-navi-gpu-specs-prices-leaked-rtx-2070-gtx-1070-gtx-1060-challengers-at-249-199-129/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Skerries wrote: »
    not Zen talk but if the rumours about the next Navi GPU's are right then that is going to be a big 2 fingers up to Nvidia

https://wccftech.com/amd-rx-3080-3070-3060-navi-gpu-specs-prices-leaked-rtx-2070-gtx-1070-gtx-1060-challengers-at-249-199-129/

If those are correct Nvidia will be forced to release a decent card and admit the 20 series was a piss take.

Imagine 1080/2070 performance for €250.

Now of ram prices could sort themselves out we can build good cheap machines again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If those are correct Nvidia will be forced to release a decent card and admit the 20 series was a piss take.

Now of ram prices could sort themselves out we can build good cheap machines again.

I don't know if those prices are correct they seem on the low side as Navi is a monolithic GPU and not a chiplet design like Zen 2 so they can not keep the costs down as much as the CPU side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

What's the story with the asymmetrical core/thread count on some of these? The below suggests a 8/12 cpu...is this 6 hyperthreaded cores and two standard cores on the same die?
    Then, there's the Ryzen 5 3600X which is again an eight-core, 12-thread processor clocked at 4GHz, with a boost of 4.8GHz, a TDP of 95W and a price of $229 (around £180, AU$320). Both of these could be revealed at CES

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-next-generation-16-core-processors-leaked

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Inviere wrote: »
    What's the story with the asymmetrical core/thread count on some of these? The below suggests a 8/12 cpu...is this 6 hyperthreaded cores and two standard cores on the same die?

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-next-generation-16-core-processors-leaked

No, it's a mistake. It should be 8 core 16 thread. Looks like they have fixed the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't know if those prices are correct they seem on the low side as Navi is a monolithic GPU and not a chiplet design like Zen 2 so they can not keep the costs down as much as the CPU side of things.

I've decided I'm upgrading my monitor in the post Xmas sales and I'm trying to decide if I should buy into gsync or freesync. This Navi news regarding price is messing with me. Was going to stay green but jeez, tempted to buy a freesync 1440p and gamble the rumours are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

The 6 core 4.0GHz/4.6GHz 3600X looks like a pretty sweet deal. Those clk speeds sound credible aswell. It would make a nice upgrade of my 6700k, might finally be worth an upgrade too.

With the 8 core though, I'm not sure I can see the 5GHz turbo panning out so soon. For the last 5/6 years looking at the increments, they tend to be more incremental than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If these rumours are true then it's a full 7nm AMD build for me next year.

Ryzen 3600X with an RX3080. If those naming conventions are true then it's a big big middle finger to Nvidia. They did the same with Ryzen naming in fairness targeting intel's naming scheme with Ryzen 3, 5, 7 and now 9 as well.

That's pretty much a full high end build possible for under 1k. A big upgrade for me for about €400 after selling old parts although the value of those will probably drop drastically by then. 3770k, 16gb ddr3-2400, good asus board, gtx970, and a h100 should surely still fetch around €300 by then.

It's entirely possible. This is a proper 7nm process and they aren't pushing for much higher performance than Vega so the die size should be quite small. Hence the low price and the power consumption.

I'd still expect the good after market versions to be around €50 more and the same price in euro as in dollars so around €300 for a good 3080. Overclocking should be interesting too. Vega overclocked very well but with massive power consumption. These at 7nm and much lower starting power consumption figures should make them good overclockers.
    With the 8 core though, I'm not sure I can see the 5GHz turbo panning out so soon. For the last 5/6 years looking at the increments, they tend to be more incremental than that.

Same thing going to 7nm is huge for this. The smaller the process node the higher the clock speeds possible and a jump from 14nm to 7nm is huge. I do find it strange in the specs that the higher core variants had higher boost speeds. It's not normally what you get but maybe they get the better binned chips and that is single core boost only.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I'm thinking about going with something like R5 2600 for now, with x470 board, to change for new R5. Could go even more money saver mode if I went for B450.
    Are there any information about new mobo chips?

No information, just rumours at this stage.
    If you want to be sure about motherboard compatibility going forward, take a look at GN/Buildzoid's "Best B450/X470 motherboards" and choose something with good VRM design, as that will be important for multi-core overclocking.

5GHz Zen who would have known. Jim over at Adoredtv must have good sources. He predicted a fair few things in 2018 including this.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/1546461554308-png.113901/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Adored latest video regarding Ryzen 3, Vega 2 and Navi

A cheap 250 quid AMD card with 2070 level performance would be epic :)

Jesus, a 16 core 24 thread desktop cpu is just a smack in the face to Intel.

Jesus, a 16 core 24 thread desktop cpu is just a smack in the face to Intel.

I reckon the top brass in Intel are wearing their brown pants right about now :D

Not to mention the 3700X runs at the same 5GHZ but with double the cores and threads as Intel's main gaming CPU, the 8700K!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm now holder of a first class ticket on the Ryzen3 hype train...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

As an owner of X470 board I want it to be true, we just have to wait for CES and hopefuly we will get some answers then. For now it looks to good to be true.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    As an owner of X470 board I want it to be true, we just have to wait for CES and hopefuly we will get some answers then. For now it looks to good to be true.

There are far too many leaks from multiple sources at this stage regarding the Ryzen 3 chips, for them not be pretty outstanding going by the lowest stats leaked to amazingly epic going by the highest. Depending on the X470 boards in question, I reckon the high end and top-tier boards will have beefy enough VRM's to handle the 3 series chips but will probably lack the ability to handle some new features like PCIE 4.0 and even better ram support tho the latter may just require a bios fix.

• Advertisement

I'm on the hype train but I don't believe the core count/clock speed or prices will be 100% accurate.

10 Vega cores and a boost of 4ghz on the mobile cpu's is quite impressive.

And low TDP also.

I still cannot wait till Wednesday for the desktop reveal.

Nvidia starts to enable FreeSync on select monitors(should be possible to enable on all then).

Must be something in AMD's upcoming CES keynote graphics wise that has them worried.

Nvidia starts to enable FreeSync on select monitors(should be possible to enable on all then).

Must be something in AMD's upcoming CES keynote graphics wise that has them worried.

Ironically, this might get me to stay by not upgrading from 980 Ti :pac:

These are the current Nvidia supported Freesync monitors.

6-g-sync-compatible-monitors-672x324.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Venom wrote: »
    These are the current Nvidia supported Freesync monitors.

6-g-sync-compatible-monitors-672x324.jpg

No, those are just the ones that have paid Nvidia to test them. This is more of a nice to have, given that Nvidia have just said the "mainstream" price target is 350 quid for the 2060, they must believe Navi isn't going to be much better than Vega, and both companies have too much old crap in the channel to worry about next gen pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Well I caved and bought the RTX 2080 :P ...GSync monitor was the next big purchase on the horizon.. but maybe I can save a bit now and geta solid freesync one and not lose out :D

• Advertisement

No, those are just the ones that have paid Nvidia to test them. This is more of a nice to have, given that Nvidia have just said the "mainstream" price target is 350 quid for the 2060, they must believe Navi isn't going to be much better than Vega, and both companies have too much old crap in the channel to worry about next gen pricing.

Not even that, those are the 12 models of the 400 tested that Nvida were willing to certify.

Any freesync or adaptivesync monitor can be used by turning on an option in the drivers though.

Advertisement