Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I had the 270HU but now have the 27CQ. Anyway, it's welcome news, but I think both Freesync and Gsync are largely irrelevant to the mainstream and have been totally overblown. Not dismissing the technology or what it offers, but the amount of times I see Freesync and Gsync mentioned on budget threads....it's honestly not a worthwhile consideration for 95% of builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I disagree Terror. What I think is a waste is 144Hz. I personally cannot see the difference but I do notice the difference of Freesync.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I disagree Terror. What I think is a waste is 144Hz. I personally cannot see the difference but I do notice the difference of Freesync.

I can definitely notice the difference in games, even using my own pc with a different monitor the screen tearing effect is immediately obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

High-refresh is more a thing you feel rather than see.

Players have noticed the difference between 60Hz & >60Hz since the CRT days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So i sold my black friday upgrade(R5 2600) to a mate for his sons PC and also sold my oculus rift so im back in the market for a new cpu. Be much closer to what i had in mind originally before the money was needed elsewhere.

So really hopin AMD blow us away with the 3xxx series. Any ideas on release dates?

I know we will find out in about an hour but im getting impatient:P

Where is the fast forward button? :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

game4it70 wrote: »
    Where is the fast forward button? :pac:

No one cares about any of this shít. We just want to hear about the new products. I'd love for a company to just release the details of all their new shít in a PDF or something on a website and let the tech sites go to town on it.

Anyone else feel like Dr. Su's using some "Trumpian" language?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

30 minutes in and we start getting actual details of what the new processors are like compared to the old ones. What a waste of 30 minutes.

• Advertisement

Radeon 7 is triple-fan out of the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

"great performance for gamers ... Performance leadership ... In content creation and compute"

Just give us a decent 1440p card at under 200 quid please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

RTX 2080 level performance!

Sweet.

Now tell us the price.

Anandtech has crashed, possibly from boredom.

Here we go, details!

$699
    Release date 2019-02-07

...fúck.

Ah ffs just finishing off a rebuild and was only looking to replace the Amd 2600 cpu.Hmm new gpu is tempting....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Cinebench test looks promising

So Zen 2 is outperforming i9-9900K at 30% lower power draw - but not available for at least 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ryzen 7 is meh, 2080 performance at the same price. if nvidia release a 1180 at 600 their screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

ryzen 7 is meh, 2080 performance at the same price. if nvidia release a 1180 at 600 their screwed.

*Radeon 7.

• Advertisement

Did the RTX 2080 not launch at $799? I recall there being something dodgy about the prices Nvidia announced at the press event, with the actual prices being more expensive for the founder's edition.

That Radeon 7 looks to be a fairly decent card and reasonably priced considering what you get. 4096bit memory bus 16 GB's of HBM and 7nm Vega.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So what did the announce besides an expensive Vega 2 card?

I read something about a cinebench test of a CPU that out performed the 9900k but no details?

I read something about a cinebench test of a CPU that out performed the 9900k but no details?

I didn't watch it either I was flushing the coolant on my car.

Afaik they didn't release much details so I guess Hardware Unboxed were right. They said there will be no details released at CES a couple of days ago in their news corner video.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Anandtech has a fair bit of detail here

They waffled for 90 minutes about partnerships and ideas and stuff then announced a halo product that's not very interesting and does nothing to change the landscape.

They waffled for 90 minutes about partnerships and ideas and stuff then announced a halo product that's not very interesting and does nothing to change the landscape.

E-sport games tend to be really well optimized and run great on very low specced hardware, so I really don't get the point of having e-sports partners on stage at some of these tech events like Dell yesterday and AMD today when the tech brands are trying to push their latest and greatest hardware confused.png

Venom wrote: »
    E-sport games tend to be really well optimized and run great on very low specced hardware, so I really don't get the point of having e-sports partners on stage at some of these tech events like Dell yesterday and AMD today when the tech brands are trying to push their latest and greatest hardware confused.png

They are supposedly really popular atm not that I play them myself or anything.

I guess it's fortunate that A-Sync is coming to Geforce, because I'm not upgrading for another year looks like.

• Advertisement

Steve from Gamers Nexus with some more details regarding Vega 7, Ryzen 3 and X570 mobos.

It's looking like good news for X470 board owners that plan on picking up the new chips in that only a bios update will be needed and even PCI-E 4 compatibility could get added if the board makers choose to do so, tho personally I would be surprised at that happening. I don't think PCI-E 4 is really going to be that big a deal for a long time for 99% of users, as even the latest top tier GPU's won't currently max out PCI-E 3.

Advertisement